IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags obituaries , prince philip , royal family

Old 9th April 2021, 04:17 AM   #1
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99

Well, there's goes the UK TV schedule for the next few days...
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:23 AM   #2
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Oh well.
Old 9th April 2021, 04:24 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I feel sorry for his family (or at least those members of his family who he didn't bully unmercifully) and the Queen in particular, they certainly seemed to find a way to make that relationship work.

One of the advantages of watching everything on catch-up or Netflix or Prime is that the changes to the TV schedule will have little impact on me.

If he gets am "in memoriam" programme half as heartfelt as Sabine Schmidt's he'll be doing well IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:26 AM   #4
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Do we now forget his racist clangers, or can we still quote them?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:30 AM   #5
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
One of the advantages of watching everything on catch-up or Netflix or Prime is that the changes to the TV schedule will have little impact on me.
Same here, but I do like a bit of Bargain Hunt with my lunch, and they've ditched that. Non-stop Prince Philip on 4 of the 5 main channels at the moment. Luckily we have other options now.
Quote:
If he gets am "in memoriam" programme half as heartfelt as Sabine Schmidt's he'll be doing well IMO.
Quite. I wonder if we'll be hearing from his many reputed conquests?
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:32 AM   #6
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Poor chap - if he'd just lasted a few more weeks he'd have got a telegram from The Queen!
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:38 AM   #7
cullennz
Banned

I quite liked the dude.

He was slapper central when young, but sorted his stuff out and settled with the Queen.

He said some stuff as jokes which at the time were jokes and now are justifiably not ok, but he was pretty funny.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:46 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As other people have already said this is a sad moment for those of us that still view broadcast TV.

He’s been on the brink a few times but I think it was pretty much sealed that he was dying when one of his sons actually bothered to visit him in hospital.

He had a privileged life, one that will probably never be seen again outside states such as North Korea so can’t see any great sadness

Not bad for a refugee from Corfu.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:47 AM   #9
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

So, how did Meghan Markle do it?

'Cos you just know she'll cop the blame from some of the UK-ian meejah.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:49 AM   #10
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
So, how did Meghan Markle do it?

'Cos you just know she'll cop the blame from some of the UK-ian meejah.
Why?

Dude was 99 ffs.

As much as you seem to want to make it more. He just died of old age.

Last edited by cullennz; 9th April 2021 at 04:50 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:50 AM   #11
Lothian
should be banned

Does than mean that we cut the Queen's allowance now there is one less royal leach on society?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:52 AM   #12
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Why?

Dude was 99 ffs.

Because she is darker in skin tone than tabloid editors and their readers like.
CFK is not being serious. It is a joke based on criticism she has received from the press.

Last edited by Lothian; 9th April 2021 at 04:54 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:56 AM   #13
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Because she is darker in skin than tabloid editors and their readers like.
I get you are weirdly getting off on the news someone has died, but think you might need to clarify your accusations about racism with some verifiable evidence,
Old 9th April 2021, 05:13 AM   #14
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Why?

Dude was 99 ffs.

This is, as Lothian already pointed out, a not totally serious comment and is based on what the UK-ian meejah have been saying over quite some time about Meghan Markle, who has copped the blame for everything this side of Covid.

That she is of mixed heritage may be completely irrelevant. However, some of us have encountered our meejah before and are familiar with their MO, especially the more right wing and overtly royalist sections.

Did I really need to use some form of sarcasm tag?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:13 AM   #15
Lothian
should be banned

I get you are weirdly getting off on the news someone has died, but think you might need to clarify your accusations about racism with some verifiable evidence,
You are right. Perhaps the british media don't like people who's names begin with M.

I am sure you can google but here, here, here, here and here you will find smoke. If you have already decided there is no fire, don't waste your time opening the links, they were the first that came up.

Last edited by Lothian; 9th April 2021 at 05:18 AM.
Old 9th April 2021, 05:20 AM   #16
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I liked this guy because he transitioned through the reduction of freedom of speech epoch.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:27 AM   #17
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I liked this guy because he transitioned through the reduction of freedom of speech epoch.
You like him because he called native Australians "spear chuckers" and the Chinese "Slitty eyed"?

Each to their own.
Old 9th April 2021, 05:30 AM   #18
Belz...
Fiend God

Widowed after 73 years of marriage. That's gotta suck.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:30 AM   #19
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

You like him because he called native Australians "spear chuckers" and the Chinese "Slitty eyed"?

Each to their own.
I guess the Chinese avenge his descriptor by invading uss
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:40 AM   #20
Monza
Alta Viro

Why?

Dude was 99 ffs.

I can't remember the stand-up comic that said it, but it's something like...

My grandmother died at the age of 103. Yet some people still ask, "what did she die of?" What do they expect? She crashed her Harley at Bike Week.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:46 AM   #21
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Does Harry drag Meghan across ?
Old 9th April 2021, 05:53 AM   #22
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I quite liked the dude.

He was slapper central when young, but sorted his stuff out and settled with the Queen.

He said some stuff as jokes which at the time were jokes and now are justifiably not ok, but he was pretty funny.
You nail it Cully
Old 9th April 2021, 05:57 AM   #23
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
As other people have already said this is a sad moment for those of us that still view broadcast TV.
And listen to the radio. I drove to the supermarket at lunch time and I thought my car radio was broken, because whatever station I thought I'd tuned it to, I still got the same programme. Took me a couple of minutes to find out who they were talking about, at which point realisation dawned.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:04 AM   #24
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Do we now forget his racist clangers, or can we still quote them?
I'm hoping they play a mash-up at the public funeral.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:04 AM   #25
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Goodbye to the Daily Mail reader in chief.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:07 AM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's why they say marriage is not just a word. It's a sentence.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:11 AM   #27
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
That's why they say marriage is not just a word. It's a sentence.
Well, in this specific case those two lovebirds seemed genuinely happy together. If I ever live that long, I hope I can still say that my 63 years of marriage with the missus was the best thing that happened to me.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:11 AM   #28
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

You like him because he called native Australians New Guineans "spear chuckers" and the Chinese "Slitty eyed"?

Each to their own.
Fixed.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:12 AM   #29
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

He was very well-regarded by those in the Navy, I'm told by a friend who was in the service.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:14 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
In a way - but they didn’t have a traditional marriage - until the pandemic they’d hardly lived together for decades. And if what I heard is true they were still living apart at Windsor.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:17 AM   #31
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
He was very well-regarded by those in the Navy, I'm told by a friend who was in the service.
He was Mentioned In Despatches as a junior lieutenant. That's not to be sneezed at.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:18 AM   #32
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Officers?

Remember he was of the generation and class that was given a commission, especially given his guardian. However it does seem he was at least a competent officer so I’ll not argue or try to diminish his navy career. I actually think he was a quite a bit brighter than the rest of the family, which wouldn’t be hard I know -sadly the family seems to have inherited their intelligence from his wife.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:26 AM   #33
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In a way - but they didn’t have a traditional marriage - until the pandemic they’d hardly lived together for decades. And if what I heard is true they were still living apart at Windsor.

I wouldn't be surprised though if there were a fair few other married couples who, after that length of marriage, might well live apart if their own houses were huge enough to allow it. Plus retinues of staff to look after each others' needs.

I am not a fan of the institution of monarchy (though I don't exactly despise it either), but that doesn't mean I can't admire some of the individuals within it. I think that many of them are on a bit of a hiding to nothing - perhaps the DofE more than many.

It'll be awfully strange not having the lying-in-state and state funeral, but rather (apparently) a small family service at St George's Chapel in Windsor Palace - presumably followed by burial either there or Frogmore. But even though that change has been forced by the pandemic situation, I wonder if it might end up having longer-term ramifications for what happens when a non-monarch member of the RF dies.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:27 AM   #34
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Oh and I wonder also what will happen to the weekend's UK sporting fixtures - most notably the Grand National and EPL/SPL football?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:27 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
I wouldn't be surprised though if there were a fair few other married couples who, after that length of marriage, might well live apart if their own houses were huge enough to allow it. Plus retinues of staff to look after each others' needs.

I am not a fan of the institution of monarchy (though I don't exactly despise it either), but that doesn't mean I can't admire some of the individuals within it. I think that many of them are on a bit of a hiding to nothing - perhaps the DofE more than many.

It'll be awfully strange not having the lying-in-state and state funeral, but rather (apparently) a small family service at St George's Chapel in Windsor Palace - presumably followed by burial either there or Frogmore. But even though that change has been forced by the pandemic situation, I wonder if it might end up having longer-term ramifications for what happens when a non-monarch member of the RF dies.
What you mean he won’t be whisked off to Slough crem like Margaret was?
Old 9th April 2021, 06:28 AM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Oh and I wonder also what will happen to the weekend's UK sporting fixtures - most notably the Grand National and EPL/SPL football?
I am sure that the Queen will 100% want the Grand National to go ahead….. out of respect of course…..
Old 9th April 2021, 06:35 AM   #37
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Why?

Dude was 99 ffs.

Fox News in the US blames the Harry and Meghan interview with Oprah: https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-an...death?ref=home
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:37 AM   #38
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Fox News in the US blames the Harry and Meghan interview with Oprah: https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-an...death?ref=home
Well, that didn't take long.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:42 AM   #39
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Way to bury the lede OP.

The queen's single folks. Run a comb through your hair and take a breath mint.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:58 AM   #40
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

He was 1st lieutenant on a Destroyer, than was aboard the battleship Valiant and took part in the battle for Crete and was 'mentioned in dispatches at the battle of Cape Matapan . He was transferred to the Pacific and was present at the Japanese surrender.
He finished the war as at the rank of Commander.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events