ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th April 2008, 09:27 PM   #41
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Ummmm...it seems that I need to re-open my appeal.

One of the original donors has hit upon a serious situation which has made it impossible for them to give the money they had pledged. I intend no criticism of this person, I know that they really want to help, but the situation has made that impossible for them at present.

In addition, Susan had to make some changes to her travel plans, which has increased her costs (plane ticket is several hundred dollars more expensive).

I have enough money in loans to cover my own costs, and am happy to be responsible for paying this myself. But I still need around $600 more to cover the remaining costs for Susan.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:23 PM   #42
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I have enough money in loans to cover my own costs, and am happy to be responsible for paying this myself. But I still need around $600 more to cover the remaining costs for Susan.
$50 each from 12 people or $20 each from 30. This should be easy to cover.

Anyone?
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 06:55 AM   #43
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I'll pick up a portion of it. We figured out my problems with Paypal... They're Amurrikins and they don't like foreign banks. Time was, you could just pay money off your credit card, but now they want a bank link and it has to be formatted for the USA (two letter state abbreviation and zip code).

Wolfman's going to get me the routing codes to an account in Canada, though. When that comes through, I'll transfer the original $200, and add $50 to cover a portion of the new gap.

Any other takers?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 16th April 2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: added "a portion of", 'cuz I sounded stupid
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 08:38 AM   #44
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

See, here's the thing. In 2002, while we were gearing up for TAM 1 I was making $6,000 more per year without overtime, getting loads of overtime, paying $1.50 US/gal for gas, and my rent, cable, phone, food, beer and cigarette costs were a lot cheaper.

In 2007, I took another pay cut of about $2000 per year, overtime is few and far between, gas is nearing $3.50/gal (and I have to drive 10 days out of 14 rather than 7 because of my new schedule), my rent has gone up about $100/mo., cable and phone are more expensive, food is rising, beer costs a few bucks more a case and I'm having to get my cigs mail order from an Indian reservation for $8/carton more than I was paying at convienence stores in Texas in 2002.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Any other takers?
...that's why I can only offer another $25 in addition to my previous donation and it will have to be after the 1st of May.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 09:19 AM   #45
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

US, I hope you don't think I was being specific in my response... I truly wasn't. I'm just trawling for a good cause. (And I also recall, for Tam 5 that you decided you couldn't go and used some of what you'd saved to help sponsor someone else, if I'm not mistaken...)

Your street cred is topz around Foolmewunz's abode.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 09:43 AM   #46
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

US, I hope you don't think I was being specific in my response... I truly wasn't. I'm just trawling for a good cause. (And I also recall, for Tam 5 that you decided you couldn't go and used some of what you'd saved to help sponsor someone else, if I'm not mistaken...)

Ditto, US...you've already gone above and beyond, not just for Susan, but for others, also.
Old 16th April 2008, 10:28 AM   #47
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
I am in for $50. LMK where to paypal the funds.
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 09:36 PM   #48
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Ditto, US...you've already gone above and beyond, not just for Susan, but for others, also.
Sorry if it seemed I was replying to you fmw, My opening paragraphs were the setup for me quoting your post and tossing in a little extra and an attempt to encourage others to do the same. And no worries Wolfie, part of the reason I'm still able to help others is that the money my mom was sending me arrived.

I still have to pay for MichelleLyons gas and I'm sure another couple of people's attendance will hinge on the odd $25 or $50 donation.
Old 17th April 2008, 06:42 AM   #49
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

And just to put a face to the name...here is Susan
Old 18th April 2008, 04:23 AM   #50
KarlG
Muse

I could probably chuck in another few quid, but it would be the middle of next month as i get paid monthly. I'll keep an eye on this thread and if you are still in need i'll send some more. If not, the scholarship fund will get it. Does the fund run right upto TAM or is there a cutoff date?
KarlG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2008, 07:55 AM   #51
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Good news...have just topped up the funds we need for Susan

So please...do send the money on to the scholarship.
Old 18th April 2008, 08:07 AM   #52
Francesca R
Girl

Wolfman this will sound a bit lame but I was just about to post to ask for your paypal e-mail. Do let me know if the situation changes again
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2008, 11:27 AM   #53
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

See y'all in Vegas!

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2008, 03:27 PM   #54
Lynn
Forum Pie Maker

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
I'd love to help, but I was hoping to go, and I doubt I'll be able to afford it, and what with getting married in July it could be very difficult.
GETTING MARRIED?When were you going to let Auntie Lynn Know?
Lynn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2008, 03:57 PM   #55
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
GETTING MARRIED?When were you going to let Auntie Lynn Know?
Uh oh! (It's okay Wollery... I think she forgave Athon.... eventually.)

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events