IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags monty python

Old 30th July 2008, 01:09 AM   #1
FireGarden
Philosopher

Thwow him to the fwor, Centuwion!

The Reverend Stuart Bell, that is:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7530542.stm

Quote:
Sue Jones-Davies, who played Brian's girlfriend in the movie, was amazed when she became mayor of Aberystwyth that it was still barred from cinemas.

But the Reverend Stuart Bell said Christians he spoke to in Ceredigion were still against it being shown.

The mayor declined to respond, but will still press for the ban to be lifted.

[...] Ceredigion council has the power to lift it, but a spokesman said earlier this month that no-one in the licensing department knew about the ban.

But Michael Davies, the owner of Aberystwyth's Commodore Cinema, said he was sure it was still in place.
Yes I did have a better title for this thread planned, but I checked on wiki, which leads to this BBC story from a few weeks a go. They stole my title!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7514423.stm

Quote:
She's not the messiah, she's the mayor of Aberystwyth and she has a plan.

B'tselem
Tony Karon's blog
FireGarden is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Brian-M
Daydreamer

So, the owner of a cinema thinks it's banned, but the local licensing committee knows nothing about it? Could the cinema owner be mistaken?

(I wonder how many other mayors have appeared naked in movies?)
Brian-M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2008, 11:06 PM   #3
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

A trimmer is your friend, sweetie.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 12:59 AM   #4
FireGarden
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
So, the owner of a cinema thinks it's banned, but the local licensing committee knows nothing about it? Could the cinema owner be mistaken?

(I wonder how many other mayors have appeared naked in movies?)
The mayor and the Reverend would have to be mistaken, too.

B'tselem
Tony Karon's blog
FireGarden is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 01:01 AM   #5
FireGarden
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
A trimmer is your friend, sweetie.
Are you talking about juniper bushes?
They were in fashion back then.

B'tselem
Tony Karon's blog
Old 31st July 2008, 01:20 AM   #6
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FireGarden View Post
Are you talking about juniper bushes?
They were in fashion back then.
Whatever you want to call them.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 03:30 PM   #7
JenseitsDavon
Thinker

I'm particularly fond of this quote from the article:

Quote:
He said: "If someone was going to make fun of my wife in a film then I would oppose that.

"Making fun of Jesus Christ, whom I love more than my wife, in a film is going to offend me."
How's the phrase go? "If you love him so much, why don't you marry him?"
JenseitsDavon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 03:51 PM   #8
Btodd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JenseitsDavon View Post
Btodd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 04:19 PM   #9
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

That was mine as well.

I wonder if he's actually seen the movie. On the surface, it doesn't poke at Jesus at all, and folk who have issues of this nature never seem to be able to get past the surface anyhow.

On the other hand, I'm always a little put-off by folk who can't handle this kind of humor. I'm certain they laugh quite heartily at jokes that mock anything and everything else. Gays, minorities, ethnicities, other religions.

It's all funny until it's "my woo".

Now taking bets on the Clinton Indictment!
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Newsflash, died on a cross, rose from the dead and took His Own Self off of the elibible bachelor market by ascending to Heaven and sitting at the right hand of God, who is Himself. He's beside Himself with amusement, methinks, that you'd think He'd be marriage material for much of anyone.

Guinness: it does a brain cell good.

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 31st July 2008 at 05:39 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2008, 05:35 PM   #11
applecorped
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NquFVO44lvg

"He's a very naughty boy. Now go away!"
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 12:13 AM   #12
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

That is actually what nuns and, to a certain extent, monks do, when they become nuns and monks.
Old 1st August 2008, 01:05 AM   #13
bobhope2112
Thinker

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Newsflash, died on a cross, rose from the dead and took His Own Self off of the elibible bachelor market by ascending to Heaven and sitting at the right hand of God, who is Himself.
Did not.

Wait. Sorry, I read that as edible bachelor. My mistake.
bobhope2112 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 01:39 AM   #14
neutrino_cannon
Master Poster

I recall reading that banning the film was quite a popular thing to do, back in the day. Even towns without cinemas would ban the film.

"Man would have been too happy, if, limiting himself to the visible objects which interested him, he had employed, to perfect his real sciences, his laws, his morals, his education, one half-the efforts he has put into his researches on the Divinity"

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Necessity of Atheism
neutrino_cannon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 01:59 AM   #15
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Ah man. I love my University town, but it has a ban on that?

Then again it does have a church on every other sodding street.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 10:15 AM   #16
AgeGap
Master Poster

If they showed the film I would go to watch it. Any other takers?
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 11:09 AM   #17
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by bobhope2112 View Post
Did not.

Wait. Sorry, I read that as edible bachelor. My mistake.
Don't feel bad. That's how I read it the first time too. I thought DR was going for the "edible wafer" comment.

Now taking bets on the Clinton Indictment!
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 12:22 PM   #18
Moochie
Philosopher

Banning Life of Brian? That's sacrilege!

M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2008, 12:55 PM   #19
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
Banning Life of Brian? That's sacrilege!

M.
Yes, these Christians have a long tradition of sacrilege against the Blessed Python

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy