IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Closed Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 02:20 PM   #201
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I only said that a degree gives a good grounding in what is involved "the basics". I never meant to even suggest someone with a degree is now a qualified investigator.

My idea person to investigate the police is someone with a degree who has gone to to work investigations that require interviewing suspects and compiling reports to a set legal standard, but was not in the police.

I want those doing the investigating to be brighter than the police officers they are investigating.
That might be easier in some US police forces (with maximum IQ limits) than in other forces.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:29 AM   #202
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

'Riot King' Brian Rossomanno Has Become the Police Department's Protest Hammer

eta: remembering that protesting it is constitutionally protected.

Last edited by Upchurch; 12th October 2017 at 07:47 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 07:48 AM   #203
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
It has been made abundantly clear by many that in the USA, the police have no duty to protect the public (I believe that may even be backed by law). They are not expected to take risks. It is fine for them to shoot to kill and not arrest. The will inflame situations, make them much worse and think there is no place for patient talking down of violent incidents. They make good people feel scared. They make bad people react with extreme violence back at them because they do not realise the tough guy act causes others to act tough back. The makes many US police no different from vigilante thugs dishing out summary justice.

Why do so many on this forum keep on defending the behaviour of their police and how they are policed?
Do you really believe this way? Of course there are on rare occasions bad police who do bad things or police who are basically good but in a stressful situation make the wrong decision.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 10:48 AM   #204
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Do you really believe this way? Of course there are on rare occasions bad police who do bad things or police who are basically good but in a stressful situation make the wrong decision.
I can't speak for Nessie, but personally, I would like to see more accountability following those occasions. There is a fundamental flaw in the way some local justice systems work that does not allow for self-correction and that is causing problems.
Old 16th October 2017, 05:55 PM   #205
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

There's no problem here.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 08:21 PM   #206
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

As we learn from this CNN article;
Quote:
"Kevin Sumner is one of the best and most highly trained school resource officers in Kentucky,"
Which should set everyone's mind to rest.

He's the gold standard all his fellow officers aspire to.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 04:03 AM   #207
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

But, at least, this issue was addressed and corrected. In theory, it shouldn't happen again.
Old 17th October 2017, 07:05 PM   #208
Noztradamus
Illuminator

US police are amazing, it's just the civilians who don't have the training to properly interact with them.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/c...ing/759465001/

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/c...deo/763499001/

Last edited by Noztradamus; 17th October 2017 at 07:12 PM.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 09:12 PM   #209
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
US police are amazing, it's just the civilians who don't have the training to properly interact with them.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/c...ing/759465001/

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/c...deo/763499001/

Assault by panic attack.

That's a new one.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:59 AM   #210
Hubert Cumberdale
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Mullinax, records show, did not say he had a gun or threaten to harm Johnson. He had a cell phone and yelled at Johnson that he was filming the deputy’s handling of girlfriend Cody.
Gosh, I wander what could have caused the officer to decide to start shooting?
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 02:04 AM   #211
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
Gosh, I wander what could have caused the officer to decide to start shooting?
Seriously? It's OK to shoot at someone just because they're filming you? Or did I miss something?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 02:22 AM   #212
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Seriously? It's OK to shoot at someone just because they're filming you? Or did I miss something?
Apparently it's also OK to charge someone with resisting arrest and remand them in custody even if there aren't any actual charges to warrant arresting them.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:35 AM   #213
Hubert Cumberdale
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Of course. Filming a police officer could cause them to feel threatened, which logically entitles them to conduct a summary execution of the offender.
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:43 PM   #214
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This 9-year veteran Georgia cop accidentally grabs his gun instead of his Taser and shoots a teen in the arm. Bodycamera footage included...

Originally Posted by The Telegraph
A deputy yelled “Taser! Taser!”, then a teenager was shot with a gun

“Taser! Taser!”

That’s what was hollered out as two Baldwin County sheriff’s deputies struggled to cuff an 18-year-old man wearing a yellow Pikachu hat inside a Milledgeville apartment. Deputy Charles Gillis patted his side and pulled out a gun. A pop was followed by screams.

“God dang it!” Gillis yelled. The shot had gone clean through Jamel Jackson’s arm.

The dramatic scene that unfolded Oct. 9 was captured on a deputy’s body camera. The video footage was obtained Monday by The Telegraph.

Deputies went to the apartment after Jackson’s mother called 911 reporting her son had hit her in the face.

Just after the pop, Jackson’s mother can be seen standing with her hands above her head in the living room. Jackson remained still standing and inched a few feet to the kitchen.

Deputy Gillis, visibly distraught, knocked his forehead with both palms.

“Gillis discharged his firearm at the subject,” another deputy said on the radio. “Clean shot through his bicep. He’s fine. … He’s actually giving us a hard time, but it’s OK.”....

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crim...179200731.html
Old 19th October 2017, 06:27 AM   #215
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

There have been several instances of this, most notorious the “BART” shooting of a resisting suspect. The officer involved was convicted of manslaughter, as I recall.

The deputy drew the gun from his pocket? Thinking he had a Taser in there?

This flies in the face of what has become standard procedure. Every department around here mandates that the Taser be carried on the opposite side of the firearm on the duty belt in a special cross-draw holster. Also, the current-model Tasers are bright yellow, and visibly “light up” when activated. You can’t just pull the trigger.

I’m familiar with an earlier incident (not local) where the department had it’s officers carry the firearm in the normal position and the Taser in a “leg drop” holster on the same side.
A female officer drew her firearm instead of the Taser and shot and wounded a suspect.
At that time, the Taser model being sold was black.

A factor here is that officers now carry so many “tools” that in the heat of a confrontation or actual fight, it requires deliberate thinking to get the right item from your belt.
I carry firearm, Taser, pepper-spray, ASP baton, cuffs, and cell phone.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 07:49 AM   #216
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post

A factor here is that officers now carry so many “tools” that in the heat of a confrontation or actual fight, it requires deliberate thinking to get the right item from your belt.
I carry firearm, Taser, pepper-spray, ASP baton, cuffs, and cell phone.
This is partially why I advocate taking guns away from most cops. They have several other weapons at there disposal that are much more appropriate for most situations. What's the effective range of taser and what is the typical range at which cops shoot suspects? Or maybe make the cops keep guns in their car with a log kept of every time they take it out?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 10:29 AM   #217
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This 9-year veteran Georgia cop accidentally grabs his gun instead of his Taser and shoots a teen in the arm. Bodycamera footage included...

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crim...179200731.html
Giving them a hard time?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 11:10 AM   #218
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Giving them a hard time?
The kid ends up being something like a deadpan comedian...

"Could y'all maybe label those things so people don't get shot like that"
Old 20th October 2017, 11:26 AM   #219
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Police officers with body cameras are as likely to use force as those who don’t have them

Originally Posted by Washington Post
D.C. police officers wearing body cameras reported using force about as often as colleagues who didn’t have them, and citizen complaints against the two groups were about even, according to a new study that bucks early expectations about the impact of the devices.

When the cameras started to appear in police departments in 2014, experts predicted behavior on both sides of the badge would improve under the watchful eye of the lens. But the look by the District’s in-house research branch suggests otherwise — a finding that could shift the debate on one argument used to put the cameras in virtually every big city police department nationwide.

D.C. Police Chief Peter Newsham said the results surprised department leaders and were “not what we anticipated.” He said that it appears in many police interactions, “cameras didn’t make a difference.”...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f98_story.html
Old 20th October 2017, 01:16 PM   #220
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Police officers with body cameras are as likely to use force as those who don’t have them
Under my current hypothesis, I would predict that although body cameras may have increased recording uses of unnecessary force on video, they did not result in a rise in of local prosecutors pressing charges or obtaining convictions on LEOs. If there are no consequences for unnecessary violence, there is no impetus for LEOs to change or correct their own bad behavior. The situation either does not change or gets worse.
Old 20th October 2017, 01:21 PM   #221
ahhell
Philosopher

I didn't realize anyone actually expected them to change behavior, at least right away. I've just thought of them as providing evidence for when cops are accused of misbehaving. Which if they have an effect on behavior would take a few highly publicized case of cops getting convicted of a crime or getting out of conviction with the video evidence.

It turns out a cop can't get convicted of littering let along murder/manslaughter in the US.

Edit to add, what upchurch said.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 01:41 PM   #222
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I’m familiar with an earlier incident (not local) where the department had it’s officers carry the firearm in the normal position and the Taser in a “leg drop” holster on the same side.
A female officer drew her firearm instead of the Taser and shot and wounded a suspect.
At that time, the Taser model being sold was black.
That was local to my area, I think. If I recall correctly, the victim was having some sort of psychotic episode, was naked, and up a tree. The taser MAY have been appropriate.
Old 20th October 2017, 03:48 PM   #223
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That was local to my area, I think. If I recall correctly, the victim was having some sort of psychotic episode, was naked, and up a tree. The taser MAY have been appropriate.

Drop bare?

Old 21st October 2017, 05:30 AM   #224
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Under my current hypothesis, I would predict that although body cameras may have increased recording uses of unnecessary force on video, they did not result in a rise in of local prosecutors pressing charges or obtaining convictions on LEOs. If there are no consequences for unnecessary violence, there is no impetus for LEOs to change or correct their own bad behavior. The situation either does not change or gets worse.
Exactly. If anything as other cops see what others get away with, there is no reason to modify behaviour.
Old 21st October 2017, 06:05 AM   #225
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

A news article that aired on NPR last night reports on a study done on the Washington DC Police department’s use of body cameras:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...zen-complaints

This was a rather extensive study, and conclusions were that there was little effect on things like citizen complaints, arrests, etc. etc.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 08:55 AM   #226
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

A news article that aired on NPR last night reports on a study done on the Washington DC Police department’s use of body cameras:

This was a rather extensive study, and conclusions were that there was little effect on things like citizen complaints, arrests, etc. etc.

They noted that it does help with prosecutions.

Of civilians, that is. Cops don't have to worry much about trivial irritants like that. That's what they have unions and 'internal' investigations for.

Until they do have to worry about consequences for their misdeeds the cameras will have limited effect on their behavior.

Maybe it needs more time.

Old 23rd October 2017, 01:14 PM   #227
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

... because everyone is already on their best behavior:
Quote:
It's to be expected that these cameras might have little impact on the behavior of police officers in Washington, D.C., he says, because this particular force went through about a decade of federal oversight to help improve the department.
Also, they studied cops with and without body cameras, not before and after body cameras were instituted.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 08:46 AM   #228
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

VA police violently arrest a man for swearing.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 09:07 AM   #229
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

In new york the cops defense for raping a teen is that it was legal sex between cops and people in their custody. And that is legal.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...one-in-custody
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 09:39 AM   #230
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Anecdote:

We have a couple of long-neglected vacant houses next door. Occasionally, we see people hanging around them who clearly shouldn't be there. When this happens, we call the police. A night or two ago, when coming home late, we saw a small light coming from the basement stairwell. For the first time, we actually debated whether or not to call. It had just turned cold and it could reasonably have been just a homeless guy trying to get out of the wind. Or, it could have been yet another before-or-after moment of some nefarious act. We couldn't tell.

So, we asked ourselves: do we call and potentially risk an unnecessary shooting of someone who might just be cold? That's where we are. We rely on the police, but our trust in them has been eroded to the point that we'd almost be willing to let some things go unreported in order to prevent innocent folks from getting hurt.

In the end, we did call it in. We got a call back saying that it is an empty lot (it's not), even after confirming the address. We had no indication that anyone actually checked it out and whoever it was eventually disappeared when we weren't watching, which wouldn't be hard in the dark.
Old 31st October 2017, 10:10 AM   #231
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That one seems to be a little different to the rest, and in some ways more sinister; it doesn't appear to be random brutality by individual police officers who are out of control, but rather politically motivated oppression by police officers who are very much under control.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 10:13 AM   #232
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Anecdote:

We have a couple of long-neglected vacant houses next door. Occasionally, we see people hanging around them who clearly shouldn't be there. When this happens, we call the police. A night or two ago, when coming home late, we saw a small light coming from the basement stairwell. For the first time, we actually debated whether or not to call. It had just turned cold and it could reasonably have been just a homeless guy trying to get out of the wind. Or, it could have been yet another before-or-after moment of some nefarious act. We couldn't tell.

So, we asked ourselves: do we call and potentially risk an unnecessary shooting of someone who might just be cold? That's where we are. We rely on the police, but our trust in them has been eroded to the point that we'd almost be willing to let some things go unreported in order to prevent innocent folks from getting hurt.

In the end, we did call it in. We got a call back saying that it is an empty lot (it's not), even after confirming the address. We had no indication that anyone actually checked it out and whoever it was eventually disappeared when we weren't watching, which wouldn't be hard in the dark.
The hesitation you describe is widespread in poor communities and has been for some time. That it is growing and spreading from there instead of being reduced is not a good turn of events.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 10:15 AM   #233
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
In new york the cops defense for raping a teen is that it was legal sex between cops and people in their custody. And that is legal.

New York courts have also found that they have no responsibility to protect someone who is a victim of a violent crime while they are there watching the crimein progress.

Tough job, being a NYC cop.

Old 31st October 2017, 10:18 AM   #234
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
That one seems to be a little different to the rest, and in some ways more sinister; it doesn't appear to be random brutality by individual police officers who are out of control, but rather politically motivated oppression by police officers who are very much under control.

Dave
That is indeed scary.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 10:32 AM   #235
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Quote:
They've also reportedly attacked her credibility as a victim
There was a DNA match, and they were in a position of power over her. What more do they need? Whether she said yes or not, they couldn't pretend it was informed consent.

Elsewhere I have pointed out that the UK is far from perfect, but that there is an acceptance that improvements are possible and desirable, which is what seems to be missing in the US.

here is a recent UK story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41804382

Quote:
The long-awaited review by Dame Elish Angiolini, commissioned two years ago by the then-Home Secretary Theresa May, makes 110 recommendations including:
  • The Independent Police Complaints Commission - due to be reformed in January - should have on-call teams to respond to deaths of custody 24 hours a day
  • Investigators attending the scene of a death should have "experience of all steps necessary to protect a potential crime scene and secure evidence"
  • Police chiefs should face misconduct charges if they fail to preserve the scene of a death that needs investigating
  • Ministers should consider "drying out centres", scrapped as too expensive in the 1980s, amid evidence that intoxication is a factor in many deaths
  • England and Wales should have a "National Coroner Service" to deal with "inconsistencies and fundamental shortcomings"

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 01:25 PM   #236
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
He offered no resistive force at all. He was put at risk of positional asphyxia. Thick, bully, cops.
Old 31st October 2017, 02:39 PM   #237
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In New York City two police detectives are facing as much as 25 years in prison after being arrested and arraigned on a variety of charges. The incident began when two Brooklyn plainclothes officers stopped a vehicle in the Coney Island section last month and found marijuana and prescription drugs. They then placed the 18-year-old female driver under arrest, handcuffed her and placed her in their police van. They then told her two male companions that the woman would be released in a few hours and warned them not to follow the van. This is what the New York Times has reported happened next:
Quote:
Detective Martins sat next to the woman [in the van] and said that he and his partner were “freaks,” asking her what she wanted to do to avoid being arrested, Mr. DeGaetano said. After tightening the handcuffs, Detective Martins pulled out his penis and forced the woman to perform oral sex on him, [a Brooklyn prosecutor, Frank] DeGaetano said. Then he turned her around, pulled her pants down and raped her, Mr DeGaetano added, as Detective Hall watched through the rearview mirror and the young woman cried and pleaded with Detective Martins to stop.

After the attack, Mr. DeGaetano said, the detectives returned to Coney Island and dropped the woman off about five blocks from their station house. Before she left, they made her take one of her Klonopin pills and told her to “keep her mouth shut,” Mr. DeGaetano said. Link

Instead the woman went to a local hospital where she reported being attacked. An examination was performed in which DNA samples were taken. The city medical examiner’s office determined that it contained samples of both detectives’ sperm. The two officers were arrested Friday, immediately suspended from duty and demoted. Local news media has noted that normally when police are arrested fellow officers turn out for the arraignment in a show of support. Yet when Detectives Martins and Hall were arraigned yesterday not one off-duty officer showed up. They were released after making bail (Martins at $250,000 and Hall at $150,000).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NYPD Detectives at arraignment on rape charges.jpg (54.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 31st October 2017 at 02:41 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 06:40 PM   #238
mgidm86
Philosopher

Nobody I know was hurt by police today, or yesterday, or ever.

You probably missed the story.
Old 31st October 2017, 06:48 PM   #239
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

So a woman offers a cop sex if he doesn't arrest her, he accepts, and it's not a problem, because, hey, she offered, right?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 02:14 AM   #240
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Not that much power can corrupt weak people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events