ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:13 AM   #1
RSL's better half
RSL Groupie

RSL in hospital

Hello, Everyone.

I just wanted you to know that my hubby will be out of commission for a while. Robert suffered a stroke last night (8/4). Some bleeding showed up in the cat scan, and it's in an inoperable place - dead center in the brain. The good news is that it is draining somewhat into the spinal cord. The stroke has left him paralyzed on the left side - the blood is mostly on the right side of the brain.

Right now we are in a "wait and see" phase. He is in CCU at a local hospital, and I'm told he'll likely be there a week. (Before anyone asks, no - he can't have flowers in the CCU.) He may go on from there to a rehabilitation facility where he may learn how to get the strength back on his left side. That, however, is too far down the road to think about now. There will be another cat scan to see if he is still bleeding or if it has stopped.

I will try to keep you posted on his progress, but news from me may be slow in coming. Please think good thoughts or pray if you are of the mind to. God bless you all.

Susan

Edit: Please read on. As of 8/11, there has been some progress. Robert is doing better.

2nd Edit: Address for well wishing:
Robert Lancaster
c/o StopSylvia.com
3129 S. Hacienda Blvd. #622
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745-6304
"If all those people knew what an insignificant, worthless, undeserving person I really am, they wouldn't ask me for advice on laundry detergent, let alone their lives and spirituality." - Sylvia Browne

Last edited by chillzero; 13th February 2009 at 03:52 AM.
RSL's better half is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Wolrab
Illuminator

Sorry to hear that. They can do wonderful things with stroke victims these days. Best wishes.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:16 AM   #3
logical muse
LogMu

Susan,

Please pass on my best wishes to Robert. I hope he has a swift and complete recovery.
logical muse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:25 AM   #4
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

My thoughts are with you both, Susan. Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you beyond thinking good thoughts.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:25 AM   #5
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

My very best wishes to you both.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:25 AM   #6
hcmom
Tagger

*hcmom hugs Susan

hcmom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:26 AM   #7
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Why does this sort of thing always seem to hit the wrong people?

The Fates have got some 'splaining to do.

Hoping for a quick recovery.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:28 AM   #8
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

My thoughts are most definitely with both of you. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:33 AM   #9
cj.23
Master Poster

I am so very sorry to hear this.

Prayers with you both, and if there is any way we can help with anything you need I'm sure many, many folks will do their best for you. Robert is much loved, and we wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Now you take very good care of yourself, and send him our best.

love cj x

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

I'm really sorry to hear that and hope he recovers well. Best wishes to you both.
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:33 AM   #11
kittykatkarma
Mew and improved

Very sad news. My thoughts are with you both.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:34 AM   #12
Lisa Simpson

Oh, I am so sorry. Both of you will be in my thoughts.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:34 AM   #13
crackers
Muse

I am very sorry to hear this. At the Mid-Atlanteans meeting this past weekend, we were mentioning him and what an awesome person he is. I will be hoping that he makes a quick recovery!
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:38 AM   #14
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I hope this turns out well and he has a speedy recovery. Best wishes to both of you.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:38 AM   #15
jond
Illuminator

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear this. RSL is a vital voice for reason, and we need him back ASAP. Stay positive!
jond is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:38 AM   #16
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs to both of you.
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:42 AM   #17
Ersby
Fortean

Sorry to hear that. Here's hoping for the best.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:42 AM   #18
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That is certainly a scary thing to deal with. My best thoughts for both of you.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:45 AM   #19
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the bad news, Better Half. I look forward to much better news soon.

Meanwhile, be a "bad patient"* on RSL's behalf, and make sure he gets the best possible attention!

*technical term--actively advocating for their care, and not passively accepting mediocre treatment.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:45 AM   #20
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Oh no!

Robert means so much to me and this community - may he make a full and complete recovery.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:47 AM   #21
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

Awful news - I'll be thinking of you both.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:53 AM   #22
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

[As an aside, I am going to be spending the next year or so interviewing stroke patients and their relatives about aspects of their care]
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:55 AM   #23
dustbunny
Thinker

All my best for you and hopes for a speedy recovery. I wish you all the best. Robert deserves that for his tireless work. Take Care.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:56 AM   #24
Senex
Philosopher

I wish Robert the speediest of recoveries. Both of you are in my thoughts.

Life is unfair.

Last edited by Senex; 5th August 2008 at 06:58 AM.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 06:58 AM   #25
HarryKeogh

Most Valuable Forum Member ever.

He has educated so many people in such a kind, thoughtful manner without ever resorting to cheap tactics or name-calling when dealing with the people he exposes.

I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery.
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:00 AM   #26
Georg
Graduate Poster

Best wishes to both of you.
Georg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:01 AM   #27
Mick Houlahan
Thinker

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Mick Houlahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:03 AM   #28
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

My thoughts to both of you, also. A truly fine man with a wonderful wife. If there is anything you need help with, please ask for it. We don't make empty offers.
Old 5th August 2008, 07:06 AM   #29
Minarvia
fading orb

My best wishes and thoughts go out to you both. Try to keep positive! I hope this is not an inappropriate thing to say but when my dad had his first stroke at 59 he recovered completely. And medical care and knowledge is so much better now.
Plus he has YOU to recover for! Blessings to you both. (((((HUGS))))
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:08 AM   #30
Dragonrock
Militant Elvisian Tacoist

Location: Kotzebue, Alaska. A.K.A. Santa's first stop on his way out.
I'm so sorry to hear about Robert. Please tell him that he needs to recover because Ed knows what mischief Sylvia will get up to without him keeping an eye on her.

He is an amazing man and if I had a quarter of his drive I'd be unstoppable.

There is no God but the Great Taco In The Sky and Elvis is his prophet.
Dragonrock is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:11 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thanks for letting us know, and best wishes for a speedy and as full-a-recovery as possible.
Old 5th August 2008, 07:11 AM   #32
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Minarvia View Post
My best wishes and thoughts go out to you both. Try to keep positive! I hope this is not an inappropriate thing to say but when my dad had his first stroke at 59 he recovered completely. And medical care and knowledge is so much better now.
Plus he has YOU to recover for! Blessings to you both. (((((HUGS))))

I also hope he gets well.

And I second the above about the quality of treatment these days. Another good friend of mine had a stroke a few years ago, and has recovered about 90% or more of his abilities. I hope RSL does as well, or better!

Please let him know we're thinking about him. And tell yourself that too!
Old 5th August 2008, 07:13 AM   #33
prewitt81
Notoriously Glorious

Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
He has educated so many people in such a kind, thoughtful manner without ever resorting to cheap tactics or name-calling when dealing with the people he exposes.
Absolutely right. All the best to both of you.

"If we want to teach the Moon is green cheese then we'll do it!" -- Eric Hovind defending his father's pro-creationist stance. (http://www.kent-hovind.com/)

"Believe those who seek the truth. Doubt those who find it."

prewitt81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:21 AM   #34
e-sabbath
Critical Thinker

You are absolutely right that there's amazing things that can be done to help stroke victims these days. Stay cool, stay dedicated, and stay confident. Eventually, with a small modicum of luck, it is possible to have a very close to full recovery.
e-sabbath is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:23 AM   #35
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Don't hesitate to ask for any sort of help you need.

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 5th August 2008, 07:24 AM   #36
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know, under what must be extreme circumstances. I have never contributed before to threads such as this (I never know what to say) but in this case I must submit that the world needs Robert Lancaster. I stand in awe of how he goes about his important business with incredible patience and grace. I hope he continues to display both during what I hope will be a a full and remarkably quick recovery.
Old 5th August 2008, 07:25 AM   #37
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

That's awful news.

Here's hoping that he'll benefit from today's wonderful medical care. Keep goin' RSL - we need you.
Blue Bubble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:35 AM   #38
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Really sorry to hear about this.

Best wishes to you and RSL.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:37 AM   #39
Kochanski
Illuminator

Location: Anonymous Unimportant Place (not a secret Scorpion training facility for Shosuro ninjas)
Please send him my wishes for an excellent recovery. Both he and you will be in my thoughts. I will be hoping that we will have another reason for saying Thank Goodness for the benefits of excellent medical care.

Hugs for you and Robert too
http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Kochanski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2008, 07:38 AM   #40
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Hugs and best wishes to RSL, and to his better half.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal