ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
plumjam
Banned

How to change a key function on my keyboard?

the other day i spilled some liquid (no, not THAT kind of liquid) on my laptop keyboard... now the left-shift and delete keys don't work.

i'd like to change the caps lock key to left-shift, and the insert key to delete.

i've had a look about but can't find the way to do this, can anyone help?

i'm using windows xp

thanks in advance.
plumjam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Reality Believer
Muse

Here is a little utility that should do the trick:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
Old 14th January 2008, 08:48 PM   #3
plumjam
Banned

Originally Posted by Reality Believer View Post
Here is a little utility that should do the trick:
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
thanks a lot RB, I'll try that out
plumjam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Lensman
Graduate Poster

Get a new keyboard - they're cheap enough.
If the early bird catches the worm - shouldn't the worm have stayed in bed?
Lensman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2008, 12:26 PM   #5
JonnyFive
Insurance Underwriter of Doom

Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
Get a new keyboard - they're cheap enough.
He said it was a laptop keyboard, so I'm guessing the alternative is having it repaired in a shop somewhere.

Ex-defendant in Simpson v. Randi, et al.
JonnyFive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Lensman
Graduate Poster

Oops my mistake, but it is still possible to buy replacement laptop keyboards.

I've also seen folding (external) keyboards for laptops that plug into USB/PS2 ports, a friend of mine has got one that can be rolled up & stuffed in your pocket - they unfold/unroll to give you a full-size k/b with the same layout as a k/b for a desktop pc.
Lensman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2008, 12:38 PM   #7
JonnyFive
Insurance Underwriter of Doom

Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
Oops my mistake, but it is still possible to buy replacement laptop keyboards.

I've also seen folding (external) keyboards for laptops that plug into USB/PS2 ports, a friend of mine has got one that can be rolled up & stuffed in your pocket - they unfold/unroll to give you a full-size k/b with the same layout as a k/b for a desktop pc.
Is there anywhere you can buy a replacement keyboard for the actual keyboard on the laptop itself, rather than an external one? It seems like something that should be easy enough to replace.

Ex-defendant in Simpson v. Randi, et al.
JonnyFive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Lensman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JonnyFive View Post
Is there anywhere you can buy a replacement keyboard for the actual keyboard on the laptop itself, rather than an external one? It seems like something that should be easy enough to replace.
I've seen them on ebay, there are also the manufacturers themselves.

US Link

ebay.co.uk link

There's lots more around & about.
Old 1st February 2008, 11:58 AM   #9
shadron
Philosopher

If you have relatively soft water, remove it form the laptop and run it in your dishwasher with no chemicals on a warm setting. Allow to air-dry in a warm, dry location for a couple of days. use this as a last resort before replacing it.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet