IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Matt Gaetz , newsmax

Old 12th January 2022, 01:09 PM   #1041
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't really understand the pessimism here. The long delay is exactly how most federal investigations run.

Maybe he'll wriggle out of it, maybe not. Gaetz doesn't seem to have the political leverage to make an FBI investigation disappear, so it's seems to be anyone's game at this point.
It's kind of SOP for some around here. I've said the same thing throughout this thread, and others, but it's just kind of the way it goes. If you're going after a standing, active politician you better have everything tied up, packaged and with a neat little bow.

The fact that this woman is coming in to speak to the Grand Jury should be blatant proof that the investigation is still on-going, but that doesn't mean much apparently.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 01:12 PM   #1042
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It's kind of SOP for some around here. I've said the same thing throughout this thread, and others, but it's just kind of the way it goes. If you're going after a standing, active politician you better have everything tied up, packaged and with a neat little bow.

The fact that this woman is coming in to speak to the Grand Jury should be blatant proof that the investigation is still on-going, but that doesn't mean much apparently.
I mean, the FBI loves getting a high profile scalp to add to the collection. Nailing some congressman for a totally non-political crime is something they would absolutely pursue if the case is strong enough.
Old 12th January 2022, 01:20 PM   #1043
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't really understand the pessimism here.
Well imagine if Gaetz wasn't a child raping far right nut job but a Democrat that was only 75% to the left instead of 76%.

In less snarky terms the reason for my pessimism is "I'm minimally observant and have pattern recognition skills that go back more than 2 data points" and not one person on the Right has faced anything more than 10% of the music the need to face in the last... decade or so I guess while listening to a dozen at minimum "The other shoe will drop any day now... any day now... any day now" concurrent narratives from Left.

Gaetz will face the music right after Trump does. Which is to say a week after never.
Old 12th January 2022, 01:46 PM   #1044
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In less snarky terms
So what followed this statement is considered "less snarky"? Than what? Because all of what follows is condescending snark saying nothing more than, "You people are stupid for believing anything will happen. I'm super smart for thinking that nothing is going to happen, and I'm super smart for figuring it out because nothing has happened!"

I'm just curious what the MORE snarky version would have been? Just you with a pimp hat on giving the middle finger with a caption saying "Ain't **** goin' happen"?

the reason for my pessimism is "I'm minimally observant and have pattern recognition skills that go back more than 2 data points" and not one person on the Right has faced anything more than 10% of the music the need to face in the last... decade or so I guess while listening to a dozen at minimum "The other shoe will drop any day now... any day now... any day now" concurrent narratives from Left.

Gaetz will face the music right after Trump does. Which is to say a week after never.

All the high horsing aside, it looks like they did ramp up the investigation previously, which I didn't notice.

Quote:
Greenberg ultimately pleaded guilty as part of a cooperation agreement with federal prosecutors. He's also apparently been a fount of information: Greenberg's prison sentence was delayed because he was providing so many useful leads. One prosecutor told a judge in October that Greenberg had raised allegations that "take us to some places we did not anticipate."

The same week, the Justice Department reportedly added two top prosecutors to the investigation.

Now, there's apparently a federal grand jury, whose members heard from Gaetz's ex-girlfriend today.
So they're adding people to the investigation due to it taking them to some places they did not anticipate. I am too lazy to go thumbing through the thread, but was this known before? Had they made any implications previously as to where it was going?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 01:50 PM   #1045
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay. Let me know when they ramp it up beyond "Two impeachments, both times while the person being impeached literally brags about doing what he was impeached for, that both lead to nothing and nobody was even surprised that it lead to nothing" because that's the bar we've already failed to clear.
Old 12th January 2022, 01:53 PM   #1046
plague311
Great minds think...

Okay. Let me know when they ramp it up beyond "Two impeachments, both times while the person being impeached literally brags about doing what he was impeached for, that both lead to nothing and nobody was even surprised that it lead to nothing" because that's the bar we've already failed to clear.
Why would I use that as any bar at all? Gaetz isn't looking at being impeached. His charges, consequences, and exit from the House wouldn't be based on impeachment. In fact, impeachment has, somehow, less than **** all to do with this since it's not even on the table.

How about if I leave the bar at, "I'll wait for the investigation to wrap up and the grand jury to issue it's indictment or lack there of"? That cool or do we continue going back and forth making up random **** to stuff in between quotation marks like anyone actually said it? I have some time this afternoon, so let me know.

Old 12th January 2022, 01:54 PM   #1047
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay. I'll say the same thing again.

Whenever the other shoe drops, you be the first to let me know I was wrong.

I'll keep waiting.
Old 12th January 2022, 01:55 PM   #1048
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

But more proudly you miss the point. "This isn't the same because that was an impeachment!"

No it's the same. Because it's a battle of wills between the Democrats and the Republicans. The Democrats will blink first.
Old 12th January 2022, 01:58 PM   #1049
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Wow I can't wait to see how this doesn't effect him either.
I don't really understand the pessimism here. The long delay is exactly how most federal investigations run.

Maybe he'll wriggle out of it, maybe not. Gaetz doesn't seem to have the political leverage to make an FBI investigation disappear, so it's seems to be anyone's game at this point.
I do agree that there is a chance that Gaetz could be in real trouble.

But, I can understand the pessimism. After all, its not just this particular investigation, but look at the number of people associated with the Trump campaign who manage to avoid any punishment. Or look at the congress-critters that were recently associated with insider trading.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 01:58 PM   #1050
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

But more proudly you miss the point. "This isn't the same because that was an impeachment!"

No it's the same. Because it's a battle of wills between the Democrats and the Republicans. The Democrats will blink first.
Seems to me you're conflating unrelated issues, but perhaps I'm naive.

Trump had to pardon Duncan Hunter, for example. The feds like nailing politicians with easy cases.

Now if you're pessimism is that Gaetz will still remain popular in his district even with a pending case and/or conviction, or that Trump/DeSantis/RoboHitler will pardon him in 2024, I'm more than happy to believe that.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 12th January 2022 at 01:59 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 01:59 PM   #1051
plague311
Great minds think...

No, it's not a battle of a God damn thing between the two because the Democrats and the Republicans aren't involved. Gaetz is facing criminal charges from the FBI, and others I'm sure. If he wants to serve the rest of his House term in prison, then let him. Why would I care?

Old 12th January 2022, 02:02 PM   #1052
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Now if you're pessimism is that Gaetz will still remain popular in his district even with a pending case and/or conviction, or that Trump/DeSantis/RoboHitler will pardon him in 2024, I'm more than happy to believe that.
I'm "pessimistic" that in the end SOMETHING will save him. No more, no less.

Gaetz isn't the first Republican to do something that deserved punishment and nothing happened to any of them either.

Roy Moore and Donald Trump will both die a free man. I don't the 'tude I'm getting for saying so will Gaetz.
Old 12th January 2022, 02:03 PM   #1053
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No, it's not a battle of a God damn thing between the two because the Democrats and the Republicans aren't involved.
That might be the most naïve thing I've ever heard said on this board.

Nothing is not political these days.
Old 12th January 2022, 02:10 PM   #1054
plague311
Great minds think...

That might be the most naïve thing I've ever heard said on this board.

Nothing is not political these days to me.
FTFY

Old 12th January 2022, 02:11 PM   #1055
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

But again like I said, this is super easy to prove me wrong.

I'll add Gaetz to the list along side Trump and Steven Bannon and Boebart and Greene and the people who tried to cast fake votes for Trump in Arizona and all the rest.

As soon as any of them pay for their crimes, let me know. I'm sure it will happen "any day now."

You guys act like all the other people we did the exact same dance over paid for their crimes and I've been proven wrong.
Old 12th January 2022, 02:17 PM   #1056
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I'll add Gaetz to the list along side Trump and Steven Bannon and Boebart and Greene and the people who tried to cast fake votes for Trump in Arizona and all the rest.

As soon as any of them pay for their crimes, let me know. I'm sure it will happen "any day now."

You guys act like all the other people we did the exact same dance over paid for their crimes and I've been proven wrong.
Duncan Hunter got prosecuted, and he was the 2nd rep to publicly support Trump. There are some types of crimes the feds are not shy about pursuing.
Old 12th January 2022, 02:20 PM   #1057
plague311
Great minds think...

Add in the people that got busted in the retirement community facing charges for voting and the others that have already been charged and convicted. What have Boebart and Greene done that is actually illegal? I understand they've done things people don't like, but I mean what have they done that has actually broken an actual law.

Trump is facing a ton of investigations, and you're right he hasn't been charged, formally, with anything yet. But with all of the grand juries and subpoenas. Nevermind, that'll just feed your "I told you! Nothing ever happens!" narrative because nothing of real note has happened yet.

Yeah, this entire forum should share in your pessimism so that it's a true echo chamber of angst and sadness.

I'll work on it, but I still have faith that, while justice is slow, it will happen. You do you, boo.

Last edited by plague311; 12th January 2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12th January 2022, 06:29 PM   #1058
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Why you guys bagging on JoeMorgue for being JoeMorgue?

May as well hate the sun for rising or the tides for changing.

Let him do his bit and then rub it in his face when you get something to stick on Gaetz. I promise you that JoeMorgue will enjoy it just as much as you do.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 12:51 AM   #1059
Lurch
Graduate Poster

I faintly recall a case of some woman of color mistakenly voting in a southern state, and receiving a 5 year jail sentence. (Parenthetically, contrast this with a white person deliberately voting more than once and getting a gentle wrist slap.) I'm confident that NOT ONE of the upper echelon plotters in this insurrection will face near as harsh a consequence. If any, perhaps.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 12:56 AM   #1060
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I faintly recall a case of some woman of color mistakenly voting in a southern state, and receiving a 5 year jail sentence. (Parenthetically, contrast this with a white person deliberately voting more than once and getting a gentle wrist slap.) I'm confident that NOT ONE of the upper echelon plotters in this insurrection will face near as harsh a consequence. If any, perhaps.
That would be Crystal Mason:

Quote:
Crystal Mason, a Black woman in Texas who has drawn national headlines over the years after she was handed a five-year prison sentence for illegally casting a provisional ballot in the 2016 presidential election, is seeking to challenge her conviction.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Texas, the national ACLU, and the Texas Civil Rights Project joined Mason’s attorneys in filing a petition this week to have Texas’s top criminal court review her case.

Andre Segura, who serves as legal director for the ACLU of Texas, called the case “one of the most important voting rights cases in modern Texas history.”

Mason was sentenced to five years in prison back in 2018 for casting a provisional ballot in the 2016 election, though the vote was never counted, according to a press release from the ACLU of Texas. At the time, Mason had been on supervised release for a previous federal conviction from years before. Convicted felons are barred from voting in the state if they haven’t completed their sentence.

The group said in the release that an appeals court recently shot down an appeal from Mason’s legal team back in March in the case. But the group added the court’s panel of justices also agreed then that Mason “was not aware the state considered her ineligible to vote.”
Quote:
Her legal team is seeking to have the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals take on her case to determine whether the previous court “erred in holding that Mason’s lack of knowledge regarding her eligibility was irrelevant to her prosecution,” the ACLU of Texas said in its release.

“The attorneys argue the lower court’s opinion violates Texas law and conflicts with DeLay v. State, a case involving former Republican U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay, in which the Court of Criminal Appeals threw out his conviction on the basis that an individual must actually ‘know’ that their conduct violates the Election Code,” the group added.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 05:35 AM   #1061
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Why you guys bagging on JoeMorgue for being JoeMorgue?

May as well hate the sun for rising or the tides for changing.

Let him do his bit and then rub it in his face when you get something to stick on Gaetz. I promise you that JoeMorgue will enjoy it just as much as you do.
It's strange being opposed to the doomer stance on this one. Maybe I need to check my calibration.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:27 AM   #1062
plague311
Great minds think...

It's strange being opposed to the doomer stance on this one. Maybe I need to check my calibration.
Kind of a change of pace considering how much you absolutely despise police in every way, shape and form, that you'd now be giving them the benefit of the doubt that they could do anything right, or positive. If I were you, I'd hit the panic button.

It would be odd for nothing to happen at this point, but I've been wrong before.

Old 13th January 2022, 10:31 AM   #1063
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Kind of a change of pace considering how much you absolutely despise police in every way, shape and form, that you'd now be giving them the benefit of the doubt that they could do anything right, or positive. If I were you, I'd hit the panic button.

It would be odd for nothing to happen at this point, but I've been wrong before.
I think I've been pretty consistent that there's a distinction between feds and the local pig pen. The feds have their problems too, but it's a different type of culture for sure.

I wouldn't put it past them to totally screw this one up though. Their track record of blundering high profile cases is well established.
Old 14th January 2022, 09:57 AM   #1064
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And the award for "Burn of the Week" goes to Jordan Klepper...

Republicans like Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene, who planned to retrace the steps of the “patriotic Americans” who stormed the Capitol....Klepper caught up with Gaetz just as he was being whisked away in his SUV. But he did manage to get in a few questions before he sped off.

“Hey Matt Gaetz, if you’re going to reenact the events of January 6th, who’s going to take a **** in the rotunda and also, who’s going to make the gallows?” he asked. “Isn’t this a little bit childish, Matt? Or is that what attracts you to this?”

At that moment I think I became gay for Klepper.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 10:29 AM   #1065
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
At that moment I think I became gay for Klepper.
Mine was when he went around to the Trump rallies and made them all look like absolute morons, which isn't all that impressive in and of itself, but the extent of it was just brilliant.

I love that guy.

Old 14th January 2022, 10:39 AM   #1066
carlitos
"más divertido"

Gaetz doesn't have a clue when it comes to image management. That Jordan Klepper thing was perfect.

Gaetz also attended the Turning Point USA party after their Kyle Rittenhouse-attended fest in Arizona. Keep in mind, TPUSA is where you would find college-aged Republicans of both genders... Gaetz attended an afterparty that was sleazy enough, the TPUSA ambassador that threw it lost his job. Something about dancers in patriotic bikinis and / or lingerie. Here he is with that guy at the party:

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 10:49 AM   #1067
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Gaetz doesn't have a clue when it comes to image management. That Jordan Klepper thing was perfect.

Gaetz also attended the Turning Point USA party after their Kyle Rittenhouse-attended fest in Arizona. Keep in mind, TPUSA is where you would find college-aged Republicans of both genders... Gaetz attended an afterparty that was sleazy enough, the TPUSA ambassador that threw it lost his job. Something about dancers in patriotic bikinis and / or lingerie. Here he is with that guy at the party:

*snip pic*
I recognize this scene, isn't this from A Night at the Roxbury?!

Last edited by plague311; 14th January 2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:51 AM   #1068
carlitos
"más divertido"

Lol. TPUSA is a target-rich environment for someone like Gaetz.

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 10:52 AM   #1069
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Lol. TPUSA is a target-rich environment for someone like Gaetz.
Hmm, pretty sure they're all over 18.

Old 14th January 2022, 10:53 AM   #1070
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah those are all Cougars to Gaetz.
Old 18th January 2022, 06:01 AM   #1071
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

The girlfriend has been granted immunity in exchange for testifying:

Quote:
Prosecutors granted immunity to an ex-girlfriend of Representative Matt Gaetz before she testified last week in front of a federal grand jury hearing evidence in the investigation of the congressman, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Gaetz has been under investigation to determine if he violated sex trafficking laws and obstructed justice in that probe. Gaetz has previously denied all wrongdoing, and has said he has never paid for sex nor had sex with an underage girl.

The woman, who CBS News is not naming to protect her privacy, testified in front of a federal grand jury in Orlando last Wednesday. She is viewed as a potential key witness, according to two sources familiar with the investigation. One of the sources said she has information related to the investigation of both the sex trafficking and obstruction allegations.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/matt-ga...robe-immunity/
Old 18th January 2022, 08:51 AM   #1072
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 08:55 AM   #1073
plague311
Great minds think...

I was under the impression that people testifying in front of a grand jury were almost always granted immunity. I remember it being a big deal in another trial as well. The CFO for Trump's enterprise maybe? I remember popehat saying that it's not uncommon at all and the son not getting it was the odd part.

However, that at least means something because if they didn't think she had anything of value then it wouldn't be worth bringing her in and having her testify. Also, we can be at least moderately sure that this is directly related to Gaetz as everyone else has been charged already (from what I've heard). I wonder what took so long or if they were just waiting to do this last considering the attention it would\is receiving?

Old 18th January 2022, 08:58 AM   #1074
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Maybe we will get lucky and see if he can cry better than Rittenhouse.
Old 18th January 2022, 09:39 AM   #1075
plague311
Great minds think...

Maybe we will get lucky and see if he can cry better than Rittenhouse.
I have a few jokes for this but none of them are appropriate for this forum.

Old 18th January 2022, 11:07 AM   #1076
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

I have a few jokes for this but none of them are appropriate for this forum.
Would formatting the jokes Mad Libs-style violate the MA?
Old 18th January 2022, 11:59 AM   #1077
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Would formatting the jokes Mad Libs-style violate the MA?
I don't know about that, but it would definitely be more entertaining.

Old 18th January 2022, 01:26 PM   #1078
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Karma's a ***** sometimes.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 01:27 PM   #1079
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Matt Gaetz is turning into everything Republicans were trying to turn Hunter Biden into" - seen on the internet
Old 18th January 2022, 01:32 PM   #1080
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"Matt Gaetz is turning into everything Republicans were trying to turn Hunter Biden into" - seen on the internet
What goes around, comes around.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics