ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags kevin barrett , ann althouse , university of wisconsin

Old 25th January 2008, 09:46 AM   #1
ElMondoHummus
0.25 short of being half-witted

UW Emeritus prof criticizes Ann Althouse's criticism of Kevin Barrett

For posting a blog entry discussing Kevin Barrett:

Quote:
If you reject a teaching job applicant because he believes a crazy conspiracy theory...

... have you discriminated against him because of his political viewpoint?
University of Wisconsin Law professor Ann Althouse gets an earful of criticism from emeritus professor Bill Willers.

Here's where the "conspiracy theory" angle comes in, since the absence of that would render this thread more suitable for a different forum, like Education or Politics: Rather than attempt some sort of character defense of Kevin Barrett, the professor instead chooses to defend the CT he believes in:

Quote:
Her assault on Mr. Barrett, in which she makes no effort to consider the countless facts backing the so-called Truth Movement, is shamefully flippant — her word choice of “truly nutty” — and unworthy of an academic intent on attacking another.

Without going into details easily found on the Internet, a considerable army of architects, engineers, physicists, logicians, commercial and military pilots, first responders, military figures all the way to general officer, and government personnel including FBI and CIA agents has amassed a solid case countering the official story. That army is all the greater for the addition of similar experts from countries all over the world.

Ignoring the obvious appeal to authority, Professor Willers' post quickly becomes as much an advocacy pitch for the CT as anything else. Clever marketing, that. Anyway, I bring it to everyone's attention here for these reasons:
  1. To stimulate commentary. Yet another claim of "architects, engineers, physicists, logicians, commercial and military pilots", yadda yadda has been made - a pretty transparent pitch towards PQ911, PF911T, AE911T, etc. - and while it's hardly cutting edge woo since we've all dealt with it so many times in the past, it's interesting to see someone bring the topic up in a new, external forum where presumably readers haven't seen the breadth of material we have here.
  2. Relative to "1", to see if anyone else wanted to leave comments on the BadgerHerald.com site.
  3. To demonstrate to bystanders and newbies that 9/11 fantasy tends to crop up in places we don't expect.
  4. Well, heck, because it's ultimately about Kevin Barrett. What about that man's public activities doesn't lend itself to commentary here?
Interesting note: One of Willers' charges is true: Althouse isn't really willing to get into intense debate about 9/11 fantasy. Her response to Willers is here. And she makes a point I actually don't agree with, but can understand entirely:

Quote:
Why would I debate about physics when I'm a law professor? Being "a professional" doesn't mean you're an expert in everything.

That's true, but it doesn't stop the commentary from the commentariat. Anyway, I don't think what she mentions is an absolute bar to debate - how many of us are politicians, for example? Does that stop us from debating politics (not necessarily here; I mean in the real world) - but at the same time I can understand how she doesn't want to get bogged down in such a detail-rich subject. At any rate, here's my contribution to today's reading. Enjoy!
Old 25th January 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
The Big Dog

Oh it is available on the Internet?

Professor Willers seems like a Full Bore Truther, subscribing to lies posted by idiots on the internet.

It is indeed ironic, though, that people waste their time on Barrett, the Robespierre of the Truth movement. A couple of choice quotes:

"journalists who act as propagandists for war crimes may one day find themselves on the scaffold," and "anybody who has drawn a paycheck from the major mainstream journalistic outlets in the past should be up on the scaffold for the crimes of high treason and crimes against humanity." Didn't he also say the same or similar thing to Gravy?

Why do these people bother with a delusional fan of Holocaust deniers?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

I don't think they're discriminating against him simply for believing in conspiracy theories, it probably has more to do with him proving himself too batpoop insane to be trusted teaching dogs how to roll over every time he opens his stupid mouth.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2008, 11:31 AM   #4
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Quote:
If you reject a teaching job applicant because he believes a crazy conspiracy theory...

... have you discriminated against him because of his political viewpoint?
i though the truth movement was apolitical? isnt that what they tell us?

makes me think of the episode of south park after isaac hayes left, when chef was in that club that believed anal sex with young boys was the key to eternal life

so if a member of the super adventure club wanted to be a grade school teacher would the truthers allow it, or discriminate against him based on his religion? lol
Old 25th January 2008, 01:37 PM   #5
ElMondoHummus

Good grief... lots of the same old, same old at the http://badgerherald.com/oped/2008/01...ly_display.php comments section.

Quote:
See their excellent film 9/11 Press for Truth for free at: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Then see the far more detailed Loose Change, which Vanity Fair said "might be the first internet blockbuster," also free at:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=4

If you understand the laws of physics or military protocols, it's easy to see the government's ever-changing stories don't hold water.
Quote:
All of you people are totally fine with 3 buildings symmetrically collapsing into dust at near-freefall speeds, molten metal found in all three basements (how does that get there, NIST did not even try to answer this), NORAD getting caught with their collective dicks in their hands for over 1.5 hours even though scrambling aircraft is a routine procedure done on average 60-100 times a year (response times between 10-30 min)? The list goes on and on and on. I am amazed at the lack of inquiry by this professor and those posting here.

This one had me considering posting a stundie nom for a minute:

Quote:
Dr. Kevin Barrett is a outstanding scholar, and so are many other prominent members of the 9/11 Truth community that has been attacked in this discussion...

I have only met Dr. Barrett a couple of times, but I got the impression that he only wants what is right for this country and for the students at Univ. of Wisconsin.

Yeah, like I said before: This is hardly cutting edge woo. But still... new forum, lots of unharvested minds for the fantasists to try and shape. Figures that so many of them would trot out the old classics to try and make an impression.
Old 25th January 2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Viper Daimao
Critical Thinker

I posted twice in the comments with some links to gravy sites, 9/11 myths and Barretts death threats.

I see some of you posting too, good job guys.

Last edited by Viper Daimao; 25th January 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Viper Daimao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2008, 01:56 PM   #7
StoneRook
Scholar

Read the discussion page on Barrett's wiki page....

yikes!
StoneRook is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2008, 04:53 PM   #8
ElMondoHummus

Originally Posted by Viper Daimao View Post
I posted twice in the comments with some links to gravy sites, 9/11 myths and Barretts death threats.

I see some of you posting too, good job guys.

Oh, that was you? Okay, cool.

Yeah, I'm sticking a bunch of other links there myself. Don't think I'll keep it up too long, but as long as the info is there, that's all that matters.
Old 25th January 2008, 05:03 PM   #9
tomwaits
Master Poster

I took his class and it was ok, I didn't really notice anything CRAZY about the guy, even though his insanity is well established. At the time I didn't think he should be fired because I didn't think it was a big deal. However, after seeing him make some horrendous statements like holocaust denial, hanging people who disagree, and saying that there was no such thing as islamic extremism (therefore there couldn't have been islamic hijackers! ) just shows the man has no place teaching religious studies. I know RS isn't considered the most respectable field in academia, but it does have a high standard of scholarship and the guy is a loon who doesn't deserve to be teaching anything.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2008, 11:03 PM   #10
JamesB
Master Poster

Not to mention an Islamic studies professor who considers Hamas and Hezbollah his heroes, that there is no such thing as Islamic terrorism, and that Wahabbis are pro-West.
I said lots of things in NPH that I would not say today and that I did not repeat in NPHR, where I specifically corrected at least some of the errors I had made in that earlier book, written 5 years ago.
-David Ray Griffin-
JamesB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories