IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags glenn beck , racism charges

Reply
Old 10th January 2022, 06:38 PM   #121
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
How can that be possible when, as you so frequently point out, I wasn't even initially aware of Beck's explanation?
That's a description of what you're doing now, not what you did in the OP.

Quote:
"Didn't even try", you said, remember? Yet I found potential explanations, consistent with what is known about Beck.
You were spoon fed explanations that you swallowed uncritically because they suited your biases. You never tried to find anything other than confirming opinions.

Quote:
Oh, I see the problem. You think claims constitute evidence.
Claims by a person about their own motives are absolutely evidence of their motives.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 07:42 PM   #122
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,987
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Have you ever seen a painting of Jesus on the cross?... Images of the crucifixion themselves typically provide no indication of what's to come... Or, hell, just consider that trite inspirational poster of a kitten hanging from a branch, with the tag line "Hang in there!" Is that a celebration of felines in peril? No, it isn't... And Christians have long used the image of Jesus on the cross instead of Jesus resurrected. The moment of victory is the easy part. Humans don't need inspiration when we're on top. We need inspiration when we're at out lowest. And showing someone ELSE at their lowest, but who didn't STAY there, can be a lot more inspiring than showing someone who's got the world at their feet already.
I just did a few Google image searches with phrases like "get knocked down get back up", "lose the battle win the war", "bent not broken", "beaten not defeated", and "defeated not destroyed".

A lot of the results are just text in the form of an image, or an emotionally neutral image like a stock image of a coach who apparently said such a thing in the context of coaching. But the ones that actually show people in one half or the other of a comeback story overwhelmingly show the first part, the negative part. I think one of the above got one result showing a person who was at the positive finale of such a story instead, and one other got one result showing two people, with one picking the other up off the ground. Strangely, "fall down seven times stand up eight" did shift more toward positive-looking images, but only all the way up to about even. Overall, using the phrases I came up with, which I'm pretty sure covered the subject, this "down then up" concept is significantly more often depicted with an illustration of the "down" phase than with an illustration of the "up" phase.

All it would have taken to show that such a thing is real and does exist, and thus show that Checkmite is just flailing around for any excuse to confirm his/her bias, was one. It turned out to be by far most of them... as I'm sure everybody already knew and even Checkmite would have agreed with if (s)he didn't have a bias to confirm hanging on denying it. Bonus: the most common setting for such images is sports, and the most common sport for such images is boxing. That's actually something I didn't know before doing it.

Last edited by Delvo; 10th January 2022 at 07:43 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 08:15 PM   #123
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,381
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Every piece of actual evidence other than "Beck bad" points to that explanation being accurate. "Beck bad" is all you've got.
You haven't posted one piece of "actual evidence", let alone enough to be able to use the word "every".

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
He was a German, and the Nazis tried to exploit him, but he wasn't a Nazi.

This sort of careless smear is really your specialty, isn't it?
Right, we know that in the years following this moment Schmeling progressively fell out with the Nazis, due to increasingly diverging values. But at this moment - the moment this image records - he was the darling of Nazi Germany. He told the press with his own voice that the Fuehrer's confidence gave him the strength to win that particular fight. So nah, it's not a "smear". The man represented Nazi Germany when he fought. You're hair-splitting again.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Have you ever seen a painting of Jesus on the cross?

Did it ever occur to you that the story of what happens after that moment is relevant to the meaning of such paintings? Images of the crucifixion themselves typically provide no indication of what's to come. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, churches are full of such depictions not because they like the idea of killing Jesus, but because there's actually more to the story than that, and that it's actually OK to expect your audience to know what comes next?
This isn't as good an example as you think it is. For one thing Jesus's resurrection wasn't a redemption story; but more specifically than that, the crucifixion isn't important because of what happened after it.

Within the canon of Christian belief, the crucifixion IS the centrally-important part of the story of Jesus. Jesus was resurrected later of course - son of God and all that - and I'm not saying that is of negligible importance to Christians; but it was during the moment of the crucifixion that Jesus accomplished the "work" he was supposedly intended to do, which was the assumption of sins and thus the redemption of mankind. The crucifixion is not simply a stepping stone on the path to a great triumph, like Louis's defeat is in his story. The crucifixion does actually represent the moment of God's, and by extension humanity's, triumph over Satan. It's understandable to miss that if you're not familiar enough with Christianity's belief system because it is complex and convoluted to say the least; but that image of Jesus on the cross, to Christians, IS the winning moment, not a "the best is yet to come" moment.

But this is becoming a topic digression. Bottom line, as a result of unfamiliarity with the context your chosen example doesn't make the argument you want it to.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 08:36 PM   #124
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This isn't as good an example as you think it is. For one thing Jesus's resurrection wasn't a redemption story; but more specifically than that, the crucifixion isn't important because of what happened after it.

Within the canon of Christian belief, the crucifixion IS the centrally-important part of the story of Jesus. Jesus was resurrected later of course - son of God and all that - and I'm not saying that is of negligible importance to Christians; but it was during the moment of the crucifixion that Jesus accomplished the "work" he was supposedly intended to do, which was the assumption of sins and thus the redemption of mankind.
None of that is apparent in the depiction of Jesus on the cross. All of this you have to already know.

You're claiming that it's some weird thing to use imagery to convey meaning which depends on knowledge outside the image itself. And that's plainly false. It's a totally normal thing in art. Hell, even your own interpretation requires knowledge from outside the image itself.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 09:04 PM   #125
Venom
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 5,440
This thread is like insinuating that there's something anti-Semitic about displaying Jesus on the cross. It sure can be interpreted that way, but that's no indication that it is meant that way and in all likelihood isn't.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 01:14 AM   #126
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 23,265
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You haven't posted one piece of "actual evidence", let alone enough to be able to use the word "every".



Right, we know that in the years following this moment Schmeling progressively fell out with the Nazis, due to increasingly diverging values. But at this moment - the moment this image records - he was the darling of Nazi Germany. He told the press with his own voice that the Fuehrer's confidence gave him the strength to win that particular fight. So nah, it's not a "smear". The man represented Nazi Germany when he fought. You're hair-splitting again.



This isn't as good an example as you think it is. For one thing Jesus's resurrection wasn't a redemption story; but more specifically than that, the crucifixion isn't important because of what happened after it.

Within the canon of Christian belief, the crucifixion IS the centrally-important part of the story of Jesus. Jesus was resurrected later of course - son of God and all that - and I'm not saying that is of negligible importance to Christians; but it was during the moment of the crucifixion that Jesus accomplished the "work" he was supposedly intended to do, which was the assumption of sins and thus the redemption of mankind. The crucifixion is not simply a stepping stone on the path to a great triumph, like Louis's defeat is in his story. The crucifixion does actually represent the moment of God's, and by extension humanity's, triumph over Satan. It's understandable to miss that if you're not familiar enough with Christianity's belief system because it is complex and convoluted to say the least; but that image of Jesus on the cross, to Christians, IS the winning moment, not a "the best is yet to come" moment.

But this is becoming a topic digression. Bottom line, as a result of unfamiliarity with the context your chosen example doesn't make the argument you want it to.
Excellent point. According to Christianity, it's Jesus' death on the cross that is the moment he takes mankind's sins on himself, not his resurrection. Zig missed the point on that one.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 01:23 AM   #127
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 23,265
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
None of that is apparent in the depiction of Jesus on the cross. All of this you have to already know.
"Redemption" is not apparent in the depiction of Louis defeated by Schmeling, either, unless you already know of his later victory over Schmeling.

Quote:
You're claiming that it's some weird thing to use imagery to convey meaning which depends on knowledge outside the image itself. And that's plainly false. It's a totally normal thing in art. Hell, even your own interpretation requires knowledge from outside the image itself.
No, he not doing that at all. He's pointing out , quite rightly, that your comparison of the Louis picture and Jesus on the Cross is just not accurate. The former requires knowledge of a future event to have any possible meaning of 'redemption' while the latter represents the moment of what is being represented.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 03:25 AM   #128
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 20,182
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
"Redemption" is not apparent in the depiction of Louis defeated by Schmeling, either, unless you already know of his later victory over Schmeling.n' while the latter represents the moment of what is being represented.
Additionally, we also already know that Beck is a racist and an apologist for white supremacy. Knowledge of that fact informs both our thinking and our assessment of his possible motives.

As I said earlier, which I will repeat now since Ziggurat studiously avoided responding to it (unable to I guess)...
"Its not a matter of trying to find excuses to not believe an explanation, its a matter of deciding what is more believable.

In this case, a media personalty who is well-known for his overt racism and support of white supremacists, paints a picture of a well known black boxer on the canvas after having been knocked down by a white boxer from Nazi Germany (fully knowing that the Nazis used that event to promote their racist Aryan propaganda) hangs the painting in full view if his mostly racist followers as he talks to them, because

a. It reminds him about some noble issue regarding never being down and out, or

b. he's dog-whistling his racism to the racists who watch his show.

For mine, Glenn Beck's history of racism speaks loudly to his motivations, and leads me to believe that "b" is the most the obvious correct answer"

Simply put, I do not believe Beck's story... I believe its a made up bull-**** story to cover his racist dog-whistling arse.
.
.
__________________
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th January 2022 at 04:14 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 03:26 AM   #129
Warp12
Illuminator
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,710
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Simply put, I do not believe Beck's story... I believe its a made up bull-**** story to cover his racist dog-whistling arse.
What a pointless debate. "My confirmation bias trumps the lack of any real evidence to support my claim".

This place can do better.
__________________
"A culture is only as great as its dreams, and its dreams are dreamed by artists." - L. Ron Hubbard

Last edited by Warp12; 11th January 2022 at 03:28 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 03:31 AM   #130
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 48,659
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's what a "dogwhistle" is: it's a message that's for one audience, and meant to pass as innocuously not-a-message-at-all to other audiences.
Nail hit on head.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 03:35 AM   #131
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 48,659
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
What a pointless debate. "My confirmation bias trumps the lack of any real evidence to support my claim".

This place can do better.
Given an overt racist like Beck the benefit of the doubt is bloody hilarious.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 03:57 AM   #132
Warp12
Illuminator
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,710
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Given an overt racist like Beck the benefit of the doubt is bloody hilarious.
I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I am just pointing out how stupid it is to continuously debate such things, when there is no evidence to support a concrete conclusion.

It is not a serious debate, it is a bloviated opinion piece.
__________________
"A culture is only as great as its dreams, and its dreams are dreamed by artists." - L. Ron Hubbard
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 06:29 AM   #133
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
What a pointless debate. "My confirmation bias trumps the lack of any real evidence to support my claim".

This place can do better.
No, it cannot. This is par for the course.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 06:38 AM   #134
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
"Redemption" is not apparent in the depiction of Louis defeated by Schmeling, either, unless you already know of his later victory over Schmeling.
Absolutely true. But so what? Beck made sure his actual audience knew about that redemption. And if you don't know anything at all about the image of the story, you can't even tell from the picture that the boxer on the ground is even black. So it's a piss poor racist image in that respect.

Seriously, what's the theory here? Beck posts an image that many people won't have any clue about and so can't even read racist intent into, then provides a non-racist explanation for its meaning, because he wants people to read racism into it which isn't apparent in the image without the story but which will be apparent to people who know the story but choose to ignore key pieces of it? It makes no sense.

Again, the ONLY people who have read racist intent into this are left wingers.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 06:40 AM   #135
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 32,729
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No, it cannot. This is par for the course.
There is evidence that this place does great. I just don't think you want to see it.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 07:12 AM   #136
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,541
You know how in all those Rocky films, he usually loses a fight before he wins the fight at the end of the film?

Because it's supposed to be more inspiring that way. The fighter overcoming adversity to eventually come out on top. The movies would be boring if Rocky won every fight and never faced a serious challenge.

So, that's just the first thought I had. It's about overcoming adversity. It's about not quitting when you are down, but picking yourself back up and making a comeback. So that's the non-racist interpretation of that photo. It's supposed to be inspirational.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 07:18 AM   #137
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 51,876
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
You know how in all those Rocky films, he usually loses a fight before he wins the fight at the end of the film?

Because it's supposed to be more inspiring that way. The fighter overcoming adversity to eventually come out on top. The movies would be boring if Rocky won every fight and never faced a serious challenge.

So, that's just the first thought I had. It's about overcoming adversity. It's about not quitting when you are down, but picking yourself back up and making a comeback. So that's the non-racist interpretation of that photo. It's supposed to be inspirational.
And how many of the movies posters and such focused on when he was beaten and bloodied? , instead of triumphant at the end?(ignoring the first one where he loses of course)

It is a fairly weird to focus on the lowest point for inspirational images.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 07:34 AM   #138
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,541
Whatever, not worth arguing over. But I will briefly mention the concept of the principle of charity, which I personally like to use. Instead of assuming the worst possible motive, or worst possible interpretation of someone's words, consider the best possible interpretation, at least until proven otherwise. That makes it possible to have a civil discussion. Steven Novella, of the SGU advocates this principle, fwiw.

Attribution Error, Straw Men, and the Principle of Charity
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 07:47 AM   #139
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,539
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Whatever, not worth arguing over. But I will briefly mention the concept of the principle of charity, which I personally like to use. Instead of assuming the worst possible motive, or worst possible interpretation of someone's words, consider the best possible interpretation, at least until proven otherwise. That makes it possible to have a civil discussion. Steven Novella, of the SGU advocates this principle, fwiw.

Attribution Error, Straw Men, and the Principle of Charity
At some point it stops being charity and starts being welfare. Again, this is a guy who rubbed onions on his eyes to look tearfully upset on camera. He knows what optics are.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 07:57 AM   #140
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 17,121
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
You know how in all those Rocky films, he usually loses a fight before he wins the fight at the end of the film?
In the first Rocky, he even lost the final climactic fight to Apollo Creed by decision. Losing can indeed be inspirational.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 08:28 AM   #141
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 18,604
Hey, how about some spoiler alerts? Have some consideration for those of us who like to wait for the 50th anniversary edition before watching a movie.
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 08:45 AM   #142
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,541
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
In the first Rocky, he even lost the final climactic fight to Apollo Creed by decision. Losing can indeed be inspirational.
It's been so long since I saw that movie. I seem to recall that the "victory" was just going the distance? Not getting knocked out or "throwing in the towel" before the end of the fight?

(In real life, he would have suffered a traumatic brain injury I'm sure.)
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Last edited by Puppycow; 11th January 2022 at 08:46 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 09:12 AM   #143
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 17,121
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It's been so long since I saw that movie. I seem to recall that the "victory" was just going the distance? Not getting knocked out or "throwing in the towel" before the end of the fight?

(In real life, he would have suffered a traumatic brain injury I'm sure.)
I think it was more about an underestimated scrappy underdog exceeding all expectations through sheer will. Not the same message as the Joe Louis pic, but similar in that the simple bout victory is not always the meaningful win. Sometimes a hard defeat marks the beginning, not the end.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 02:06 PM   #144
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,381
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It's been so long since I saw that movie. I seem to recall that the "victory" was just going the distance? Not getting knocked out or "throwing in the towel" before the end of the fight?
That's correct. The night before the fight, Rocky tells Adrian that he has no hope of actually winning and doesn't care, he just wants to last a whole 15 rounds. After his technical loss, he shouts to his girlfriend triumphantly that "I did it!!!"; and even before the chaos starts Apollo says quietly to him that there will never be a rematch, and Rocky's reply is that he doesn't want one. Rocky is a story about redemption after a fashion; not redemption after losing a boxing match, but redemption after a life of being a jellyfish.

Unfortunately for the story, the movie was a huge success, so a sequel with a rematch had to happen anyway.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 11th January 2022 at 02:09 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 02:54 PM   #145
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,355
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
You know how in all those Rocky films, he usually loses a fight before he wins the fight at the end of the film?

Because it's supposed to be more inspiring that way. The fighter overcoming adversity to eventually come out on top. The movies would be boring if Rocky won every fight and never faced a serious challenge.

So, that's just the first thought I had. It's about overcoming adversity. It's about not quitting when you are down, but picking yourself back up and making a comeback. So that's the non-racist interpretation of that photo. It's supposed to be inspirational.
THat is standard for a lot of movies and stories;good guy loses to the bad guy first time out.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 04:29 PM   #146
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 23,265
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This isn't as good an example as you think it is. For one thing Jesus's resurrection wasn't a redemption story; but more specifically than that, the crucifixion isn't important because of what happened after it.

Within the canon of Christian belief, the crucifixion IS the centrally-important part of the story of Jesus. Jesus was resurrected later of course - son of God and all that - and I'm not saying that is of negligible importance to Christians; but it was during the moment of the crucifixion that Jesus accomplished the "work" he was supposedly intended to do, which was the assumption of sins and thus the redemption of mankind.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
None of that is apparent in the depiction of Jesus on the cross. All of this you have to already know.
"Redemption" is not apparent in the depiction of Louis defeated by Schmeling, either, unless you already know of his later victory over Schmeling.
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Absolutely true. But so what? Beck made sure his actual audience knew about that redemption. And if you don't know anything at all about the image of the story, you can't even tell from the picture that the boxer on the ground is even black. So it's a piss poor racist image in that respect.

So what, nothing. I was merely pointing out the fallacy in your statement which you thought important.

Anyone who knows anything about boxing, and even many of those like me who don't, know that iconic photograph and know that's Joe Louis on the mat.



Quote:
Again, the ONLY people who have read racist intent into this are left wingers.
That's quite the assertion not backed up by evidence. Do you think racists are publicly proclaiming what a great thing it was when a white guy knocked out the ******?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 08:12 PM   #147
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Anyone who knows anything about boxing, and even many of those like me who don't, know that iconic photograph and know that's Joe Louis on the mat.
And anyone who knows anything about boxing also knows what happened after.

Quote:
That's quite the assertion not backed up by evidence.
You have that exactly backwards. There is zero evidence that anyone on the right interpreted the image in a racist manner. Leftists have claimed it means something racist. That's the evidence we have. Occam's razor.

Quote:
Do you think racists are publicly proclaiming what a great thing it was when a white guy knocked out the ******?
Well, yes. Actual hard core racists do exactly that.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 08:37 PM   #148
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 20,182
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
...Occam's razor..
Yes, and what's more likely

That well-known, overt racist, and white supremacy apologist paints a picture of a well known black boxer on the canvas after having been knocked down by a white boxer from Nazi Germany (fully knowing that the Nazis used that event to promote their racist Aryan propaganda) hangs the painting in full view if his mostly racist followers as he talks to them, because

a. It reminds him about redemption, or

b. he's dog-whistling his racism to the racists who watch his show?.

I've emboldened the relevant salient points to help you with your analysis!

For mine, Occam's Razor indicates obvious racism is obvious!
__________________
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 09:00 PM   #149
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
b. he's dog-whistling his racism to the racists who watch his show?.
With sooper-sekret messages that for some reason only liberals seem to actually be able to detect.

If you can hear the whistle, you're the dog.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 09:10 PM   #150
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,055
On a positive note, this thread has convinced me to finally frame the Muhammad Ali letter and commemorative stamps that I have in my collection. I might even get a print of that “fury of Ali” poster to go near it. Right now, this sits above my work monitor:
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 10:37 PM   #151
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 20,182
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
With sooper-sekret messages that for some reason only liberals seem to actually be able to detect.
There's nothing sooper-sekret about the clear and obvious

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
If you can hear the whistle, you're the dog.
Liberals don't hear dog whstles, they see them...

The only people that hear the dog whistles are the dogs racists who are supposed to hear them!
__________________
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 10:46 PM   #152
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
There's nothing sooper-sekret about the clear and obvious
Then why aren't there any conservatives talking about how Beck stuck it to the black man with that painting? Fans don't keep secrets. Yet somehow all these racists not only understood that Beck didn't mean anything he said, but they also weren't allowed to say anything about it either, and they figured all this out without having to be told.

I thought racists were supposed to be stupid.

Furthermore, if Beck is as openly racist as you claim, why would he even bother with such a convoluted message? None of it makes any sense. It's all pretzel logic, trying to justify a foregone conclusion.

Quote:
Liberals don't hear dog whstles, they see them...

The only people that hear the dog whistles are the dogs racists who are supposed to hear them!
Bloody hell. "Hear" is just as metaphorical as "whistle". There is no actual whistle. And again, liberals are the ONLY people who have interpreted Beck's painting this way. Nobody else has.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 11th January 2022 at 10:48 PM.
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 12:18 AM   #153
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 23,265
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Absolutely true. But so what? Beck made sure his actual audience knew about that redemption. And if you don't know anything at all about the image of the story, you can't even tell from the picture that the boxer on the ground is even black. So it's a piss poor racist image in that respect.
Anyone who knows anything about boxing, and even many of those like me who don't, know that iconic photograph and know that's Joe Louis on the mat.
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And anyone who knows anything about boxing also knows what happened after.
But, that's not the point you were making, is it? In fact, you prefaced it with "And if you don't know anything at all about the image of the story, you can't even tell from the picture that the boxer on the ground is even black." So you contradicted yourself.
My point, which seems to have eluded you, was that most people would already know that so being able to tell if he's black or not isn't relevant.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Again, the ONLY people who have read racist intent into this are left wingers.
That's quite the assertion not backed up by evidence.
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You have that exactly backwards. There is zero evidence that anyone on the right interpreted the image in a racist manner. Leftists have claimed it means something racist. That's the evidence we have. Occam's razor.
You made the claim, not me; I don't have to present evidence. You do. And I've seen zero evidence from you that "the ONLY people who have read racist intent into this are left wingers."



Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you think racists are publicly proclaiming what a great thing it was when a white guy knocked out the ******?
Well, yes. Actual hard core racists do exactly that.
So let's see some of these actual hard core racists doing exactly that. And I'm not talking from decades ago. I'm talking about the last ten years or so.

You are long on claims and short on evidence backing them up.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 12:29 AM   #154
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 23,265
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Then why aren't there any conservatives talking about how Beck stuck it to the black man with that painting? Fans don't keep secrets. Yet somehow all these racists not only understood that Beck didn't mean anything he said, but they also weren't allowed to say anything about it either, and they figured all this out without having to be told.

I thought racists were supposed to be stupid.

Furthermore, if Beck is as openly racist as you claim, why would he even bother with such a convoluted message? None of it makes any sense. It's all pretzel logic, trying to justify a foregone conclusion.



Bloody hell. "Hear" is just as metaphorical as "whistle". There is no actual whistle. And again, liberals are the ONLY people who have interpreted Beck's painting this way. Nobody else has.
No one mentioned 'conservatives'; the word used was 'racists'. Not all conservatives are racists. John McCain was not a racist. Amy Coney Barrett isn't a racist. And not all racists are stupid, either. They're just racists. But overt racists tend to have their own little groups where they can chat freely among themselves without fear of repercussions because, believe it or not, being overtly racist publicly online tends to have a bit of a backlash.

By the way, just repeating that "liberals are the ONLY people who have interpreted Beck's painting this way. Nobody else has," doesn't make it any more true than repeating the Big Lie makes it true.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 12:47 AM   #155
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 20,182
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Then why aren't there any conservatives racists talking about how Beck stuck it to the black man with that painting?
FTFY

Because they're tone deaf?
__________________
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 12:55 AM   #156
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FTFY

Because they're tone deaf?
Beck's totally open and obvious racist dog whistle wasn't heard by any of the dogs?

That's what you're going with?

Bwahahahahahahaha!
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 12:56 AM   #157
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,987
That's even better than "Prove that the people right here in this thread wrote what they wrote right here in this thread!".
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 01:00 AM   #158
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,309
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And I've seen zero evidence from you that "the ONLY people who have read racist intent into this are left wingers."
That's the only people who have ever been referenced. Other than forum members, the only person anyone has even come up with claiming racism is Chris Hayes. That's it. Nobody else. We're at 1 and 0.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 01:09 AM   #159
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 23,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And I've seen zero evidence from you that "the ONLY people who have read racist intent into this are left wingers."
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's the only people who have ever been referenced. Other than forum members, the only person anyone has even come up with claiming racism is Chris Hayes. That's it. Nobody else. We're at 1 and 0.
Now you're moving the goalpost from 'ONLY left-wingers' to 'only those who have been referenced and Chris Hayes'. As if a racist in this forum would out him/herself by saying "Wow! I love that pic of a superior White man beating the crap out of that ******!" As I said earlier, racist tend to chat among themselves. They know what would happen if they spoke their minds in public. There's a reason the KKK wore hoods.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 02:21 AM   #160
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Now you're moving the goalpost from 'ONLY left-wingers' to 'only those who have been referenced and Chris Hayes'. As if a racist in this forum would out him/herself by saying "Wow! I love that pic of a superior White man beating the crap out of that ******!" As I said earlier, racist tend to chat among themselves. They know what would happen if they spoke their minds in public. There's a reason the KKK wore hoods.
People can be racist only if they admit they are racist to non racists!
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.