ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th July 2008, 05:51 AM   #1
JFrankA
Illuminator

Touch Healing at UConn.

Sorry, I read this and just had to vent.

Today there was an article on the front page in my hometown newspaper, The Hartford Courant, about a doctor there who has proof that touch healing works. Here's the article.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc...,1160381.story

Of course, I'm sure the doctor is either wrong, lieing or has fooled herself with her tests but it just really bothers me that this ended up on the front page. Just very frustrating....
Old 28th July 2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

Tried to find the article, but it's in press.
Gronowicz, G, A. Jhaveri, L.W. Clarke, M.S. Aronow, T.H. Smith, 2008. Therapeutic Touch stimulates the proliferation of human cells in culture. J Alternative Complementary Medicine; 14(3); in press
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Acleron
Master Poster

There's this abstract:-
J Orthop Res. 2008 Jun 3; : 18524012 (P,S,E,B,D) Therapeutic touch affects DNA synthesis and mineralization of human osteoblasts in culture.

[My paper] Ankur Jhaveri, Stephen J Walsh, Yatzen Wang, Marybeth McCarthy, Gloria Gronowicz

Quote:
Developed by Dr. Dolores Krieger and Dora Kunz, Therapeutic Touch is one of these CAM practices and is a highly disciplined five-step process by which a practitioner can generate energy through their hands to promote healing.
They don't seem to doubt anything.

The newspaper report seems to make out that she was skeptical of TT. Was she so bereft of ideas for research that she had to make at least two grant applications and finally obtained $250,000 for research into something she didn't believe in?
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 02:48 AM   #4
JFrankA
Illuminator

It just seems to me that just needed the grants or she was looking for some kind of notoriety.

Also, I actually haven't found the study that's described in the article. So far, seems like no one else has either....

Last edited by JFrankA; 29th July 2008 at 02:50 AM.
JFrankA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 03:04 AM   #5
JJM
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jeff Corey View Post
Tried to find the article, but it's in press.
Gronowicz, G, A. Jhaveri, L.W. Clarke, M.S. Aronow, T.H. Smith, 2008. Therapeutic Touch stimulates the proliferation of human cells in culture. J Alternative Complementary Medicine; 14(3); in press
http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:18370579

Considering that this is a bottom-feeder's magazine, I have my doubts. I think I can get it online.

ETA: Unfortunately, the journals are not available, to me, from home. Unless something is clearly wrong in the abstracts, one cannot say much.

Last edited by JJM; 29th July 2008 at 03:39 AM.
JJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 03:12 AM   #6
JFrankA
Illuminator

That's the thing, you guys found the abstract, (and thanks), but what about the actual experiment?

I want to know the difference between what a person does who's "trained" in this compared to someone who isn't. I want to know what that "trained" person did differently, other than think concerned thoughts, than the untrained person did.

Also, what kind of energy is produced? Why is it different between a "trained" person and an untrained person? If it is energy it should be measured somehow. And if this is true, then is there another way of simulating this energy

That's what I want to see. So far, it's just a summary.

It just seems to me that this can't happen.

Last edited by JFrankA; 29th July 2008 at 03:13 AM.
JFrankA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 03:47 AM   #7
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JFrankA View Post
That's the thing, you guys found the abstract, (and thanks), but what about the actual experiment?

I want to know the difference between what a person does who's "trained" in this compared to someone who isn't. I want to know what that "trained" person did differently, other than think concerned thoughts, than the untrained person did.

Also, what kind of energy is produced? Why is it different between a "trained" person and an untrained person? If it is energy it should be measured somehow. And if this is true, then is there another way of simulating this energy

That's what I want to see. So far, it's just a summary.

It just seems to me that this can't happen.
Welcome to the WWW (Wonderful World of Woo)

Your comments and suspicions are well founded but these geeks can shout SCIENTISTS PROVED IT. The problem is that a scientist has found some results that, at face value, appear to prove a hypothesis. Now one of the papers has/is to be published in JACM, which JJM correctly described as not very good. The other paper is in J Orthop Res, does anyone know the stature of this journal?

As to the data itself, one glaring omission is any mention of blinding. Strangely, some blinding is mentioned in the newspaper report, I would expect that to be the other way round.
Anyway, without blinding, the results may warrant further study but prove little else.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2008, 05:49 AM   #8
JFrankA
Illuminator

Oh, I've been in this world for a while.

That's why seeing this on the front page of the paper upset me....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology