ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , lie detectors , polygraphs , urban legends

Old 29th December 2007, 09:09 AM   #1
mayday
Graduate Poster

The Experiment on 100 Professed Atheists

My friend I work with whose abusive husband was killed by a truck was talking about her church and I somehow brought up the subject of atheism.
She told me there was a study done on 100 people who claimed to be atheists. They hooked them up to a polygraph machine to see if they honestly believed there was no god and she told me over 80% failed. I didn't ask where she saw this because I was not there to be confrontational.

Does anyone know anything about this experiment?

Last edited by mayday; 29th December 2007 at 09:10 AM.
mayday is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Czarcasm
Muse

Using every search engine I have available, I have found nothing that even remotely matches this story. I suggest you tell your friend not to spread stories that have no basis in fact, even though they might make her feel self-righteous.
Old 29th December 2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.

In considering whether or not this story deserves even a moment of adult attention, you might bear in mind small matters like the distinctions between different flavors of atheism, and the effectiveness of polygraph machines. Gee, if only such things had been thoroughly discussed numerous times on a board you've been active on for years...
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.

Last edited by Quinn; 29th December 2007 at 09:25 AM.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 09:24 AM   #4
JoeEllison
Cuddly Like a Koala Bear

Sounds like another Lie for Jesus.
JoeEllison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Terry
Zeitgeist-impaired
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by mayday View Post
I strongly suspect that literally no-one knows anything about it, because there never was such an experiment. I'm just guessing though.
Terry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Reno
Inquisitor

Your friend who allegedly had an abusive husband doesn't.

"I am the danger." - Heisenberg

Last edited by Reno; 29th December 2007 at 09:33 AM.
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 09:32 AM   #7
bokonon
Illuminator

Hey, that reminds me of an experiment that I heard about with a pendulum swinger who was picking lotto numbers. She said that she'd post predictions and results once a week, so all the skeptics could see how amazing and accurate it was. 80% of the time, she failed to do so. Does anybody know anything about this experiment?

Last edited by bokonon; 29th December 2007 at 09:34 AM.
bokonon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 09:46 AM   #8
colin
Thinker

Is your friend a truck driver, perhaps?
Old 29th December 2007, 09:54 AM   #9
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

My friend I work with whose abusive husband was killed by a truck was talking about her church and I somehow brought up the subject of atheism.
She told me there was a study done on 100 people who claimed to be atheists. They hooked them up to a polygraph machine to see if they honestly believed there was no god and she told me over 80% failed. I didn't ask where she saw this because I was not there to be confrontational.

Why do you think polygraphs work?
Old 29th December 2007, 10:07 AM   #10
Moochie
Philosopher

I think applying this "experiment" to 100 random Christians might be fun.

M.

Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Aepervius
Philosopher

Funny, my friend I work with was talking about her church and I somehow brought the subject of religion. She told me there was a study done on 100 people who claimed to believe in God. They hooked them up to a polygraph machine to see if they honestly believed there was a real god and she told me over 80% failed. I didn't ask where she saw this because I was not there to be confrontational.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 10:15 AM   #12
mayday
Graduate Poster

I don't know where she heard this, but I would guess some cheesy sermon from some dorky pastor who made it up to awe people.

I think it's so humorous to watch people get their undies in a wad, though. You all start rolling around like the snake I pepper sprayed that got in my laundry room.
mayday is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 10:17 AM   #13
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know where she heard this, but I would guess some cheesy sermon from some dorky pastor who made it up to awe people.

I think it's so humorous to watch people get their undies in a wad, though. You all start rolling around like the snake I pepper sprayed that got in my laundry room.
Old 29th December 2007, 10:36 AM   #14
Kiosk
He Thinks He's People

It's true though, most atheists secretly believe in God. They just act like they don't, in order to rot in hell, rather than qualify for the afterlife of eternal bliss in God's infinite love which they all know actually exists.
Many of the medical profession are sceptical about my work. They point to my record of treatment of athlete's foot sufferers - 84 dead, 65 severely wounded, and 12 missing believed cured. But then, people laughed at Bob Hope. People laughed at my wife when she wrapped herself up in greaseproof paper and hopped into the Social Security office - but that doesn't mean that Pasteur was wrong.
Kiosk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 10:36 AM   #15
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
Debunking the methodology of an "experiment" which never happened?
Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 10:41 AM   #16
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Couldn't you just let the poor thing go?
Old 29th December 2007, 10:46 AM   #17
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Abdul Alhazred View Post
Debunking the methodology of an "experiment" which never happened?
Wait for it.
Old 29th December 2007, 10:50 AM   #18
Aepervius
Philosopher

From the tone of your post, I gather you did not like the serving of the same food you gave us, given to you back.

You see, we don't squirm. Because we know a few things more than you do (hint : it has to do with a non existent study, and the fact that polygraph don't really measure what you think they do). We are a bit like adult which tries to bring you on the correct way to handle logic, science, and evidence. From all the thread you started in the same genre, I would gather we failed utterly to teach you anything. If I had to qualify the type of evidence and story you bring us, I would use this "why soar with the eagle when you can wallow with the piggy tale ?".
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:11 AM   #19
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Jeez, people are really jumping on mayday here.

Is there some special reason that I am not aware of here? Why was the OP necessarily worth it?
Old 29th December 2007, 11:12 AM   #20
Pythra
Thinker

Ignoring any agenda mayday may have had in posting this, I found this article that alludes to some such study:

http://www.ankerberg.com/Articles/ap...s/AP0702W4.htm

Near the end of the article:

Quote:
...according to Senior Pastor Jess Moody of the First Baptist Church of Van Nuys, California, "Lie detector tests were administered to more than 25,000 people. One of the questions was, ‘Do you believe in God?’ In every case, when a person answered no, the lie detector said he was lying."
The reference in the footnotes admits that the study could not be confirmed.

Last edited by Pythra; 29th December 2007 at 11:17 AM.
Pythra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:14 AM   #21
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I was wondering how you'd get 100 atheists in one spot.....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:16 AM   #22
sinclairmcevoy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bokonon View Post
Hey, that reminds me of an experiment that I heard about with a pendulum swinger who was picking lotto numbers. She said that she'd post predictions and results once a week, so all the skeptics could see how amazing and accurate it was. 80% of the time, she failed to do so. Does anybody know anything about this experiment?
Ha!
Old 29th December 2007, 11:20 AM   #23
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post

Is there some special reason that I am not aware of here? Why was the OP necessarily worth it?
I take it ou haven't read any of MayDay's other threads...?
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:29 AM   #24
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

A quick google suggests this is basically an urban myth, spread around christian communities by word of mouth (and the internet). Every mention of it I found was someone saying that their friend told them, or their preacher said... etc. Nothing like an original source seemed to come up.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:32 AM   #25
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
I take it ou haven't read any of MayDay's other threads...?
I guess I haven't read enough, no.

I'm still curious about whether this study existed or not. From the evidence, it seems like there's good reason to be skeptical. Regardless of Mayday's agenda, I am still curious, and her original question was innocent enough.

I know people like to nip things in the bud around here, but is throwing the first punch in every thread really a good way to handle things?

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
A quick google suggests this is basically an urban myth, spread around christian communities by word of mouth (and the internet). Every mention of it I found was someone saying that their friend told them, or their preacher said... etc. Nothing like an original source seemed to come up.
Well, color me surprised.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 29th December 2007 at 11:33 AM.
Lonewulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:37 AM   #26
DJM
Muse

The best experiment would be to hook Mayday up to a polygraph.. I expect some very interesting results.
DJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:47 AM   #27
thatguywhojuggles
Resident Juggler

Quote:

Quote:
...according to Senior Pastor Jess Moody of the First Baptist Church of Van Nuys, California, "Lie detector tests were administered to more than 25,000 people. One of the questions was, ‘Do you believe in God?’ In every case, when a person answered no, the lie detector said he was lying."
Even if this was a real story. How many closet Atheists do you think can answer that question without having some emotional response (an emotional response that might read on a polygraph machine as "lying"). If someone was in front of me, and had me hooked up to a bunch of sensors and was asking me random questions and one of the questions to my surprise was "Do you believe in god?" I would probably be at least somewhat uncomfortable answering it considering such a high percentage of people in this country disagree with me.

I however am skeptical such a study was ever done.

Juggler-Artist-Atheist
My Portfolio/Resumé
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."
-- Seneca the Younger (4? B.C. - 65 A.D.)

"A lie goes half way around the world before the truth has a chance to get his pants on." - Winston Churchill.

Last edited by thatguywhojuggles; 29th December 2007 at 11:48 AM.
thatguywhojuggles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 11:59 AM   #28
JoeEllison
Cuddly Like a Koala Bear

So, you say something stupid, you get called out on it, and then you pretend that WE screwed up somehow? Jeez, we've never seen a troll like you before!
JoeEllison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 12:07 PM   #29
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Portrait Of A Woo-Woo
Old 29th December 2007, 12:07 PM   #30
Peter S.
Magician

...You all start rolling around like the snake I pepper sprayed that got in my laundry room.

Didn't have your stick handy, eh?
Peter S. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 12:18 PM   #31
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Is there some special reason that I am not aware of here?
Nothing special .. Stuff like this doesn't help though ..

Quote:
I think it's so humorous to watch people get their undies in a wad, though.

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 29th December 2007 at 12:19 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 12:27 PM   #32
Ladewig
Hipster alien

The part of the thread that I find most fascinating is that you believe posts 2 through 11 were examples of people getting their undies in a wad.

- - - - - -

The second most interesting thing is that you admit to having posted something that you do not believe is true in order to take pleasure from the emotional reactions of the forum members. Isn't that the precise dictionary definition of an internet troll?
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 12:27 PM   #33
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Originally Posted by Peter S. View Post
Didn't have your stick handy, eh?
Every day is Whacking Day for mayday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EccSS...eature=related

Last edited by calebprime; 29th December 2007 at 12:31 PM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 12:46 PM   #34
bokonon
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pythra View Post
Ignoring any agenda mayday may have had in posting this, I found this article that alludes to some such study:

Hmmm, I found this link which says the First Baptist Church of Van Nuys has now morphed into the "Shepherd of the Hills Church." I know where this one is. Maybe I'll drop by, and see if Pastor Moody can provide any further details. I don't trust lie detectors in general, but I'll bet it wouldn't register any distress for me answering that I didn't believe in God.

ETA: I just called the church, and their "office hours" are Monday thru Friday, 9-5. I tried their automated staff directory ("Spell out the first three letters of the last name" -- hmmm, "Moody" is '666'...), and it says there's nobody there by that name. The link I posted said he was considering retirement back in the 90s, so he's probably not there now. I'll try them again on Monday, and see if he's still alive. Maybe I can reach him by phone, even if he's no longer leading the church.

Last edited by bokonon; 29th December 2007 at 12:52 PM.
bokonon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 01:36 PM   #35
mayday
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
They only work on people with a conscience.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:39 PM   #36
mayday
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
From the tone of your post, I gather you did not like the serving of the same food you gave us, given to you back.

You see, we don't squirm. Because we know a few things more than you do (hint : it has to do with a non existent study, and the fact that polygraph don't really measure what you think they do). We are a bit like adult which tries to bring you on the correct way to handle logic, science, and evidence. From all the thread you started in the same genre, I would gather we failed utterly to teach you anything. If I had to qualify the type of evidence and story you bring us, I would use this "why soar with the eagle when you can wallow with the piggy tale ?".
If you knew what I knew about a few of the people who posted here you would know why I said that. In fact, what I said was directed at TWO people in particular.

I can dish it out and I can take it. Don't flatter yourself.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:41 PM   #37
mayday
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pythra View Post

Thank you. My friend is very trustworthy, I know she heard it somewhere.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:44 PM   #38
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

They only work on people with a conscience.
Which would kinda invalidate the idea of polygraphs.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:51 PM   #39
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

I wonder what the results of a polygraph test would be where they asked 100 men "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2007, 02:01 PM   #40
buzz lightyear
Muse

Spray that pepper sweetheart!

It might just wake these poor sods up.
buzz lightyear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal