IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , Congressional hearings

Old 13th January 2022, 03:50 PM   #1321
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I don't have to object to any of the committee's actions in order to state that it is a highly partisan effort, with a significant focus on political gain. Quite frankly, denying that truth only serves to make the Dems look politically inept.
You're thinking of the multiple Benghazi investigations that never troubled you enough to comment on.

Republicans were offered a seat at the table for the January 6th commission and refused. The degree to which it is partisan is entirely of their own making.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 05:29 PM   #1322
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have to object to any of the committee's actions in order to state that it is a highly partisan effort, with a significant focus on political gain. Quite frankly, denying that truth only serves to make the Dems look politically inept.
So when was it that you fell in love with Donald, exactly?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 05:57 PM   #1323
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The only reason your using the term "partisan" is to dismiss the committee as political and not honest.

BS is nothing but chewed up grass and I'm not eating what your serving.
Old 13th January 2022, 05:59 PM   #1324
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The only reason your using the term "partisan" is to dismiss the committee as political and not honest.

BS is nothing but chewed up grass and I'm not eating what your serving.
I question their honesty.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 06:04 PM   #1325
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Of course, you do.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 06:34 PM   #1326
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
BS is nothing but chewed up grass and ...
And a LOT of methanogenic bacteria.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 06:42 PM   #1327
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Of course, you do.
You can always count on some people.
Old 13th January 2022, 06:48 PM   #1328
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sorry, but isn't questioning a claimant's honesty part of Skepticism 101?
Old 13th January 2022, 06:56 PM   #1329
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm sorry, but isn't questioning a claimant's honesty part of Skepticism 101?
No, it's not.

"Skepticism, also spelled scepticism, in Western philosophy, the attitude of doubting knowledge claims set forth in various areas."
(Britannica)

It does not mean doubting someone's honesty, it means to question things generally considered as facts.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 07:03 PM   #1330
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's not.

"Skepticism, also spelled scepticism, in Western philosophy, the attitude of doubting knowledge claims set forth in various areas."
(Britannica)

It does not mean doubting someone's honesty, it means to question things generally considered as facts.
Is your definition generally considered as fact? Because if so I question it..
Old 13th January 2022, 07:10 PM   #1331
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
No, it's not.

(Britannica)

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is your definition generally considered as fact? Because if so I question it..
Quote:
Skepticism (American and Canadian English) or scepticism (British, Irish, Australian, and New Zealand English) is generally a questioning attitude or doubt towards one or more putative instances of knowledge which are asserted to be mere belief or dogma.[1][2] Formally, skepticism is a topic of interest in philosophy, particularly epistemology. More informally, skepticism as an expression of questioning or doubt can be applied to any topic, such as politics, religion, or pseudoscience. It is often applied within restricted domains, such as morality (moral skepticism), theism (skepticism about the existence of God), or the supernatural.[3]
(wiki)

You can always go edit it without permission and make it appear any way you want. You're good at that, aren't ya?
Old 13th January 2022, 07:28 PM   #1332
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

When is someone going to post about the new arrest of Stewart Rhodes?
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 07:37 PM   #1333
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Very good news.
Old 13th January 2022, 07:38 PM   #1334
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

About 8 hours ago.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 07:44 PM   #1335
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Rhodes was a keyboard warrior and grifter.

Quote:
In essence, Rhodes was the Oath Keepers — effectively president for life with full control of donations, according to researchers and the group’s bylaws. Adams and former associates said newly recruited board members typically spent about three months “thinking they had this honored position” before figuring out they had joined a cult of personality.

Long before Jan. 6, members were going public with allegations that Rhodes misused the organization’s funds for personal expenses such as fancy steak dinners and hair dye. A Wall Street Journal report based on Oath Keepers bank records showed expenditures that included thousands of dollars in gun-shop purchases and auto repairs, along with hundreds spent at a bar, a lingerie shop and a perfume outlet.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ba0_story.html
Old 13th January 2022, 07:53 PM   #1336
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Long before Jan. 6, members were going public with allegations that Rhodes misused the organization’s funds for personal expenses such as fancy steak dinners and hair dye. A Wall Street Journal report based on Oath Keepers bank records showed expenditures that included thousands of dollars in gun-shop purchases and auto repairs, along with hundreds spent at a bar, a lingerie shop and a perfume outlet.
Tactical lingerie and perfume, no doubt.
Old 13th January 2022, 07:57 PM   #1337
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I imagine the reluctance to accept the use of the adjective 'partisan' is because it is often assumed to be synonymous with the adjective 'prejudiced'. As long as the committee succeeds in establishing the facts of what occurred on January 6th, its makeup is immaterial. Which is why you are being asked to point out specific issues with its actions to justify your assumption that its makeup will automatically result in "a significant focus on political gain".
Old 13th January 2022, 07:58 PM   #1338
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
About 8 hours ago.
I just heard the news. In 2008 when I was talking about John McCain on MySpace in the Republicans Forum, he was promoting Ron Paul, and we bumped head, I would tell you more but I would be accused of personalizing the conversation here, so let's Just say Stewart said the Feds were going to take his guns and now they have.
Hope Stewart finds a buddy in Prison he is going to be there a long time.

Last edited by Crazy Chainsaw; 13th January 2022 at 07:59 PM.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 08:05 PM   #1339
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I posted it here...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=351039

Because I didn't think it belonged in this thread. I thought this thread was supposed be about the House Investigation into January 6, which these charges have nothing to do with as they arose from the DoJ/FBI investigations.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 08:10 PM   #1340
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I just heard the news. In 2008 when I was talking about John McCain on MySpace in the Republicans Forum, he was promoting Ron Paul, and we bumped head, I would tell you more but I would be accused of personalizing the conversation here, so let's Just say Stewart said the Feds were going to take his guns and now they have.
Hope Stewart finds a buddy in Prison he is going to be there a long time.
As I posted in the other thread....
18 USC § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
If he ends up in front of one of those hard arse Federal judges in Washington, like Amy Berman Jackson or Tanya Chutkan, they are likely to throw the bloody book at him.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 08:22 PM   #1341
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You're thinking of the multiple Benghazi investigations that never troubled you enough to comment on.

Republicans were offered a seat at the table for the January 6th commission and refused. The degree to which it is partisan is entirely of their own making.
In fact, its even worse than that. The people they offered up to serve on the committee were all members who were not only going to be called to testify, they were ones that are highly likely to be facing indictments, especially that scumbag sexual abuse enabler Gym Jordan. Kevin McCarty deliberately proposed members that he knew perfectly well were unacceptable. Its not too hard to figure out that Jordan's entire purpose on the committee would have been to stir up as much trouble as possible and to leak information back to McCarthy in order to undermine the committee's work. Anyone who doesn't understand this is too ******* stupid and naive for words!!

Furthermore, the committee IS bipartisan, it has two Republican members of the House, pretty much the ONLY Republican members who are capable of being honest about January 6.
Cullen Hightower
Old 13th January 2022, 10:14 PM   #1342
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

At this point, I question yours.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 11:54 PM   #1343
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
In fact, its even worse than that. The people they offered up to serve on the committee were all members who were not only going to be called to testify, they were ones that are highly likely to be facing indictments, especially that scumbag sexual abuse enabler Gym Jordan. Kevin McCarty deliberately proposed members that he knew perfectly well were unacceptable. Its not too hard to figure out that Jordan's entire purpose on the committee would have been to stir up as much trouble as possible and to leak information back to McCarthy in order to undermine the committee's work. Anyone who doesn't understand this is too ******* stupid and naive for words!!

Furthermore, the committee IS bipartisan, it has two Republican members of the House, pretty much the ONLY Republican members who are capable of being honest about January 6.
Old 14th January 2022, 01:15 PM   #1344
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
I don't understand how purchasing hair dye is a misuse of the organization’s funds. Would you want your fellow insurrectionists prancing around in their god-given hair color? How does that further the cause?
Old 14th January 2022, 01:35 PM   #1345
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
I don't understand how purchasing hair dye is a misuse of the organization’s funds. Would you want your fellow insurrectionists prancing around in their god-given hair color? How does that further the cause?
But why the expensive real hair dye when he could have just borrowed Giuliani's mascara?
Old 14th January 2022, 01:54 PM   #1346
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
But why the expensive real hair dye when he could have just borrowed Giuliani's mascara?
How's an insurrection supposed to work with runny mascara? That doesn't even make sense.
Old 14th January 2022, 02:46 PM   #1347
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
How's an insurrection supposed to work with runny mascara? That doesn't even make sense.
You're right. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 14th January 2022, 07:50 PM   #1348
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Capitol rioters called Nancy Pelosi's office looking for a 'lost and found' for items they left behind on January 6, according to Rep. Jamie Raskin
Quote:
As crews cleaned the US Capitol on January 7, 2021, the phone lines in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office began to ring.

Rioters were calling "asking whether there was a lost and found because they forgot their phone there, or they left their purse or what have you," Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., told Insider on Friday in a Q&A.

Police officers quickly took down information from the callers, Raskin said.

As for bipartisan, there's a reason Cheney held such a high position among the GOP legislators. She had an almost perfect record voting for right-wing positions on legislation.

Much as I don't agree with any of those positions, she has shown incredible integrity, something the GOP pretends to value.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 12:42 AM   #1349
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Capitol rioters called Nancy Pelosi's office looking for a 'lost and found' for items they left behind on January 6, according to Rep. Jamie Raskin

As for bipartisan, there's a reason Cheney held such a high position among the GOP legislators. She had an almost perfect record voting for right-wing positions on legislation.

Much as I don't agree with any of those positions, she has shown incredible integrity, something the GOP pretends to value.
No one ever said they were bright.
Old 15th January 2022, 01:13 AM   #1350
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This is Kevin McCarthy on Jan 13, 2021 on KERN Radio:

Quote:
I say he has responsibility. He told me personally that he does have some responsibility. I think a lot of people do. But now, that I find out...One thing about impeachment-why would you run it through so fast? I say-let's put a bipartisan commission, let's learn all the facts.
Of course, this was before he
Quote:
rejected a proposal for a bipartisan commission that would have given equal membership and subpoena power to Democrats and Republicans. After the commission proposal failed in the Senate because of Republican opposition (only six Republicans voted in favor), the House created the Democratic-controlled select committee.
When he was asked this past Jan. 6 about that phone call to the radio show above he said:

Quote:
"I'm not sure what call you're talking about, so."
Quote:
CNN Capitol Hill reporter Melanie Zanona reported Thursday that below is exactly what McCarthy had told House Republicans on that call, according to a source who had been on the call and kept a record of it:

"Let me be clear to you, and I have been very clear to the president. He bears responsibility for his words and actions. No if, ands or buts. I asked him personally today if he holds responsibility for what happened, if he feels bad about what happened. He told me he does have some responsibility for what happened. But he needs to acknowledge that."
What a slug McCarthy is.
Old 15th January 2022, 05:18 AM   #1351
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

What a slug McCarthy is.
You taught me a new word: apophallation.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 11:08 PM   #1352
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

After Jan. 6, rioters tried to pick up their lost stuff.
Quote:
People who had stormed the Capitol, called “asking whether there was a lost and found because they forgot their phone there, or they left their purse or what have you,” Rep. Jamie Raskin told Insider. The staffers passed on the calls to law enforcement. “The officers quickly got on the phone and said, yeah, just give us your name, your address, your social, you know, and we’ll tie up those loose ends,” the Democratic lawmaker from Maryland said.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...nd-raskin.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 01:04 AM   #1353
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
You taught me a new word: apophallation.
That would be quite in line for McCarthy as he already has no balls.
Old 16th January 2022, 07:32 AM   #1354
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
After Jan. 6, rioters tried to pick up their lost stuff.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...nd-raskin.html
They are hardly the brightest:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1993493.html
Quote:

Jan 6 rioter lashes out as CNN interview sends him back to jail
‘So you asked me if I’d do it again? I want to say yes’

Prosecutors also noted that Mr Pruitt had violated his curfew on several occasions, that he had threatened multiple people on social media, one of them being his ex-girlfriend, and that he has violated his probation in cases not related to 6 January.

Old 16th January 2022, 08:13 AM   #1355
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
People who had stormed the Capitol, called “asking whether there was a lost and found because they forgot their phone there, or they left their purse or what have you,” Rep. Jamie Raskin told Insider.
They also have a sense of entitlement. They see themselves as the 'real' Americans and they have this sense, 'If I do it, it's okay.' The scariest part is, you can't reason with them. They're unreachable through conventional reasoning.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 07:43 AM   #1356
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Why didn’t the FBI see the Capitol siege coming?
A year later, the bureau still won’t come clean on why it ignored piles of evidence and outside warnings about political violence before the attack on Jan. 6, 2021.

The warnings came from all sides: regional law enforcement, social media platforms, Congress (specifically the House and Senate intelligence committees), a top defense official, extremist watchdogs, right-wing experts, journalists and even three different components within the FBI itself.

Grid reviewed every public statement FBI officials made about the bureau’s intelligence leading up to the siege to understand how the FBI explained its posture on Jan. 6. We read hundreds of pages of FBI briefings and press statements, FBI officials’ testimony before Congress and public comments in news reports.

We found that the FBI has given at least five different explanations for why it failed to heed these warnings and take steps to foil the Capitol attack or help other agencies prepare a sufficient response. Some of them support arguments the FBI should get more money and legal authorities. But given what we now know, none of them holds up.

“This is what the FBI is good at,” German said. “Taking its failures and turning them into opportunities for more resources.”
https://www.grid.news/story/politics...-siege-coming/

Nothing about the violence on Jan6 was surprising. The violent potential for the rally was clearly telegraphed and it seems everyone in the country understood this except for the feds and Capitol police.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 17th January 2022 at 07:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 07:58 AM   #1357
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
https://www.grid.news/story/politics...-siege-coming/

Nothing about the violence on Jan6 was surprising. The violent potential for the rally was clearly telegraphed and it seems everyone in the country understood this except for the feds and Capitol police.
It doesn't seem like they would have had to do a whole lot to keep this situation from escalating like it did.
Old 17th January 2022, 08:00 AM   #1358
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
They also have a sense of entitlement. They see themselves as the 'real' Americans and they have this sense, 'If I do it, it's okay.' The scariest part is, you can't reason with them. They're unreachable through conventional reasoning.
well, why wouldn't they feel that way? the politicians they admire have been rewarded for doing whatever they want
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:01 AM   #1359
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

The larger problem is that it was understood by policy level people in both.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:10 AM   #1360
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
The larger problem is that it was understood by policy level people in both.
Well, yeah. It's pretty implausible that they didn't realize the violent potential.

I'm sure throwing more money at them will make them care about these issues more though

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics