IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bob Graham , Saudi Arabia conspiracies

Old 1st November 2020, 11:14 AM   #161
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Whatever they did or didnít endorse, the result was the same.
Presumably you haven't endorsed terrorism either. But terrorism has resulted just the same. Shall we examine your undeniable contribution to this result?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 07:20 PM   #162
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Presumably you haven't endorsed terrorism either. But terrorism has resulted just the same. Shall we examine your undeniable contribution to this result?

I don’t endorse terrorism, but then again, I also am not a government official who had directed accredited diplomats and intelligence officers to assist known al-Qaeda operatives in settling in a country.

Why do you go out of your way to give Saudi Arabia the benefit of the doubt? These weren’t random “rogue” members of the royal family or minor government officials funding jihadists in their spare time. These were accredited diplomats at the Saudi embassy in Washington, the Saudi consulate in Los Angeles, and people believed by the FBI to have been Saudi intelligence officers.

The hijackers had help and the full extent of it is being hidden.

Last edited by Allen773; 1st November 2020 at 07:28 PM.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2020, 10:08 PM   #163
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

I'm pretty sure that's not how monarchies work. A duchess doesn't speak for the crown just because she happens to be the queen's sister, and has royal income of her own that she invests in her personal interests or even "in the interests of the crown".

Historically, royal family seems to be a source of conflict and rebellion as often as not. But I admit I haven't examine the Royal Charter of Saudi Arabia, or whatever doctrine of entitlement establishes the kingdom and its authorities. Maybe being born into the House of Saud actually does make one a minister of the crown. But that's not the way it is in the UK, is it?
No, the UK royal family doesnít ever hold Ministerial posts. In Saudi Arabia, though, certain Ministries do tend to be governed by Saud family members. Their foreign Ministers, for instance, have only not been a member of the house of Saud for 8 years of the 88 that KSA has existed. The Defence and National Guard posts are similar.

In Brunei, the Sultan is also Prime Minister, Defence Minister, and Foreign Minister. His son is Senior Minister. Qatar has lots of its ministerial posts filled by al-Thani members. Iím not sure how representative that is of monarchies, though itís probably a good indicator of whether youíre living in a constitutional monarchy or an absolute monarchy in all but name.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:22 AM   #164
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
No, the UK royal family doesnít ever hold Ministerial posts. In Saudi Arabia, though, certain Ministries do tend to be governed by Saud family members. Their foreign Ministers, for instance, have only not been a member of the house of Saud for 8 years of the 88 that KSA has existed. The Defence and National Guard posts are similar.

In Brunei, the Sultan is also Prime Minister, Defence Minister, and Foreign Minister. His son is Senior Minister. Qatar has lots of its ministerial posts filled by al-Thani members. Iím not sure how representative that is of monarchies, though itís probably a good indicator of whether youíre living in a constitutional monarchy or an absolute monarchy in all but name.
You're missing the point. Mycroft is suggesting that being a member of the royal family of Saudi Arabia automatically makes you a government minister, and makes everything you do automatically an official act of the Saudi government.

I'm pretty sure that even in monarchies that commonly assign government positions to family members, being a family member doesn't by itself automatically make you a government agent acting in an official capacity.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:58 PM   #165
Leftus
Master Poster

You're missing the point. Mycroft is suggesting that being a member of the royal family of Saudi Arabia automatically makes you a government minister, and makes everything you do automatically an official act of the Saudi government.

I'm pretty sure that even in monarchies that commonly assign government positions to family members, being a family member doesn't by itself automatically make you a government agent acting in an official capacity.
I wonder if that would apply to democracies as well. As a mid level government official, does the choices I make, even during work hours, reflect the position of the federal government? If so, I really need to make better lunch choices.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 01:17 PM   #166
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
I wonder if that would apply to democracies as well. As a mid level government official, does the choices I make, even during work hours, reflect the position of the federal government? If so, I really need to make better lunch choices.
It's actually been a point of dispute, whether President Trump's tweets are official government communications.

Last time I checked, the dispute orbited around an equivocation between "yes, it's official: the president really did tweet these things and they are rightly part of the historical record of his presidency" and "these tweets have the force of official government policy, equivalent to an executive order or a signed treaty".

ETA: And even in the case of an official like the Pope, there's the concept of ex cathedra - of speaking officially with the full authority of the office, as opposed to speaking unofficially and informally, rather than Pontiff-as-such.*

Or here on this forum we see the same distinction writ small, every time a mod appends "not as mod" to their post.

---
*This is actually a good example of "the exception proves the rule". The fact that there exists a specific term for when the Pope is speaking officially implies that the Pope can also speak unofficially.

Last edited by theprestige; 2nd November 2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 2nd November 2020, 05:22 PM   #167
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

I was just clarifying.

In answer to your second paragraph, it probably depends how much the king likes you! But, no, youíd probably end up with a pretty schizophrenic government when the royal family has 2000 members, as the house of Saud is reputed to.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:46 PM   #168
Leftus
Master Poster

It's actually been a point of dispute, whether President Trump's tweets are official government communications.

Last time I checked, the dispute orbited around an equivocation between "yes, it's official: the president really did tweet these things and they are rightly part of the historical record of his presidency" and "these tweets have the force of official government policy, equivalent to an executive order or a signed treaty".

ETA: And even in the case of an official like the Pope, there's the concept of ex cathedra - of speaking officially with the full authority of the office, as opposed to speaking unofficially and informally, rather than Pontiff-as-such.*

Or here on this forum we see the same distinction writ small, every time a mod appends "not as mod" to their post.

---
*This is actually a good example of "the exception proves the rule". The fact that there exists a specific term for when the Pope is speaking officially implies that the Pope can also speak unofficially.
But those tweets are done in his official capacity under his title. I'm talking about me, going to Wendy's or Jack in the Box and not, say McDonalds, as some sort of endorsement of bacon cheeseburgers on behalf of the federal government. Or posting here on breaks, not under my real name or official position.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:50 PM   #169
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
But those tweets are done in his official capacity under his title. I'm talking about me, going to Wendy's or Jack in the Box and not, say McDonalds, as some sort of endorsement of bacon cheeseburgers on behalf of the federal government. Or posting here on breaks, not under my real name or official position.
So far we have seen no evidence that any member of the Saudi royal family has supported Al Qaeda as an official policy of the Saudi Arabian government. I think Mycroft's suggestion that being a member of that family automatically makes one an official in that government is very, very silly.
Old 30th December 2020, 01:07 AM   #170
Allen773
Graduate Poster

So far we have seen no evidence that any member of the Saudi royal family has supported Al Qaeda as an official policy of the Saudi Arabian government. I think Mycroft's suggestion that being a member of that family automatically makes one an official in that government is very, very silly.
Was Prince Turki Al Faisal as head of Saudi intelligence supporting Al Qaeda when Saudi intelligence was utilizing Osama bin Laden as an asset in the 1980s? That seems like it could reasonably be interpreted as official Saudi government policy. And what are we to make of Fayd al-Thuinary, the accredited Saudi diplomat through the Saudi Ministry of Islamic Affairs in Los Angeles, the imam of a large, Saudi-funded mosque who was known to have extremist views and whose mosque was attended by members of the Saudi consulate in Los Angeles - and who appears to have personally met with two of the hijackers on several occasions, and who furthermore, was apparently directed to assist those hijackers by a higher-ranking Saudi official who was posted at their embassy in Washington?

Seems like there was at the very least, an organized effort by multiple Saudi government officials in some embassies and consulates to support jihadists. Not sure if it was officially sanctioned Saudi government policy, but forgive me for being suspicious.

Last edited by Allen773; 30th December 2020 at 01:09 AM.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 05:08 AM   #171
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Was Prince Turki Al Faisal as head of Saudi intelligence supporting Al Qaeda when Saudi intelligence was utilizing Osama bin Laden as an asset in the 1980s? That seems like it could reasonably be interpreted as official Saudi government policy.
Al Qaeda was created by the Saudi and Kuwaiti governments, as a means of funneling wannabe fighters from the Gulf into Afghanistan, to fight the Russians.
Once that invasion was over, Bin Laden and Al Qaeda went rogue. Both the Saudi and Kuwaiti governments cut off funding and disowned them. It's a bit of a stretch, then, to claim that they continued to support Al Qaeda's terrorism as a part of their official government policies.
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:57 PM   #172
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Al Qaeda was created by the Saudi and Kuwaiti governments, as a means of funneling wannabe fighters from the Gulf into Afghanistan, to fight the Russians.
Once that invasion was over, Bin Laden and Al Qaeda went rogue. Both the Saudi and Kuwaiti governments cut off funding and disowned them. It's a bit of a stretch, then, to claim that they continued to support Al Qaeda's terrorism as a part of their official government policies.

Fair enough. But what of the rest of my post?

To be clear, I am not taking a position on whether the mid-level and lower-level Saudi government officials named in the post-JASTA lawsuit were assisting the 9/11 hijackers because they were directed to by more senior officials or out of some official, albeit covert policy, or whether they were going rogue themselves. Nor do I take a position on the level of knowingness or foreknowledge of the attacks, etc. of said Saudi officials. But there is enough circumstantial evidence, suspicion, and controversy regarding this subject that I would welcome a more complete account, as I hope will be provided as the lawsuit goes forward.
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:03 AM   #173
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

To be clear, I am not taking a position on whether the mid-level and lower-level Saudi government officials named in the post-JASTA lawsuit were assisting the 9/11 hijackers because they were directed to by more senior officials or out of some official, albeit covert policy, or whether they were going rogue themselves. Nor do I take a position on the level of knowingness or foreknowledge of the attacks, etc. of said Saudi officials. But there is enough circumstantial evidence, suspicion, and controversy regarding this subject that I would welcome a more complete account, as I hope will be provided as the lawsuit goes forward.
I didn't comment on the rest of your post because I didn't have any problem with it.
That Saudi officials of varying rank were involved with the hijackers is pretty much beyond doubt. However, I find the idea that the attacks were somehow officially aided or sanctioned by the Saudi government as an act of government policy implausible: it would have been completely counterproductive. They need the US as allies, then as now, and Al Qaeda itself was a direct threat to the Saudi monarchy.
As you say, though, there would still seem to be plenty more to be uncovered yet.
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:00 PM   #174
Axxman300
Illuminator

You'll never get a complete account.

There is no Black & White when it comes to any country in the Middle East, and especially in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Here are the problems:

1.You have to establish that those Saudis who gave money to Al Qaeda knew the US would be directly targeted.

2. You have to establish exactly when the donations took place.

3. You need to link these Saudis with the leadership and prove that they had their blessings.

4. You'll have to prove that Al Qaeda didn't misrepresent themselves to their Saudi donors.

Good luck with that.

The bigger problem is Wahhabism, which is also Saudi-funded. Wahhabism gave us Islamic Fundamentalism, and continued to fuel the Taliban. Al Qaeda drew and continues to draw members from Wahhabi madrassas funded by the Saudis and other wealthy Arab states.

You are engaging in whack-a-mole.

Look, Ted Kennedy and the Kennedy family quietly gave money and openly supported the IRA from the 1970s on. Does this mean Ted Kennedy killed Lord Mountbatten in 1979? Or is it a case where the PIRA used his money to conduct the operation? The answer depends on where you stand on the IRA and how much you like or dislike the Kennedys. The same thing with the Saudis.
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:34 PM   #175
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
You'll never get a complete account.

There is no Black & White when it comes to any country in the Middle East, and especially in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Here are the problems:

1.You have to establish that those Saudis who gave money to Al Qaeda knew the US would be directly targeted.

2. You have to establish exactly when the donations took place.

3. You need to link these Saudis with the leadership and prove that they had their blessings.

4. You'll have to prove that Al Qaeda didn't misrepresent themselves to their Saudi donors.

Good luck with that.

The bigger problem is Wahhabism, which is also Saudi-funded. Wahhabism gave us Islamic Fundamentalism, and continued to fuel the Taliban. Al Qaeda drew and continues to draw members from Wahhabi madrassas funded by the Saudis and other wealthy Arab states.

You are engaging in whack-a-mole.

Look, Ted Kennedy and the Kennedy family quietly gave money and openly supported the IRA from the 1970s on. Does this mean Ted Kennedy killed Lord Mountbatten in 1979? Or is it a case where the PIRA used his money to conduct the operation? The answer depends on where you stand on the IRA and how much you like or dislike the Kennedys. The same thing with the Saudis.
Agreed in full. The Americans funding the IRA (like the Kennedys) comparison is a good one.
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:34 PM   #176
Allen773
Graduate Poster

As you say, though, there would still seem to be plenty more to be uncovered yet.
And that's what I look forward to with the lawsuit, hopefully.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:38 PM   #177
Axxman300
Illuminator

The Washington Post is reporting that a dozen people on the FBI's terrorist watch-list were in Washington D.C. during the 1/6/21 Capitol Siege, in case you are wondering how on top of things the Bureau is these days.
Old 14th January 2021, 02:08 PM   #178
No Other
Muse

The Kennedy's and the Saudi's would be considered Terrorist, if for nothing else, the Patriot Act and subsequent Congressional beefing up of the Terrorist definition contain the inchoate offenses will make the both accomplices of Terrorism.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 08:48 PM   #179
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
The Kennedy's and the Saudi's would be considered Terrorist, if for nothing else, the Patriot Act and subsequent Congressional beefing up of the Terrorist definition contain the inchoate offenses will make the both accomplices of Terrorism.
The Patriot Act is not retroactive.

The Saudis have been brutal to those in their ranks who knowingly support Al Qaeda and ISIS.
Old 15th January 2021, 11:46 AM   #180
No Other
Muse

The Patriot Act is not retroactive.

The Saudis have been brutal to those in their ranks who knowingly support Al Qaeda and ISIS.
Agreed it is not retroactive... just framing it around today's definition.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 05:58 PM   #181
Axxman300
Illuminator

I was disappointed and disgusted by the Kennedy Family's support for the PIRA. It went against what they claimed to stand for in this country, and was an insult to JFK.
Old 15th January 2021, 06:07 PM   #182
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It was also not a policy of the US government, and in no way could be construed as "the US government might have funded the IRA".
Old 15th January 2021, 10:17 PM   #183
Axxman300
Illuminator

It was also not a policy of the US government, and in no way could be construed as "the US government might have funded the IRA".
That is correct.
Old 15th January 2021, 11:31 PM   #184
Allen773
Graduate Poster

...to a point. They certainly have no tolerance for jihadists who mount attacks within Saudi Arabia - hence, why AQAP is based in Yemen.

But I question the Saudis’ commitment to combating the Al Qaeda and ISIS jihadists who attack Shia Muslims in Iraq and Syria, for example. The powerful Wahhabi clerics certainly are no fans of the Shia, and that also feeds into the Saudi conflict with Iran.

Of course, when it comes to jihadists organizing and fighting in other countries, there’s only so much the Saudis (or anyone) can do. Nevertheless, Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf monarchies continue to be sources of ideological and financial support for these groups, if often indirectly. It’s complicated.

And for the record, MBS’s crackdown on “extremist clerics” has ensnared a lot of nonviolent, moderate clerics whose main crime was calling for broader political participation within the Kingdom. Seems like accusations of extremism and supporting terrorism are as often a pretext for punishing one’s enemies as much as anything, especially for ruthless authoritarian regimes who tell the US and the UN what they want to hear: “we’re fighting terrorism.”

Last edited by Allen773; 15th January 2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:19 AM   #185
No Other
Muse

I was disappointed and disgusted by the Kennedy Family's support for the PIRA. It went against what they claimed to stand for in this country, and was an insult to JFK.
Agreed
Old 19th January 2021, 08:31 AM   #186
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

...to a point. They certainly have no tolerance for jihadists who mount attacks within Saudi Arabia - hence, why AQAP is based in Yemen.
A country which is being attacked by a coalition of Gulf countries led by Saudi Arabia.
Granted, their main thrust is against the Houthis, but I'm sure that it's giving AQAP a bit of a headache as well.

But I question the Saudisí commitment to combating the Al Qaeda and ISIS jihadists who attack Shia Muslims in Iraq and Syria, for example. The powerful Wahhabi clerics certainly are no fans of the Shia, and that also feeds into the Saudi conflict with Iran.
What do you suggest that the Saudis could do to combat AQ in those countries? More invasions and bombings?

Of course, when it comes to jihadists organizing and fighting in other countries, thereís only so much the Saudis (or anyone) can do. Nevertheless, Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf monarchies continue to be sources of ideological and financial support for these groups, if often indirectly. Itís complicated.
Again, there's a distinction between the state and individuals within that state.
There are undoubtedly individuals around the Gulf funneling money to Islamist insurgents. However, to extrapolate that into state-sponsored 'ideological and financial support' is, I think, a stretch.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:07 AM   #187
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's always possible to allege a black money operation and connect the dots.

"Having some no-name emergency backup prince divert his <finger quotes>personal funds</finger quotes> to Al Qaeda is exactly what the Saudi government would do, if they wanted to support AQ in secret!"
Old 20th January 2021, 04:33 AM   #188
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Connecting dots gives you stellar constellations. The result is often guided more by the images already in the connector's head than by reality.
Old 20th January 2021, 04:59 AM   #189
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

And the reality is that Al Qaeda and the Saudi royal family are at odds. They hate each other. I see no reason why it would be official Saudi government policy, even as some kind of black op, to aid AQ in any way.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:29 AM   #190
No Other
Muse

And the reality is that Al Qaeda and the Saudi royal family are at odds. They hate each other. I see no reason why it would be official Saudi government policy, even as some kind of black op, to aid AQ in any way.
You are spot on if you are defining your observation beginning in 2003. Prior to that year the Saudi government was very slow to react to Al Qaeda as the interior of Saudi Arabia was not threatened... at least by the Royal family estimation. Nayef bin Abdelaziz thought Al Qaeda was a result of USA propaganda and initially said 9/11 was a Zionist plot but when Al Qaeda started attacking Saudi ex-Pats and security forces... everything changed.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:38 AM   #191
Allen773
Graduate Poster

NYT Editorial Board:

Fighting, While Funding, Extremists

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/o...terrorism.html

Haaretz

ISIS and Saudi Arabia: A Dangerous Double Game

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-...game-1.5382041

New Yorker:
Saudi Arabia possibly planned to use Al-Qaeda in assassination plot against Ali Soufan

Quote:
For the Saudis to attack (Soufan) directly would be an unprecedented act of aggression. His concern is that, given the regime’s history with Al Qaeda, militants could attempt to kill him in Qatar—and the attack could be traced to the death threats planted on social media. “It wouldn’t be the first time a state actor uses militants or terrorists to do its dirty work,” he said.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...s-based-critic

CNN:
The US shipped weapons and secrets to the Saudis and Emiratis. Now, some are in the hands of fighters linked to al Qaeda and Iran.

(This has eerie parallels with the anti-Assad efforts in Syria - and the anti-Soviet efforts in Afghanistan...)

Quote:
Amid the chaos of the broader war, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) made its way to the frontlines in Taiz in 2015, forging advantageous alliances with the pro-Saudi militias they fought alongside.

One of those militias linked to AQAP, the Abu Abbas brigade, now possesses US-made Oshkosh armored vehicles, paraded in a 2015 show of force through the city.

Abu Abbas, the founder, was declared a terrorist by the US in 2017, but the group still enjoys support from the Saudi coalition and was absorbed into the coalition-supported 35th Brigade of the Yemeni army.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...-lost-us-arms/
Old 1st March 2021, 07:17 PM   #192
Axxman300
Illuminator

The latest move with the lawsuit: A letter to Biden...

https://www.aol.com/news/khashoggi-r...184614780.html

Quote:
James Kreindler, a lawyer who has been representing the families in the 9/11 lawsuit, said in an interview he believes that the Khashoggi report gives his clients new leverage to demand full disclosure of the still-buried 9/11 documents, including a complete copy of a 2012 FBI report into suspected links between some Saudi government officials and the hijackers. Last year, then-Attorney General William Barr and then-acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell blocked disclosure to the public and families of that reportís most important details, declaring them a ďstate secret.Ē

ďI donít understand how our government can release the documents on the murder of one man two years ago but not the documents on the murder of 3,000 people 20 years ago,Ē said Brett Eagleson, a spokesman for the families, whose father was killed in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11.
The point:

Quote:
The timing of the familiesí letter is also potentially significant because the U.S. governmentís Public Interest Declassification Board ó a federal panel that is charged with making recommendations about the disclosure of classified documents ó is expected to take up the issue of still-secret 9/11 material, possibly in the next few weeks.
Stay tuned...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories