IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anthony Fauci , Mehmet Oz

Old 13th January 2022, 02:02 PM   #1
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Fauci v. Oz Debate

Dr. Oz challenges 'petty tyrant' Fauci to a debate...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-oz-...ebate-kilmeade

Quote:
I'm calling Fauci out for a debate. I'm challenging. Just go head-to-head with me or anybody, frankly, on the merits of these arguments because it's indefensible. This is just gross incompetence. I mean borderline malpractice that we don't have solutions for Americans where their lives are being threatened. Older Americans were vulnerable by this virus, but the vast majority of people, of course, aren't, it's relatively benign. But older Americans are at risk if we cannot get them life-saving solutions that have been around for more than a year.
Would Fauci have anything to gain from debating Oz? Even if Fauci exposes Oz for being an entertainer masquerading as a quack, would it matter to the Oz supporters?

Ranb
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 02:03 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Oz is in deep poopoo and desperate.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 02:08 PM   #3
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Would Fauci have anything to gain from debating Oz? Even if Fauci exposes Oz for being an entertainer masquerading as a quack, would it matter to the Oz supporters?

Ranb
Oz knows this is not how scientific research and discussion are conducted. If he disagrees with Fauci on scientific merit, publish a research paper. If he disagrees with Fauci on policy...Fauci doesn't really set policy, but fine. Throw out your own ideas about what should be done.

I wonder if Oz found out the FTC and/or AMA are about to tear him a new one and wants to put up a "political persecution" defense.
Old 13th January 2022, 02:10 PM   #4
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I cannot imagine someone like Fauci taking the time to debate another worthless Fox News idiot.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 02:13 PM   #5
angrysoba
Philosophile

Quote:
But older Americans are at risk if we cannot get them life-saving solutions that have been around for more than a year.
What’s he talking about? Vaccines? Surely anyone can get them right now?

Or is it some conspiracy that monoclonals are being denied to people who need them?

Or is it ivermectin?

Or hydroxychloriquune?

Or vitamin D?

Nah! Debating people like Oz is probably not worth it because Fauci has nothing to gain by doing so. He’d likely Gish gallop bringing up some absurd claims that nobody had heard of (because they are made up) and to which Fauci will not be able to respond (because who can respond do made up claims?) leaving Oz able to say Fauci is misinformed giving the impression that Oz is somehow well-versed and a Fauci isn’t.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 02:17 PM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

Fauci is just the right-wing and conspiracy theory (but I repeat myself) bogeyman. They seem to believe he is somehow pulling the strings on a global project to deceive the world by first manufacturing a pandemic in a Chinese lab and then using it to justify taking everyone’s freedoms away and/or get them chipped through some vaccine shenanigans.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 02:22 PM   #7
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Sorry Oz, Fauci works for a living. No time for random Senate runs or useless debates.

I think Fetterman will debate you though, what are you afraid of?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 02:25 PM   #8
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Older Americans were vulnerable by this virus, but the vast majority of people, of course, aren't, it's relatively benign.
Except, of course, if you are not one of the "vast majority" and you catch it and you die. Like 200-thousand of your fellow citizens under 65.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...vid-by-age-us/

Stupid, no-nothing loony.
Old 13th January 2022, 05:22 PM   #9
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Attention-seeking behavior, and likely an ulterior motive. I suspect his Ivermectin sales are down. Should Fauci decline to debate, the expected outcome, Oz can claim "victory" or something. You would imagine Oz knows better than to behave like this. He is not a particularly foolish man usually.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 05:31 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Dear Tony,

"Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 06:26 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Dear Tony,

"Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
In other words, don't wrestle with a pig in a mudpit.
Old 13th January 2022, 07:57 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The problem for Fauci is that he would be limited in his debate to using facts, whereas Dr Idiot would be able to debate with his unlimited CT BS, and failing that, he would just make stuff up as he goes.

The result would see Dr Idiot knocking all the chess pieces over, crapping all over the board and declaring himself the winner.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 08:01 PM   #13
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

The problem for Fauci is that he would be limited in his debate to using facts, whereas Dr Idiot would be able to debate with his unlimited CT BS, and failing that, he would just make stuff up as he goes.

The result would see Dr Idiot knocking all the chess pieces over, crapping all over the board and declaring himself the winner.
Which is of course the same argument for not debating creationists or any other woomongers. Fauci will, obviously, ignore this troll.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:42 PM   #14
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I have seen (not a doctor) Oz on TV from time to time. He is a flat out fraud

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:45 PM   #15
stanfr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Attention-seeking behavior, and likely an ulterior motive. I suspect his Ivermectin sales are down. Should Fauci decline to debate, the expected outcome, Oz can claim "victory" or something. You would imagine Oz knows better than to behave like this. He is not a particularly foolish man usually.
You must have missed the past 2 decades. Oz had been promoting pseudoscientific nonsense from the start, Id say that qualifies him as particularly foolish.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 11:14 PM   #16
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
You must have missed the past 2 decades. Oz had been promoting pseudoscientific nonsense from the start, Id say that qualifies him as particularly foolish.
Maybe Norman is thinking of Frank Oz.

Old 13th January 2022, 11:17 PM   #17
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Ranb
Whether there would be a benefit would depend on exactly what Oz wants to debate. I have listened to the whole interview where he made this challenge and his declaration for a Senate run and I have no idea what he wants to debate Fauci about.

He says he created life-saving inventions and trained surgeons but decided that he would limit messaging on treatment and instead focus on going on television to promote personal action to prevent disease. Now he admonishes Fauci for limiting messaging on treatment and instead focus on going on television to promote personal action to prevent disease.

He says Fauci told people go to hide under their covers and let the smarty pants people take care of them instead of empowering the people. What empowerment? Empowerment of prevention is things like avoiding crowds and mearing masks. Reading between the lines, I think he means power to choose experimental drugs.

In the interview he talks about hydroxychloroquine, at least in the early days, and how it was banned by Cuomo and therapeutics were disparaged. Cuomo issued an order in March 2020 to purchase tens of thousands of doses of the drug and support clinical trials. Trials showed it didn't work. FDA didn't approve it for covid. Cuomo banned it outside of FDA approved uses and authorized covid trials. Of course, none of that has anything to do with Fauchi.

He talks about the Merck pill. He means molnupiravir. He says it existed and was available two years before covid. It did exist. It wasn't available. Research had slowed down due to probable unexpected RNA mutations. Interested had started to grow in late 2019 to make it safer and study effects on influenza. This was from grants by NIH and clinical trials approved by NIAID. That's Fauci. He is Director of NIAID, a division of NIH. Oz says after it was FDA approved Biden didn't buy enough to cover all 325 million Americans. Biden got 70 million. It is used to treat people with severe covid symptoms, not to be given to everybody. And there are millions of doses of other better treatments. Again, nothing to do with Fauci.

Maybe a debate could be had over whether FDA polices on emergency approval experimental drugs is too strict. That's probably a debate best addressed by people on the FDA board.

Given all that, I don't know what Oz would debate with Fauci. He has not presented any arguments where Fauci has purview and has expressed a differing position. Oz just seems to be ranting, about FDA policies at most, and about wrongful facts at least. I don't see what the topics for a debate with Fauci would even be.
Old 13th January 2022, 11:26 PM   #18
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

colloidal silver that turns you blue. That would not be foolish, would it? Surely Oz would never recommend it or sell it would he? Nobody would be that foolish, would they?

Yeah they would. And you are one of them.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 07:18 AM   #19
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
colloidal silver that turns you blue. That would not be foolish, would it? Surely Oz would never recommend it or sell it would he? Nobody would be that foolish, would they?

Yeah they would. And you are one of them.
Me or Oz?

I had hoped that Oz who is an educated man would be better than how he is behaving. Sadly not. He is close to Mike Pillow crazy.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 08:05 AM   #20
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Fauci, assuming he even knows of this idiotic challenge, would do best to not even acknowledge it. It has no relevance to his job.
Old 14th January 2022, 08:13 AM   #21
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I have seen (not a doctor) Oz on TV from time to time. He is a flat out fraud
Sadly, he's a very accomplished surgeon, which makes his peddling of woo so much more infuriating than Alex Jones or some snake-handling preacher. He has areal credibility but he uses to push things that are way out of his scope and/or he knows are wrong.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:40 AM   #22
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Just as true now as it was 10 years ago. How little people learn.

Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...4/the-operator
Old 14th January 2022, 11:08 AM   #23
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Oz is a self-promoting, bull **** snake-oil peddling turd. Or in the eyes of many, a medical expert.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 02:11 PM   #24
Venom
Philosopher

LMAO he's gone full MAGA.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 02:40 PM   #25
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Just as true now as it was 10 years ago. How little people learn.

Is the most trusted doctor in America doing more harm than good?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...4/the-operator
I just read the whole piece. I have nothing to add, other than that he is indeed doing far more harm than good.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 02:43 PM   #26
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Me or Oz?

I had hoped that Oz who is an educated man would be better than how he is behaving. Sadly not. He is close to Mike Pillow crazy.
pologies, I meant Oz. Sorry I was not more clear. Just to put a nail in it, you are one of the posters here that I respect.

Old 14th January 2022, 03:04 PM   #27
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Sadly, he's a very accomplished surgeon, which makes his peddling of woo so much more infuriating than Alex Jones or some snake-handling preacher. He has areal credibility but he uses to push things that are way out of his scope and/or he knows are wrong.
Yep. Didn't he used to have a guest spot on Oprah? That is a breeding ground for cranks. That inflicted Dr. Phil on the world.

Old 14th January 2022, 06:10 PM   #28
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Oz doesn't seem to say what he wants to "debate." I suspect it would be something like Rand Paul's Senate hearings, where he tosses out crazy accusations and doesn't even give Fauci a chance to respond. I suspect he would also try to blame Fauci personally for every government misstep from the beginning, and there certainly have been many, most originating with the Trump WH.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 11:35 PM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Of course, Fauci could just always say: "Trump insisted on that! Are you saying Trump was wrong?"

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 12:25 AM   #30
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Have you seen his bank account?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 05:46 AM   #31
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Did Oz ever ask Fauci to be on his show? Or was that reserved for peddlers?
Old 17th January 2022, 02:09 AM   #32
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Oz doesn't seem to say what he wants to "debate." I suspect it would be something like Rand Paul's Senate hearings, where he tosses out crazy accusations and doesn't even give Fauci a chance to respond. I suspect he would also try to blame Fauci personally for every government misstep from the beginning, and there certainly have been many, most originating with the Trump WH.
Exactly. I have no idea what he wants to debate. He is projecting some big conflict between him and Fauci that never happened.

He raises some issues with Cuomo and the FDA that have nothing to do with him.

He says closing schools had no significant impact on preventing hospitalizations of students. Yeah. Schools were mostly closed to stop the spread, not protect young students. And we didn't know then how much it could be spread. It seems like he wants to hold Fauci's feet to the fire for things that were not known when he made decisions. And Fauci's job was to provide information on the risks of open schools. It was up to politicians to weigh those risks against the benefits. Arguing those decisions is outside Fauci's purview.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events