ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Massachusetts politics , presidential candidates , racial categorization , racial isssues

Old 15th October 2018, 12:15 PM   #441
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
I hate to embarrass you like this, but I posted a link to her saying that earlier.
That's a flat out lie.

I looked through your posts, she never said that.

I'll give you just a bit of credit: you are mostly just lying to yourself.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:15 PM   #442
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
A claim based on wrong assumptions is not true simply because the outcome is true. A result matching a prediction by a psychic does not substantiate their claim.
Family said there was ancestry. DNA says she has ancestry.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:16 PM   #443
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
The dowser said there was water. Digging up water says there was water.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:18 PM   #444
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't get it. If the thread is so ridiculous, why post in it or read it? I usually avoid the stuff I don't care for.
He can correct me, but maybe because this is the current state of our political discourse and there isn't much choice but to join everyone wallowing the inanity.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:19 PM   #445
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

So we didn't disprove dowsing.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:19 PM   #446
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
You seem to be suggesting that not only did not taking the test prove she was lying, but so did taking the test. So that would logically lead us to conclude that she was lying regardless of whether she took the test or not.

That seems to work out okay, but still fails to address the proposition of whether or not she should take the test, which remains at odds as the two statements of "she should" and "she should never" remain incompatible.
Excellent explanation in the top paragraph.

The key to the second is not the "she should never" it is that "have taken the test." She should not have taken the test, because she has provided such an inconclusive and nebulous report that it stands as evidence against her.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

Proverbs 17:28
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:19 PM   #447
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

(I refuse to be bobbed)

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:22 PM   #448
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

The key to the second is not the "she should never" it is that "have taken the test." She should not have taken the test, because she has provided such an inconclusive and nebulous report that it stands as evidence against her.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

Get that verse to the President as fast as you can
Old 15th October 2018, 12:22 PM   #449
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

(I refuse to be bobbed)
The psychic said my mom had brown hair. My mom had brown hair.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:23 PM   #450
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The psychic said my mom had brown hair. My mom had brown hair.

Old 15th October 2018, 12:23 PM   #451
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Not to drag this out too much more, but that explanation still does not make "she should just take the test" and "she should never have taken the test" into compatible statements, except to argue that due to the results of the test, Trump changed his mind about whether she should take it.

It's probably more important to note that Trump's statements are not intended to be logical or compatible from day to day, which makes our discussion sort of irrelevant.

Last edited by Imhotep; 15th October 2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:23 PM   #452
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

(I refuse to be bobbed)
Hey, Shalamar...

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:24 PM   #453
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You are committing a logical fallacy.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:24 PM   #454
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
A claim based on wrong assumptions is not true simply because the outcome is true. A result matching a prediction by a psychic does not substantiate their claim.
I wouldn't lump in the family claims of native american ancestry with the claims of a psychic.

A psychic just makes things up (perhaps using cold reading); on the other hand, families CAN pass down information through word-of-mouth to children/descendants. Warren may be separated from native american ancestors by 6 generations, but information can easily be passed from great grand parents to children, so you'd only need a couple of generations talking about ancestry to get a partially accurate view of their background.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:24 PM   #455
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Get that verse to the President as fast as you can
Will do! He will use it against warren, thanks.....

hey wait a minute, you are trying to trick me!

I almost feel like Elizabeth warren releasing the results of her 23 and me test showing she was about 1% Peruvian

The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:24 PM   #456
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

You are committing a logical fallacy.

Old 15th October 2018, 12:25 PM   #457
River
Illuminator

Opinions on Warrens eligibility for affirmative action based on her DNA and feelings?

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:26 PM   #458
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't get it. If the thread is so ridiculous, why post in it or read it? I usually avoid the stuff I don't care for.
Because it would be nice if we could discuss stuff that actually matters and effects peoples lives on the same level we discuss which Star Trek uniform's shoes had the best tread pattern.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:26 PM   #459
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Not to drag this out too much more, but that explanation still does not make "she should just take the test" and "she should never have taken the test" into compatible statements, except to argue that due to the results of the test, Trump changed his mind about whether she should take it.

It's probably more important to note that Trump's statements are not intended to be logical or compatible from day-to-day, which makes our discussion sort of irrelevant.
I don't think that those statements were attributed to Trump
Old 15th October 2018, 12:27 PM   #460
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I wouldn't lump in the family claims of native american ancestry with the claims of a psychic.

A psychic just makes things up (perhaps using cold reading); on the other hand, families CAN pass down information through word-of-mouth to children/descendants. Warren may be separated from native american ancestors by 6 generations, but information can easily be passed from great grand parents to children, so you'd only need a couple of generations talking about ancestry to get a partially accurate view of their background.
We have no evidence that is what the grandmother was doing.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:27 PM   #461
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

"Big deal. Elizabeth Warren percentage of Indian between 1/32 to 1/1,024th. I.e., the same percentage chance she has of being elected president."

-- Ann Coulter (Oct 15, 2018)
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:28 PM   #462
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Big deal. Elizabeth Warren percentage of Indian between 1/32 to 1/1,024th. I.e., the same percentage chance she has of being elected president."

Lol.

Then again a lot of people here thought Trump had the same or even less of a chance of becoming president
Old 15th October 2018, 12:30 PM   #463
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by River View Post
Opinions on Warrens eligibility for affirmative action based on her DNA and feelings?
No thanks.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:30 PM   #464
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

DNA didn't say anything, somebody's interpretation of that DNA said something
Old 15th October 2018, 12:32 PM   #465
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Oh for... so the DNA lab is now an evil librul agenda agent?

DNA is now an evil librul conspiracy?

How deep does this go? Were Crick and Watson in on it?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:33 PM   #466
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Science! An evil liberal conspiracy!

I await applecored getting a degree in bio-tech and giving his own interpretation of the results!

Old 15th October 2018, 12:35 PM   #467
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

I don't think that those statements were attributed to Trump
My bad, they seemed so much like his tweets. But those parts of them about whether she (EW) should take/have taken the test are incompatible for what it's worth.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:35 PM   #468
Drewbot
Philosopher

I think the point is that she claimed to be of Native American descent, used it on faculty bios, and professional directories. She was listed, in the Crimson newspaper, as the first Woman of Color to receive tenure at Harvard.

She gets all the accolades of being a Person of Color, and when called on it, produces a document that shows she might be between 1/320th and 1/1024th Native American.

I think that would have been much more effective had she NOT released it.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:35 PM   #469
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The interpretation of evidence was not done blindly and does risk bias.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:36 PM   #470
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Well, DNA can't talk. Maybe that's what they meant.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:36 PM   #471
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

As soon as she asks for such consideration.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:37 PM   #472
crescent
Illuminator

Let's talk about Obama's birth certificate instead!

Trump's 0 for 2 on the whole ancestry concept. Such winning!!
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:37 PM   #473
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

Science! An evil liberal conspiracy!

I await applecored getting a degree in bio-tech and giving his own interpretation of the results!
applecorped is of course correct here, as I have previously shown through citations to articles.

This is not merely a DNA test, it is taking the results of the test and drawing a conclusion, a task that has not been rigorously scientifically analyzed at all.

It is junk science.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:38 PM   #474
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I think the point is that she claimed to be of Native American descent, used it on faculty bios, and professional directories. She was listed, in the Crimson newspaper, as the first Woman of Color to receive tenure at Harvard.

She gets all the accolades of being a Person of Color, and when called on it, produces a document that shows she might be between 1/320th and 1/1024th Native American.

I think that would have been much more effective had she NOT released it.
Her mother had to deal with the local bigotry of being partially NA. Her family history was literally shaped by that bigotry. So, yeah, all the benefits.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:38 PM   #475
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

She hasn't applied for such, so who cares?

Meanwhile, Kevin McCarthy and his fake tribe are rolling in government dough.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:39 PM   #476
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post

"I bet those grapes are sour anyway" -The Fox, Aesop's Fables.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:39 PM   #477
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Opinion equals science now huh?

So much non skepticism here
Old 15th October 2018, 12:40 PM   #478
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

applecorped is of course correct here, as I have previously shown through citations to articles.

This is not merely a DNA test, it is taking the results of the test and drawing a conclusion, a task that has not been rigorously scientifically analyzed at all.

It is junk science.
Most of your articles were about 23 and me and other consumer tests. Is that what she took?

Old 15th October 2018, 12:40 PM   #479
The Big Dog

Quote:
There are many scientific limitations to the home DNA test. “These companies aren’t actually testing your ancestry at all,” says Mark Thomas, professor of evolutionary genetics at University College London. “They’re problematic in their claims to be able to infer an individual’s ancestry.”

There are a few reasons for this. First, the genetic information these DNA testing companies hold is based on living populations. When you send your spit off in a little tube, it is specific snippets, or markers, in your genome (the total collection of DNA that resides in your cells) that are being analysed, and then compared to the markers of others who are good representatives for distinct regions or ethnicities around the world. But as Thomas notes, the companies are only looking at very recent samples, from a relatively small group, in one specific database. “They are just saying: ‘If I wanted to make your genome, I could pull bits of your DNA from people all over the world who are around today. And this is just one way I could do it,’” he says.
another article

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...nderstand-race
Old 15th October 2018, 12:41 PM   #480
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear goddamn Jesus backflipping Christ politicians could just jiggle their keys at each other and it would be more meaningful then thus.

So the Republicans don't like the incontrovertible prove that the Democrats provided for their doubt of the claim that nobody has yet explained why anybody bothered to make.

Good. Glad we're all on the same page.
+1
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics