ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags larry king , sylvia browne

Old 1st April 2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Cactus Wren
Muse

Larry, Sylvia, and Gork

Does anybody remember when Larry King was only a late-night radio host?

I can remember back in the 1970s and '80s when every New Year's Eve, he'd do an "interview" with a character called Gork, an alien from the planet Fringus. Gork was all too obviously Larry King's electronically processed voice, but the "interview" was always played for comedy, with "Gork", who supposedly existed one year in the future, giving highlights of the coming year on Earth. The "predictions" were always deliberately preposterous, on the order of (not actual examples) "Prince Charles is going to marry Brooke Shields", or "The extraterrestrials will land in the White House swimming pool."

The Gork of Fringus nights always ended awkwardly, though, because by the time the show ended (5:00 a.m. Eastern time), people were calling to ask "Gork" -- in all sincerity -- exactly the same sort of things callers asked Sylvia Browne every time she was a guest on King's TV show. "My husband left me six months ago, will he come back?" "Will my daughter recover from her leukemia?" King always had to dismiss them with a vague, "I don't know what I'm talking about."

King, of all people, should know that some people will cling to anything, no matter how irrational or nonsensical. Even to things that were obvious fakes.

And yet, over and over, he had Sylvia Browne as a guest.
Cactus Wren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Giraffe107
Graduate Poster

Yeah. Is it stupidity? Greed? Maybe he just has a very selective memory.
Giraffe107 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2008, 09:20 PM   #3
RSLancastr

Very interesting, Cactus Wren!

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2008, 10:04 PM   #4
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

In case you're forgetting, Rob, Lord-knows-how-many-months-ago I let you know of something likewise "very interesting". Very, very interesting as a matter of fact.

Larry King asked Sylvia Browne once about the possibility of coldreading. And, in almost as many words, confessed to having done it over the air for callers of his radio show! And briefly described what coldreading entails!

I'd look it up again but I know you have it. I sent it to you by email.

Last edited by EeneyMinnieMoe; 1st April 2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
RSLancastr

Yup, I have it, Eeney.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Cactus Wren
Muse

It would be interesting if someone could someday confront Larry King with this parallel. Some have defended Sylvia Browne with the assertion, "There must be some validity to her claims, because people believe!" Even King, IIRC, has claimed that Browne should have an opportunity to say what she likes and make what claims she likes, because after all, people believe.

Yes. But by five o'clock in the morning, when they're desperate enough, people will believe in Gork of Fringus.

That "people believe" something doesn't make it true.
Cactus Wren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:23 AM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I really prefer Larry,Moe,and Curly Joe. At least they were trying to be funny on purpose.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal