IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags rfid , rfid tags

Old 14th May 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

Looks like Korey Rowe was... right

Oh.... this sounds like... fun....

I had to get a medical checkup today. I'm not due for a physical for another 5 years, but for some reason, had to go get one right away they said. Go now, they said. Pick up your medical records, they say. Head to the medical center. I do, get checked out head to toe. After I pass, they stamp this on my medical records.

I'm getting chipped. I got selected for the 1% of combat troops in my Division to get one to monitor "stress patterns" for the upcoming deployment. I get to go to DACH next week for a simple 30 minute procedure to have this damn chip put in my right arm. So I have a date when it goes in, but no date when it comes out. I don't wanna say that is is for nefarious purposes but I don't see a reason to monitor my stress levels prior to a deployment I'm not going on until another 9-10 months.

Congrats, moon bats. you were right about something for once.
Unsecured Coins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:15 PM   #2
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Quote:
I don't see a reason to monitor my stress levels prior to a deployment I'm not going on until another 9-10 months.
get a baseline for "normal" stress levels as a control to compare to combat stress levels probably
Old 14th May 2008, 04:19 PM   #3
godofpie
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

You were "selected"? They didn't ask for volunteers? You had no choice of weather to participate or not? Why does the word Tuskegee keep running through my mind? I am all for better living through implants if those implants allow me to play video games better but for the benefit of my Government? I don't think so.
godofpie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

I heard about that program actually; they say it's supposed to eventually spread to the whole military after the initial tests so as to provide better care for the soldiers. The soldier's info is encoded in the chip so as to allow medical personnel to just wave a reader over the soldier and immediately know everything about them.

I hadn't heard about removing them after leaving the service though.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:22 PM   #5
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Anything at all you can do to stop that, Coins? I'm doubtful, because I remember from my 5 years active that medically, they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want to you. I've got a nice half-inch scar on my arm from these military "doctors", from 32 years ago. Looks like not much has changed - other than technology.

Chips in people. Holy friggin' Christ. I must be psychic because I was thinking about this very thing not an hour ago - but chips in newborns.

I hope you stop 'em.

Last edited by ConspiRaider; 14th May 2008 at 04:23 PM.
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

Originally Posted by ConspiRaider View Post
Anything at all you can do to stop that, Coins? I'm doubtful, because I remember from my 5 years active that medically, they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want to you. I've got a nice half-inch scar on my arm from these military "doctors", from 32 years ago. Looks like not much has changed - other than technology.

Chips in people. Holy friggin' Christ. I must be psychic because I was thinking about this very thing not an hour ago - but chips in newborns.

I hope you stop 'em.

if I refuse, that's disobeying a lawful order. bye bye career.
Unsecured Coins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Bobert
Illuminator

Damn that is crazy that you cant refuse that!
BUT on the positive side Korey says that chip will balance your checkbook for you and get you free drinks!!!!!
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:37 PM   #8
OldTigerCub
Striped Shapeshifting Reptoid

So we will have a real life "Manchurian Candidate" right here on the forum!
(of course I'm assuming, UC, that you will be running for president as soon as your tour of duty is done)

Last edited by OldTigerCub; 14th May 2008 at 04:48 PM.
OldTigerCub is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
BUT on the positive side Korey says that chip will balance your checkbook
that's what I have a wife for

and get you free drinks!!!!!
that's why you make friends with barkeeps.

This whole thing is odd.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Confuseling
Irreligious fanatic

I've honestly never understood why people are so freaked about all this stuff.

By analogy: here in the UK people are going absolutely nutso over ID cards. But practically everyone has a photo driving license or passport anyway, so presumably the photos are digitized, and with our little island more or less completely covered in CCTV cameras, I think it would be pretty trivial for the government to work out who and where you were if they had the will to.

Similarly, implanted chips might well measure certain interesting things, but as a tracker? Please. Tell me the last time you turned off your mobile phone before you did anything naughty.

I know you're a rational person, and I really don't presume to advise you. But this sounds like a perfectly sensible thing for a military to want to do. Don't sweat it.

(or you'll set the chip off )

Join my petition. Fight the vile slurp spider scourge. Harass Darat. Can you afford not to?

Last edited by Confuseling; 14th May 2008 at 04:42 PM.
Confuseling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:41 PM   #11
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by Unsecured Coins View Post
if I refuse, that's disobeying a lawful order. bye bye career.
I'll hire you for something, Coins, us military dogs gots ta stick tagethah. It won't be much and there won't be any pay for quite awhile but I won't chip you, promise.

(wait a minute)

Okay I'm back. I just looked in the mirror and the scar on my arm? It's now on the OTHER arm! Those military sawbones "doctors", reaching out from 32 years ago...

Seriously bro. Keep a stiff upper chip - I mean lip.

Last edited by ConspiRaider; 14th May 2008 at 04:46 PM.
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:42 PM   #12
Bobert
Illuminator

So once that is implanted in your hand can you......errr....nevermind.
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:42 PM   #13
bonavada

Oh.... this sounds like... fun....

<snip>
Does the label with the barcode in the pic identify you UC? perhaps you may want to crop that bit, considering the odd types that may frequent hereabouts.

Just thought I'd mention it.

BV
bonavada is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:45 PM   #14
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
I've honestly never understood why people are so freaked about all this stuff.

By analogy: here in the UK people are going absolutely nutso over ID cards. But practically everyone has a photo driving license or passport anyway, so presumably the photos are digitized, and with our little island more or less completely covered in CCTV cameras, I think it would be pretty trivial for the government to work out who and where you were if they had the will to.

Similarly, implanted chips might well measure certain interesting things, but as a tracker? Please. Tell me the last time you turned off your mobile phone before you did anything naughty.

I know you're a rational person, and I really don't presume to advise you. But this sounds like a perfectly sensible thing for a military to want to do. Don't sweat it.

(or you'll set the chip off )
I heard the UK was looking at chipping people to see if they say anything bad about the Queen in their sleep. Am I right? Usually when I hear something, it rings true.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:45 PM   #15
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

So once that is implanted in your hand can you......errr....nevermind.
depends if the chip has an accelerometer, lol
Old 14th May 2008, 04:45 PM   #16
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

So when Unsecured Coins starts posting in Spanish and telling us all how much he loves everything about George W Bush, it will be time to tool up, pack your string and head for the hills.

Seems a bit strange to me that it can be a lawful order that compels you to undergo unnecessary surgical procedures.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:47 PM   #17
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
So when Unsecured Coins starts posting in Spanish
why are you talking so slow? he understands us just fine, maybe you should try listening slower

sorry, your post made me think of RvB, lol
Old 14th May 2008, 04:47 PM   #18
Confuseling
Irreligious fanatic

I heard the UK was looking at chipping people to see if they say anything bad about the Queen in their sleep. Am I right? Usually when I hear something, it rings true.
Why would they bother? We all hold the Queen in the highest regard. She's a good Sheila, Bruce, and not at all stuck up.

Oh and UC: I'll give you bloody awful odds on the thing actually working anyway

Join my petition. Fight the vile slurp spider scourge. Harass Darat. Can you afford not to?

Last edited by Confuseling; 14th May 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Confuseling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 04:53 PM   #19
OldTigerCub

Damn that is crazy that you cant refuse that!
BUT on the positive side Korey says that chip will balance your checkbook for you and get you free drinks!!!!!
Not sure about the free drinks and balancing one's checkbook, but I'd be willing to bet that someone's credit card bill is gonna get charged everytime UC goes through one of those turnpike or toll bridge scanners.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:57 PM   #20
Bobert
Illuminator

LOL JFK and the LCF have nothing better to do then to get ideas from the evil JREF!
http://s1.zetaboards.com/LooseChange.../276207/1/#new
Old 14th May 2008, 04:59 PM   #21
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
why are you talking so slow? he understands us just fine, maybe you should try listening slower

That's exactly what it made me think of too. Heh.

On the point of chips, my friend had a chip implanted in his hand to use to unlock his car and start it. Frankly I think that's cool.

I'd love to have a chip planted in my hand that unlocked things for me and could be used to pay for things. Would save a lot of hassle. Maybe they could implant a microphone in my pinkie and a speaker in my thumb too so I don't have to lug a cellphone around.

Do you have the right to know details about the chip? For example does it just monitor and record information, or does it also transmit it real time?

Personally I'd quite like to have a chip monitoring my vitals and recording them because I think my doctor could put that data to very good use to keep me alive and healthy, but if the chip is transmitting continuously that's a bit of a different story.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 05:00 PM   #22
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Seriously, Coins. I know this is no joking matter but you know how it is, trying to make light of a new, in my opinion, horror, is to be expected. No laughing matter though. Has to be something you can do.

Maybe overdevelop that right arm? If it's a solid wall of muscle or something, that could impede the chip signals, no? Probably you should start playing tennis, you can be the Coin-rena Williams of the JREForum. Play the hell out of that game (assumes you are right-handed). Play golf. Bowl. Hit four-seamer fastballs from a washed-up minor leaguer. Bake. Bake stuff that requires mixing heavy dough with a big spoon, by hand. Make the chip arm an arm of veritable steel, and that should play havoc with its circuitry.

Oh - no badminton. That has a reverse effect, makes your arm soft and droopy and chip-friendly.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:02 PM   #23
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
That's exactly what it made me think of too. Heh.

On the point of chips, my friend had a chip implanted in his hand to use to unlock his car and start it. Frankly I think that's cool.
i mounted a chip in a glove to open the door at work, since i didnt feel like going to mexico to have one surgically implanted, lol (ordinarily we use photo ID badges with the chip in them)
Old 14th May 2008, 05:05 PM   #24
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

Seriously, Coins. I know this is no joking matter but you know how it is, trying to make light of a new, in my opinion, horror, is to be expected. No laughing matter though. Has to be something you can do.

Maybe overdevelop that right arm? If it's a solid wall of muscle or something, that could impede the chip signals, no? Probably you should start playing tennis, you can be the Coin-rena Williams of the JREForum. Play the hell out of that game (assumes you are right-handed). Play golf. Bowl. Hit four-seamer fastballs from a washed-up minor leaguer. Bake. Bake stuff that requires mixing heavy dough with a big spoon, by hand. Make the chip arm an arm of veritable steel, and that should play havoc with its circuitry.

Oh - no badminton. That has a reverse effect, makes your arm soft and droopy and chip-friendly.
All I know is, it's going in my right arm. maybe the forearm, maybe the shoulder. That's my picking arm too (being a guitar player and all) so if this really is for "stress measuring" wait until they see what happens after a week of nothing but death metal practice.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:07 PM   #25
Confuseling
Irreligious fanatic

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
...I'd love to have a chip planted in my hand that unlocked things for me and could be used to pay for things. Would save a lot of hassle. Maybe they could implant a microphone in my pinkie and a speaker in my thumb too so I don't have to lug a cellphone around.
Someone invented a phone in Japan apparently with the receiver built into a wristwatch, and that transmits vibrations through the bones in your thumb so they reconstruct as voice in your ear. Raises the alarming spectre of people calling you to get to people you're with, and you having to put your thumb in their ear.

Quote:
...Do you have the right to know details about the chip? For example does it just monitor and record information, or does it also transmit it real time?
Surely RFID only transmits when it's pinged with precisely the right code? So as long as that's using military levels of encryption, I would expect it to be pretty snoop-proof.

ETA:
Tin-foil oven gloves?

Last edited by Confuseling; 14th May 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:08 PM   #26
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Be sure to let us know what happens, UC; there's a good chance I'll be getting one of those before too much longer after all.
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 05:08 PM   #27
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post

que?

I don't know what RvB means....
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 05:09 PM   #28
Bobert
Illuminator

So when Unsecured Coins starts posting in Spanish and telling us all how much he loves everything about George W Bush, it will be time to tool up, pack your string and head for the hills.

Seems a bit strange to me that it can be a lawful order that compels you to undergo unnecessary surgical procedures.
No No No according to Korey the wireless chips that will be implanted in our brains will allow us to learn spanish in a second!
Old 14th May 2008, 05:10 PM   #29
OldTigerCub

All I know is, it's going in my right arm. maybe the forearm, maybe the shoulder. That's my picking arm too (being a guitar player and all) so if this really is for "stress measuring" wait until they see what happens after a week of nothing but death metal practice.
...especially if it has a resonant frequency anywhere in the treble clef.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:12 PM   #30
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Heh. This post made me genuinely laugh out loud.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 05:17 PM   #31
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

... This whole thing is odd.
Want the REAL answer?

Most likely it is that some shining star in the Bush apparatus is connected with whatever boondoggle-chasing company makes said chip.

And when they eventually DO want to read it out it will be found to be utterly useless.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:18 PM   #32
Totovader
Game Warden

Ugh, don't those guys know not to chip "one of us"?

Let's get on the conference call... *sigh* someone filled out the wrong form- we should probably get this fixed.

Totovader's 9/11 Conspiracy Challenge Still unanswered!
Totovader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2008, 05:23 PM   #33
Par
Master Poster

I think you're meant to dip the string in wax first, dude.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:24 PM   #34
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Well that kind of makes me think of a contingency plan, a so-called "Plan B", if you cannot stop these military hosers. I don't think you can, not from what I remember.

But anyway "Plan B" (although you should still resist capitulation - more later) calls for sending "false positives" from the chip. Make the monitoring bastards think you are REALLY stressed out. Kind of like faking out a lie detector machine, right? This actually could work in your favor - the stress of combat is so great that they'd have to station you in Oahu or Ohio or Ojai, California. Personally I'd take any of those three but that'd be your choice, naturally.

Still, capitulating to these military chip-bullies bothers the living hell out of me (you know how anti-authority I am) and it should you too. Trick 'em? I'm here in Tinsel Town, I can probably get my hands on a very good prop arm like they use in Terminator 2 and the like? Let me know. Prop guy owes me a favor and I just may have to hit him up...
Old 14th May 2008, 05:28 PM   #35
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

que?

I don't know what RvB means....

RvB refers to "Red Vs Blue" an animated series created using the Halo computer game. It focuses on two opposing squads of soldiers (the reds and the blues) in the midst of a galactic civil war, posted to two outposts at the opposite end of a small closed in canyon in the middle of nowhere, with no apparent strategic value whatsoever.

The series is a mix of some clever parodies of military life and computer gaming. One of the characters is a robot called "Lopez" who ends up accidentally being given a Spanish voice box. Hilarity ensues.

Quote:
Sarge: Done and done. Lopez. Activate speech unit!
Lopez: Buenos días. Y la gracias da por activar mi función del discurso. Soy el número de modelo cero uno cero uno uno tres cuatro ocho ocho dos tres. Me llamo es Lopez.
Donut: (over the last five numbers) Am I the only one not understanding any of this?
Lopez: Me llamo es Lopez.
Grif: Lopez, he just said Lopez! I understood that. I can speak Spanish!
Sarge: Lopez. Speak, English.
Lopez: Mi procesador Inglés tiene malfunctioned. Sé habla solamente español.
Simmons: Huh, I think you shorted out his speech unit with that static, sir.
Sarge: Maybe Princess Peach here picked up the wrong model.
Donut: Seriously dude. For the last time. Not pink.
Sarge: Lopez. I order you to speak a language we understand.
Lopez: Negativo.
Sarge: Well this is just dandy. Lopez. How, do, we, fix, your, speech, u, -nit?
Grif: Why are you talking so slow? He understands us just fine. Maybe you should try listening slower.

Old 14th May 2008, 05:29 PM   #36
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
Be sure to let us know what happens, UC; there's a good chance I'll be getting one of those before too much longer after all.
Oh this is just TERRIFICO, Sabrina. Are you in the service? I mean I can't believe you'd voluntarily do this? Think about this before you do something whacko. Would it be monitoring stress too? I know something about doctoring, if it's going to be implanted in your thigh, maybe I could give it a try? How tough could it be? You press a hypydermic plunger, no?
Old 14th May 2008, 05:32 PM   #37
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Oh this is just TERRIFICO, Sabrina. Are you in the service? I mean I can't believe you'd voluntarily do this? Think about this before you do something whacko. Would it be monitoring stress too? I know something about doctoring, if it's going to be implanted in your thigh, maybe I could give it a try? How tough could it be? You press a hypydermic plunger, no?
I am in the service; not combat arms though, so it'll be a while before they look my way with one of them. Plus, I'm only in the reserves. Although, I think they might want to give them to military intelligence folks pretty soon... hmmm...
Old 14th May 2008, 05:50 PM   #38
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
I am in the service; not combat arms though, so it'll be a while before they look my way with one of them. Plus, I'm only in the reserves. Although, I think they might want to give them to military intelligence folks pretty soon... hmmm...
Cool. But you know how these military goons operate which is why I am damned near PLEADING with Coins to nip this thing in the bud and Blip the Chip.

Straight up on the military intelligence, with what's going on in the world today you just KNOW their stressnesses are increasing. They probably want to see how much they can take before they crack. Sadistic. Reminds me of the blue-ropers in Navy boot camp.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but do you know if the chips to be implanted in females are different than those for men? Because of the different hormones and stresses and all? Are these chips "gender-tuned"?
Old 14th May 2008, 05:51 PM   #39
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Haven't heard much; I'm sure I'll hear more if/when I get mine.
Old 14th May 2008, 05:59 PM   #40
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Barring secret technology I don't know about, it takes too much power for such a chip to transmit continuously. Most RFID chips have no power supply at all; they get their power from the antenna that is scanning them. This includes the implantable RFID tags (the cliche is "size of a grain of rice") that you can buy for your pets

Active RFID chips have power supplies; they can transmit longer distances, can autonomously initiate transmissions, and also perform other actions such as collecting and storing data. However, the battery makes them larger; a device implantable in the arm can't be very large (though much larger devices, such as pacemakers, can be implanted in other ways). Most likely, if it's been designed for the stated purpose of collecting biomedical data, it has just enough battery power to collect and store the data over the time period required. There's no need to waste power on autonomous transmission because it's cheap and easy to scan the study subjects as needed. (As military personnel, they can be ordered around, though more likely the researchers will try to instead put the scanners into places where the soldiers' normal routine will bring them into contact, to avoid the chance of special procedures altering the results.)

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Misuse of technology is an issue, no doubt. But there's certainly nothing new about soldiers being subjected to things that most civilians would object to. The rest of us don't live in barracks, march in step, or even salute each other, despite the military doing those things for millennia. There's not much precedent for testing things on soldiers as a sneaky way to introduce those same things into the general population.

I also see wanting to study the sources and effects of stress as positive progress. Stress does a lot of harm, mental and physical, some of it tragically long-lasting, to large numbers of soldiers. The commanders could just accept the status quo and say, "if they can't handle it, screw 'em," and hardly anyone would blame them for not trying to solve a problem that's existed for as long as there have been armies. Trying to do something about it is admirable.

U.C., if you're like most soldiers, you are willing to put yourself at risk primarily for the sake of your brothers in arms. Since you're not being given a choice anyhow, why not think of this as taking a little extra risk of a different kind, to help save them from something that lays almost as many of them low as bullets and bombs?

Respectfully,
Myriad

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events