ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags homeopathy

Old 22nd July 2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Badly Shaved Monkey
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Homeopaths: Give One, You Only Need One, Incontrovertible Example...

GIVE ONE, YOU ONLY NEED ONE, INCONTROVERTIBLE EXAMPLE, WITH REFERENCES, OF HOMEOPATHY CURING A NON-SELF-LIMITING CONDITION

Since this question has caused non-self-limiting damage to the credibility of every homeopath to whom it has been posed, I thought it would benefit from being giving a thread to which enthusiastic contenders may be directed in future.
Badly Shaved Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Rolfe

You know what? I'd extend that to include successful management of any condition which is known to be fatal if left untreated.

Homoeopaths often point out (correctly) that medicine cannot cure diabetes, or Addison's, or hypothyroidism etc., etc. However, patients suffering from these conditions (the first two of which are certainly fatal if left untreated) are successfully managed so that they live normal or near-normal lives. Homoeopathy constantly boasts of cure, thus we focus on cure, however successful management of conditions like this would in fact be equally impressive.

If they could do it.

Rolfe.
Old 22nd July 2008, 03:18 AM   #3
Rolfe

I think we must also make it crystal clear to any applicants that presenting a case report of a patient who survived an infection or other pathology with a high (but under 100%) fatality rate, does not count.

Rolfe.
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:08 AM   #4
Delvo
Illuminator

What do you mean by "self-limiting"?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:25 AM   #5
logical muse
LogMu

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
What do you mean by "self-limiting"?
Quote:
self·-limiting (self′lim′it iŋ)

adjective

that terminates by the natural course of events a self-limiting disease
Quote:
illness: Patients may have a serious life-threatening condition or a trivial self-limiting illness.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/self-limiting
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:44 AM   #6
TheDaver
hairy farting brute

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I think we must also make it crystal clear to any applicants that presenting a case report of a patient who survived an infection or other pathology with a high (but under 100%) fatality rate, does not count.

Rolfe.
Of course, because correlation ≠ causality, but then again, that logical fact somehow escapes many people.
TheDaver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 05:55 AM   #7
Soapy Sam
NLH

*Drums fingers. Puts on kettle*
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:23 AM   #8
malbui
Beauf

I've got chocolate digestives here. What about you guys?
Old 22nd July 2008, 06:37 AM   #9
logical muse
LogMu

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I've got chocolate digestives here.
McVitie's?
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:02 AM   #10
Badly Shaved Monkey

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I've got chocolate digestives here. What about you guys?
I've got a Hob Nob.

(Probably shouldn't stand so close to the cooker while naked and frying bacon)
Badly Shaved Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:05 AM   #11
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

Originally Posted by Badly Shaved Monkey View Post
GIVE ONE, YOU ONLY NEED ONE, INCONTROVERTIBLE EXAMPLE, WITH REFERENCES, OF HOMEOPATHY CURING A NON-SELF-LIMITING CONDITION

Since this question has caused non-self-limiting damage to the credibility of every homeopath to whom it has been posed, I thought it would benefit from being giving a thread to which enthusiastic contenders may be directed in future.

In other words, the homeopathic cure to the loss of credibility of homeopaths is an infintesimal amount of evidence.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:30 PM   #12
Badly Shaved Monkey

I'd like to hear more about Andre Saine's apparent claims that homeopathy cures rabies. Does anyone know about the basis on which those claims are founded?

DUllman said "Andre Saine’s forthcoming book, The Weight of Evidence, will probably provide us all with this evidence about rabies."
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:33 PM   #13
Badly Shaved Monkey

To help the homeopaths I'll also highlight the alleged cures of cancer claimed using the "Banerji Protocol"

These claims are superficially impressive. Can anyone comment on the quality of these claims?

Last edited by Badly Shaved Monkey; 22nd July 2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to hear more about Andre Saine's apparent claims that homeopathy cures rabies. Does anyone know about the basis on which those claims are founded?

<< snip >>
Well. It is certainly true that none of the patients ever treated in this way have ever complained it did not work.

Old 22nd July 2008, 10:39 PM   #15
fls
Penultimate Amazing

To help the homeopaths I'll also highlight the alleged cures of cancer claimed using the "Banerji Protocol"

These claims are superficially impressive. Can anyone comment on the quality of these claims?
Out of seven cases, one 'brain cancer' was not confirmed with tissue examination. One biopsy and one fine-needle aspirate gave questionable results as to the presence of cancer. Three biopsies seem to confirm the presence of cancer, but they did not specify whether other treatment was provided. This leaves one diagnosis made on the basis of fine needle aspirate (small cell lung ca) where no other treatment was received. What is the chance that the pathologist made a mistake with a sample type that has less reliability than biopsy or that there was spontaneous regression of a tumour type for which spontaneous regression has previously been reported (albeit rarely)?

Linda
Look how nicely I'm not reminding you you're dumb.-Happy Bunny
When I give an example, do not assume I am excluding every other possible example. Thank you.
fls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:47 PM   #16
fls
Penultimate Amazing

In this article, he refers to clinical rabies. The wording suggests that these were not confirmed by laboratory testing, and so simply may not have been rabies.

Linda
Look how nicely I'm not reminding you you're dumb.-Happy Bunny
When I give an example, do not assume I am excluding every other possible example. Thank you.
fls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:27 AM   #17
Kuko 4000
Graduate Poster

I'm trying to arrange a meeting with one of the most prominent homeopaths of my town. I've heard that she's scientifically informed. She's studied in the university of Helsinki and been involved in some very high profile science tv series here in Finland. This is what I've heard. I'm also trying to get her to join this forum for constructive discussions. Let's see what happens.
Kuko 4000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by fls View Post
In this article, he refers to clinical rabies. The wording suggests that these were not confirmed by laboratory testing, and so simply may not have been rabies.

Linda
The full broadcast is available.

Remember to keep the aspirin ready for the non-Novella parts. My brain still hurts from the memory of listening to it.

I'm sure if Saine had evidence for all these claims that somebody else would have at least part of that evidence. As no-one has even tried to answer BSM's challenge (to my limited knowledge), I rest assured the evidence doesn't exist.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology