ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags actor , movie , remake

Old 21st August 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Danny Kaye and The Secret Life of Walter Mittty

Like Abbott and Costello I grew up watching a lot of Danny Kaye. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is one of my favorite films. I have heard that it being remade and am, to say the least, apprehensive about the actor that ha to fill those shoes. Knowing that it Mike Myers is not comforting after his latest film, The Guru, died a quick and deserved death at the box office.

From Wiki:

Born David Daniel Kaminsky to Jewish Ukrainian immigrants in Brooklyn, Kaye became one of the world's best-known comedians. He spent his early youth attending Public School 149 in East New York, Brooklyn, before moving to Thomas Jefferson High School, but he never graduated. He learned his trade in his teen years in the Catskills as a tummler in the Borscht Belt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec...tty_(1947_film)

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty:

The remake of the film (more accurately a new film adaptation of the original short story) has a troubled on-again off-again history. At first, producer-directors Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg, with a host of screenwriters, and Kevin Anderson as Mitty, were going to re-do the film, but it fell through. Then it was to be made at Paramount Pictures, by producers Samuel Goldwyn, Jr., his brother John Goldwyn, and Richard Vane, with director Mark Waters and Owen Wilson cast as Mitty, with a screenplay by Richard LaGravenese. It was supposed to be released in 2007. It has since been taken over by 20th Century Fox, with Mike Myers in the title role, and scheduled to be shown in 2009.
Old 21st August 2008, 06:46 PM   #2
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

***The Love Guru****
Old 22nd August 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I dunno, but remaking that one seems a little like redoing The African Queen with Harrison Ford or something.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Tricky
Briefly immortal

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was a short story, and a very short short story by James Thurber. How Danny Kaye managed to take that character and morph him into a whole movie is one of the greatest miracles of Hollywood.

For my money, The Court Jester was his best movie. As a kid, I really liked his variety show. He was a very good singer too.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Gagglegnash
Graduate Poster

Hi

The movie that was groovy had the awe and guffaw;
The remake with the mistake has the mule that's a fool.

Okokok - best I could do on short notice.
-----Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787
Gagglegnash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2008, 05:21 PM   #6
LibraryLady
Emeritus

I'm sorry, but I just cannot stand Mike Myers. He makes me nauseous.
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:10 PM   #7
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Mike Myers is fine as Mike Meyers. He is no Danny Kaye.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:16 PM   #8
HistoryGal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was a short story, and a very short short story by James Thurber. How Danny Kaye managed to take that character and morph him into a whole movie is one of the greatest miracles of Hollywood.
Another Thurber fan? Yes! Did you ever watch "My World and Welcome To It"?

I really don't want to see Mike Myers in a Thurber story. I really, truly don't.

Quote:
For my money, The Court Jester was his best movie. As a kid, I really liked his variety show. He was a very good singer too.
No argument from me on that score.

"I'm the incomparable Giacomo, king of jesters and jester of kings."

"What manner of man is Giacomo? Ha ha! I shall tell you what manner of man is he. He lives for a sigh, he dies for a kiss, he lusts for the laugh, ha! He never walks when he can leap! he never flees when he can fight (thud) oop! He swoons at the beauty of a rose. And I offer myself to you, all of me. My heart. My lips. My legs. My calves. Do what you will -- my love endures. Beat me. Kick me. (kiss, kiss) I am yours."

(And I bet you thought I'd do the chalice from the palace bit, eh?)

HG
HistoryGal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:24 PM   #9
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post

A recent ebay splurge:

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts