IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th March 2008, 07:44 AM   #1
CHF
Illuminator

Toronto truthers get told off at an anti-war rally

I can't help but feel sorry for anti-war activists. Just imagine....you're holding a rally in support of your cause, trying to make a difference....and along come the clueless dolts of the "truth" movement to crash the party because they think they're your de-facto ally.

This is a common tactic of the loons these days: latch on to other demonstrations in an attempt to pretend that they have friends.

Quite often this is not appreciated, as was the case last October when the Toronto chapter of the TM showed up at a small rally organized by the "war-resisters" movement. Those are the US soldiers who left the army (deserted, if you will) and are now seeking asylum in Canada.

I might not agree with every position of the anti-war crowd, but in this classic exchange they absolutely nail the kooks to the wall!

Remember: this video was shot, edited and posted by the truthers, so on some level they must think it made them look good.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

My favorite parts were at 3:45 when the war-resister himself weighs in on Loose Change, at 6:00 when the losers are told the difference between activism and just talking, and at 7:20 when the losers are told exactly what they are.

I suppose this ties in to the question I asked here: Why do the loons keep making these videos???

Is it to make us laugh? If so, mission accomplished.

CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by CHF View Post
I suppose this ties in to the question I asked here: Why do the loons keep making these videos???
These guys are like Jackass Lite. All the proudly embarrassing stupidity without the crotch damage.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
These guys are like Jackass Lite. All the proudly embarrassing stupidity without the crotch damage.
Or the paper cuts.

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 08:15 AM   #4
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
How many truthers are there in that clip? Those two whiny asshats and a guy who has a camera?
Old 5th March 2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Tolls
Philosopher

"Have your own demonstration and see if anyone comes."

hehehehehe.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Pardalis
Banned

I don't agree with the anti Afghanistan war proponents, but I must say that this is very encouraging that they don't allow these idiot twoofers to divert the attention away from their cause.

I have so much more respect for them now, that corpulent guy was pretty rational with them. Good for them.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 10:56 AM   #7
CHF
Illuminator

Originally Posted by timhau
How many truthers are there in that clip? Those two whiny asshats and a guy who has a camera?
Yup. Looks like 3-4 of them, which shows you why they crash the demonstrations of others.

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
"Have your own demonstration and see if anyone comes."

hehehehehe.
They've tried that. The biggest one I've seen had about 12 of them show up.
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 11:17 AM   #8
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

Wow, this is getting more and more interesting. Why don't these guys ever show up at the university? I practically live there, I'd love to chat with them...
I've accomplished more without film school than most people, such as yourself, will EVER accomplish. Period. Jealousy is a bitch, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but don't spew ******** like that and expect to not be corrected. This is why you were banned from my forums in the first place.
- Dylan Avery on the budget of his film.
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 11:41 AM   #9
CHF
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Silver Shadow View Post
Wow, this is getting more and more interesting. Why don't these guys ever show up at the university? I practically live there, I'd love to chat with them...
They'll probably be making fools of themselves somewhere in the downtown core next Tuesday (11th).

As for universities, I imagine they'd stay away. Heaven forbid, they might run into an engineer or something.
Old 5th March 2008, 12:47 PM   #10
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CHF View Post
They'll probably be making fools of themselves somewhere in the downtown core next Tuesday (11th).

As for universities, I imagine they'd stay away. Heaven forbid, they might run into an engineer or something.
I would expect them to show up at York if they wanted to be at a university (Little University of Toronto joke...)
I've accomplished more without film school than most people, such as yourself, will EVER accomplish. Period. Jealousy is a bitch, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but don't spew ******** like that and expect to not be corrected. This is why you were banned from my forums in the first place.
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I would expect them to show up at York if they wanted to be at a university (Little University of Toronto joke...)
I understand that they have visited Ryerson.

(a TO joke for those of us who live here)
Old 5th March 2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Walter Ego
Illuminator

Apparently the 9-11 'kooks' have been irritating the Toronto war resisters group for some time by horning in on their rallies.

Quote:
At every War Resister Support Campaign event I've attended - and, I'm told, at every peace rally and progressive event in Toronto - people from the local 9/11 Truth Movement are present. Normally, I would be inclined to think this was a good thing. 9/11 is the singular event from which so much that we object to has flowed, and there is so much we don't know about it. Links between what really happened leading up to the attacks and what is happening today are crucial to our understanding, and should be crucial to the peace movement.

However... what actually happens is not at all a good thing. The Toronto 9/11 Truth folks hold a huge banner reading "9/11 Was An Inside Job," which, in my opinion, is extremely off-putting. I don't know what their slogan is shorthand for, but its implication is, to put it mildly, not a good starting point.

And that's the least of it. There's one guy who shows up at every event. He holds a megaphone and walks around shouting "Nine-eleven Was An Inside Job" over and over. He does not engage in discussion; he only hides behind his megaphone and shouts. When asked to stop, he will often point his megaphone directly into someone's face and chant his slogan at them. He contributes nothing. He educates no one. The sole effect of his show, as far as I can see, is to turn people off the idea that there is anything substantial about the 9/11 Truth Movement.

Every movement has its share of kooks. I've been an activist for most of my life, and I've never been involved in a cause that didn't attract at least a few nuts. Some are people whose hearts are in the right place, but because of social ineptitude or control issues or who knows what, they are unable to participate in a group dynamic. Some don't even seem to have their hearts in the right place, and one can only wonder why they're there at all.

So the kooks are always there. But I've never seen a movement whose public face is the kooks themselves.

http://wmtc.blogspot.com/2008/01/911...struction.html
Walter Ego is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 09:11 PM   #13
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
So the kooks are always there. But I've never seen a movement whose public face is the kooks themselves.

That puts it about as succinctly as it gets.

Not that I ever get to Ottawa anymore but do these guys or a similar group ever show up at Carleton U.?
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 09:22 PM   #14
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

The thing about 9/11 truthers in Toronto is that they're at every big event. During the "Taste of the Danforth" weekend this past August, a group of truthers were holding a banner just outside the entrance from the subway station. There was only 3 or 4 of them, but as I went on down the street, there were a couple of people holding a "Google WTC 7" sign, to which I had quite the comical conversation with them...

That was one of them, about a month and a half after that, I was in Downtown near the Much/City/Chum building on Queen & Richmond, and there were some 9/11 truthers present standing nearby where the Foo Fighters were being interviewed. So overall, they go to anywhere where there's a presence of media of any type...
Old 5th March 2008, 09:50 PM   #15
Walter Ego
Illuminator

The thing about 9/11 truthers in Toronto is that they're at every big event. During the "Taste of the Danforth" weekend this past August, a group of truthers were holding a banner just outside the entrance from the subway station. There was only 3 or 4 of them, but as I went on down the street, there were a couple of people holding a "Google WTC 7" sign, to which I had quite the comical conversation with them...
Did they get you in their video?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The MO for this group seems to be to let somoene else draw a crowd then they show up and exploit it.
Walter Ego is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 09:51 PM   #16
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

They go seeking confrontation, and have the audacity to play the victim.

Disgusting.

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2008, 10:10 PM   #17
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Less than 400 views and they already disabled comments on the video, and nearly all the comments that were there were negative to the asshats.

And this thread is the #1 linking site to the video!
Old 5th March 2008, 10:12 PM   #18
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Walter Ego View Post
Did they get you in their video?

I AGREE

The MO for this group seems to be to let somoene else draw a crowd then they show up and exploit it.
Unless my name is Jack Layton, I wasn't caught on camera!

Quite surprised that there was even a video for this, but I had a chat with one fellow that was holding up a sign saying "Google WTC7" that day from that "movement" around dusk, when most of them had gone home and it went something like this:

Me: Are you saying that Google has an office in WTC 7?
Him: No, I'm saying that WTC7 was an inside job by the US government.
Me: So are you saying that the US government blew up WTC 7 (his hopes go up here, but then I add...), but with the help of Google?
Him: NO! Google had nothing to do with WTC7?
Me: Then why are you accusing a search engine of destroying a building?
Him: I'm not saying that Google destroyed WTC7, I'm saying the US government did...
Me: ...but with the help of Google, right?

That's the best of my recollection, and he just started walking away and not bothering to talk anymore. It's quite rare that you find a single truther, but I kind of exploited this one...

Last edited by The Silver Shadow; 5th March 2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:49 PM   #19
Davidlpf
Muse

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
Darn i need them out of the gene pool.
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 02:11 AM   #20
Cincinnatus
Banned

If they stalked me like that shouting with a bull horn in my ear; 9/11 was inside job, though I told them i'm not interested, someones getting punched in the face. Arrest me.

They really think they're neo.

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 6th March 2008 at 02:14 AM.
Cincinnatus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 02:28 AM   #21
eromitlab
Muse

Originally Posted by Davidlpf View Post
Darn i need them out of the gene pool.
They're already taking care of that by carrying themselves in a manner which repels the opposite sex.
Old 6th March 2008, 02:41 AM   #22
Davidlpf
Muse

Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
If they stalked me like that shouting with a bull horn in my ear; 9/11 was inside job, though I told them i'm not interested, someones getting punched in the face. Arrest me.

They really think they're neo.
Something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?tv=TmH-...eature=related
that is Buzz Aldrin hitting good old Bart Sibrel.
(do not know how to put youtube warning)

Last edited by Davidlpf; 6th March 2008 at 03:58 AM.
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 04:05 AM   #23
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Oh rats! Somebody must have gotten to them and told them what utter morons they looked like. the video has been pulled, apparently.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 05:47 AM   #24
padragan
Scholar

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Oh rats! Somebody must have gotten to them and told them what utter morons they looked like. the video has been pulled, apparently.
And when you say "pulled" you mean someone demolished the video using cables?
padragan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 05:55 AM   #25
MarkyX
Master Poster

Too funny. 9/11 Deniers are reduced to leeching.
Old 6th March 2008, 06:09 AM   #26
Wildy
Adelaidean

Quite surprised that there was even a video for this, but I had a chat with one fellow that was holding up a sign saying "Google WTC7" that day from that "movement" around dusk, when most of them had gone home and it went something like this:

Me: So are you saying that the US government blew up WTC 7 (his hopes go up here, but then I add...), but with the help of Google?
Him: I'm not saying that Google destroyed WTC7, I'm saying the US government did...

That's the best of my recollection, and he just started walking away and not bothering to talk anymore. It's quite rare that you find a single truther, but I kind of exploited this one...
They must be in on it. They've even covered their tracks.
Old 6th March 2008, 06:10 AM   #27
Alan G
Student

What was the earliest point in the video where they were told they were not welcome, cos they still hadn't got the message by the end of it.
Alan G is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 07:37 AM   #28
VespaGuy
Graduate Poster

A few comments:

In the very beginning the main truther continues to say "I just want to extend an invitation". Shouldn't he be asking for THEM to extend the invitation? It seems like strange wording... maybe I'm missing something.

About halfway through, it says "...the War Resistors continued to engage our members after the rally". To which I would ask, "What the [rule10] were the truthers stil ldoing there?" They were told over and over that the WRs didn't want any part of them, and yet they continued to stick around. Who was doing the engaging?

I have to admit that the Truthers are masters of this type of passive-aggresiveness. They continue to pretend to be innocent and play coy knowing full well they are being disruptive.
Old 6th March 2008, 07:37 AM   #29
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Excellent work! There will be a little extra in your NWO pay packet this month....Assuming you remember all your NWO vote fixing training, that is.
Old 6th March 2008, 07:38 AM   #30
VespaGuy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
What was the earliest point in the video where they were told they were not welcome, cos they still hadn't got the message by the end of it.
I believe it was some where around the 0:01 mark.
Old 6th March 2008, 07:47 AM   #31
VespaGuy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by [X] View Post
They go seeking confrontation, and have the audacity to play the victim.

Disgusting.
I agree.

I've always wanted to use a similar technique on them. I'd love to join their ranks (sport the t-shirt and all), grab a bullhorn and walk amongst them, shouting "We're all retarded", "We have no idea what we're talking about", "We are a disgrace".

Of course, when confronted by the truthers, you can just reply "It's a public street", or use any of the other comments truthers love to fall back on when they are confronting people.

(If I ever do this, I'll be sure to tape it)
Old 6th March 2008, 08:02 AM   #32
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by VespaGuy View Post
I agree.

I've always wanted to use a similar technique on them. I'd love to join their ranks (sport the t-shirt and all), grab a bullhorn and walk amongst them, shouting "We're all retarded", "We have no idea what we're talking about", "We are a disgrace".

Of course, when confronted by the truthers, you can just reply "It's a public street", or use any of the other comments truthers love to fall back on when they are confronting people.

(If I ever do this, I'll be sure to tape it)
The twoofers need this guy at one of their rallies:

"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 10:04 AM   #33
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Originally Posted by Davidlpf View Post
Something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?tv=TmH-...eature=related
that is Buzz Aldrin hitting good old Bart Sibrel.
(do not know how to put youtube warning)
Just giving you today's little forum tip:

To add a Youtube video directly to your post, you copy out the part of the url that is between the "=" and the "&". THen you put in the [yt][/yt] tags and put them inside there.

In your case, the code should be this:
[yt]TmH-N65R-lg[/yt]

And the end result should look like this:
I AGREE

So, there you are, a nice smackdown from Buzz Aldrin, right in the post.

(And in case you wonder, I used another code called "noparse" to make the other codes appear "raw".)

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 10:39 AM   #34
ktesibios
Worthless Aging Hippie

Silver Shadow, that's truly priceless. If you could work "is.. is he dead?" in somewhere, you would achieve perfection.

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
The link in the OP seems to be working for me.
Old 6th March 2008, 11:16 AM   #35
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that the guy on the bullhorn shouts the 'trooth' message but half the time when they talk to someone personally they bring up some other unrealted topic such as the N.A.Union.

That is certainly all they had to say to Jack Layton. For the benfit of those who do not know Canadian politics, Layton is a member of Parliament and the leader of the leftist, New Democratic Party (NDP) of Canada.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 03:27 PM   #36
Ateius
Thinker

Originally Posted by Hawk one View Post
So, there you are, a nice smackdown from Buzz Aldrin, right in the post.
"Did you get that on camera?"

Lowest scum in the room right there. Insult an man to his face until he strikes you and then play the victim.

And as to the OT - I imagine that police officer at the rally was wishing he had any pretext at all to throw those twoofers in a cell.
Ateius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2008, 07:57 PM   #37
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Excellent work! There will be a little extra in your NWO pay packet this month....Assuming you remember all your NWO vote fixing training, that is.
Originally Posted by ktesibios View Post
Silver Shadow, that's truly priceless. If you could work "is.. is he dead?" in somewhere, you would achieve perfection.
Thanks for the compliments, but this is the best of my recollection from that day, it was too long ago!
Old 6th March 2008, 08:41 PM   #38
MarkyX
Master Poster

Just watched a bit further, they reallllly hate Loose Change and Dylan.

That's funny stuff right there.
Old 6th March 2008, 11:05 PM   #39
CHF
Illuminator

For anyone in need of a laugh, the Toronto twoofers are planning to make fools of themselves this Sunday at Dundas Square.

Then on March 15 they plan on crashing another peace rally.
Old 7th March 2008, 01:27 AM   #40
Heynow
New Blood

Well in the video i can definitely see Canada turning into a police state but only if Toronto 911 truth movement becomes a political party.

Last edited by Heynow; 7th March 2008 at 01:37 AM.
Heynow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories