IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th December 2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Jaggy Bunnet
Philosopher

Advert banned for being truthful

I have a hard time understanding this - it is OK to say that Santa (or more accurately Father Frost) exists, even though this must contradict what most parents/teachers tell their kids but it is a breach of advertising rules to suggest he doesn't exist because that suggests that parents are not telling the truth, and the fact that they aren't telling the truth is apparently not a sufficient reason to suggest they aren't telling the truth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7161468.stm
Jaggy Bunnet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 08:55 AM   #2
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

So, that's what is meant by "truth in advertising".....
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

It's Russia. They're not exactly the model on which free speech is based.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 09:07 AM   #4
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

And if this were Russia, you'd have been banned for posting that.

Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Hrm...that's kinda fun.
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
juniper_ann
Critical Thinker

I would think that such a commercial would be really, really bad PR. I still would be highly ticked if it were banned in my country.
juniper_ann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Kiosk
He Thinks He's People

In post-Soviet Russia, Santa decides that YOU don't exist.
Many of the medical profession are sceptical about my work. They point to my record of treatment of athlete's foot sufferers - 84 dead, 65 severely wounded, and 12 missing believed cured. But then, people laughed at Bob Hope. People laughed at my wife when she wrapped herself up in greaseproof paper and hopped into the Social Security office - but that doesn't mean that Pasteur was wrong.
Kiosk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Tokenconservative
Banned

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
So, that's what is meant by "truth in advertising".....
The laws governing the press in GB are quite different from those in the US.

In the US, anyone stupid enough to take out an ad telling little kids that Santa does not exist (why on earth would you do this?) would have a very hard time finding any major venue willing to take any amount of money to publish same.

Why?

Simple economics: most of their other advertisers would leave them entirely, or at least for some time.

Tokie
Tokenconservative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 01:14 PM   #9
shadron
Philosopher

NPR did a piece a couple of weeks ago where some high school students went around asking their friends how and when they learned that Santa wasn't real. They gave a warning before the piece that if little kids were present the parents perhaps would want to turn the sound off, but they wound up getting a bunch of hate mail castigating them for airing such an article. Apparently no one believed they would really do such a dastardly thing.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Tokenconservative
Banned

Originally Posted by juniper_ann View Post
I would think that such a commercial would be really, really bad PR. I still would be highly ticked if it were banned in my country.
I am always amused by people's misunderstanding of words like "banned" and "censorhip."

Did the government ban this ad? If so, that's censorship. If the publication said no thanks, that's a business decision (a wise one, would be my guess).

Tokie
Tokenconservative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 01:42 PM   #11
Denial
Scholar

Originally Posted by Tokenconservative View Post
I am always amused by people's misunderstanding of words like "banned" and "censorhip."

Did the government ban this ad? If so, that's censorship. If the publication said no thanks, that's a business decision (a wise one, would be my guess).

Tokie
Why don't you read the article and find out?
Denial is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kiosk View Post
In post-Soviet Russia, Santa decides that YOU don't exist.

Wait, so Putin is Santa? Is there anything that guy can't do?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 03:19 PM   #13
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaggy Bunnet View Post
I have a hard time understanding this - it is OK to say that Santa (or more accurately Father Frost) exists, even though this must contradict what most parents/teachers tell their kids but it is a breach of advertising rules to suggest he doesn't exist because that suggests that parents are not telling the truth, and the fact that they aren't telling the truth is apparently not a sufficient reason to suggest they aren't telling the truth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7161468.stm
As long as they don't say anything stupid like that about the Hogfather....................
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 03:45 PM   #14
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Ah, the naughty and the nice. Be careful you may find coal in your stocking next year, which of course may not be a bad thing if you happen to have a coal burning stove. In that case be as naughty as you please.

Danta Clause
A subsidiary of Santa Clause INC. LLC
Old 27th December 2007, 03:54 PM   #15
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Ah, the naughty and the nice. Be careful you may find coal in your stocking next year, which of course may not be a bad thing if you happen to have a coal burning stove. In that case be as naughty as you please.

Danta Clause
A subsidiary of Santa Clause INC. LLC
Coal in your stocking a good thing?
Good Ed no, think of your carbon footprint!
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 04:53 PM   #16
juniper_ann
Critical Thinker

Tokie
The first sentence of the article:
"The Russian government has banned a television advertisement for denying the existence of Father Christmas."
juniper_ann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 04:53 PM   #17
dann
Penultimate Amazing

What is your point? That there are two ways of suppressing truth? The good one (business) and the bad one (government)?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 06:36 PM   #18
Rob Lister

Originally Posted by dann View Post
What is your point? That there are two ways of suppressing truth? The good one (business) and the bad one (government)?
yes.
Rob Lister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 06:57 PM   #19
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by juniper_ann View Post
The first sentence of the article:
"The Russian government has banned a television advertisement for denying the existence of Father Christmas."
Heh. What a twerp, that guy.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 07:08 PM   #20
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

In the US, anyone stupid enough to take out an ad telling little kids that Santa does not exist (why on earth would you do this?) would have a very hard time finding any major venue willing to take any amount of money to publish same.

Why?

Simple economics: most of their other advertisers would leave them entirely, or at least for some time.

Tokie
Proof positive that Tokie does not follow any of the links he is given but posts whatever is on his "mind" anyway.

Hint to Tokie -- the story is from Russia.

Old 27th December 2007, 08:35 PM   #21
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Advert banned for being truthful

That thread title had me wondering if I'd ever seen an "Advert" post in the forums.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2007, 06:43 PM   #22
gtc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The good one says 'I refuse to let you show this on my tv channel'.
The bad one says 'I refuse to let you show this on any tv channel'.

Can you spot the difference?
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 08:28 AM   #23
69dodge
Illuminator

Think of the government as a big business that just happens to own all of the TV channels.

What's the difference, then?
69dodge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 08:38 AM   #24
cyborg
deus ex machina

Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Why don't you read the article and find out?
Tokie doesn't believe in links.

Tools of them darn libruuls.
The phrase deus ex machina (literally "god out of a machine") describes an unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot...
cyborg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 10:40 AM   #25
Rob Lister

Originally Posted by 69dodge View Post
Think of the government as a big business that just happens to own all of the TV channels.

The difference then is illogical thinking.
Rob Lister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:12 AM   #26
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Very telling that Yuri Gagarin said he saw no God or angels up there.
What he didn't say ...

http://www.mazaika.com/postcard/aerospace0.htm

Father Frost exists and is a hero of the Soviet space program.

Last edited by Abdul Alhazred; 29th December 2007 at 11:12 AM.
Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:17 PM   #27
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

You guys can't even bother to properly shorten "advertisement" to just "ad".

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2008, 11:50 AM   #28
CaptainManacles
Muse

The difference is that government isn't a big business. Businesses have to aquire things by creating them or by the creators consenting to give it to them. Governments just take things by force. Which leads to the next big difference, if you didn't like the restrictions placed on TV, you could just create another way to broadcast video and use that to your heart content. However, in the government scenerio, they would just take your new creation as well.
CaptainManacles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2008, 01:12 PM   #29
69dodge
Illuminator

Nobody created the electromagnetic spectrum. It's just there. So who should have the right to use it for broadcasting, or to sell it to someone else to use?
69dodge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2008, 02:45 AM   #30
CaptainManacles
Muse

Nobody created the electromagnetic spectrum. It's just there. So who should have the right to use it for broadcasting, or to sell it to someone else to use?
It's just there, but it's not useful to humans without human intervention. That's like saying we shouldn't allow bottle water companies to sell their water because they didn't "create" the water.
CaptainManacles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2008, 04:05 PM   #31
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

But that's the point with out regulations and control it would just be a messy battlefield with broadcasters not only competing for market share but for bandwidth as well. With one trying to overpower the signal of another and only the most powerful would get through. For most it would just be a useless mess. It is incumbent on all people and thus their representatives (the government) to ensure control, regulate the use and hopefully regain some operating expresses.

Originally Posted by CaptainManacles View Post
It's just there, but it's not useful to humans without human intervention. That's like saying we shouldn't allow bottle water companies to sell their water because they didn't "create" the water.

Who must intervene between me and some object in order for me to use the electromagnetic spectrum to see it that object? Use of the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum is not as regulated now as it may need to be in the future. Imagine when (and it might not be far away with some serious human intervention) an advertisement could be beamed directly onto the retina of a passer by.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events