IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2008 events , Colorado events , photo thread , skepticamp

Old 22nd March 2008, 06:28 PM   #1
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Colorado Skepticamp 2008 Pictures

Today I attended the second annual Skepticamp in Castle Rock, Colorado. A big thanks should go out to Rich and Crystal for organizing, to the Castle Rock Library for the use of their meeting space, and to the JREF for giving money for lunch and for Skepticamp T-Shirts.

We have fascinating lectures on topics ranging from proposed legislation in Colorado to license naturopathic "doctors," therapeutic touch, skeptical activism, and a Skeptical Trivia Challenge hosted by yours truly.

Here are some snapshots of the event:

The crowd listens to an interesting lecture.

Skeptcamp organizer Rich

Co-organizer Crystal

The Dean of the Colorado Skeptical community--Reed.

Me--hosting the Skeptical Trivia Challenge

The room from behind.

Waiting in line for lunch.

Geoff gives a lecture

How therapeutic touch is done.

TsarBomba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Reed
Thinker

Great pics Rich! By my count we had turnout in excess of 50.

I'm working on a detailed recap of the days events and will let this thread know when it's up.

And 'dean' of Denver Skeptics? Bah, I'm more of a Svengali.

ps, I wonder if anyone can guess the identity of the fellow in the baseball cap in the back of the first picture? Or the identity of the young woman in bottom picture?
Reed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:17 AM   #3
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Great pics.

Originally Posted by Reed View Post
ps, I wonder if anyone can guess the identity of the fellow in the baseball cap in the back of the first picture?
I can't really see details very well, but, based on the cap alone... I'm guessing Phil Plait. I can't tell who the gal is.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post

... I'm guessing Phil Plait.
Ding, ding, ding. You are correct, sir.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin

Last edited by Dumb All Over; 23rd March 2008 at 06:03 AM.
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Jalbietz
Scholar

ps, I wonder if anyone can guess the identity of the fellow in the baseball cap in the back of the first picture? Or the identity of the young woman in bottom picture?
Am I disqualified from answering?

The event was a blast. Thanks to Rich, Reed, Crystal, Elaine, and everyone else who helped to put this together, and of course, thanks to Mr Randi and the JREF for sponsoring the event.

-Joe
Jalbietz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
Looks like a great event. But the big question on my mind is, did you play Werewolf?
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:50 AM   #7
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kochanski View Post
Looks like a great event. But the big question on my mind is, did you play Werewolf?
Werewolf?

There wolf.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Geek Goddess
Hot enough to melt 4" rebar

I guessed Phil and Elaine, but I see several people beat me to it!

I used to live about 5 miles from there - looks like a pretty decent turnout.

Jenny McCarthy - wacko
Geek Goddess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Reed
Thinker

Originally Posted by Kochanski View Post
We only had the place until 5pm and had to clear out. However werewolf is a popular activity at other barcamps.
Reed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Reed
Thinker

The first of the recaps published by Janiece Murphy at the Hot Chicks Dig Smart Men blog.

http://hotchicksdigsmartmen.blogspot...olorado-2.html
Old 23rd March 2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
Werewolf?

There wolf.
Why are you talking like that?

Anyway, what's the attraction of Castle Rock? That seems like a rather out-of-the way place (although it is easy accessible by I-25).

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Dumb All Over

Originally Posted by Geek Goddess View Post
I guessed Phil and Elaine.....
Bzzzz. Sorry, Elaine is not the correct answer. Please try again.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2008, 03:29 PM   #13
TsarBomba
One Damn Dirty Ape

Originally Posted by Brown View Post

Anyway, what's the attraction of Castle Rock? That seems like a rather out-of-the way place (although it is easy accessible by I-25).
Castle Rock has a brand new library building with an excellent conference facility, complete with a projector hanging from the ceiling, a kitchen, a secondary conference room, etc. Even better, it was free.
TsarBomba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2008, 10:20 AM   #14
Janiece
New Blood

This was my first Skeptical event, and I had a very good time. I'm looking forward to future events!
Janiece is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2008, 02:32 PM   #15
Reed
Thinker

Some recaps published today:

From Phil Plait: http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2...camp-thoughts/

From Me: http://skepchick.org/blog/?p=1162
Old 25th March 2008, 06:51 PM   #16
Geek Goddess

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Why are you talking like that?

Not so much out of the way, as it is the southern end of Denver - and accessible quickly from the Springs.

Jenny McCarthy - wacko
Geek Goddess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2008, 10:10 AM   #17
Ramboelmo
Scholar

I do believe that is Elaine on the left side of Dr. Plait and Reed is on his right.

We also Recorded the event. I will let you know when Video Becomes available and post links here.

Thanks Rich and others that attended!
Ramboelmo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2008, 11:50 AM   #18
Ramboelmo
Scholar

I do believe that is Elaine on the left side of Dr. Plait and Reed is on his right.

We also Recorded the event. I will let you know when Video Becomes available and post links here.

Thanks Rich and others that attended!

Sorry for the double entry please delete this as I can not.

Last edited by Ramboelmo; 31st March 2008 at 11:51 AM.
Ramboelmo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:39 PM   #19
Dumb All Over

Or the identity of the young woman in bottom picture?
Which young woman are you referring to? The one on the left, or the one on the right?
Old 3rd April 2008, 04:36 PM   #20
Geek Goddess

Originally Posted by Geek Goddess View Post
I guessed Phil and Elaine, but I see several people beat me to it!

I used to live about 5 miles from there - looks like a pretty decent turnout.
Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Bzzzz. Sorry, Elaine is not the correct answer. Please try again.
I was talking about the woman sitting on Phil's left. However, the original question, now that I read it again, is - who was the woman in the bottom picture.

Jenny McCarthy - wacko
Old 14th April 2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Dumb All Over

It's been awhile and no one has identified the young lady in the bottom picture. Emily Rosa is her name. She is standing next to her mother, Linda Rosa. Please click the link to find out more about these amazing ladies.
Old 14th April 2008, 03:11 PM   #22
Fitter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
It's been awhile and no one has identified the young lady in the bottom picture. Emily Rosa is her name. She is standing next to her mother, Linda Rosa. Please click the link to find out more about these amazing ladies.
I guess reading the photo's caption should have been a give away but she looks a lot older than the 12 year old I remember.
Fitter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2008, 01:02 AM   #23
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

An event right next to me, and I didn't know? Darn.
Silly Green Monkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2008, 01:21 AM   #24
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by Fitter View Post
I guess reading the photo's caption should have been a give away but she looks a lot older than the 12 year old I remember.
Agree on the caption being a clue, but I forget how many years have passed since her study so a 20 or 21 year old is not who comes to mind.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events