ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 22nd July 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
tube
Muse

Bigfoot Body in Georgia!

Recently a website appeared called Bigfoottracker.com:

http://www.bigfoottracker.com/

Run by a police officer named Matthew Whitton, the website claims to have a Bigfoot Body! Adding to the sensational nature of this story, officer Whitton was recently shot in the line of duty:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met..._shooting.html

A number of YouTube videos from Bigfoottracker have been uploaded and are found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RDYER678

One video, now deleted, showed officer Whitton meeting an individual identified as "Paul VanBuren", allegedly a PhD who was to examine the Bigfoot body. Shortly after this video was posted, an attentive individual posting as "Nightwing" on the Bigfoot Discussions forum did some Internet sleuthing, and discovered the identity of "Paul VanBuren":

http://bigfootdiscussions.invisionzo...post&p=1396885

It's a bizarre and convoluted hoax, but it does shed light on how Bigfootery has always considered police officers as sources of unimpeachable testimony, especially when it comes to eyewitness accounts of Bigfoot.

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Cobalt
Tobikan Judan

Great. I'm glad I'm usually not in Clayton.

It is interesting that because a police officer said it, it's supposed to be more credible. As if they're somehow not capable of being mistaken or dishonest.
Old 23rd July 2008, 06:08 AM   #3
imjohn
Critical Thinker

LOL
imjohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2008, 06:15 AM   #4
madurobob
Philosopher

Damn, I was hoping our creekfreak had finally struck paydirt.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:11 AM   #5
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Someone else reposted the video that Ric Dyer (RDYER678) removed (presumably after that thread was posted). Here it is:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The "scientist flying in" sequence starts around 3:54, "Van Buren" appears around 4:50 and runs to 8:40. (With a slight detour to ask an airport employee if they would vote for Bigfoot if he ran for President. !!!)

Last edited by krelnik; 23rd July 2008 at 09:16 AM.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:33 AM   #6
krelnik
Graduate Poster

The connection between officer Whitton and the bigfoot website has made the local papers too.

http://www.news-daily.com/main.asp?S...rticleID=24626

Quote:
A Clayton County Police officer, and his friend, claim to have the body of a Bigfoot.
Quote:
The Clayton County Police Department responded to the news with an official statement giving the department some distance.

"That's his own personal business," said Police Chief Jeff Turner. "That has nothing to do with the business of the Clayton County Police Department. As long as he's not engaged in any type of illegal activity, his business is his business."

Turner said it is against department policy for any officer to represent himself or herself online, as an officer or anything other than an individual, private citizen, and said he does not know that Whitton has violated that policy.
Quote:
In one video, posted online by "RDYER678," Whitton and Dyer interview a "pathologist" who is shocked at the Bigfoot, but then, in a follow-up video, the pair admits the "doctor of pathology" is actually Whitton's brother. Standing in a kitchen, Whitton's brother says to the camera, "Live and let live. What happened to that? Guys just trying to have a little fun, you know?"

Dyer said the claims are not a prank, though, and not just an attempt to have fun. Reached on his cell phone Tuesday, he insisted the body is real and will be unveiled on Sept. 1 on the web site.

"Why would we jeopardize Matt's job? Why would we risk the embarrassment of the backlash that we would get? We just have a lot to lose if this is a hoax ... I thought Bigfoot trackers and hunters were ridiculous and I made fun of them, to be honest, and I still do. They know nothing as fact. We do," Dyer said.

Dyer said the Internet announcement and the obvious lie were meant to draw detractors and "build hype."

This one just links to the story above...
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/fre...ots-dead-body/
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:37 AM   #7
krelnik
Graduate Poster

If anyone else is disturbed that an officer of the law is defrauding the public with bigfoot nonsense like this, you might want to let his employer know. I did.

I pointed out to the police chief the fraudulent "primate expert" video that I linked above. I also pointed out another video posted under the RDYER678 YouTube account titled "POLICE SHOT BIGFOOT TRACKER" in which he is pretty clearly identified, in violation of the policy mentioned in that news article.

Here's the contact page for the Clayton County Police Department:
http://www.claytonpolice.com/Directory.htm

If you do call or write: be civil, polite and above all BRIEF. These are busy professionals trying to keep people safe, show them some respect.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Kilgore Trout
Wuse

Browsing the bigfoottracker site I noticed they offer $500 ($100 non refundable deposit) expeditions: "EXPEDITION WITH FORMER ARMY RANGER GUIDE RIC DYER WHO WILL LEAD YOU TO THE BRINK OF A BGFOOT [sic] ENCOUNTER." So, you're brought to the brink of an encounter, but not a full encounter. If they were running a brothel, I imagine they wouldn't have much return business.
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:55 PM   #9
kakariki
Student

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
So, you're brought to the brink of an encounter, but not a full encounter. If they were running a brothel, I imagine they wouldn't have much return business.
Bwah!

So, maybe it's sort of a tantric Bigfoot expedition.
kakariki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2008, 03:57 PM   #10
TiaH
Scholar

I am less concerned about Bigfoot (feet) breeding than I am about these nutballs breeding! And what's up with the arm? Did Bigfoot chew it off? I could barely watch the video. The "busy scientist" really cracked me up! Comedy is a wonderful thing!
TiaH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2008, 06:19 PM   #11
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TiaH View Post
I am less concerned about Bigfoot (feet) breeding than I am about these nutballs breeding! And what's up with the arm? Did Bigfoot chew it off?
Check the second link in the very first message in this thread. Dunce #1 is actually a police officer, and his wrist was injured in a robbery a few weeks back. There's even a video about it in their YouTube account where he plugs his bigfoot website from his hospital bed!
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:36 PM   #12
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Those guys are full of crap, but this one is real!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2008, 03:30 AM   #13
ReverendLes
New Blood

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Those guys are full of crap, but this one is real!

I AGREE
I always suspected Bigfoot had a criminal past
ReverendLes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2008, 03:59 AM   #14
krelnik
Graduate Poster

No wonder that police officer is so interested in catching him!
Old 24th July 2008, 05:20 AM   #15
Freethinker
Graduate Poster

Imagine you are a defense attorney whose client was arrested by this officer. Every single time he goes on the stand he's going to be asked about this, and the video will be presented. It will be used to bring his credibility into question.
"Did it indeed seem probable, as he had once overheard Dunbar ask, that the answers to the riddles of creation would be supplied by people too ignorant to understand the mechanics of rainfall? Had Almighty God, in all His infinite wisdom, really been afraid that men six thousand years ago would succeed in building a tower to heaven?"

Thoughts of the Chaplain in Heller's Catch-22
Freethinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2008, 05:57 AM   #16
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I find it amusing that this is coming out of Clayton. This county's leadership is so corrupt and incompetent that their public school system is in the process of losing its accreditation.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:39 AM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This whole thing looks more like a satirical joke than a hoax with serious intent. It's set up to mimic the Bigfoot expeditions run by BFRO (Matt Moneymaker) and Searching for Bigfoot (Tom Biscardi). The claim of a body is similar to things Biscardi has promoted in the past.

The Bigfooter community is going bonkers over this. That may be the whole idea for doing it. It wouldn't be the first time somebody created a "hoax" to show how ridiculous Bigfootery is. Penn & Teller faked a Bigfoot encounter to demonstrate how gullible and strange the believers can be.

Nobody has confirmed that these guys are actually taking money from anyone for anything. So far it seems more weird than funny. The follow-up YouTube videos by these guys shows them laughing amongst themselves and confessing to their own gags. But we do still have a Bigfoot body. LOL!
Old 24th July 2008, 10:34 AM   #18
krelnik
Graduate Poster

So this might be the first documented application of Poe's Law to the bigfoot genre? Interesting.

Oh, I got a reply from the Police Chief:

Quote:
Thank you for your concern and rest assured that the police department is looking into the situation. Have a blessed day.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:28 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe not the first. Penn & Teller produced an elaborate Bigfoot hoax with the intent to fool the believers. It worked, in spite of them filming an off-the-shelf Bigfoot costume. It was done as a "hoax" to be later revealed as such to show the gullibility of believers.

This Georgia thing seems to be targeted at the Bigfoot believers. These guys did not publicly announce that they have a Bigfoot body in a way that would be realistic. Launching a website and making a YouTube clip is not the same as contacting the mass media and/or scientific institutions because you have a Bigfoot body. The content of the website and videos are so ridiculous that it's hard for me to think about this as being something I would call a hoax. The "articles" in The Onion are not hoaxes - they are satires, parodies and comedy.

Many of the devoted BF believers are angry about this even after the YouTube confessions. There is nothing to talk about concerning Bigfoot so they talk about this. They call these silly jokers fools, idiots, scammers and lawbreakers. LOL. Anything to take the spotlight off of the obvious... Bigfoot is quite obviously nothing more than a myth and a hobby for an odd subculture.

The Georgia guys say that two specific Bigfoot books are full of lies. Huh? The central thesis of those books is that Bigfoot exists. You are the first people to possess a Bigfoot body and you say that those books are bogus? WTF?

Q: What did the three-legged tortoise say to the yucca plant?

A: I don't even want to hear the answer. I will tell you that you are a fraudulent, lying hoaxer before you can even say another word. Tortoises cannot speak and yucca plants cannot hear. I'm going to contact your boss to tell him about the bullcrap you are spreading on the world. It isn't funny!
Old 24th July 2008, 12:41 PM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
Thank you for your concern and rest assured that the police department is looking into the situation. Have a blessed day.
Send a copy of that to the County Board complaining that Da Chief is peddling theistic belief to people he doesn't even know. Police Chief wants God to bless your day, and his Deputy has a Bigfoot body under a plastic sheet. LOL.

My personal astrologist told me that Bigfoot is nothing more than a myth. Her attitude is typical for a Leo.

Last edited by William Parcher; 24th July 2008 at 12:42 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2008, 02:10 PM   #21
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
(snip)
Q: What did the three-legged tortoise say to the yucca plant?(snip)
Um..."Do you accept tips?"
Old 24th July 2008, 02:48 PM   #22
TiaH
Scholar

Talking

Originally Posted by krelnik View Post
Check the second link in the very first message in this thread. Dunce #1 is actually a police officer, and his wrist was injured in a robbery a few weeks back. There's even a video about it in their YouTube account where he plugs his bigfoot website from his hospital bed!
Thanks! I checked out that link, but I just couldn't stick with it. There is only so much cracker-infested yahoo bull I can stand in one day.
TiaH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2008, 03:11 PM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Um..."Do you accept tips?"
You've heard it before. He did ask exactly that.

It put the yucca into a dilemma of sorts. As a rule, yuccas do not accept tips. But besides that, all yuccas had assumed that tortoises could not speak. Further, all tortoises had assumed that yuccas could not hear anything. Yet, here was an instance where a tortoise spoke to a yucca and the senses worked on both sides of the living world. Alas, it was not a joyous new world order.

The yucca was stunned at the sound of a speaking tortoise. Surely this must have meant that tortoises were capable of speech but had always concealed this from the yuccas. The yucca could see that this tortoise was missing a leg. This handicap must have put him into an existential mental state. He had discarded the bindings of social norms as he struggled to trek out on the parched sands with a missing leg. The truth is that tortoises always tip and they never speak to yuccas. He never meant to bring harm to the yucca plant.

The yucca had a brand new complex problem. If he told the other yuccas that a tortoise spoke to him they would never believe and begin to treat him as a woo. They wouldn't even ask him if he took the tip and if he had saved it or spent it. He thought of seeking out the mother of the tortoise and telling her that it surely must be illegal for tortoises to speak to yucca plants. But that would then reveal to the tortoises that yuccas had ears. What to do?

The yucca decided that the best plan was to throw a plastic tarp over the tortoise voice and tell the other plants that the truth about tortoise speech would be revealed on September 1st. I have tortoise words under the plastic!

Moral of the story: Nobody finds disconnected tortoise legs in the desert, so they should not then just go ahead and think that Bigfoot doesn't exist.
Old 24th July 2008, 08:42 PM   #24
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Send a copy of that to the County Board complaining that Da Chief is peddling theistic belief to people he doesn't even know.
In Clayton County, Georgia?

Yeah, that will work.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:11 PM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Of course it won't work.

Quote:
Thank you for your concern and rest assured that the board is looking into the situation. We understand the law concerning separation of church and state. Please note that this is county, not state. Have a blessed day.
Old 26th July 2008, 11:05 PM   #26
tube
Muse

Our friends in Georgia have a new YouTube masterpiece up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNp-AjCOO4w

At about 1:07 into the vid they overlay "100% fake" over Patty. This strikes me as something the "heel" would do in pro wrestling, so now I have to wonder if this wasn't a well thought out media stunt from the very beginning. First get some attention, then ratchet up the trolling to get MORE attention.

Hey, maybe these guys are channeling Beckjord from beyond, and running plays from his playbook...

(Bigfoot) evidence doesn't look better on deeper analysis, it looks worse. David Daegling

The Bigfoot hypothesis is tested daily.
tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2008, 10:16 AM   #27
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

These guys posted their first video on June 28th. Only three days later, a video from BFNYGIRL gets posted slamming the BFRO. It uses the same production style and fonts as the Georgia guys. At the end it announces support for bigfootrackers.com.

It was probably made by the Georgia guys.
Old 28th July 2008, 08:01 AM   #28
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's interesting that these guys do not have anything specific to say to strong Bigfoot skeptics. Instead, they have targeted critiques at those who already do believe in Bigfoot.

Instead of saying "For those folks who insist that Bigfoot is a myth, we have...", they say Coleman, Meldrum and the BFRO are wrong about Bigfoot. They are focused on ridiculing BF believers, not skeptics.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:43 PM   #29
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

If it wasn't for the claims of a furry body being frozen in ice, I'd swear that the "body" they're going to unveil would be a concise debunking that'd kill the concept of Bigfoot for the general public.

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2008, 06:44 PM   #30
Cleon
King of the Pod People

You know, as odd as it sounds, it's nice to have a bit of famous woo in Georgia that, for once, is not Jesus-related.
Old 28th July 2008, 08:59 PM   #31
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Georgia cop takes aim at the giant bullseye on bigfootery's butt.

Would you like to know more?

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 11:31 AM   #32
manofthesea
2wu4u

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post

Would you like to know more?
Yes. Do they have a forum? I'm thinking that something as innocuous as a fingerprint could be lifted and posted. You know, something that can be debated and analyzed.

(I'm trying to keep it easy, I could have asked for a footprint, which could then be easily authenticated against the prints already in researchers' possession.)
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2008, 11:04 AM   #33
Chains
New Blood

Make fun all you want, but this is the real deal folks.

I'm sure of this because the Sasquatch Detective, Steve Kulls using his 20 years of investigative experience has put his seal of approval on the story.
His ability to smell a hoax is unparalleled in the Bigfoot community.

If you doubt that, just ask him, he'll tell you.
Chains is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2008, 03:36 PM   #34
Kilgore Trout
Wuse

Originally Posted by Chains View Post

Perhaps it is the anosmia prevalent in the Bigfoot community that contributes to the lack of Bigfeet found.
Old 3rd August 2008, 07:31 PM   #35
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by Chains View Post
Make fun all you want, but this is the real deal folks.

I'm sure of this because the Sasquatch Detective, Steve Kulls using his 20 years of investigative experience has put his seal of approval on the story.

If you doubt that, just ask him, he'll tell you.
Three alarm post at skeptic forum:

1) Use of the words "real deal."

2) Appeal to authority. Authority is titled "Sasquatch Detective."

3) Invitation to take Sasquatch Detective's word for it.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2008, 06:42 AM   #36
Drewbot
Illuminator

It looks like this one is the real deal, Biscardi says so:
http://searchforbigfoot.org/index.ph...7&st=0&start=0
Quote:
Looks like tom verified tonight that those guys in Ga are for real, looks like alot of longtime bigfooters are gonna be eating their words and oweing these guys an apology because apparently they are the best bigfoot finders in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2008, 07:52 AM   #37
quarky
Banned

Are bigfoots christians?
quarky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 12:10 AM   #38
manofthesea
2wu4u

Bingo! There's a picture of the purported sasquatch in the General Discussion Forum thread at BFF. I believe that the posted picture is a 'captured frame' of a video that was posted by these guys.

They're apparently starting to produce evidence.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 01:39 AM   #39
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
It looks like this one is the real deal, Biscardi says so:
http://searchforbigfoot.org/index.ph...7&st=0&start=0
Well, that settles it for me ( not)

There is no question in my mind this is specifically targeted at BF "believers" and specific organizations/individuals.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2008, 01:54 AM   #40
Steelmage
Muse

When I read the title, I though what is Bigfoot doing in the Georgia/Russian conflict, then I go "oh the state", . Still how dumb do these guys think people are when they are doing this video. I would think even most BF believers would know this is BS.
Steelmage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal