ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 21st October 2019, 02:50 PM   #841
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Agreed. It's perfectly fair to draw the obvious adverse inference when someone fails to produce documents requested by a board of directors or congressional committee.
Oh, indeed. I'm not sure you understand the nature of my argument, nor the points on which we actually disagree.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 02:53 PM   #842
Cabbage
Suspended

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Until I found out his involvement with Theranos, I assumed Mattis understood Trump as well as I did, and believed the nation would be better for having someone like himself as Secretary of Defenese. That is, he joined the cabinet not out of respect or loyalty for Trump, but to ensure a certain amount of sanity and professionalism in the area of national defense. And when he left, I assumed he'd given it his best effort, and needed a break. Now? I'm not so sure.

What about you? What did you think of Mattis, before he became Secretary of Defense? Did your opinion of him change when you learned he'd "joined Team Trump" and taken a Cabinet position? Did your opinion of him change when he stepped down from that role?
To be honest, I wasn't really familiar with Mattis before he joined Team Trump. That wasn't the gist of what I was referring to, anyway:

What I was referring to is how you seem to hold it against Mattis because he got conned (or maybe you think he was in on the con?) by Elizabeth Holmes. I'm saying you shouldn't hold it against him simply because he got conned--After all, you are being conned by Donald Trump as we speak.

That was my point.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 02:54 PM   #843
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Agreed. It's perfectly fair to draw the obvious adverse inference when someone fails to produce documents requested by a board of directors or congressional committee.
Oh, indeed. I'm not sure you understand the nature of my argument, nor the points on which we actually disagree.
I agree with your reply as well. Indeed, I doubt whether even you understand the nature of your argument, nor the points on which we actually disagree.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:07 PM   #844
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump today mocks the US Constitution. "You people with your phony Emoluments Clause".
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:13 PM   #845
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump today mocks the US Constitution. "You people with your phony Emoluments Clause".
This particular Trmp statement reminded me of that old joke from Groucho Marx:

"Who are you going to believe?

Me or your own lying eyes?"
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:30 PM   #846
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
This particular Trmp statement reminded me of that old joke from Groucho Marx:

"Who are you going to believe?

Me or your own lying eyes?"
Groucho?

Trump has gone from calling the news "Fake" to referring to the Constitution as "phony". The Republican chairman to the homeland security committee just called the FBI and the CIA as untrustworthy.

They really are trying to turn the world upside down.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:37 PM   #847
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
To be honest, I wasn't really familiar with Mattis before he joined Team Trump. That wasn't the gist of what I was referring to, anyway
I'm not familiar with Mattis either, but I found this quite illuminating :

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...riefing-229865

I think he's been shaped by the military culture he's spent his adult life in, which can make him seem too trusting in other settings.

Quote:
What I was referring to is how you seem to hold it against Mattis because he got conned (or maybe you think he was in on the con?) by Elizabeth Holmes. I'm saying you shouldn't hold it against him simply because he got conned--After all, you are being conned by Donald Trump as we speak.
I think you'll find theprestige is talking about Mattis, not Trump. Any minute now...

What I do know about Mattis is his delicious line about Trump winning his spurs. And not just because I'm a Spurs fan.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:41 PM   #848
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Groucho?

Trump has gone from calling the news "Fake" to referring to the Constitution as "phony". The Republican chairman to the homeland security committee just called the FBI and the CIA as untrustworthy.

Is he calling the constitution phony, or is he alleging that the complaint against him is pseudo constitutional and phony?

It seems like your rebuttal depends on begging the question.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:48 PM   #849
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Is he calling the constitution phony, or is he alleging that the complaint against him is pseudo constitutional and phony?

You'll make any excuse for him. That we can count on.

Trump's use of the government to enrich himself is obvious. This man lies about everything. He lied to avoid taxes by understating the value of his properties and lied to lenders overstating the values of those same properties.

Do you really think it's proper for the President to steer business to himself?
Old 21st October 2019, 03:51 PM   #850
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Theprestige, do you think Trump holding the G7 Summit at his Doral property would have been violating the Emoluments Clause?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:54 PM   #851
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the quote in context (near the end of the video, maybe 5/6th of the way through.)

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...t-g-7-n1069606

No way to tell what he means.
Old 21st October 2019, 03:56 PM   #852
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump's use of the government to enrich himself is obvious. This man lies about everything. He lied to avoid taxes by understating the value of his properties and lied to lenders overstating the values of those same properties.

I'm wondering were the Saudis stayed in NYC prior to 2016? Was it Trump Int'l or other hotels?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 03:58 PM   #853
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Theprestige, do you think Trump holding the G7 Summit at his Doral property would have been violating the Emoluments Clause?
Or this?
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/208
Quote:
U.S. Code § 208.Acts affecting a personal financial interest
Quote:
(a)Except as permitted by subsection (b) hereof, whoever, being an officer or employee of the executive branch of the United States Government, or of any independent agency of the United States, a Federal Reserve bank director, officer, or employee, or an officer or employee of the District of Columbia, including a special Government employee, participates personally and substantially as a Government officer or employee, through decision, approval, disapproval, recommendation, the rendering of advice, investigation, or otherwise, in a judicial or other proceeding, application, request for a ruling or other determination, contract, claim, controversy, charge, accusation, arrest, or other particular matter in which, to his knowledge, he, his spouse, minor child, general partner, organization in which he is serving as officer, director, trustee, general partner or employee, or any person or organization with whom he is negotiating or has any arrangement concerning prospective employment, has a financial interest—
Shall be subject to the penalties set forth in section 216 of this title
Old 21st October 2019, 04:04 PM   #854
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The meltdown has not been contained, evidently.

Quote:
Trump is being consumed by L'Affaire DNC Server, and taking all his intestinal worms down the gullet with him. It's a convoluted construct, of which he can have only the foggiest concept : he knows Italy's in it (from recent public ramblings) but not that Mifsud (who he?) was an Italian asset who set up poor Georgie the Greek.

L'Affaire DNC Server puts me in mind of Palmerston on the Schleswig-Holstein question : "Only three people understand it. One is mad, one is dead, the third is me and I've forgotten." Only Childlike Empress can understand this question.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 04:05 PM   #855
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm wondering were the Saudis stayed in NYC prior to 2016? Was it Trump Int'l or other hotels?
They also leased office space in Trump Tower after he was elected POTUS.
Old 21st October 2019, 04:13 PM   #856
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Is Trump incapable of communicating? Or does he obfuscate deliberately? What's your opinion? IMO, of course, he's incapable of communicating, [SNIP].
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12

Last edited by kmortis; 22nd October 2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 21st October 2019, 04:15 PM   #857
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

His exact words seemed to cast doubt on the reality of the emoluments clause.

Of course he is abysmal at expressing himself.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 04:15 PM   #858
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Dear Leader is always right...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 04:18 PM   #859
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
No way to tell what he means.
Nor what he doesn't mean. What Trump says can mean whatever you dream. That's how it works.

Old 21st October 2019, 04:18 PM   #860
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to know this too.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 04:24 PM   #861
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

At one point in the Cabinet meeting he referred to a trade agreement with North Korea.

ETA: Kinda off topic I know

Last edited by Minoosh; 21st October 2019 at 04:28 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 05:54 PM   #862
Belz...
Fiend God

And once again, Trump is literal when it's convenient, and metaphorical when it's not.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 06:34 PM   #863
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

From the book: Mattis wanted Theranos devices on the field, informing treatment of troops in realtime. This was routed to the Army's office of regulatory compliance. The compliance officer raised ethical concerns about Theranos' regulatory strategy, which he shared with the FDA. The FDA also found the strategy concerning. Mattis knew this. Instead of prompting him to take a closer look at the company, it prompted him to summon the Army officer and make him explain himself.

The upshot of that meeting was that Mattis agreed that Theranos devices didn't meet regulations necessary to actually be used on troops in the field. Instead, it was proposed that Theranos do a more limited trial, using anonymized blood samples. While this wouldn't save lives, it would at least prove Theranos' capability to do accurate blood tests on small samples. Theranos didn't have this capability, and never followed through with the trial.

Even though Mattis supposedly wanted this tech in the field with his troops, he apparently did not notice that the company whose board he joined never actually made any real attempt to get there.

And it's not so much about what Mattis knew and when. It's about the fiduciary responsibility of a board of directors to direct the company. There were things he should have known, but didn't. Like the fact that Theranos never actually did any kind of calibrating study, where their results were compared to known-good results. The revenue projections they were showing the board were based on partnership contracts that were never produced when requested by board members. Etc.

There's a lot of basic stuff that Theranos was doing wrong, that should have been noticeable to anyone who asked even simple questions. Just the failure to produce definitive documents when requested by board members should have been enough. Assuming Mattis were actually interested in that.
So he got taken in by a fraud (he did lose money on the whole thing) just like a lot of other people. That's why you soured on him? Really? It's not because he broke ranks with (and mocked) the filthy Russian whore you're so enamored of? That's not it?
Old 21st October 2019, 06:36 PM   #864
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

dupe

Last edited by Craig4; 21st October 2019 at 06:40 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 06:40 PM   #865
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why would you think this? He's demonstrated his stupidity and dishonesty so many times. He said, "You people with this phony Emoluments Clause." That's all there is to it. No need to look for deeper meanings. It's what he said and if he doesn't like it, the stupid bitch should learn his place and keep his mouth shut.

Anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear knows he's not a loyal American. Why is it so hard for you to think he thinks a part of the Constitution isn't real? I understand how you need to find ways to tell yourself you're still a loyal American in spite of your vote for a Russian whore.
Old 21st October 2019, 09:49 PM   #866
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

And it's not so much about what Mattis knew and when. It's about the fiduciary responsibility of a board of directors to direct the company. There were things he should have known, but didn't.

<snip>

I thought boards of directors were nothing but sinecures for the rich and powerful and their offspring, with the sole purpose of enabling them to skim yet more wealth off the top at the expense of hapless mutual funds and pension investments.

Maybe Hunter wasn't such a bad guy after all?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 09:59 PM   #867
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I was very wary of someone called "Mad Dog".
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:15 AM   #868
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

And money donated to children with cancer. Let's not forget that.
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:22 AM   #869
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Time magazine has posted a list they will keep updated of every subpoena for documents connected with the inquiry, and when the deadline for each is or was

At the moment there are 8 subpoenas where the deadline has passed.
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:11 AM   #870
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I was very wary of someone called "Mad Dog".
Het hates that name.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:55 AM   #871
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So it looks like at least some Republicans are still behind Trump on the whole impeachment thing...

From: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...ment-testimony
House Republicans stormed a closed-door hearing Wednesday morning to protest Democrats' impeachment inquiry, breaking up the deposition of a top Defense Department who was testifying about President Trump's dealings with Ukraine.
Some of Republicans who barged into the hearing room were in possession of cellphones, a violation of the rules governing the so-called sensitive compartmented information facility.

Of course, everyone here should recognize that while the hearings aren't necessarily public, the Republicans do have representation on the committees performing the inquiry. This is just an attempt at a distraction.

And for the party that complained about Hillary's emails, breaking security protocols by bringing cell phones into a room where they should not be is a little bit hypocritical.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:00 AM   #872
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I kind of wish the media, at least the headlines and bylines, would make more distinction between "Impeachment" and "Conviction through Impeachment."

I keep reading things like "Impeachment grows more likely" and "Inner circle tells Trump impeachment is inevitable" and aren't clear if they are talking the House starting Impeachment Proceedings (which is gonna happen... whenever) and Trump being impeached in the way the masses think of the term; being removed from office which isn't gonna happen.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:03 AM   #873
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So it looks like at least some Republicans are still behind Trump on the whole impeachment thing...

From: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...ment-testimony
House Republicans stormed a closed-door hearing Wednesday morning to protest Democrats' impeachment inquiry, breaking up the deposition of a top Defense Department who was testifying about President Trump's dealings with Ukraine.
Some of Republicans who barged into the hearing room were in possession of cellphones, a violation of the rules governing the so-called sensitive compartmented information facility.

Of course, everyone here should recognize that while the hearings aren't necessarily public, the Republicans do have representation on the committees performing the inquiry. This is just an attempt at a distraction.

And for the party that complained about Hillary's emails, breaking security protocols by bringing cell phones into a room where they should not be is a little bit hypocritical.
Maybe they were taking a leaf from the book of their white supremacist base and were livestreaming their shenanigans?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:03 AM   #874
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

From: https://www.thedailybeast.com/former...is-not-a-crime
...former acting U.S. Attorney General Matthew Whitaker defended the president by claiming “abuse of power is not a crime.”...
Whitaker stated. “What evidence of a crime do you have? So the Constitution—abuse of power is not a crime.”

So I guess we can end the impeachment proceedings.

Seriously, that seems almost as bad as Mulvaney's "Trump is still in the hospitality business" or Giuliani's "Trump didn't do it but he did" as far as making Trump look bad.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:06 AM   #875
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
From: https://www.thedailybeast.com/former...is-not-a-crime
...former acting U.S. Attorney General Matthew Whitaker defended the president by claiming “abuse of power is not a crime.”...
Whitaker stated. “What evidence of a crime do you have? So the Constitution—abuse of power is not a crime.”
I.... this.... I mean he--

I have nothing.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:09 AM   #876
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's debatable. Meadmaker started a thread to debate that and related legal questions recently, but it fell apart almost instantly due to lack of enthusiasm for actually debating such questions.

Feel free to head back over to that thread, if you find you're now enthusiastic about it. I won't debate it here, though.
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:11 AM   #877
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I kind of wish the media, at least the headlines and bylines, would make more distinction between "Impeachment" and "Conviction through Impeachment."

I keep reading things like "Impeachment grows more likely" and "Inner circle tells Trump impeachment is inevitable" and aren't clear if they are talking the House starting Impeachment Proceedings (which is gonna happen... whenever) and Trump being impeached in the way the masses think of the term; being removed from office which isn't gonna happen.
I agree with an addition.

There is currently an Impeachment inquiry going on. This is not Impeachment. But the Republicans are all in a twist because it's not in public. How many inquiries and/or investigations are conducted in public?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:11 AM   #878
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I.... this.... I mean he--

I have nothing.
Don't worry one of the Trumpers will be along any minute to.... "HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!" why this makes perfect sense.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:12 AM   #879
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's debatable. Meadmaker started a thread to debate that and related legal questions recently, but it fell apart almost instantly due to lack of enthusiasm for actually debating such questions.

Feel free to head back over to that thread, if you find you're now enthusiastic about it. I won't debate it here, though.
It's ******* debatable? Just how far backwards are you prepared to bend? You were asked a direct question and you danced around it. Answer the question. Stand for something.

Last edited by acbytesla; 23rd October 2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:14 AM   #880
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I agree with an addition.

There is currently an Impeachment inquiry going on. This is not Impeachment. But the Republicans are all in a twist because it's not in public. How many inquiries and/or investigations are conducted in public?
Don't worry about it. It's in the same folder as the "we can't confirm a SCOTUS justice in a President's final year in office!"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics