IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th December 2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Kryptos
Critical Thinker

Osama Bin Laden is dead

About six minutes into this video, from a Nov. 2 news program, Benazir Bhutto mentions "Omar Sheikh, the man who murdered Osama bin Laden". She's referring to Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh. Don't know if she misspoke or what.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...7/33/96/427038 - Bhutto said Omar Sheikh killed Bin Laden
Kryptos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Pardalis
Banned

The interviewer doesn't seem to have picked up on it either. Must be a mistake.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2007, 06:54 AM   #3
TimB1
Student

I assume she meant to say Daniel Pearl.
TimB1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Kryptos
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Lopakhin View Post
I assume she meant to say Daniel Pearl.
That would make sense. It's just strange that she never corrected herself, nor did David Frost.
Kryptos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Here's a shorter clip. The moment in question is at 2.15.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

She was in the middle of a very long and convoluted statement, and it seems they were both trying to focus on what she was getting at, so they let that comment slip by unnoticed.

That she meant Daniel Pearl and not Bin Laden makes more sense than what she did say.

Why and how in hell would Omar Sheikh kill Bin Laden?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2008, 07:43 PM   #6
MarkyX
Master Poster

If OBL was dead, we wouldn't hear it from just one Pakistani woman.

The news would've spread like wildfire in the Middle East.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:35 PM   #7
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

One would have to assume that she is in a position to really know this.

This likely was just been fourth-hand information that she believed, but which was wrong.
Old 5th January 2008, 02:43 AM   #8
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by MarkyX View Post
If OBL was dead, we wouldn't hear it from just one Pakistani woman.

Well, the NWO seems to have stopped her saying it...

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

OMG she was kiled by the CIA to cover up her words

http://www.opednews.com/articles/ope...w_too_much.htm

LOL

Last edited by Alferd_Packer; 9th January 2008 at 05:42 PM.
Alferd_Packer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 06:50 PM   #10
dbalsdon
Critical Thinker

Quote:
This guy's in prison, and has been for a few years. Is that right? Sorry for the stupid(ish) question, but i've got a truther who's claiming Bin Ladens dead and America is misleading everyone, and he's using the above video as evidence(of BL's death). Wanted to be sure of the answer of my question, before I posted a reply.

Last edited by dbalsdon; 22nd January 2008 at 06:51 PM.
dbalsdon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:00 PM   #11
cisco
Muse

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
OMG she was kiled by the CIA to cover up her words

http://www.opednews.com/articles/ope...w_too_much.htm

LOL
One of the comments at the bottom of that article:
Quote:
Oh, please!

Benazir Bhutto was far too intelligent, composed and articulate to misspeak, and we all know that Omar Sheikh did not murder Daniel Pearl. You are simply indulging in wishful thinking.
Where is the laughing dog?

A CTer accusing someone of wishful thinking!

I bet CTers think everyone on this list is a victim or participant (just pick one - it doesn't matter) in some vast conspiracy.
cisco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:01 PM   #12
cisco
Muse

Originally Posted by dbalsdon View Post
i've got a truther
Is that like having an STD?
cisco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:02 PM   #13
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

too articulate and composed to misspeak...lol

yes because the composed and articulate NEVER misspeak - That would defy the laws of physics...lol

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:03 PM   #14
dbalsdon
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Is that like having an STD?
lol
dbalsdon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by dbalsdon View Post
Quote:
This guy's in prison, and has been for a few years. Is that right? Sorry for the stupid(ish) question, but i've got a truther who's claiming Bin Ladens dead and America is misleading everyone, and he's using the above video as evidence(of BL's death). Wanted to be sure of the answer of my question, before I posted a reply.
Yes, that's right, he couldn't kill him because Sheikh has been in prison since February 12, 2002, and he wouldn't kill Bin Laden because (from Wikipedia):

Quote:
The Times describes Saeed Sheikh as "no ordinary terrorist but a man who has connections that reach high into Pakistan's military and intelligence elite and into the innermost circles of Osama Bin Laden and the al-Qaeda organization." According to ABC, Sheikh began working for Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence in 1993. By 1994 he was operating training camps in Afghanistan and had earned the title of bin Laden's "special son".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:33 PM   #16
dbalsdon
Critical Thinker

Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:49 PM   #17
Tweeter
Banned

Do you guys have any evidence that what she said was a mistake?
Speculating isnt allowed from what ive seen around here.
Tweeter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:51 PM   #18
Anti-sophist
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tweeter View Post
You have it backwards. The burden of proof lies with the claimant.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:01 PM   #19
tomwaits
Master Poster

Ignoring the burden of proof fallacy here...

Wouldn't Bhutto's quote be considered speculating?
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:05 PM   #20
dbalsdon
Critical Thinker

Quote:
October 2nd, 2007: http://www.boston.com/news/world/asi...nst_bin_laden/
Bhutto basically says she'll help America catch Bin Laden. To me, that implies she thinks/knows he is alive, at that time.

November 2nd 2007: The video above is released
Bhutto says he was killed by Omar Sheikh.

Since Omar Shiekh was in prison between October 2nd and November 2nd, it's damn near impossible that he killed Bin Laden. And as previously posted above, he is good freinds with him. No reason to kill him.

Last edited by dbalsdon; 22nd January 2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:05 PM   #21
Anti-sophist
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
Ignoring the burden of proof fallacy here...

Wouldn't Bhutto's quote be considered speculating?
I don't think you are ignoring the fallacy at all. You are explaining it perfectly.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:34 PM   #22
Slayhamlet
Master Poster

Do you have any evidence that Ms. Bhutto could have possibly known that a man who had been incarcerated since early 2002 killed Osama bin Ladin? Apparently she believed Osama was still alive a month previous to the interview, when she said she would cooperate with the American military to capture or kill him.
Slayhamlet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:21 AM   #23
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

A guy from Leytonstone, East London killing OBL?

I don't buy it.
Old 23rd January 2008, 05:39 AM   #24
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

I would imagine that anything OTHER than she misspoke would be speculation, considering the link Slayhamlet provided.
Old 23rd January 2008, 08:25 AM   #25
cisco
Muse

Has anyone interviewed the interviewer?

Surely if the truthers are correct he helped Dick Cheney eat the foundation of WTC7, thus initiating its collapse.
Old 20th March 2008, 10:15 AM   #26
JCM
Muse

Exclamation [Merged]Osama Bin Laden is Dead?

Osama Bin Laden was murdered according to Benazir Bhutto. He was murdered by Omar Shiek
I AGREE

The BBC apparently deleted the statement from the aired interview but Al-Jazeera got a hold of the original interview and aired it

Anyone believe this?

Last edited by JCM; 20th March 2008 at 10:21 AM.
JCM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:18 AM   #27
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Osama Bin Laden was murdered according to Benazir Bhutto. He was murdered by Omar Shiek
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UnychOXj9Tg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>
The BBC apparently deleted the statement from the aired interview but Al-Jazeera got a hold of the original interview and aired it

Anyone believe this?
Super link fail!!
Unsecured Coins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:21 AM   #28
JCM
Muse

Fix'd
lulz
JCM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:22 AM   #29
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I believe somebody told her Osama was dead and she believed it.

But she was in absolutely no position to know that he is dead.

If he were dead and if we could prove it, now would be the time for the USA to reveal that as it would help the President's buddy get elected in November - BIG TIME.

And yet they say nothing?

He's either still alive or we just don't know either.
Old 20th March 2008, 10:22 AM   #30
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Everytime I see this question come up I hear the following:

"Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
"
Old 20th March 2008, 10:24 AM   #31
TC329
Banned

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41576,00.html

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > WORLD > NATIONAL

Report: Bin Laden Already Dead

Wednesday, December 26, 2001
TC329 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:24 AM   #32
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
Everytime I see this question come up I hear the following:

"Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
"
I knew Tim Leary. He is really dead now.

Last edited by BenBurch; 20th March 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: bad keyboard on this backup computer
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:25 AM   #33
JCM
Muse

Quote:
But she was in absolutely no position to know that he is dead.
Geographically she was next door basically right? On ground intel couldn't have played a part in her claim?
Old 20th March 2008, 10:28 AM   #34
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Geographically she was next door basically right? On ground intel couldn't have played a part in her claim?
She was in exile. She returned to her country and was in danger for her life from the moment she arrived there. She had no freedom to move about, and had to depend on what those close to her told her. So... She could only repeat the hearsay she was told. She had no knowledge, just a belief.

Sorry, Charlie. This factoid won't become Starkist Tuna.

But it does stink like old fish.

Last edited by BenBurch; 20th March 2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: bad keyboard
BenBurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:28 AM   #35
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Omar Shiek was in jail at the time she must have been mistaken.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 20th March 2008 at 10:34 AM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:28 AM   #36
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by TC329 View Post
Because third-hand reports from single anonymous sources with obvious agendas are never unreliable.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 20th March 2008 at 10:29 AM.
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:35 AM   #37
JCM
Muse

What do ya'll think the reasoning was for the editing?
Official stance
"I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for what was an error of judgement and the confusion that this has caused."

Adam Batstone

Editor BBC News Website Audio Video

"I believe she did not intend to name 'Osama Bin Laden', rather she intended to say "Omar Sheikh, the man who murdered Daniel Pearl". Omar Sheikh was found guilty of the videotaped 2002 murder of the journalist. It's possible that she just had Bin Laden on her mind at that moment in the interview..."

"Under time pressure the item producer responsible for publishing the video edited out the comment with the intention of avoiding confusion. On reflection this was clearly a mistake and should not have happened. There was no intention on our part to distort the meaning of the interview, and we will endeavour to replace the edited version currently available via the BBC News website with the original interview as broadcast by Al-Jazeera."

"During the interview Ms Bhutto made an allegation that Osama Bin Laden had been murdered by Omar Sheikh. A claim which was unchallenged and so unexpected that it seemed most likely that she had mis-spoken."
Old 20th March 2008, 10:44 AM   #38
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

What do ya'll think the reasoning was for the editing?
Official stance
"I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for what was an error of judgement and the confusion that this has caused."

Adam Batstone

Editor BBC News Website Audio Video

"I believe she did not intend to name 'Osama Bin Laden', rather she intended to say "Omar Sheikh, the man who murdered Daniel Pearl". Omar Sheikh was found guilty of the videotaped 2002 murder of the journalist. It's possible that she just had Bin Laden on her mind at that moment in the interview..."

"Under time pressure the item producer responsible for publishing the video edited out the comment with the intention of avoiding confusion. On reflection this was clearly a mistake and should not have happened. There was no intention on our part to distort the meaning of the interview, and we will endeavour to replace the edited version currently available via the BBC News website with the original interview as broadcast by Al-Jazeera."

"During the interview Ms Bhutto made an allegation that Osama Bin Laden had been murdered by Omar Sheikh. A claim which was unchallenged and so unexpected that it seemed most likely that she had mis-spoken."
No sweat! Ask questions, be willing to except the answers.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:44 AM   #39
Swing Dangler
Graduate Poster

I guess you can't have a bogey man without the man. Then you just get a war for Kleenex's.
"I would imagine that if you took the top expert in that type of work and gave him the assignment of bringing these buildings down with explosives, I would bet that he could do it."-John SKilling-Head Structural Engineer WTC-1993 Seattle Times
Swing Dangler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2008, 10:46 AM   #40
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Swing Dangler View Post
I guess you can't have a bogey man without the man. Then you just get a war for Kleenex's.
??????????

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories