ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags defamation cases , lawsuits , media criticism , Nathan Phillips , Nick Sandmann , protest incidents , racism charges

Old 4th August 2019, 02:18 PM   #2241
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Even Hillary never tried to claim all Trump supporters were "deplorable".

They made a choice to be so.
Old 4th August 2019, 03:11 PM   #2242
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This is not about race.
And race isn't the only kind of bigotry.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 03:14 PM   #2243
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
That's right, and yet virtually all of them were offended, because virtually all of them don't consider racists, xenophobes, misogynists, and homophobes to be "deplorable" as long as they vote for Republicans. Hillary should have deduced that from the very fact that they support Trump in the first place, and I personally don't care to sort out the deplorables from the merely dispicables.
It's a peculiar thing, this substitution of political virtue for personal virtue. Doesn't matter how someone actually behaves, what matters is how they vote.

Quote:
You completely dodged my point about bigotry against a self-selected group. But that's your specialty, isn't it.
What is there to say? I cannot lift this darkness from your eyes.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 03:45 PM   #2244
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

It's a peculiar thing, this substitution of political virtue for personal virtue. Doesn't matter how someone actually behaves, what matters is how they vote.
Absolute ********. There's a difference between being discriminated against because of your skin color or country of origin and being discriminated against because you're a reactionary ******* and proud of it. No, regardless of your word games, liberals are not required to be "tolerant" of racists and racist apologists. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm sick of people who put on MAGA hats, literally of figuratively, to make a political statement and then don't want to own what that means to people who can smell what trumpism is all about.

Apparently that's because you have no idea what I'm talking about, or find it convenient to pretend that you don't.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 04:06 PM   #2245
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And race isn't the only kind of bigotry.
That's ridiculous. If a person chooses to be evil there's nothing wrong with discriminating against them for being evil.
Old 4th August 2019, 04:08 PM   #2246
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Supporting Trump isn't a political choice. It's a choice between right and wrong, loyalty and treason. I have no problem with conservatives. I have a problem with people who betray their country. I fail to see where tolerance and understanding with people who are bigots and traitors to their country are virtues.
Old 4th August 2019, 04:55 PM   #2247
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Absolute ********. There's a difference between being discriminated against because of your skin color or country of origin and being discriminated against because you're a reactionary ******* and proud of it.
You keep asserting that this is an accurate description of everyone who wears a MAGA hat, but that was never actually established.

Quote:
I'm sick of people who put on MAGA hats, literally of figuratively, to make a political statement and then don't want to own what that means to people who can smell what trumpism is all about.
Thatís quite a power, being able to tell others what they mean. How did you get it?
Old 4th August 2019, 04:58 PM   #2248
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Supporting Trump isn't a political choice. It's a choice between right and wrong, loyalty and treason.
Of course. The wrong politics is always treason to progressives like you. Which gives you every excuse to do anything to them.

That couldnít ever possibly lead to bad outcomes. Nope, it always works out well.
Old 4th August 2019, 05:14 PM   #2249
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Of course. The wrong politics is always treason to progressives like you. Which gives you every excuse to do anything to them.

That couldnít ever possibly lead to bad outcomes. Nope, it always works out well.
I know about the bad outcomes. Magascum are a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Old 4th August 2019, 05:50 PM   #2250
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I know about the bad outcomes. Magascum are a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Of course youíre willing to sacrifice others, because you imagine you will escape judgment. And after all, Utopia can only be built on a pyre.
Old 4th August 2019, 08:23 PM   #2251
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Thatís quite a power, being able to tell others what they mean. How did you get it?
Dude, I determined what wearing a MAGA hat means by listening to what their self-obsessed cult leader tells them. You still don't want to talk about how nobody is born with a MAGA hat on, and nobody is required to keep it on after this race-baiting demagogue lies to you every other sentence. If you want to tell the world that you support him, you're telling the world something about yourself, so own it or take the damn thing off. Maybe you think blacks and Hispanics would be fine in Trumpland if they would just turn white.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:07 PM   #2252
Ranb
Philosopher

Anyone know where to find the exact Washington Post article that Sandmann sued over? I was unable to read it on the WA Post website due to my ad blocker months ago, and even now with the ad blocker off I can't find it again. Is it still available?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:23 PM   #2253
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If you support Trump you support or condone bigotry. End of discussion.I
I think the attempts of people where to deny it are getting more ludricous by the day.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:23 PM   #2254
mgidm86
Philosopher

So many threads in this forum have devolved into the same thing. I'm reading the newest posts right now and I can't tell one thread from the next. Trump hate racist bigot you're wrong I'm right cause I say so.

For a skeptic site this place is flooded with emotion. Anger is palpable in so many posts. People have their say, make their proclamations, use some asterisks, they get heard and feel better for a while I suppose, and that's it.

I've never seen it so bad. And I can't be off-topic here because there isn't one.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:50 PM   #2255
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Supporting Trump isn't a political choice. It's a choice between right and wrong, loyalty and treason. I have no problem with conservatives. I have a problem with people who betray their country. I fail to see where tolerance and understanding with people who are bigots and traitors to their country are virtues.
That's the thing. What has always struck me about Maga is that what made America great (and even that really needs to be properly defined, but I guess we all sort of understand what it means by Great) is exactly the opposite to what Trump supporters actually think.

I could be wrong, but probably what has made America so successful in the past is their secular Constitution, freedom of speech, and of course the American Enlightenment.
Quote:
The American Enlightenment was a period of intellectual ferment in the thirteen American colonies in the 17th to 18th century, which led to the American Revolution, and the creation of the United States of America. The American Enlightenment was influenced by the 17th-century European Enlightenment and its own native American philosophy. According to James MacGregor Burns, the spirit of the American Enlightenment was to give Enlightenment ideals a practical, useful form in the life of the nation and its people.[1]
Jazz, Art, Science and freedom of expression.

If the Maga morons want to take America back to the good old days, they need to consider all these things and embrace them.

In my opinion America succeeded in spite of close minded anti intellectual individuals and that's what they are missing. The country wouldn't be the place it is without all the things they appear to hate and they don't understand that. These people would be living in an entirely different country if it had progressed with their most strict conservative ideals only.

Last edited by BadBoy; 5th August 2019 at 08:54 PM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 08:51 PM   #2256
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
So many threads in this forum have devolved into the same thing. I'm reading the newest posts right now and I can't tell one thread from the next. Trump hate racist bigot you're wrong I'm right cause I say so.

For a skeptic site this place is flooded with emotion. Anger is palpable in so many posts. People have their say, make their proclamations, use some asterisks, they get heard and feel better for a while I suppose, and that's it.

I've never seen it so bad. And I can't be off-topic here because there isn't one.
With a little effort, I'm sure you can avoid figuring out why that's so.
Old 5th August 2019, 09:05 PM   #2257
Baylor
Suspended

That's ridiculous. If a person chooses to be evil there's nothing wrong with discriminating against them for being evil.
I agree. That's why I hate Jeffrey Epstein, the pedos at Comet Ping Pong, and all the other DC freaks.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 10:59 PM   #2258
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Trump has broken so many minds. Itís kind of sad, really. But I donít think it was avoidable. The old order was failing, and people are in a panic because they donít know what their status will be in a new order. And they blame that all on Trump, but heís just the herald of change, not the cause.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:21 PM   #2259
Cabbage
Suspended

Trump has broken so many minds. It’s kind of sad, really. But I don’t think it was avoidable. The old order was failing, and people are in a panic because they don’t know what their status will be in a new order. And they blame that all on Trump, but he’s just the herald of change, not the cause.
Nice spin, bro, but the fact is not everyone is as quick to embrace incompetence as you are.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 11:31 PM   #2260
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Trump has broken so many minds. Itís kind of sad, really. But I donít think it was avoidable. The old order was failing, and people are in a panic because they donít know what their status will be in a new order. And they blame that all on Trump, but heís just the herald of change, not the cause.
That reads like Chapter One of a dystopian novel, but what I find amusing is the irony, given Trump's reliance on white resentment of the old order failing.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:50 PM   #2261
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I agree. That's why I hate Jeffrey Epstein, the pedos at Comet Ping Pong, and all the other DC freaks.
Is it Tribute to The Utterly Insane Day in Spokane? Are you gonna do a shout out to the Bush Paedophile Ring in Nebraska, too? Maybe the secret subterranean submarine base in Nevada?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 12:53 AM   #2262
Hungry81
Master Poster

Trump isn't a new order. He is an icon of what is bad about the existing order. He hasn't drained the swamp, he has damed it and diverted more sewerage into it. Trump supporters were and are being conned.

Last edited by Hungry81; 6th August 2019 at 01:03 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 01:47 AM   #2263
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Please. Let's not pretend Trump is anything but a temper tantrum on a massive scale by bigots disloyal to their nation. Bigotry and treason are things that are good and just to hate.
Old 6th August 2019, 04:49 PM   #2264
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Is it Tribute to The Utterly Insane Day in Spokane? Are you gonna do a shout out to the Bush Paedophile Ring in Nebraska, too? Maybe the secret subterranean submarine base in Nevada?
Is it I can't comprehend day in Trafficking, Thailand? No where did I say "ring."
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 05:19 PM   #2265
Cabbage
Suspended

Is it I can't comprehend day in Trafficking, Thailand? No where did I say "ring."
Uh....nobody claimed you said "ring", bro. It was a question: "Are you gonna....."

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 17th August 2019 at 01:22 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 06:31 PM   #2266
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

1. Remove the reference to trafficking. This is not the first time you've made such insinuations.
2. You are promoting Comet Ping Pong, better known as Pizzagate. A completely fictitious conspiracy theory; one that inspired one of your fellow travelers to lock and load to go do something about it.

That is what the reference was to. You are promoting conspiracy theories under the pretense of "just speaking my mind".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 08:04 PM   #2267
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
1. Remove the reference to trafficking. This is not the first time you've made such insinuations.
2. You are promoting Comet Ping Pong, better known as Pizzagate. A completely fictitious conspiracy theory; one that inspired one of your fellow travelers to lock and load to go do something about it.

That is what the reference was to. You are promoting conspiracy theories under the pretense of "just speaking my mind".
1. no
2. no I'm not. Comet Ping Pong is a pizza restaurant, not a conspiracy theory.
Old 6th August 2019, 08:50 PM   #2268
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

1. no
2. no I'm not. Comet Ping Pong is a pizza restaurant, not a conspiracy theory.
1. Too bad. Thought I'd give you a chance to demonstrate that you grok that being a man involves more than merely reproducing offspring. Grow up.
2. This is a bald-faced lie. You never heard of Comet Ping Pong outside of the context of the Q-Scum conspiracy theory. You know it. I know it. Everyone reading this thread knows it.

Old 7th August 2019, 12:34 AM   #2269
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The bigotry is in considering everyone who doesn't share your political beliefs to be evil.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 02:02 AM   #2270
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
The bigotry is in considering everyone who doesn't share your political beliefs to be evil.

Strawman. 'If you don't like bigotry, you're a bigot.'
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 02:34 AM   #2271
Belz...
Fiend God

Wearing a Trump hat is evil?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 03:36 AM   #2272
applecorped
Suspended

Dude, I determined what wearing a MAGA hat means by listening to what their self-obsessed cult leader tells them. You still don't want to talk about how nobody is born with a MAGA hat on, and nobody is required to keep it on after this race-baiting demagogue lies to you every other sentence. If you want to tell the world that you support him, you're telling the world something about yourself, so own it or take the damn thing off. Maybe you think blacks and Hispanics would be fine in Trumpland if they would just turn white.

That was special
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 03:39 AM   #2273
applecorped
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Nice spin, bro, but the fact is not everyone is as quick to embrace incompetence as you are.

applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2019, 07:10 AM   #2274
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

That was special
Are you suggesting that trumpism is a birth defect? If so, I suppose I should temper my contempt with sympathy.
Old 8th August 2019, 06:18 AM   #2275
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Strawman. 'If you don't like bigotry, you're a bigot.'
Is the first sentence a characterisation of the second? You should have added a colon instead of a period.

I don't think that not liking bigotry makes one a bigot.

Nor do I think that wearing a MAGA hat defines one as a bigot, which is why my opinion differs from your quote, and as such your quote is, as you perhaps were saying, a strawman.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 05:27 PM   #2276
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wearing a Trump hat is evil?
No if you're wearing one you're showing off that you're a racist and racism is certainly evil.
Old 8th August 2019, 05:46 PM   #2277
Belz...
Fiend God

No if you're wearing one you're showing off that you're a racist and racism is certainly evil.
We've been through this before. It shows no such thing. People support Trump for a number of reasons. Hell, some of them even manage to convince themselves that he's not a racist, so they don't even consider themselves as ignoring that racism for their own ends.

Your claim here is just as valid as someone saying that wearing a Che T-shirt is showing off that you're a communist.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 05:51 PM   #2278
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

We've been through this before. It shows no such thing. People support Trump for a number of reasons. Hell, some of them even manage to convince themselves that he's not a racist, so they don't even consider themselves as ignoring that racism for their own ends.

Your claim here is just as valid as someone saying that wearing a Che T-shirt is showing off that you're a communist.
If you'd sell out people of color for your own interest, that makes you a racist. You can't support Trump and not be a racist.
Old 8th August 2019, 05:53 PM   #2279
Belz...
Fiend God

If you'd sell out people of color for your own interest, that makes you a racist.
Not by any definition of "racist" that I know of. Which one are you using?

That's not the only issue I have with your post, but I'll come back to the rest after I'm sure exactly what you mean by the word.

Old 11th August 2019, 09:05 AM   #2280
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Not by any definition of "racist" that I know of. Which one are you using?

That's not the only issue I have with your post, but I'll come back to the rest after I'm sure exactly what you mean by the word.
So you would consider voting for a racist because you like his financial policy ideas to not be a racist act? You know you're voting for someone who will cause people of color to take it in the shorts but that's okay because he's good for your 401K. Yeah, nothing remotely racist about that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics