IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Closed Thread
Old 6th January 2019, 02:28 AM   #921
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
When in fact I've addressed this several times. Guess I have to do it again. When a racial minority murders at a rate of 10 times the racial majority, the bar of self defense will be lower than what it is in a small lily white country like Scotland. This is just another not-so-subtle "look how great things are when it's only white people!" argument
That is not an argument you have made before. Why is "the bar of self defence" lower when a racial minority murders more than the racial majority?
Old 6th January 2019, 02:36 AM   #922
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Blacks murder less when they're surrounded by whites. You guys really need to start thinking things through.
The topic here is police behaviour, you are now trolling the thread trying to switch it to black behaviour as you clearly try and blame blacks for the US police and gun violence, whilst accusing me of being the racist.
Old 6th January 2019, 02:44 AM   #923
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
That is not an argument you have made before.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post12551024
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:48 AM   #924
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There is no mention of self defence in that post. Please link to and quote you previously making the argument that "when a racial minority murders at a rate of 10 times the racial majority, the bar of self defense will be lower..."

Then please provide the links and quotes I requested here;

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post12554204

Then answer this "Why is "the bar of self defence" lower when a racial minority murders more than the racial majority?"
Old 6th January 2019, 03:27 AM   #925
Baylor
Philosopher

The topic here is police behaviour, you are now trolling the thread trying to switch it to black behaviour as you clearly try and blame blacks for the US police and gun violence, whilst accusing me of being the racist.
It's not possible to separate the police and the population that's being police. Diverse societies like the US bring different challenges to the police force. You have made it abundantly clear you to not value diverse societies and prefer to live with whites only.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:35 AM   #926
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It's not possible to separate the police and the population that's being police. Diverse societies like the US bring different challenges to the police force.
You are blaming black people for a problem that is also present amongst other races and in this thread, the police.

Quote:
You have made it abundantly clear you to not value diverse societies and prefer to live with whites only.
Please link to and quote me saying that I do not value diverse societies and prefer to live with whites only. Failure to do so means you accept you are lying and you should apologise.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:36 AM   #927
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There is no mention of self defence in that post. Please link to and quote you previously making the argument that "when a racial minority murders at a rate of 10 times the racial majority, the bar of self defense will be lower..."

Then please provide the links and quotes I requested here;

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post12554204

Then answer this "Why is "the bar of self defence" lower when a racial minority murders more than the racial majority?"
Baylor, stop dodging the above and provide the links and quotes and answers I requested.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:43 AM   #928
Baylor
Philosopher

You are blaming black people for a problem that is also present amongst other races and in this thread, the police.

Please link to and quote me saying that I do not value diverse societies and prefer to live with whites only. Failure to do so means you accept you are lying and you should apologise.
The way you endlessly rant about "US gun violence" means you are the most put-off by blacks.

Last edited by Baylor; 6th January 2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:44 AM   #929
Baylor
Philosopher

That is not an argument you have made before.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post12552175
Old 6th January 2019, 04:39 AM   #930
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

When in fact I've addressed this several times. Guess I have to do it again. When a racial minority murders at a rate of 10 times the racial majority, the bar of self defense will be lower than what it is in a small lily white country like Scotland. This is just another not-so-subtle "look how great things are when it's only white people!" argument
Just out of interest the murder rate in lily white Renfrewshire and Inverclyde in 2018 was 4.3/100,000. I can't find data for the numbers killed by Renfrewshire police in the same year but I can hazard a guess.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 06:53 AM   #931
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The way you endlessly rant about "US gun violence" means you are the most put-off by blacks.
Seeing gun violence as a problem, which negatively affects the black community more than the white, does not therefore mean I am "put-off by blacks". I see the black community primarily as victims of the problem. I see the police as one of the various causes of the problems.

Where I went, lived and worked in the USA, turns out I was at most risk from the white police officers.

Your inability to make a coherent claim, let alone argument is why you are the subject of ridicule.
Old 6th January 2019, 06:59 AM   #932
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Again, why is "the bar of self defence" lower when a racial minority murders more than the racial majority?

Stop dodging my previous requests for you to provide links and quotes to the following claims you made;

"This thread is about overpolicing (mostly) blacks."

and

"Now you claim police are uninterested in policing blacks."
Old 6th January 2019, 03:28 PM   #933
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

The police like to claim all the credit for the reduction in knife crime, due to a massive and legally dubious stop search campaign. I have my doubts, since violent crime had been falling anyway, so at best the police were pushing against an opening door.
One thing to check is if the violence decreased in response to lead pollution decreasing.
Old 6th January 2019, 05:22 PM   #934
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
One thing to check is if the violence decreased in response to lead pollution decreasing.

One problem with that is that, by coincidence, ones of the leading remaining causes of childhood exposure to lead is from old house paint, most often encountered by the poorest cohorts of the economic scale, who are inhabiting the very structures where remedial treatment has been most overlooked.

Leaving minorities at the top of that exposure list.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 6th January 2019 at 05:30 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 05:36 PM   #935
Baylor
Philosopher

Again, why is "the bar of self defence" lower when a racial minority murders more than the racial majority?

Stop dodging my previous requests for you to provide links and quotes to the following claims you made;
I'm not going to keep linking back to posts just because you claim to have missed them. It stalls and obfuscates the discussion and that has been the tactic for others as well. Please follow the thread of discussion and it is currently about your refusal to ever live in a black neighborhood.
Old 6th January 2019, 05:41 PM   #936
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Please follow the thread of discussion and it is currently about your refusal to ever live in a black neighborhood.
The thread is about the behaviour of US police officers. It seems you need to start a new thread to discuss your peculiar obsessions.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 05:44 PM   #937
Baylor
Philosopher

It is not possible to discuss the police without discussing the population that is being policed. I have to keep repeating myself with you people.
Old 6th January 2019, 07:34 PM   #938
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

You really don't.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 02:33 AM   #939
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

It is not possible to discuss the police without discussing the population that is being policed. I have to keep repeating myself with you people.
In a thread on police behaviour a poster considers police behaviour and attitudes that he himself introduced as oht of bounds and irrelevant but random statistics not related to police behaviour key. Says a lot.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 02:46 AM   #940
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It's not applicable to use the 100,000 per resident murder rate for a small city. One murder can distort the rate significantly. One drunk white guy doesn't hit his old lady with a bowling ball and the murder rate regresses back to the mean. But on that token, the murder rate of East St Louis is 60/100,000.
With that comment, you have shown you do not understand what the rate per 100,000 means.
Old 7th January 2019, 02:51 AM   #941
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not going to keep linking back to posts just because you claim to have missed them. It stalls and obfuscates the discussion and that has been the tactic for others as well. Please follow the thread of discussion and it is currently about your refusal to ever live in a black neighborhood.
You lie about what I say, make up claims about me being racist and dodge my points and questions. You are trolling the thread to keep it off the topic of US police behaviour.

"This thread is about overpolicing (mostly) blacks."

and

Old 7th January 2019, 03:14 AM   #942
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/u...era-study.html

"After a series of high-profile police shootings, police departments across the nation turned to body cameras, hoping they would curb abuses. But a rigorous study released Friday shows that they have almost no effect on officer behavior.
The 18-month study of more than 2,000 police officers in Washington found that officers equipped with cameras used force and prompted civilian complaints at about the same rate as those who did not have them."

The behaviour of the police is ingrained and they feel safe behaving as they do.
Old 7th January 2019, 08:05 AM   #943
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

The behaviour of the police is ingrained and they feel safe behaving as they do.

That's because, in general, they are. Despite the increasing use of body cameras by police, there hasn't been a significant increase in the censure, discipline, or prosecution of police who use excessive or unnecessary force and abuse their authority. The institutions that protect law enforcement officers need to be broken and remade with better accountability structures before any real progress will be seen.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 06:08 PM   #944
Baylor
Philosopher

Nice obfuscation tactic but I have no interest in playing this game. Anyone can go back and you did see that you said this
If anything like that level of violence happens in Scotland, it is dealt with. That is something the USA is unable to or uninterested in doing.
Just like anyone can go back and see you said it's horrible to live in a society with black people.
It must be horrible living in a society where literally one minor move can result in extreme force being used against you.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:55 AM   #945
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I think that black Americans want police and the justice system to not discriminate against them and for the police to not disproportionately shoot black Americans.

Those are perfectly reasonable demands.
Yet in this very thread you posted this

Interesting paper:
Quote:
4. Shot by Police: Race/Ethnicity Across Armed Status

It is worth noting, that on average across counties in the United States, an individual is as likely to be {black, unarmed, and shot by police} as {white, armed, and shot by police}, with a median relative risk estimate of 1.04 (PCI95: 0.62, 1.61). The corresponding ratio for hispanics is 0.52 (PCI95: 0.32, 0.75).

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0141854
Old 8th January 2019, 10:06 AM   #946
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I think that black Americans want police and the justice system to not discriminate against them and for the police to not disproportionately shoot black Americans.

Those are perfectly reasonable demands.
Yet in this very thread you posted this

Interesting paper:
Quote:
4. Shot by Police: Race/Ethnicity Across Armed Status

It is worth noting, that on average across counties in the United States, an individual is as likely to be {black, unarmed, and shot by police} as {white, armed, and shot by police}, with a median relative risk estimate of 1.04 (PCI95: 0.62, 1.61). The corresponding ratio for hispanics is 0.52 (PCI95: 0.32, 0.75).

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0141854
And your point is?

Police shoot unarmed blacks at a similar rate to armed whites.

I am sure that there are lots of police shootings that are more or less justifiable, however it's telling that unarmed blacks are as likely to be shot as armed whites. If the shootings were based on an unemotional assessment of risk, one would have to assume that armed people are generally more dangerous than unarmed people, and would assume that shootings rates of unarmed blacks would be far lower than armed whites.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 10:57 AM   #947
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe if more cops are shooting cops, it will lead to a reassessment of methods....

https://fox59.com/2019/01/08/lafayet...d-in-shooting/

You think maybe the guy didn't sufficiently follow the verbal commands?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:07 AM   #948
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

And your point is?

Police shoot unarmed blacks at a similar rate to armed whites.

I am sure that there are lots of police shootings that are more or less justifiable, however it's telling that unarmed blacks are as likely to be shot as armed whites. If the shootings were based on an unemotional assessment of risk, one would have to assume that armed people are generally more dangerous than unarmed people, and would assume that shootings rates of unarmed blacks would be far lower than armed whites.
That was my first thought too, but I reckon Baylor will try to characterise any response as a sign of a hidden racist agenda. Pure trolling, imo.
Old 8th January 2019, 02:01 PM   #949
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Nice obfuscation tactic but I have no interest in playing this game. Anyone can go back and you did see that you said this

Just like anyone can go back and see you said it's horrible to live in a society with black people.
Which is not what I said, as anyone can see.
Old 8th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #950
fagin
Philosopher

It would appear that Baylor is learning the Trump method of ********. Just repeat lies that have nothing to do with the posts he's replying to.

Might as well argue with a headless chicken.
Old 9th January 2019, 02:46 AM   #951
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

A whole load of posts, where he tries to blame black people for the behaviour of the US police and calls others racists for blaming the police themselves for their own behaviour, have been removed from the thread.
Old 7th February 2019, 12:26 AM   #952
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

https://abc7news.com/marine-veteran-...gated/5115639/

"The Vallejo police department has launched an internal investigation. A man claims an officer used excessive force and placed him under arrest-- until the officer realized he was a veteran."

The Facebook post by Adrian Burrell is here:

https://www.facebook.com/Adrian90313...1814190296933/
Old 7th February 2019, 01:52 AM   #953
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
https://abc7news.com/marine-veteran-...gated/5115639/

"The Vallejo police department has launched an internal investigation. A man claims an officer used excessive force and placed him under arrest-- until the officer realized he was a veteran."

The Facebook post by Adrian Burrell is here:

https://www.facebook.com/Adrian90313...1814190296933/
Seems to be excessive force and completely unnecessary. It'll go nowhere and the plaintiff isn't helping his case with hyperbolic claims of his "humanity being taken away from me".

What I don't get is the reference to his "veteran" status. Apart from the obvious, what puts a veteran above the law (notwithstanding the excessive application of it here) or affords them, seemingly, preferential treatment?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 02:38 AM   #954
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand the question.
Old 7th February 2019, 02:49 AM   #955
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Then, a turn of events. Burrell said Officer McLaughlin let him go once he realize Burrell was a veteran.
What does his status as a 'veteran' have to do with it?
If he hadn't been a soldier at some point the cop would have carried on and arrested him?
Do 'veterans' in the US have a special status that means they don't get assaulted by the police ?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 02:55 AM   #956
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

These are questions you should be directing to the police officer. I'm not sure how anyone else can answer them.
Old 7th February 2019, 03:23 AM   #957
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Denver officers disciplined for handcuffing journalist photographing arrest

Susan Greene was filming officers last July when they took her phone and put her in handcuffs

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/0...ng-journalist/
Old 7th February 2019, 05:55 AM   #958
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

She should have told them she was a veteran then.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 06:16 AM   #959
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

It might not have helped.
Old 7th February 2019, 07:14 AM   #960
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Denver officers disciplined for handcuffing journalist photographing arrest

Susan Greene was filming officers last July when they took her phone and put her in handcuffs

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/0...ng-journalist/
The officers have been deducted a whole 2 days pay! That is not much of a deterrent IMO.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events