IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags glenn beck , racism charges

Old 9th January 2022, 03:29 PM   #81
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The potential for Photoshop manipulation is high here. It would be a simple matter to make that poster into a Tom of Finland print. Or worse, a Thomas Kinkade.
Old 9th January 2022, 03:40 PM   #82
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The potential for Photoshop manipulation is high here. It would be a simple matter to make that poster into a Tom of Finland print. Or worse, a Thomas Kinkade.
Thomas Kinkade! That would be too Awful.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 03:41 PM   #83
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I listened to the Beck's explanation of the painting. He says "Schneling" instead of "Schmeling" five times. I just find it odd that he thinks so highly of that event that he actually paints it, learns how Schmeling found Louis' weak spot, but calls him Schneling 5 times. I don't follow boxing at all (can't stand it) but even I knew his name was Max Schmeling.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 03:50 PM   #84
Cain
Straussian

This thread is a reasonably good example of confirmation bias. Robert Wright offers a similar thought experiment in a recent mini-lecture: You see something about a political enemy that can make you feel good, so you share the news. I've always thought Glenn Beck was a turd, so if he's a racist, Nazi-loving turd, somehow that's even better. "I knew it!"

Hearing this news might make some people feel bad. Maybe they don't even like Glenn Beck, but he's on their team, so they do more investigating, and, a-ha, sure enough their priors are confirmed: This little incident does not prove chalkboard dude is a racist. The bad guys are yet again unfairly maligning the good guys. "I knew it!"
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 03:52 PM   #85
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I listened to the Beck's explanation of the painting. He says "Schneling" instead of "Schmeling" five times. I just find it odd that he thinks so highly of that event that he actually paints it, learns how Schmeling found Louis' weak spot, but calls him Schneling 5 times. I don't follow boxing at all (can't stand it) but even I knew his name was Max Schmeling.
It can happen to anyone, even scholar radio show hosts. One patriot wrote a probing book about the "Franklin" school.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 04:13 PM   #86
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I've been noticing for the last few years a tendency for N and M to replace each other at times in various English speakers, usually by switching to the one that's closer to the mouth position for an adjacent sound, but sometimes just arbitrarily. For example, one could fairly easily understand the number sequence "seven-one" coming out as "sevem-one", as I've noticed that it now does roughly equally often or even more so, but, strangely, I've also heard a few different YouTube presenters turning "in general" into "in gemeral" for no apparent reason.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 04:24 PM   #87
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Nevermind. There's really no point in continuing this exchange. The OP has been thoroughly debunked, nothing more need be said.
Upchruch understood what you were doing. Reframing the context only based on convenience is a great wat to avoid dealing with reality.

If Beck was known for his honesty and even temperament, his explanation could be taken at face value.

But since he has a habit of disingenuous behavior and racist dog whistles, it cannot be dismissed. The only way this can be considered debunked is to forget all past events related to Beck and accept his explanation at face value. If you really believe this is debunked I have a bridge I would like to sell you in NYC.
Old 9th January 2022, 04:50 PM   #88
Paul2
Philosopher

Invisible? His "exculpatory" motive wasn't invisible. He talked about it publicly multiple times. His actual audience heard him.
Sorry, I was talking about the audience when the picture was in the background. Are you saying he mentioned his reason for painting the pic during that show from the OP?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 05:32 PM   #89
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This is getting stupid.

If you want to convey racist intent as the OP suggested, that photo is a piss poor way to do it. The story behind the photo pretty much invalidates that interpretation.
The story behind the photo isn't self-evident or obvious; there's nothing in the photo itself that signals the man on the ground will one day defeat the man standing in the background, or in what form that reprisal will come, or if the opportunity will ever even arise. And Beck at no point offers any of that context until someone on his website writes a short blurb in response to criticism - a touching story of triumph and redemption that Beck apparently finds so deeply and personally inspiring that he doesn't even know how to spell the man's name correctly.

Although the camera shot seems like it's framed to include this picture, there's no reason to explain why it is. You may buy Beck's website's excuse for why that picture hangs on the wall of his house or you may choose not to based on Beck's own cumulative history; but whether you do or not, its presence in that video is inexplicable. It's literally a commercial for a quack diet supplement chewy-bar. He doesn't include any inspirational messages or segues or taglines or anything at all that would tie back to the actual context of the photo. It's a random photograph of a white man standing triumphant over a defeated black man, neither of whose face is really visible or identifiable, unrelated in any case to the working content of the video it appears in.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 05:38 PM   #90
Checkmite

I listened to the Beck's explanation of the painting. He says "Schneling" instead of "Schmeling" five times. I just find it odd that he thinks so highly of that event that he actually paints it, learns how Schmeling found Louis' weak spot, but calls him Schneling 5 times.
I, too, have always taken profound life-inspiration from one of my favorite historical moments of all time, the story of Schneling vs. Lewis.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 05:49 PM   #91
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Guys, guys, GUYS!

What are you doing? Everyone know that critical thinking goes until someone declares themselves the winner. After that, there is nothing left to discuss.

Nevermind. There's really no point in continuing this exchange. The OP has been thoroughly debunked, nothing more need be said.
Checkmate, atheists.
Old 9th January 2022, 06:02 PM   #92
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Because his total exposure to WW2 history likely amounts to nothing more than reading War Comics as a pre-teen...

"Achtung! Achtung! Schnell! Schell"!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th January 2022 at 06:04 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 06:06 PM   #93
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The story behind the photo isn't self-evident or obvious; there's nothing in the photo itself that signals the man on the ground will one day defeat the man standing in the background, or in what form that reprisal will come, or if the opportunity will ever even arise. And Beck at no point offers any of that context until someone on his website writes a short blurb in response to criticism - a touching story of triumph and redemption that Beck apparently finds so deeply and personally inspiring that he doesn't even know how to spell the man's name correctly.

Although the camera shot seems like it's framed to include this picture, there's no reason to explain why it is. You may buy Beck's website's excuse for why that picture hangs on the wall of his house or you may choose not to based on Beck's own cumulative history; but whether you do or not, its presence in that video is inexplicable. It's literally a commercial for a quack diet supplement chewy-bar. He doesn't include any inspirational messages or segues or taglines or anything at all that would tie back to the actual context of the photo. It's a random photograph of a white man standing triumphant over a defeated black man, neither of whose face is really visible or identifiable, unrelated in any case to the working content of the video it appears in.

Summed up very nicely!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 07:38 PM   #94
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The story behind the photo isn't self-evident or obvious
Perhaps. But 1) a benign explanation was obvious from the start, and I guessed it with zero knowledge of the actual story. And 2) self-evident or not, it was trivial to find out. You didn't even try.

Quote:
And Beck at no point offers any of that context until someone on his website writes a short blurb in response to criticism
You are still getting this wrong?

He offered up this context eight months ago! And the recent video was from before Hayes said anything, and it wasn't in response to any criticism.

Quote:
It's a random photograph of a white man standing triumphant over a defeated black man, neither of whose face is really visible or identifiable, unrelated in any case to the working content of the video it appears in.
God damn, you can't get anything right. Are you not paying any attention?

It's not a photograph at all. It's a painting. And if you don't know anything about it at all, you can't actually identify the race of the person in the foreground. Seriously, look at it again, but closely this time: the skin tone of the guy in the back isn't actually any lighter than the guy in the front. So if you divorce yourself completely from any knowledge of the subject, you can't even pull that from it. And if you don't divorce yourself from any knowledge of the subject, then the racism you're implying simply doesn't flow automatically from it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 07:39 PM   #95
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Upchruch understood what you were doing. Reframing the context only based on convenience is a great wat to avoid dealing with reality.
You are describing the OP.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 07:45 PM   #96
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

You are describing the OP.
Doubt is describing your posts. You might think it is also applicable to the OP, because two things can be true at the same time. But it's not in this case, because I was addressing your comments, not the OP.
Old 9th January 2022, 10:42 PM   #97
Checkmite

Perhaps. But 1) a benign explanation was obvious from the start, and I guessed it with zero knowledge of the actual story. And 2) self-evident or not, it was trivial to find out. You didn't even try.
An alternative and more flattering explanation was available, as you've shown; and it was the first possibility you leapt to for reasons that are known only to you; but simply being there doesn't make it worth much. As an explanation it's fairly incredible and "just so" in nature. My list of potential explanations was induced from what is known about Beck's beliefs and attitudes as also expressed by himself over the years, and I'm still convinced those potential explanations are far more consistent with that history than the PR fluffery you've managed to find.

It would be a little more easy to believe if Beck had been, say, a boxer in his youth. Or even an actual boxing fan. Or even a student of civil rights history. Or even had faced a decision at some point in his life where he publicly had to claw his way back to redemption in a manner that could be considered allegorical to "Joe Lewis". But none of those things is true about Glenn Beck.

God damn, you can't get anything right. Are you not paying any attention?

It's not a photograph at all. It's a painting.
Firstly,

1) You need to calm down; and

2) This is hair-splitting for its own sake. It's a painting - of a very specific photograph. It being a painting of that photograph rather than a blown-up print of that photograph changes the conversation and the points being made in it by exactly no amount whatsoever.

Last edited by Checkmite; 9th January 2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 9th January 2022, 11:04 PM   #98
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It would be a little more easy to believe if Beck had been, say, a boxer in his youth. Or even an actual boxing fan. Or even a student of civil rights history. Or even had faced a decision at some point in his life where he publicly had to claw his way back to redemption in a manner that could be considered allegorical to "Joe Lewis". But none of those things is true about Glenn Beck.
Indeed.

Glenn Beck is person with a well known and extensive history of being a racist piece of crap, and an apologist for white supremacy.

When a person with such a history paints a picture of a famous occasion where a white man from Nazi Germany has just smashed a Black man from the US, particularly when it is well understood that the Nazis actually used that occasion to promote their vile theories of white racial purity, it is then entirely reasonable to conclude that the painter has done so for reasons more associated with his known history of racism and white supremacy, than some other noble story he is telling.

Beck is a racist, but he ain't stupid. He would understand that if he made that painting visible to the public, someone might call him on it. His story proves nothing other than he might be smart enough to understand the need to have a ready-made excuse.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th January 2022 at 11:15 PM.
Old 9th January 2022, 11:15 PM   #99
Checkmite

And Louis didn't need to wait 2 years to get back up. He had a victory in his next match just two months later. It took 2 years before a rematch with Schmeling, but he was back on top much earlier than that.
Then what is so compelling about this image versus one of any boxer that wins the next bout after having lost one?

It's not a photo. And if he had wanted an image of Louis' humiliation, he should have picked one from Louis' loss against Marciano, since that defeat was the end of his career.
Firstly - lol, no it wasn't. Louis's fight against Marciano was post-retirement, and it wasn't even his first post-retirement loss. By that point he positively didn't want to box, the only reason he was doing it was because he was in debt and that was public knowledge; Marciano's win was fully expected and nobody knocked Louis for it. It wasn't a humiliation at all.

It could also be important that Marciano didn't represent Nazi Germany when he beat Joe Louis.
Old 9th January 2022, 11:32 PM   #100
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

An alternative and more flattering explanation was available, as you've shown; and it was the first possibility you leapt to for reasons that are known only to you;
You basically asked for an innocent explanation. And now you think it's suspect that I came up with one?

Quote:
but simply being there doesn't make it worth much.
Your explanation wasn't any more than "simply being there".

But you're fundamentally wrong on this point too. There is value in seeing non-malicious explanations for people's actions, especially ones that look ambiguous.

Quote:
As an explanation it's fairly incredible and "just so" in nature.
Except it has the virtue of both fitting the nature of the picture better, AND matching the consistent explanation that Beck has provided going back well before there were even any accusations about it.

Quote:
My list of potential explanations was induced from what is known about Beck's beliefs and attitudes as also expressed by himself over the years
Perhaps you don't actually know Beck as well as you think you do.

Quote:
and I'm still convinced those potential explanations are far more consistent with that history than the PR fluffery you've managed to find.
Of course. Never let evidence dissuade you from thinking badly of people you disagree with. This is exactly what C.S. Lewis was talking about. You're determined "to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible".

Quote:
2) This is hair-splitting for its own sake.
No, it's not. Mistaking it for a photo at the start is really no big deal (and I said so), but to continue to do so after I've pointed out that it's not shows that you aren't paying attention. Your lack of attention is why this is significant. And it's been the hallmark of this entire thread. From the start, it was premised on the flimsiest of evidence, which crumbled like wet toilet paper when subjected to any actual scrutiny. This thread only exists because you never did give it any scrutiny, and you don't appear to be doing so even now.
Old 9th January 2022, 11:33 PM   #101
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Beck is a racist, but he ain't stupid. He would understand that if he made that painting visible to the public, someone might call him on it. His story proves nothing other than he might be smart enough to understand the need to have a ready-made excuse.
This is some grade A rationalization for being wrong.
Old 10th January 2022, 01:08 AM   #102
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This is some grade A rationalization for being wrong.
Its also a reasonable conclusion to draw!
Cullen Hightower
Old 10th January 2022, 02:51 AM   #103
Checkmite

You basically asked for an innocent explanation. And now you think it's suspect that I came up with one?

Your explanation wasn't any more than "simply being there".

But you're fundamentally wrong on this point too. There is value in seeing non-malicious explanations for people's actions, especially ones that look ambiguous.
Not if those explanations aren't accurate. There is no value in rationalizing away uncomfortable truths in order to avoid dealing with the implications.

Except it has the virtue of both fitting the nature of the picture better, AND matching the consistent explanation that Beck has provided going back well before there were even any accusations about it.
It doesn't match the nature of the picture at all, let alone "better".

And honestly, I'm tired of humoring that particular assertion already - frankly, the notion that Beck takes inspiration in the documented moment of a black man's defeat by a Nazi because of something else that happened years later, a thing which is neither hinted at in the image itself nor in for instance a second piece of art designed to accompany the first, is Cirque de Soleil-class contortion. You call it an "obvious" explanation - heh, okay, if you say so. I call it obvious balderdash, a naked attempt at "some of my best friends are black"-type equivocation. More onions for the eyes. Beck claims to take inspiration from Joe Louis's redemption, but Beck did not enshrine the moment of Louis's redemption - and he absolutely could have, if he had wanted to - he chose to enshrine the moment of Louis's defeat; a moment and an image that has been enshrined by others before, for very specific reasons that have nothing to do with Louis's "redemption".

Sometimes there's a legitimate reason behind a person's bad reputation. And reputations have consequences. When someone with a history of questionable statements and expressed attitudes involving race then tries claiming that they have always found deep personal inspiration in the struggles of black man, not extending the benefit of the doubt as to their sincerity is a reasonable and logical response. Maybe not to the exclusion of other possible responses, but nevertheless.
Old 10th January 2022, 03:02 AM   #104
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Honestly, who gives a flying **** what Glenn Beck has in his house. He is mostly unknown outside the USA. Of those that do know OF him, very few have seen or listened to him. And of those, even fewer haven't laughed and said "Wahdamaroon".
Those who are looking for one more reason to rag on him. Just add in a dollop of confirmation bias, and voila!
Old 10th January 2022, 05:37 AM   #105
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

And honestly, I'm tired of humoring that particular assertion already - frankly, the notion that Beck takes inspiration in the documented moment of a black man's defeat by a Nazi because of something else that happened years later, a thing which is neither hinted at in the image itself nor in for instance a second piece of art designed to accompany the first, is Cirque de Soleil-class contortion.
Contortion? You are the one desperately trying to find excuses to not believe Beck's explanation. First you claimed that the explanation couldn't be trusted because he only said it in response to criticism. But then that fell apart because time travel isn't a thing, so now it's basically just an argument from incredulity. You cannot even conceive of Beck doing something for nonracist reasons.

This has become a complete farce. You are impervious to evidence.
Old 10th January 2022, 05:40 AM   #106
Matthew Best
Philosopher

You see in forming this erroneous opinion, you had of course forgotten the core principle of critical thinking: blind, unquestioning faith in known charlatans.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 06:58 AM   #107
carlitos
"más divertido"

I highly recommend this book which is where I learned most of what I remember about Louis. A dual biography of Lewis and Jesse Owens, both of whom had some issues with both Nazis and their own government. I might have to re read this.

Goodreads link below - In Black and White: The Untold Story of Joe Louis and Jesse Owens

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lack_and_White
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 09:35 AM   #108
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Indeed.

Glenn Beck is person with a well known and extensive history of being a racist piece of crap, and an apologist for white supremacy.

When a person with such a history paints a picture of a famous occasion where a white man from Nazi Germany has just smashed a Black man from the US, particularly when it is well understood that the Nazis actually used that occasion to promote their vile theories of white racial purity, it is then entirely reasonable to conclude that the painter has done so for reasons more associated with his known history of racism and white supremacy, than some other noble story he is telling.

Though of course Max Schmeling was far from being a nazi with his hiding and saving the lives of jewish children from the nazis.

"In an article, published in History Today, two professors at the University of Rhode Island, Robert Wiesbord and Norbert Heterich, tell how Schmeling agreed to hide the two teenage sons of a Jewish friend of his, David Lewin, during the awful time of Krystallnacht, November 1938 when Nazi pogroms against the Jews reached new heights.

He kept the Lewin boys, Henry and Werner, in his apartment at the Excelsior Hotel in Berlin, leaving word at the desk that he was ill and no one was to visit him. Later, when the rage of hate died down a little bit, did Schmeling help them flee the country to safety. They escaped and came to the United States where one of them, Henri Lewin, became a prominent hotel owner. This episode remained under shrouds until 1989, when Henry Lewin invited Schmeling to Las Vegas to thank him for saving his life. To this day, Henri Lewin believes that he and his brother owe their lives to Max Schmeling and he is convinced that Schmeling himself could have died for his humanitarian gesture.

Hitler never forgave Schmeling for refusing to join the Nazi party, so he had him drafted into the Paratroops and sent him on suicide missions."

http://www.auschwitz.dk/schmeling.htm

The real life man was far from the Nazi hero he was portrayed to be. He also became good friends with Lewis.

Though the fame of the events is how other used it for the racial naratives.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 09:41 AM   #109
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I was reading that Beck actually painted this painting himself. Does anyone know if he frequently has his own artwork in camera view over his shoulder?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 11:45 AM   #110
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Contortion? You are the one desperately trying to find excuses to not believe Beck's explanation. First you claimed that the explanation couldn't be trusted because he only said it in response to criticism. But then that fell apart because time travel isn't a thing, so now it's basically just an argument from incredulity. You cannot even conceive of Beck doing something for nonracist reasons.

Its not a matter of trying to find excuses to not believe an explanation, its a matter of deciding what is more believable.

In this case, a media personalty who is well-known for his overt racism and support of white supremacists, paints a picture of a well known black boxer on the canvas after having been knocked down by a white boxer from Nazi Germany (fully knowing that the Nazis used that event to promote their racist Aryan propaganda) hangs the painting in full view if his mostly racist followers as he talks to them, because

a. It reminds him about some noble issue regarding never being down and out, or

b. he's dogwhistling his racism to the racists who watch his show.

For mine, Glenn Beck's history of racism speaks loudly to his motivations, and leads me to believe that "b" is the most the obvious correct answer.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 10th January 2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10th January 2022, 12:14 PM   #111
Checkmite

Contortion? You are the one desperately trying to find excuses to not believe Beck's explanation
How can that be possible when, as you so frequently point out, I wasn't even initially aware of Beck's explanation? "Didn't even try", you said, remember? Yet I found potential explanations, consistent with what is known about Beck. His own contrary explanation didn't enter the conversation until afterwards, and is unconvincing.

Oh, I see the problem. You think claims constitute evidence.

Last edited by Checkmite; 10th January 2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10th January 2022, 12:16 PM   #112
Delvo

Everybody knows that pictures/paintings of a black man having been beaten by a white man are standard decorative items in the homes of (alleged) racists. What could be more normal & ordinary than that? It makes perfect sense!

...Especially compared to another explanation that would just be an example of a common... oops, I mean totally rare & bizarre & unexplainable... theme in motivational posters, which was only posted in response to totally sensible & reasonable attacks that don't involve just making stuff up at all (and came along months later)!

!!!!!!1!!!
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 12:55 PM   #113
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What are you doing? Everyone know that critical thinking goes until someone declares themselves the winner. After that, there is nothing left to discuss.
Danth's law in action!

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 01:29 PM   #114
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't it weird that in boxing that gesture means "You're out!", but in baseball it means "You're safe!"?
Old 10th January 2022, 02:38 PM   #115
Venom
Philosopher

Forum discussions are so weird sometimes. I don't see much of anything in this. It's just like a motivational poster with historical significance.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 02:55 PM   #116
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Forum discussions are so weird sometimes. I don't see much of anything in this. It's just like a motivational poster with historical significance.
That's what a "dogwhistle" is: it's a message that's for one audience, and meant to pass as innocuously not-a-message-at-all to other audiences.
Old 10th January 2022, 04:12 PM   #117
Delvo

I don't think I've ever seen a single case of the non-literal use of the word "dog-whistle" where it wasn't really "an abbreviation for a cover-story people throw out when making groundless or false, and often just absurd, accusations about what somebody else allegedly says or does or thinks".
Old 10th January 2022, 04:13 PM   #118
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's what a "dogwhistle" is: it's a message that's for one audience, and meant to pass as innocuously not-a-message-at-all to other audiences.
eeeh nah.

I don't see it. Maybe as a message of the sort of old school rugged American spirit that rightwing viewers might be fond of.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 06:29 PM   #119
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Not if those explanations aren't accurate.
Every piece of actual evidence other than "Beck bad" points to that explanation being accurate. "Beck bad" is all you've got.

Quote:
And honestly, I'm tired of humoring that particular assertion already - frankly, the notion that Beck takes inspiration in the documented moment of a black man's defeat by a Nazi
He was a German, and the Nazis tried to exploit him, but he wasn't a Nazi.

This sort of careless smear is really your specialty, isn't it?

Quote:
because of something else that happened years later, a thing which is neither hinted at in the image itself nor in for instance a second piece of art designed to accompany the first, is Cirque de Soleil-class contortion.
Have you ever seen a painting of Jesus on the cross?

Did it ever occur to you that the story of what happens after that moment is relevant to the meaning of such paintings? Images of the crucifixion themselves typically provide no indication of what's to come. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, churches are full of such depictions not because they like the idea of killing Jesus, but because there's actually more to the story than that, and that it's actually OK to expect your audience to know what comes next?

Or, hell, just consider that trite inspirational poster of a kitten hanging from a branch, with the tag line "Hang in there!" Is that a celebration of felines in peril? No, it isn't. That's really not the point at all.

Quote:
You call it an "obvious" explanation - heh, okay, if you say so.
Yes, I do. It is obvious. So obvious it only took a moment to think of it, and low and behold, it's the same on Beck actually said was his motive. Which is pretty strong evidence that the interpretation is not, in fact, a stretch at all.

Quote:
Beck claims to take inspiration from Joe Louis's redemption, but Beck did not enshrine the moment of Louis's redemption
And Christians have long used the image of Jesus on the cross instead of Jesus resurrected. The moment of victory is the easy part. Humans don't need inspiration when we're on top. We need inspiration when we're at out lowest. And showing someone ELSE at their lowest, but who didn't STAY there, can be a lot more inspiring than showing someone who's got the world at their feet already.

Your understanding of art, and even of human nature, is pathetically shallow.
Old 10th January 2022, 06:31 PM   #120
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If this was a dog whistle, it was an accidental one. The only audience which is taking the image as racist are left wingers like Chris Hayes.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics