ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Latest Commentary Issues

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th October 2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, "under God"

OK so the first draft didn't say "under God" and Lincoln added it later. The real question is did he say it at Gettysburg? This is not clear to me from Randi's commentary.

We know that Lincoln belonged to no church, but that's not the question.

If Lincoln used the "under God" version when he actually delivered the address, then the quotation is legit.

I happen to have The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln (Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1955). That's eight volumes plus index volume.

I looked it up and both versions are there. Indeed there are several drafts all slightly different. But not the answer to my question.

Various newspaper reports garbled it or paraphrased.

The question is whether Lincoln said "under God".

It the answer even known?
Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2003, 01:25 PM   #2
TruthSeeker
Illuminator

Maybe we can persuade John Edward to ask him?
TruthSeeker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2003, 06:02 PM   #3
john_v_h
Student

Here is a Web page dedicated to this mystery.
john_v_h is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2003, 04:46 AM   #4
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by TruthSeeker
Maybe we can persuade John Edward to ask him?
No, we should ask John Edward, Sylvia Browne and James Van Praagh.....simultaneously and in different rooms.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2003, 11:57 AM   #5
DrMatt
Graduate Poster

In any case, the "under God" phrase is etched on the wall of the Lincoln Memorial.
Old 13th October 2003, 12:04 PM   #6
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by john_v_h
Here is a Web page dedicated to this mystery.
Very interesting. It agrees with what I already knew but provides addition information. I encourage any Lincoln enthusiast to click the link.

Still no definitive answer to my question. Perhaps no longer answerable.
Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMatt
In any case, the "under God" phrase is etched on the wall of the Lincoln Memorial.
Well, if it's carved in stone that settles it!

Did you know that the Lincoln Memorial is modeled on the presumed appearance of the Temple of Zeus at Athens?

Old 14th October 2003, 11:30 AM   #8
phildonnia
Master Poster

...that this nation, under God shall have a new birth of freedom...

It seems to me that in any case, the "under God" could be interpreted two different ways; as a modifier of "this nation", or as an adverbial modifier to "shall have".

The first meaning, since it echoes the familiar pledge of allegience of today, seems to be the one everyone assumes; that "this nation" is somehow "under God".

But I think the placement of the commas in the ususal transcription indicates that the second meaning was intended; it's a polite and common way of saying "I'm making a prediction about the future, and I don't want to jinx it".

That's how I take it anyway.
phildonnia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Latest Commentary Issues