IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Is it time for Joe Biden to announce he won't run for reelection?
Yes. We need someone who WILL fight tooth and nail will all available weapons. 15 48.39%
Maybe, but let's wait awhile and see if he "cowboys up" 8 25.81%
No, I'm going down with the ship with him! 5 16.13%
Planet X Option for GQP posters who kiss Trump's ass. 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th January 2022, 09:30 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Is it time for Joe Biden to announce he won't run for reelection?

Joe Biden, along with most top Democrats, has proven that he is a pussy. They will not fight for the American people. They will sit around and fight with each other and do nothing while the GQP takes over and never relinquishes power.

There is one thing that gets you elected President: Charisma. Joe Biden has the charisma of a rubber chicken. He only got elected because Trump was so widely hated. This won't work for him in 2024. You've got to win reelection on your own merits. Joe can't do that.

It's time for him to step aside and let other Democrats step forward and make their case. But most of them are also wet noodles. There's only one well-known Democrat who has the charisma to inspire voters, and has the ability to fight instead of rolling over and playing dead.

That Democrat is Stacy Abrams. Joe, get out of the way and save America.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:33 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'd prefer Stacy to win Georgia - again.

The Squad can take the White House.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:35 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think it's a bigger role of the dice risk then Shemp does, but I do think Biden setting up a predecessor now isn't a bad idea.

I think doing it now might set Biden up for 3 years of Lame Duck Presidency (Every Progressive: "So nothing with change, hardy-har" there I did it so nobody has to) though.

Are we just not considering Harris?
Old 13th January 2022, 09:36 AM   #4
shemp

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'd prefer Stacy to win Georgia - again.

The Squad can take the White House.
The Squad cannot take the White House, they are too far left for most Democratic center-left voters. No matter how much I may agree with them, they would cause millions of voters to stay home and not vote.

It's time to be pragmatic and save democracy.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:36 AM   #5
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not optimistic. Even if they cajole Joe into not running, I would assume they'd just get someone even worse.

I dunno, is HRC available? The last gasp of the Democratic party may as well be funny.

For real though, who do they have? Kamala isn't any better.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th January 2022 at 09:37 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:36 AM   #6
shemp

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think it's a bigger role of the dice risk then Shemp does, but I do think Biden setting up a predecessor now isn't a bad idea.

I think doing it now might set Biden up for 3 years of Lame Duck Presidency (Every Progressive: "So nothing with change, hardy-har" there I did it so nobody has to) though.

Wet noodle.

Old 13th January 2022, 09:38 AM   #7
shemp

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm not optimistic. Even if they cajole Joe into not running, I would assume they'd just get someone even worse.

I dunno, is HRC available? The last gasp of the Democratic party may as well be funny.
I saw an opinion piece the other day suggesting she should run. I would at this point support her over Biden if that was the choice. She has had the opportunity to learn from her mistakes.

Old 13th January 2022, 09:39 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The elephant (donkey?) in the room is Vice President Harris. It's generally assumed that the lame duck's VP will have first crack at the party's nomination in the next cycle.

If Biden abdicates his second term, that puts the prospect of President Harris front and center in everyone's minds. That may not be a prospect the DNC or Congressional Democrats want people thinking about right now.

Biden could try to settle the matter by endorsing Harris as his successor. Or by endorsing someone else. Either way, I think it gets pretty deep into can of worms territory, pretty quick. Endorsing Abrams with two years left to go in the term, and a Veep already waiting in the wings, is probably a good way to trigger a slapfight of epic proportions on that side of the aisle. Do you guys want a Democrat Trump? Because I'm pretty sure that's one way to get a Democrat Trump.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:39 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Could (Insert candidate here) run with Biden as their VP?

I mean like on a Constitutional level, not whether or not it's a good idea.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:41 AM   #10
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Do you guys want a Democrat Trump? Because I'm pretty sure that's one way to get a Democrat Trump.
What does this mean?

If it means a candidate that the party is actually enthusiastic about, even fanatically so, then yeah, that sounds great. Someone so popular that the rest of the party is terrified of getting in the way lest they face the wrath of the base. Sign me up, anything to get the party actually governing again.

The party is totally ossified. It's a battle of the dead-eyed geezers over there.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th January 2022 at 09:42 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:41 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think considering Harris is a big part of the Democrats' presidential nomination calculus these days.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:42 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Someone trying to hard run deep into politics not only not having a party but by openly opposing the idea of them seems both inevitable and totally impossible in equal measures more and more each day.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:45 AM   #13
ahhell
Illuminator

Could (Insert candidate here) run with Biden as their VP?

I mean like on a Constitutional level, not whether or not it's a good idea.
Yes, won't happen but there's nothing preventing it in the constitution. A two term president couldn't run as a VP though. VP has the same requirements as the president.

Sure, set up successor but he can't announce that he isn't running. He'd immediately become a lame duck and set off a competition among the ambitious dems for the nomination. If you think he's useless now, just wait for that.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:46 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Some people want him useless, that's the point.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:49 AM   #15
Warp12
Illuminator

I support Biden for 2024. If not him, please be Harris.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:50 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Sure, set up successor but he can't announce that he isn't running. He'd immediately become a lame duck and set off a competition among the ambitious dems for the nomination. If you think he's useless now, just wait for that.
I'm pretty sure the ambitious dems (and all the other dems) already see it that way. Biden doesn't have to hang a lame duck sign around his neck when the writing is already on the wall. The ambitious dems would have to be colossal idiots even by politician standards to not already be jockeying for succession.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:50 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Are people actually pretending that Biden's insinuation he wouldn't run for a 2nd term was sincere?

People who want to be president don't just walk away from it voluntarily. Unless he is too unhealthy to run again, he's staying put. Down with the ship, with all of us with him.

The question is whether his popularity is so poor that other ambitious dems feel it's worth risking openly challenging him in a primary run.
Old 13th January 2022, 09:51 AM   #18
Chanakya

One would love to. It would be wonderful if times were such that one could. But does really one have the luxury of that breadth of vision and choice at this particular point in time? (I myself don't think considering her is any great "breadth of vision" or any such ****, and really, one shouldn't have to think of it that way in a sane world, but the world isn't exactly sane, is it?)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:53 AM   #19
shemp

Are people actually pretending that Biden's insinuation he wouldn't run for a 2nd term was sincere?

People who want to be president don't just walk away from it voluntarily. Unless he is too unhealthy to run again, he's staying put. Down with the ship, with all of us with him.

The question is whether his popularity is so poor that other ambitious dems feel it's worth risking openly challenging him in a primary run.
The last one who did that was Calvin Coolidge. LBJ did it but the polls were all against him and he had no chance of reelection. Biden may end up in that same boat.

Old 13th January 2022, 09:59 AM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think they're hoping that whether it's sincere or not, it's true.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:02 AM   #21
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I think they're hoping that whether it's sincere or not, it's true.
Well, if they want it to happen they need to make their "get the **** out Biden" stance a bit more clear imo. Hoping he steps down out of some selflessness would be foolish.

Let's go Brandon, not just for CHUDs anymore?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th January 2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:05 AM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- The last thing the Dems need is a nasty, mud slinging primary leading into 2024 so no matter the behind the scenes, they have to all eat their egos enough to at least present it as a civil decision they all made.

- I'd vote for a Stacey Abrams / Pete Buttigieg ticket in a heartbeat.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:07 AM   #23
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

- The last thing the Dems need is a nasty, mud slinging primary leading into 2024 so no matter the behind the scenes, they have to all eat their egos enough to at least present it as a civil decision they all made.

- I'd vote for a Stacey Abrams / Pete Buttigieg ticket in a heartbeat.
Not sure I'd feel so great about a ticket made up by people who never won a large election, but I'm hard pressed to see any prominent dems that are really any better.

Abrams is famous for losing Georgia and Buttigieg was once the mayor of a small city. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th January 2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:08 AM   #24
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Did Biden even insinuate that? All reports I can find are "people who talk to Biden say he has signaled ..."
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:10 AM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Not sure I'd feel so great about a ticket made up by people who never won a federal election, but I'm hard pressed to see any prominent dems that are really any better.
Well that's the point. And no I am not trying to just start the same argument between you and me yet again.

The problem with Progressives is their entity identity is based on not being part of the system but keep throwing their weight behind people like Sanders who are career politicians as much as part of the system as any other Democrat or Republican. Which leads to that "I'm in the same breath calling the party dead and dying and out of touch AND whining that I'm not a bigger part of it, why won't you let me in your club you're so mean" message that pisses me off about Progressives so often. You can't really go "I demand to the Democrat Party Candidate because the Democrat Party is so broken, wait why is everyone booing me?" You can't declare something effed up and in the same breath demand a bigger percentage of its effed uppedness.

If you're gonna sell yourself as an outsider you have to actually be an outsider or it just comes across as a con.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th January 2022 at 10:12 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:11 AM   #26
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Did Biden even insinuate that? All reports I can find are "people who talk to Biden say he has signaled ..."
About the only thing I've actually heard him say is that he'd run in 2024 if he were healthy. Which might set him up to say that, in 2024 when he's 205 years old, he might not be healthy enough to handle another term.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:11 AM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if they want it to happen they need to make their "get the **** out Biden" stance a bit more clear imo. Hoping he steps down out of some selflessness would be foolish.

Let's go Brandon, not just for CHUDs anymore?
"That's my secret, Cap: It was never just for CHUDs."

-Bruce "Brandon" Banner, probably
Old 13th January 2022, 10:12 AM   #28
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

By the time the election actually rolls around some new and younger person will have been Speaker of the House and/or Minority Leader for a few years.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:12 AM   #29
plague311
Great minds think...

"That's my secret, Cap: It was never just for CHUDs."

-Bruce "Brandon" Banner, probably
CHUDs sounds like a chocolate Christmas candy.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:16 AM   #30
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

By the time the election actually rolls around some new and younger person will have been Speaker of the House and/or Minority Leader for a few years.
Did I miss something? Is Nancy retiring?

Dianne Feinstein is getting wheeled into the Senate everyday and drooling all over herself and plans to run for another term. These geriatrics don't know how to ride off into the sunset.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:16 AM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...er-pelosi-exit
Old 13th January 2022, 10:18 AM   #32
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't realize we vote for actual candidates anymore. That's sooooooo 20th century.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:19 AM   #33
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The last one who did that was Calvin Coolidge.
Oooh, that sound good. I'd vote for the decayed corpse of Calvin Coolidge. "Americans Fancy Necromancy: Coolidge Corpse 2024!" #CoolCorpse #ResidentEvilPresident #JCPenneySale #CommanderInCrypt
Old 13th January 2022, 10:21 AM   #34
ahhell
Illuminator

Not sure I'd feel so great about a ticket made up by people who never won a large election, but I'm hard pressed to see any prominent dems that are really any better.

Abrams is famous for losing Georgia and Buttigieg was once the mayor of a small city. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.
That's the issue isn't it. There really aren't any credible Dem candidates with name recognition. Maybe HRC.

Harris has the charisma of a wet sock and is mostly famous for being one of the first drop outs in the last race.

Buttigeg, is charismatic but well, he's mayor Pete.

As you say, Abrams is most famous for losing. I don't know much more about her. I won't rule her out though, she's got two years to change that impression.

Edit to add, there's no point in talking about the GOP. That's up to Trump. I could maybe vote for Dan Crenshaw but I can't think of anyone else.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th January 2022 at 10:22 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:25 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I liked Elizabeth Warren last time but now I've come to believe that America is literally too stupid for her to lead. We have morons trying to get themselves killed from a preventable disease (a new one, not any of the other ones), and all that January 6 denialism is just another bubo of stupid. Warren as president would be like putting Captain Picard in charge of the Fashion Club from Daria.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:26 AM   #36
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well everything does hit the brick wall of "~40% of Americans have up and decided to be stupid on purpose."

That's why everything is so risky. Nobody knows how a bunch of trolling idiots operating against their own self interest are going to react.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 13th January 2022 at 10:35 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:26 AM   #37
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

That's the issue isn't it. There really aren't any credible Dem candidates with name recognition. Maybe HRC.

Harris has the charisma of a wet sock and is mostly famous for being one of the first drop outs in the last race.

As you say, Abrams is most famous for losing. I don't know much more about her. I won't rule her out though, she's got two years to change that impression.

Edit to add, there's no point in talking about the GOP. That's up to Trump. I could maybe vote for Dan Crenshaw but I can't think of anyone else.
The Democratic party really has a talent problem. They just haven't been developing the newer generation they way they need to. Probably in part because the current crop of leadership haven't really been interested in slowly handing over power.

It's not even a progressive-centrist thing, there's just not much young blood getting any game time in the party. The geriatrics in charge sat through the Obama fluke and just resumed right where they left off.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:29 AM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He's also the Secretary of Transportation who went on leave in the middle of a national supply chain crisis.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:30 AM   #39
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

This is expected to be her last year and she has said so herself. BTW I said "a few years", that's not right. It will be a year and some given when transitions actually take place.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:32 AM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Democratic party really has a talent problem. They just haven't been developing the newer generation they way they need to. Probably in part because the current crop of leadership haven't really been interested in slowly handing over power.

It's not even a progressive-centrist thing, there's just not much young blood getting any game time in the party. The geriatrics in charge sat through the Obama fluke and just resumed right where they left off.
Despite how much me and you consistently butt heads over this, I think there actually is a way to square the circle.

If you ask people "Do you support X or Y?" where X the roughly Republican position and Y the roughly Democratic way" the Y answer almost always. The majority, a strong majority in a lot of cases, like the Democratic politics.

They just don't like the Democrats. It's not politics, it's personality.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics