ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th September 2009, 06:49 PM   #81
Personal Grudge
Thinker

Perhaps he does hear God... but God loves a great practical joke.

Kind of like those aliens who like to buzz people... you know, "They find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor unsuspecting soul whom no one's ever going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennas on their head and making beep beep noises." (Thank you Douglas, we miss you!)

Rather childish really...
Personal Grudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2009, 07:19 PM   #82
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Well, time's up.

What's the over/under on Daniel returning with an explanation excuse for the lack of fire and brimstone raining down, and the failure of his god to whisk him off to Israel on some holy version of El Al?
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2009, 10:57 PM   #83
Kimpatsu
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LashL View Post
Well, time's up.

What's the over/under on Daniel returning with an explanation excuse for the lack of fire and brimstone raining down, and the failure of his god to whisk him off to Israel on some holy version of El Al?
'Cos god only flies United for the air miles...?
"Most people, I believe, think that you need a God to explain the existence of the world, and especially the existence of life. They are wrong, but our education system is such that many people don't know it. "--Richard Dawkins
Kimpatsu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 01:35 AM   #84
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

"God Hates Us All"
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 01:39 AM   #85
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Well, time's up.

Technically it would be at least two money lines: Return and not return.

The over/under would work e.g. for the number of excuses, the days until he posts or blogs again or the days to the next prophecized rapture.
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 01:54 AM   #86
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, that was good:
Quote:
...feuer und brimstein regen ...
Thanks, GzuzKryzt.
BBC is silent on the subject of Dani'El's arrival in Israel.Nor is there anything as of yet on unusual weather conditions in California.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 01:55 AM   #87
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Well as we know, God does have a sense of humour (he created the Duckbill Platypuss for instance), it is possible he was just larking around with Dani...

... And that striking people down for slight failure to adhere to his commandments seemed a bit petty when those Romans killed his only son and got away with it scott free... So there is a trail of MPD in God's psychology.

There is another possibility though... Dani wasn't hearing God at all...

... For the more down to Earth reason that God doesn't exist.
Old 29th September 2009, 02:38 AM   #88
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
... And that striking people down for slight failure to adhere to his commandments seemed a bit petty when those Romans killed his only son and got away with it scott free...

Consult your Gibbon.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 03:07 AM   #89
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the link, mojo.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 04:21 AM   #90
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Thanks for the link, mojo.

There's a great cartoon by Willie Rushton, featuring a gibbon sitting on top of a busker's barrel organ with a tin mug, saying "it bleeding declined and fell, mate", but I can't find it on the internet.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 04:31 AM   #91
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dani' El View Post
I've shared a prophecy that will be fulfilled soon on the forum here-

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=152751

After reviewing the rule, I learned that no claims of a religious nature are allowed in the challenge, yet that seems to be contrary to the stated intent of the challenge to show proof of the supernatural which this will cleary do.

Anyway, I wrote an email to the admins but so far no response.

The day of the judgment of SF and LA is Yom Kippur 2009.
I hope that JREF will allow that I have met the challenge on that day and reward the money to-
Voice of the Martyrs Canada

Kol tuv,
Dani' El
No.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 06:30 AM   #92
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Consult your Gibbon.
Being smote down by Gods anger and allowing the slow decline of a rich empire... not really comparable are they?

I guess God's biggest punishment for killing his only son was again his twisted sense of humour in putting Rome at the center of the new religion.
Old 29th September 2009, 06:54 AM   #93
Giggywig
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dani' El View Post
I've shared a prophecy that will be fulfilled soon on the forum here-

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=152751

After reviewing the rule, I learned that no claims of a religious nature are allowed in the challenge, yet that seems to be contrary to the stated intent of the challenge to show proof of the supernatural which this will cleary do.

Anyway, I wrote an email to the admins but so far no response.

The day of the judgment of SF and LA is Yom Kippur 2009.
I hope that JREF will allow that I have met the challenge on that day and reward the money to-
Voice of the Martyrs Canada

Kol tuv,
Dani' El
I'm sure in retrospect you are glad that the admins decided to not respond to your email given that you have, in fact, not met the challenge. Hindsight is 20/20 so now it's easy to see why your prediction didn't come true but back then who would have thunk it?!
Giggywig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2009, 07:16 AM   #94
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
There's a great cartoon by Willie Rushton, featuring a gibbon sitting on top of a busker's barrel organ with a tin mug, saying "it bleeding declined and fell, mate", but I can't find it on the internet.
It'll turn up.
What I found fascinating is that the man (Gibbon) took on the churches in writing about a different view of the early Christian martyrs.
Old 29th September 2009, 08:31 PM   #95
Doc Daneeka
Muse

Well, time's up.

What I expect to happen: he goes away for a while, and eventually comes back with a new and improved claim. Quite probably under a different user name.

What I'd love to see: he comes back claiming that his prophecy was fulfilled because some random building in the Castro district burned down. Even better: California was actually destroyed, but in some special metaphorical/spiritual sense, which is what he actually meant all along.

It would be funny.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:59 PM   #96
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

He has not posted on his blog http://thejudgmentofsanfranciscoluke17.blogspot.com/since the 27th.
Old 30th September 2009, 03:38 AM   #97
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doc Daneeka View Post
It would be funny capturing.
Fixed it.
Old 30th September 2009, 06:03 AM   #98
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Well, there was a tragic earthquake and tsunami in the Pacific, resulting in the coastline of LA and SF being ravaged by eighteen-inch tall waves.....
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 06:10 AM   #99
laca
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Well, there was a tragic earthquake and tsunami in the Pacific, resulting in the coastline of LA and SF being ravaged by eighteen-inch tall waves.....
Easy to confuse with brimstone and fire falling from the sky...
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2009, 08:34 AM   #100
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Mod InfoMoved from the Million Dollar Challenge section since there appears to be very little to do with the challenge going on here.
Posted By:Cuddles
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 08:48 AM   #101
Moochie
Philosopher

With prophecies falling like brimstone I thought it prudent to stock up on lox.

M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 08:56 AM   #102
Spektator

Someone should save Dani'El's blog before it vanishes...or morphs to postdict a tsunami or something....
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 09:39 AM   #103
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Well, if you allow for a little sloppage in date, geographic location and description of God's punishment, Prophet Dani-El was spot on.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2009, 01:09 PM   #104
Burning Beard
Muse

Originally Posted by GzuzKryzt View Post
\m/ > < \m/

___

So instead of the Godless heathens being wiped out, we've had had Samoa and Indonesia lashed with earthquakes. Interestingly, both are very religious countries

And my Surf Guitar version... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WioJ...eRkAD3bh1dU_gF
Burning Beard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:46 PM   #105
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Sept 30, the day sanfran did NOT burn

a day that will live in infamy
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:49 PM   #106
Tizzy
Scholar

Someone should save Dani'El's blog before it vanishes...or morphs to postdict a tsunami or something....
Like the "super typhoon" Parma bearing down on the Philippines? - I can't link yet but you can find this on Reuters, AP, etc.

Things have been quite bad weather-wise for the Asia-Pacific region lately. They are expecting at least one more typhoon (Melor) shortly.
Tizzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2009, 10:08 AM   #107
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
He has not posted on his blog http://thejudgmentofsanfranciscoluke17.blogspot.com/since the 27th.
Still no sign of Dani' El.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:08 AM   #108
Tricky
Briefly immortal

I hope he's safe wherever he is, and has not harmed himself or anyone else.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2009, 11:46 AM   #109
Spektator

I see....Dani'El expected the Yellowstone super volcano to blow (check out the comments section).
Old 5th October 2009, 12:20 PM   #110
laca
Illuminator

He must be in his room waiting for the chariot...
laca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2009, 02:23 PM   #111
FSM
god

I read the blog... and I found this really interesting:

So when frauds like Billy Graham blame Satan for katrina, you can know it is blasphemy.
The buffoon, and self proclaimed prophecy expert, Dr. Jack Van Impe said something so foolish last year, it boggles the mind.
The conversation went something like this.

Rexella- "Those terrible fires in CA, it's not God doing this is it. It's Satan! Right Jack?"
Jack- "That's right! Satan is causing those fires. Satan does not want people to have nice things!"

Sigh.
The surest way to have "nice things" is to bend the knee to Satan.
Satan hates God's judgments, as he knows it drives men to repentence.
Satan works to keep sin very attractive so when a wicked city like New Orleans is struck, or the homes of the wicked burn, or Satan's towers fall on 9/11, you can know it is God doing it.
Satan does not attack himself, or divide his house.

So, is it me, or does this sound like Satan does good things that are attractive and fun and God does bad punishing things that are painful and bad?

If I'm reading it correctly, this is delightful! How do you know who is who? I presume you have to wait until you're dead then BAM! You get to know for sure that the dude who ruined your home, killed your children, and blew up your towers is actually the good guy. While the one that provided a lifetime of sex, fun, nice things and NO pain or suffering to humankind is the bad guy...

Gads. I wish September 28th would get here already... oh, hell... wait...
Old 5th October 2009, 06:19 PM   #112
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FSM View Post
I read the blog... and I found this really interesting:

So when frauds like Billy Graham blame Satan for katrina, you can know it is blasphemy.
The buffoon, and self proclaimed prophecy expert, Dr. Jack Van Impe said something so foolish last year, it boggles the mind.
The conversation went something like this.

Rexella- "Those terrible fires in CA, it's not God doing this is it. It's Satan! Right Jack?"
Jack- "That's right! Satan is causing those fires. Satan does not want people to have nice things!"

Sigh.
The surest way to have "nice things" is to bend the knee to Satan.
Satan hates God's judgments, as he knows it drives men to repentence.
Satan works to keep sin very attractive so when a wicked city like New Orleans is struck, or the homes of the wicked burn, or Satan's towers fall on 9/11, you can know it is God doing it.
Satan does not attack himself, or divide his house.

So, is it me, or does this sound like Satan does good things that are attractive and fun and God does bad punishing things that are painful and bad?

If I'm reading it correctly, this is delightful! How do you know who is who? I presume you have to wait until you're dead then BAM! You get to know for sure that the dude who ruined your home, killed your children, and blew up your towers is actually the good guy. While the one that provided a lifetime of sex, fun, nice things and NO pain or suffering to humankind is the bad guy...

Gads. I wish September 28th would get here already... oh, hell... wait...
Aren't we supposed to be beware of False Prophets in these End Times?
Old 7th October 2009, 11:58 PM   #113
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Oh Dani boy, the brights, the brights are calling
From Ol’ San Fran, and LA’s county lines
September's gone, and your prophesies are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must face truth and not hide.

I hope the best for you, wherever you are.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:24 PM   #114
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Still no update on Dani' El's blog.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal