IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags rupert sheldrake

Old 3rd April 2008, 02:53 PM   #1
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Rupert Sheldrake stabbed in leg at conference

This is really quite odd:

Santa Fe New Mexican:
Police arrest suspect after attack at lecture
April 2, 2008

Quote:
An Englishman speaking on "thought transference" during an international conference at La Fonda on Wednesday was stabbed in the leg by a Japanese man who seemed upset by his remarks, witnesses said.

Rupert Sheldrake of London was sitting up and alert as medics took him on a gurney to an ambulance outside Santa Fe's historic hotel at the southeast corner of the Plaza. Asked if he was OK, Sheldrake smiled and responded, "I hope so."

Hirano Kazuki, 33, of Yokohama, Japan, spent Wednesday night in jail after he was arrested on charges of aggravated battery and assault with intent to commit a violent felony. He provided no resistance as officers led him in handcuffs from the hotel.

Hirano had been attending the 10th International Conference on Science and Consciousness. Other attendees said he had been acting oddly.
Conference web page here:
http://www.bizspirit.com/science/index.html

Last edited by krelnik; 3rd April 2008 at 02:55 PM.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

What? He did not see it coming? You'd have thought his friends in the psychic community would have warned him.

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 3rd April 2008 at 06:53 PM.
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:19 PM   #3
RSLancastr

Exactly where would this fit on "What's the Harm?"

I hope that Sheldrake recovers fully.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Zep
Banned

He may be a nitwit, but that doesn't warrant assault. Being Kent Hovind warrants assault, but not being Rupert Sheldrake.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:31 PM   #5
plumjam
Banned

Does Dawkins have any speaking engagements arranged in Japan anytime soon?
plumjam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm

Sheldrake, not being totally up on thought transference from nuts...mistook Hirano Kazuki's Japanese thoughts of "I'm going to stab you in the leg" for "I want you to sit up and beg".

Obviously Sheldake thought Kazuki was thinking about training his dog....
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:34 PM   #7
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Quote:
Other attendees said he had been acting oddly.
Yeah. Like all the other whackjobs at this new age reach around act normal?
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:13 PM   #8
MachineElf
New Blood

And aren't some of the posts on this thread a wonderful advertisement for the modern skeptical movement....

Last edited by MachineElf; 3rd April 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Shoddy generalising
MachineElf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by MachineElf View Post
And aren't some of the posts on this thread a wonderful advertisement for the modern skeptical movement....
Indeed they are! We could have behaved like the woos would at such happenstances - calling it "karma" or "God's will", and proceeding to wish death or worse on the victims of this silly violence. Oh, and not letting anyone else comment on that either...perhaps even expunging entirely all visibility of the odd contradictory but polite poster on their forum.

I see you have but 1 post just now. Let's just say you have much to learn here yet...
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 01:04 AM   #10
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

Whoa! That's harsh. Although a House-style limp would up his cred points, I really don't wish any sort of harm on the guy, regardless of what I think of him.
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 01:04 AM   #11
Ersby
Fortean

How strange. And a bit worrying. Hope he's okay soon.
Old 4th April 2008, 01:11 AM   #12
Wudang
BOFH

Yep. I mean people so often assume us skeptics are "glass half empty" people when we can actually quite often see the funny side of things.
Old 4th April 2008, 02:05 AM   #13
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ersby View Post
How strange. And a bit worrying. Hope he's okay soon.
Yeah, it is worrying. I mean, these sorts of pseudoscience conferences are bound to attract nutters, but violent nutters? It's not good.
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 05:58 AM   #14
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

It sounds like RS was fortunate in a way. This could easily have been much worse.
I wish him a swift recovery. Sheldrake's nuts, IMO, but he's interesting nuts. It sounds like his attacker is a pretty disturbed individual- really nuts.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 06:55 AM   #15
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
Exactly where would this fit on "What's the Harm?"
Well it seems pretty clear that the attacker had some sort of mental issue, I think I'll steer clear of this story.

Quote:
I hope that Sheldrake recovers fully.
I agree.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 02:42 PM   #16
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Isn't Sheldrake the "morphogenic field" guy?

Does this mean stabbing people in the leg has now become easier for everyone?

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 4th April 2008, 07:30 PM   #17
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Well. Welcome aboard Mr Elf. May I call you Machine? Since I was the second poster, you just have to talking to me.

You should hear what I have to say about Woos that cause actual damage and are not just another Nutty Professor.
Old 4th April 2008, 07:37 PM   #18
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Edited for shoddy generalizing? I wonder how shoddy your original post was.
By the way, I don't think that any harmless nut like Skeldrake deserves the old ultraviolence, O me droogs.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 11:33 PM   #19
MachineElf
New Blood

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Well. Welcome aboard Mr Elf. May I call you Machine? Since I was the second poster, you just have to talking to me.

You should hear what I have to say about Woos that cause actual damage and are not just another Nutty Professor.
No, I'm guessing I really shouldn't. I actually purposefully didn't reply to your post...what can you say about a joke that's been repeated at least 300 times by some of the worst journalists in the world (except maybe, "why")?

Although, have to give you points about cracking jokes when someone gets hurt in a violent attack...
MachineElf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 11:35 PM   #20
MachineElf
New Blood

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
Edited for shoddy generalizing? I wonder how shoddy your original post was.
Just forgot to put the "some" in it, which was poor generalising. Then edited it, including the reason for doing so. Isn't that the done thing?

Last edited by MachineElf; 4th April 2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Just to make you wonder what was here this time...
Old 5th April 2008, 10:52 AM   #21
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

No, I'm guessing I really shouldn't. I actually purposefully didn't reply to your post...what can you say about a joke that's been repeated at least 300 times by some of the worst journalists in the world (except maybe, "why")?

Although, have to give you points about cracking jokes when someone gets hurt in a violent attack...
What joke? Sheldrake is plugged into the psychic community. Surely someone or his dog could have warned him?

As for the violence involved:
Quote:
Rupert Sheldrake of London was sitting up and alert as medics took him on a gurney to an ambulance.
Old 5th April 2008, 04:18 PM   #22
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Originally Posted by Myriad
Isn't Sheldrake the "morphogenic field" guy?

Does this mean stabbing people in the leg has now become easier for everyone?
Only in New Mexico and thereabouts.

Speedy recovery, Rupert.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2008, 04:56 PM   #23
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

"At least 300 times already"? Really?

I don't think that any skeptic wishes physical harm on anybody (except perhaps those who really deserve it).

BTW, I came across this story while listening to Science Saturday on Bloggingheads TV.
Old 6th April 2008, 01:47 AM   #24
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
Yeah. Like all the other whackjobs at this new age reach around act normal?
I think it's all the more telling that they thought Kazuki was acting oddly.

Glad to hear Sheldrake is O.k. and hope he has a speedy recovery.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 07:33 AM   #25
TheAnachronism
Critical Thinker

What could possibly lead someone to think that sort of retribution is okay?

There are a lot of people who I fully disagree with, but causing harm to someone for such a reason is ridiculous. I know a lot of people hold different (read: wooish) worldviews than me, and I certainly wouldn't want to be stabbed or otherwise assaulted for mine.
TheAnachronism is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2008, 09:15 AM   #26
chillzero
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheAnachronism View Post
What could possibly lead someone to think that sort of retribution is okay?
I haven't read any defense yet for the guy who did it, but ... he was at a conference about thought transference. You don't think there's the slightest possibility he thought Sheldrake was tellling him something else? That maybe he thought they had been arguing between themselves without anyone else overhearing?

It would not surprise me to see adefense along the lines of him thinking someone told him to do it, or that he was having a disagreement with Sheldrake. In fact, it might even be interesting to see what kind of response Sheldrake could give if the guy claims he was 'controlled' by someone else. That kind of thing has to really test your commitment to what you tell people.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2008, 05:25 AM   #27
imjohn
Critical Thinker

The LaFonda is a nice hotel. I can see why wooish conferences would like it.
imjohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2008, 11:19 AM   #28
Ashles
Pith Artist

You have three posts in total on this forum, and they are all in this thread and all criticising the responses in this thread.

Do you have any actual other interests for discussion other than how some sceptics post about Rupert Sheldrake's assault?

There are some threads other than this one. You know, if, perhaps, you really wanted to engage in discussion with anyone... about anything...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal