ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th June 2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Question Was the Coughing Major innocent?

Does anyone remember that Who wants to be a Millionare contestant, Major Charles Ingram, who was found guilty of having someone cough him to a million from the audience?

In recent years I've heard a couple of theories that he was indeed innocent, given that the man who coughed the correct answers (Out of four choices) actually suffered very severe respitory problems.

He always seemed guilty from his utterly clueless nature on the show, but I may be wrong all the same.

Last edited by Undesired Walrus; 13th June 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
the man who coughed the correct answers (Out of four choices) actually suffered very severe respitory problems.
I heard that too but I believe when the coughing man appeared in the "hot seat" himself there was no coughing.
Old 13th June 2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

He only got to about 4000 pounds though didn't he? Wouldn't it be an incredible piece of luck that he got every single answer correctly in the game he didn't perform in, then cocking up in the hotseat himself?

What was his name again? IIRC, it was something like Tarquin Pillock or Teflon Pillow.

The Major has a novel coming out soon professing his innocence. It will be interesting to see if he can claw back the million from a bookdeal.

Last edited by Undesired Walrus; 13th June 2008 at 08:40 AM.
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

IIRC, people detected that "smart animals" who could do things like add small numbers and stamp out the answer, were actually watching for subtle clues from their owners.

This was demonstrated by scientists who could, without knowing what the question was, also answer correctly just by looking at the owner.

So if the cougher's "code" was broken, and used on more than 2-3 questions, he's probably in on it.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Liszt
Graduate Poster

He only got to about 4000 pounds though didn't he? Wouldn't it be an incredible piece of luck that he got every single answer correctly in the game he didn't perform in, then cocking up in the hotseat himself?

What was his name again? IIRC, it was something like Tarquin Pillock or Teflon Pillow.

The Major has a novel coming out soon professing his innocence. It will be interesting to see if he can claw back the million from a bookdeal.

Major Charles Ingram & Tecwen Whittock, which has to be a fake name.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2823407.stm

I think he still protests his innocence.
Liszt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

It was the stamping elephant hoax wasn't it?

I had forgotten all about that. Thanks Beerina.
Old 13th June 2008, 09:34 AM   #7
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

I'm a little at odds over this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ingram

Too tough to call
I've accomplished more without film school than most people, such as yourself, will EVER accomplish. Period. Jealousy is a bitch, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but don't spew ******** like that and expect to not be corrected. This is why you were banned from my forums in the first place.
- Dylan Avery on the budget of his film.
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

There was of course the infamous 'No Cough' which was a very clear 'No' smuggled into a cough when Ingram was about to answer with the wrong option.
Old 13th June 2008, 10:08 AM   #9
theauthor
Banned

Does anyone remember that Who wants to be a Millionare contestant, Major Charles Ingram, who was found guilty of having someone cough him to a million from the audience?

In recent years I've heard a couple of theories that he was indeed innocent, given that the man who coughed the correct answers (Out of four choices) actually suffered very severe respitory problems.

He always seemed guilty from his utterly clueless nature on the show, but I may be wrong all the same.
How is this a conspiracy?
theauthor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 10:21 AM   #10
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Originally Posted by theauthor View Post
Two men may have, what's the word? Oh, yeah, conspired to bilk a game show.

Duh.
Old 13th June 2008, 11:47 AM   #11
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by JimBenArm View Post

Duh.
What JBA said.

Also... report it, and leave it. Don't derail it.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 12:27 PM   #12
theauthor
Banned

Originally Posted by JimBenArm View Post

Duh.
Oh right. I see. So any crime committed by 2 or more people is ok to discuss.
theauthor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 12:28 PM   #13
theauthor
Banned

Originally Posted by chillzero View Post
What JBA said.

Also... report it, and leave it. Don't derail it.

One post does not a derail make. As you told me when someone started posting recipes.
Old 13th June 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
chillzero
Domestic Godless

One post does not a derail make. As you told me when someone started posting recipes.
....and yet here we are 5 posts later.

... in a 15 post thread.

I won't be surprised if this batch get moved by another mod (I won't because I'm participating in the thread). You shouldn't address forum mgt / moderation issues in threads, you have been told so a few times. If you think something is wrong with a post or a thread, just report it, and leave out the commentary. It's a very poor tactic.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 12:34 PM   #15
theauthor
Banned

....and yet here we are 5 posts later.

... in a 15 post thread.

I won't be surprised if this batch get moved by another mod (I won't because I'm participating in the thread). You shouldn't address forum mgt / moderation issues in threads, you have been told so a few times. If you think something is wrong with a post or a thread, just report it, and leave out the commentary. It's a very poor tactic.
OK, I take your point. But since the reports are never taken seriously and anything from poetry to mundane crime stories are allowed in the CT forum I wont bother any more.
Old 13th June 2008, 12:45 PM   #16
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

OK, I take your point. But since the reports are never taken seriously and anything from poetry to mundane crime stories are allowed in the CT forum I wont bother any more.
You'd better go - the Billy Goats Gruff aren't too far away, and they're heading for your bridge...

Anyway...

As far as this conspiracy goes, having seen excerpts from the programme, I'd say guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 12:57 PM   #17
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Originally Posted by SatansMaleVoiceChoir View Post

As far as this conspiracy goes, having seen excerpts from the programme, I'd say guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
I agree. I saw a program that examined the incident, and it really seemed obvious. I am trying to remember if they showed the whole segment as aired or not as well.

It really doesn't need a lot of people to make a conspiracy... two or more will do. In fact, the fewer there are, the more succesful your conspiracy is likely to be.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:00 PM   #18
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

I agree. I saw a program that examined the incident, and it really seemed obvious. I am trying to remember if they showed the whole segment as aired or not as well.

It really doesn't need a lot of people to make a conspiracy... two or more will do. In fact, the fewer there are, the more succesful your conspiracy is likely to be.
Certainly the programme about the controversy I saw was just 'highlights', not the entire thing as filmed. Even shown as small clips there was no way it could be 'taken out of context'; it seemed pretty deliberate.

ETA - Question; can one person conspire on their own, or is that just 'plotting'?!

Last edited by SatansMaleVoiceChoir; 13th June 2008 at 01:01 PM.
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2008, 01:05 PM   #19
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Certainly the programme about the controversy I saw was just 'highlights', not the entire thing as filmed. Even shown as small clips there was no way it could be 'taken out of context'; it seemed pretty deliberate.
Indeed.

ETA - Question; can one person conspire on their own, or is that just 'plotting'?!
I would call that plotting. I think you can only conspire with someone.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:19 PM   #20
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

Indeed.

I would call that plotting. I think you can only conspire with someone.
To be honest, I wish I'd have thought of it first - I would have been a lot more discreet!

Glad we sorted out the 'plotting'/'conspiring' issue!
Old 13th June 2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Storm Warning
Graduate Poster

Folks, this is bigger than just a measly million. In fact, this may be the mother of all conspiracies. Let's look at the facts,
  • Charles Ingram was born on August 6. What else happened on that date? Oh, just a little thing called...Hiroshima! No conspiracies surrounding that incident, are there?
  • Charles Ingram's wife's name? Diana. Can anyone else think of any conspiracies involving people named Charles and Diana?
  • What dates were the shows in questions taped on? 9 September 2001 and 10 September 2001. Nothing of note conspiracy-wise happened on or near those dates, was there?
Need I go on?

We're through the looking glass here, people.
Old 13th June 2008, 02:19 PM   #22
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Oh right. I see. So any crime committed by 2 or more people is ok to discuss.
Well, if you think it might be a lively and interesting discussion, go for it!

Of course, our ideas of what constitute that may differ.

Got anything in mind, or just trying to keep your streak alive?
Old 13th June 2008, 02:20 PM   #23
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

Does anyone have a link to the show in question? Thanks in advance.
Old 13th June 2008, 02:56 PM   #24
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Part 1 of 8
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bQoNWw0G2AY
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Part 8 is worth watching for the phonecall to the Ingram home declaring that he would no longer get the million and the police had been contacted. Somewhat oddly for a man who had been refused such a massive amount, he neither asks nor demands for the reasons behind this strange occurence.

And for those who want it, here is Charles Ingram with Russell Brand discussing the very important issues of the Big Brother house.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Undesired Walrus; 13th June 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12th November 2008, 01:44 AM   #25
James Plaskett
New Blood

Surprised to see this topic revived in a thread begun in June 2008... and at the JREF, of all places!

I have corresponded by e mail with Randi a bit a couple of years ago and criticised him for not allowing a Breatharian to try to win the $1 million dollar challenge.
After some initial bitchiness on his part he later e mailed me to say tht he had now opened up the challenge to the Breatharians... all of whom promptly disappeared!
I acknowledged that he had now treated them fairly, and also good-naturedly drew his attention to my having been confronted with a question for what was, at Nov 2005 exchange rates, a value of $1 million!

See Wikipedia.

I have also been in touch with Uri Geller and urged him to take the challenge.
He responded that he would have nothing to do with Randi, "I know too much about him."

He did not specify just what it was that he knew.

I actually signed up to be a member of this forum about that time but have never posted before.

A Statcounter analysis at my Blog of somebody´s Google search of Nov 9th 2008 reveals this thread to be their first hit when searching for

"Is the coughing major innocent?"

I wrote the essay in Major Ingram´s defence.

See Wikipedia.

It inspired two articles in British newspapers casting doubt on the verdict.

Somebody on this thread mentions that Ingram has a "novel" coming out about his innocence.
It´s actually a factual book.
As the film Slumdog Millionaire opens in the UK in 11 weeks that could be good timing.
The film is about an Indian boy who wins the million on Who Wants To Be A Milionaire? and gets accused of cheating because he won.

Rather like the Major.
James Plaskett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2008, 04:32 AM   #26
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

The major is stupid twit who got caught out cheating

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2008, 07:13 AM   #27
Sunstealer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Liszt View Post
... Tecwen Whittock, which has to be a fake name.
It's an anagram of Tit cock when wet.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2008, 02:23 PM   #28
tomwaits
Master Poster

I admit complete ignorance when it comes to modern English law. However, I think they should have let him keep the money. The guy managed to cleverly trick the game show, and therefore, should be allowed the money. Live and learn, I say.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2008, 03:43 PM   #29
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
I admit complete ignorance when it comes to modern English law. However, I think they should have let him keep the money. The guy managed to cleverly trick the game show, and therefore, should be allowed the money. Live and learn, I say.

That would depend on if he tricked it within the rules, or not. We'd have to see what rules he agreed to before making that judgment.

If he was within the rules, I'd agree with you, but if he wasn't, then screw him!
Old 12th November 2008, 05:39 PM   #30
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
The major is stupid twit who got caught out cheating

I thought the Major was a little lady suffragette.

Respectfully,
Myriad

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories