ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Book Reviews

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Comment
Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife
A witty review of past and present research of ghosts and the soul.
Submitted by Lilith
8th April 2008

Are you tired of the dry cynical takes on the paranormal that is rampant in so many (good) books these days? Do you secretly yearn for those days when accounts of ghosts and mediums piqued your curiosity? If you were still on the fence about believing in an afterlife, would you long to take a year off to explore the unexplained, interview “experts”, delve into the history of humankind’s fascination with the topics?

If you answered yes to any of these questions – and even if you didn’t – you’re bound to be delighted and entertained by Mary Roach’s book: Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife.

In this witty, intelligent book, Roach takes her readers along for a ride that begins on the back roads of India, following reincarnation researcher Dr. Kirti S. Rawat, and talking with families that have children that they believe are reincarnations of recently-deceased persons from neighboring villages. She then veers onto a wide avenue to search for (and weigh) the soul. On this jaunt she touches on ideas of ancient philosophers, and considers the sanity of the not-so-ancient surgeon and homeopathic practitioner, Duncan Macdougall, who, around 1901, concluded that the soul weighs 3/4 pound (or 21 grams). Before rounding another corner on this journey, Roach interviews a present-day Macdougall sort, Dr. Gerry Nahum, of Duke University, who tries to explain negative entropy, electromagnetic energy, and thermodynamics, and how these relate to his modern approach to weighing the soul.

The next bend in the road takes Roach into the sticky world of ectoplasm and mediums, from the early 1900’s to a present day school for mediums in which Roach enrolls. To be kind, try as she might, Roach is not a star pupil. At one point in her studies, she...

“quietly excused myself and went to the bar, to commune with spirits I know how to relate to.”

In this section, she even gives us an account of her meetings with such notables as Alison Dubois and Michael Persinger. Along the way, Roach cover electronics built for the express purpose of communicating with the dead, and how the ghost of James Pinkney Chaffin swayed a court outcome concerning his last will and testament. This fun and fantastic journey ends with researchers interested in near death experiences.

In this excerpt from one of the final pages in her book, Roach is corresponding with Len Finegold, a physicist at Drexel University, about a paper by Dr. Nahum:

“…I mentioned quantum-mechanics-based theories of consciousness. You can’t hear someone sigh through e-mail, but I heard it anyhow.”

Perhaps due to her seeming lack-of-bias while interviewing the many people in this book, Roach seems to gain their trust as they do their best to explain their research or skills. She doesn’t try to convince the reader that ghosts do or don’t exist, or that a soul leaves the body upon our demise. She doesn’t blatantly say that she believes that paranormal research is or isn’t malarkey; but she does poke fun at several notions, and certainly at herself, on nearly every page. What conclusion does Roach come to? I’ll let that for you to find.

Skeptics and those who believe whole-heartedly that there is no such thing as ghosts will surely get a huge hoot from this book. I recommend that you don’t read this late at night – not because it is scary, but because you will wake your significant other with your bed-shaking outright and uninhibitable giggles. Believers may even be amused despite themselves, and will probably learn some interesting history about the various topics. This book may be a good choice for a skeptic to give to their non-skeptic acquaintances. Above all else, I think many of the posters here on the jref forums will enjoy this book immensely.

(Also by Roach: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, which I also recommend, and her new book released this month (April 2008) – Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, which I have yet to read.)

Mary Roach
By bob_dezon on 15th April 2008, 07:50 PM
Mary was kind enough to send me a pre publication version of this book. I enjoyed it so much, I did my own review too
By Lilith on 17th April 2008, 06:59 AM
Hi Bob - I'd love to read your review. Is it accessible online, and if so, can you provide a link to it?
By bob_dezon on 17th April 2008, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Hi Bob - I'd love to read your review. Is it accessible online, and if so, can you provide a link to it?
Oh, I didnt want to hijack you review or anything like that. I was just agreeing with you really. I quite liked your review.

My review can be found here, if you really must read it

http://badpsychics.com/thefraudfiles...hp?storyid=507
By Boo on 19th April 2008, 08:02 PM
What I enjoyed most about her book was her conclusions. To paraphrase; she said while the evidence was overwhelming against their being ghosts a part of her still believes that they exists. It's the idea that something survives or continues on after death that she finds appealing.

While I disagree with that idea it was refreshing to have her admit that even in the face of overwhelming evidence, for most people it comes down to wanting to believe. It reinforces why skeptics can have such a difficult time debunking paranormal phenomena.

Boo
Comment

International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Book Reviews