IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st January 2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Skeptics in the Pub - ATLANTA!!!

That's right, folks, Atlanta is finally having its very own Skeptics in the Pub event!

Preparations are under way for DragonCon; in years past, the Skeptics panels have been so successful, that this year there's going to be an entire Skeptic programming track. Headlining the track is one James Randi, and we're also looking forward to participation from Michael Shermer, Phil Plait, and others.

At TAM 5.5, a number of us Southern skeptic-types talked it over and decided that a good way to celebrate the Skeptic Track would be to make DragonCon our very own mini-TAM; a TAM 6.25, if you will. We're hoping to get JREFers from all over the South (and maybe a few Yankees as well ) to come down and enjoy the festivities with us.

So for our first Skeptics in the Pub, Skeptic Track Director and Skepticality co-host Derek will be joining us to talk about the planning for DragonCon, and how we can get involved.

Saturday, February 23
3:30 p.m.
North Avenue Room
Manuel's Tavern
(at the corner of North and Highland Ave.)

There will be much rejoicing.

Last edited by Cleon; 31st January 2008 at 03:18 PM.
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2008, 07:27 AM   #2
ottle
Muse

There will be ottles present.

"There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist."
-- Terry Pratchett
ottle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
krelnik
Graduate Poster

I'll be there.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Radwaste
New Blood

Sad to say, I won't be able to meet you fine people on 2/23, but as I already have tickets to Dragoncon, I will be delighted to see you - and of course, the Amaz!ng Randi - there.

For those of you who haven't attended Dragoncon before, make sure you a) get tickets, online, early, b) read the online schedule and plan ahead, c) reserve a hotel room NOW, and d) prepare your schedule so you can see at least part of each gallery of artists and performers. Vendors and personalities have fixed hours, among which are peppered the presentations of people you must see, like Randi. ALL of the ballrooms and convention halls will be at capacity, so even though it's a short walk between them, it can be tough to get there for consecutive shows - especially with all the distractions in the halls (some professional costumers are regulars). All the regulars can help you out. One of the best things about the bunch that shows up is that no matter what you look like (so long as you've bathed), you're automatically greeted, and you can get directions and help from anyone. It's four days of continuous fun, if you can stand crowds.

Bring cash and credit. Some of the original artwork present goes for thousands of dollars, and just the t-shirt shops can strain your wallet.

40 thousand attended last year, with a peak of ~33K at one time. If I don't see you there, I'll say I did.
I have nothing new to say, but I can rearrange and expose things to get you to think about them. If you're looking for inspiration, you should look everywhere. A good place is http://www.cruxshadows.com/ .
Radwaste is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2008, 03:06 PM   #5
remirol
Senior Wrangler

Zog show up!
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2008, 10:53 AM   #6
juryjone
Refusing to be confused by facts

I'm not a DragonCon type of guy. However, I am a pub type of guy, so I will plan on attending the 23rd. We'll have to see how that goes, however.

Which allows me to plug the reason I might be doing something else that Saturday. I am woefully miscast as a romantic Italian movie star (due to my Nordic features) in a production of Sweet Charity, presented by Arcado Community Theater at Shiloh High School in Snellville on March 7 - 9. Nothing skeptical here, just good fun.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by juryjone View Post
I'm not a DragonCon type of guy. However, I am a pub type of guy, so I will plan on attending the 23rd. We'll have to see how that goes, however.

Which allows me to plug the reason I might be doing something else that Saturday. I am woefully miscast as a romantic Italian movie star (due to my Nordic features) in a production of Sweet Charity, presented by Arcado Community Theater at Shiloh High School in Snellville on March 7 - 9. Nothing skeptical here, just good fun.
We have to be out of there by 7:30, and I really don't see us going later than 6, so unless your show is a matinee you should be good to go.

(I do some community theater myself; we ought to talk sometime.)
Old 5th February 2008, 01:45 PM   #8
juryjone
Refusing to be confused by facts

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
We have to be out of there by 7:30, and I really don't see us going later than 6, so unless your show is a matinee you should be good to go.

(I do some community theater myself; we ought to talk sometime.)
The performance isn't until March 7-9; the 23rd may be used for set building.

With some luck I'll be there, and we can trade war stories. I'd like to get involved with other theaters in the area.
Old 13th February 2008, 01:11 PM   #9
KateHL
Graduate Poster

Shoot, this is coming up soon. I'll try to make it if I can since Atlanta is only 5 hours away. Are there any plans for Atlanta after this date if this goes well?
KateHL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by KateHW View Post
Shoot, this is coming up soon. I'll try to make it if I can since Atlanta is only 5 hours away. Are there any plans for Atlanta after this date if this goes well?
Not as yet, but we'll probably discuss future events there.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of this is going to be prepping for TAM 6.25 - aka DragonCon.
Old 21st February 2008, 10:27 AM   #11
ottle
Muse

This Weekend! Be There Or Be Octagonal!

"There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist."
-- Terry Pratchett
ottle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2008, 10:24 AM   #12
skepticality
Critical Thinker

Whoa...

This is now today!

See ya'll there!
skepticality is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2008, 01:49 PM   #13
chigh
New Blood

I hate that I missed this. Another one soon?
chigh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2008, 11:03 AM   #14
skepticality
Critical Thinker

We all agreed to try to do it once a month at the same location.

Cleon said he was going to try to book the room for us, so stay tuned...
skepticality is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2008, 09:43 AM   #15
Reager
Muse

Originally Posted by skepticality View Post
We all agreed to try to do it once a month at the same location.

Cleon said he was going to try to book the room for us, so stay tuned...
Rebecca is utilizing both Skeptics in the Pub and Drinking Skeptically for her event. The way I see it, although they are slightly different concepts, it's only good a good thing to build both brands. Let me know if you guys are interested in doing the same.
Reager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2008, 09:53 AM   #16
Cleon
King of the Pod People

"Brand name" is not something we're really looking at; we're just trying to have a regular get-together and talk Skeptic stuff.

I will be reserving the room as soon as I get a chance. Work's been kicking my butt, and I recently had a fairly significant medical scare, so things are a little busy right now.
Old 14th March 2008, 03:19 AM   #17
skepticality
Critical Thinker

Let me know when your butt gets un-kicked!
Old 27th March 2008, 08:09 AM   #18
sadluxation
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Reager View Post
Rebecca is utilizing both Skeptics in the Pub and Drinking Skeptically for her event. The way I see it, although they are slightly different concepts, it's only good a good thing to build both brands. Let me know if you guys are interested in doing the same.
Didn't know they were different brands. I thought they were both Skeptical get-togethers of the highest order.

Nothing is better than homoeopathy!
sadluxation is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2008, 08:37 AM   #19
Reager
Muse

Originally Posted by sadluxation View Post
...I thought they were both Skeptical get-togethers of the highest order.
Well that is certainly true!
Reager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2008, 08:40 AM   #20
Reager
Muse

Douple post.

Last edited by Reager; 27th March 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 27th March 2008, 08:50 AM   #21
Reager
Muse

Tripple post.

Last edited by Reager; 27th March 2008 at 08:53 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events