ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 4th April 2009, 04:27 PM   #41
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

LMAO

Yeah one might think that the elk tracks in the impression might have harshed their buzz too.... guess not.
Blackdog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:44 AM   #42
Drewbot
Philosopher

http://www.heesy.com/uploads/Heesy_2...ilosophers.pdf

Does anyone have access to the entire book review (Legend Meets Science)? I can only get the second page, and it is pretty scathing.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 11:37 AM   #43
Drewbot
Philosopher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1reu...layer_embedded

Dr. Meldrum at Honobia Conference 2008, 1 Hour long, presentation on the Yahren.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2009, 09:19 AM   #44
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

What is the anatony of a Sasquatch foot and how does it function? By Dr. Richard Eisner. Salem, Massachusetts, June 2009.

Quote:
In conclusion, I simply feel that Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum's theory is incorrect and also not supported by the data.
Old 30th June 2009, 01:09 PM   #45
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Dr. Meldrum seems to be pretty quiet these days..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2009, 06:53 PM   #46
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Shot out the saddle again

As I have said before- his next book needs to be

Sasquatch, Meldrum meets Science
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 12:59 AM   #47
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What is the anatony of a Sasquatch foot and how does it function? By Dr. Richard Eisner. Salem, Massachusetts, June 2009.
Eisner did the blogtalk radio show "Bigfoot Quest" in August of last year. Here's the show:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Bigfoot.../bigfoot-quest

It's actually very difficult to listen to as it's pretty bad radio, particularly in the beginning. It's also right before the revelation of the Georgia hoax so there is a lot of hope and excitement coming from many of the people talking.

There's also mention of a John Cartwright foot fetish.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 08:39 AM   #48
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Eisner did the blogtalk radio show "Bigfoot Quest" in August of last year. Here's the show:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Bigfoot.../bigfoot-quest

It's actually very difficult to listen to as it's pretty bad radio, particularly in the beginning. It's also right before the revelation of the Georgia hoax so there is a lot of hope and excitement coming from many of the people talking.

There's also mention of a John Cartwright foot fetish.
Foot fetish...good one!

Dr. Eisner has actually debated with Dr. Meldrum on the phone regarding the mid-tarsal break theory. He might have mentioned it during that show, I cannot remember. Dr. Eisner is a regular in the chat room for Bigfoot quest his blog talk name is FootDoc.

If it matters, I do not subscribe to the mid-tarsal break theory.

Last edited by WGBH; 1st July 2009 at 08:54 AM.
WGBH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 04:57 PM   #49
makaya325
Banned

Bigfoot takes pictures of Chuck Norris.
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 05:08 PM   #50
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I'd bet all my Bert's Bigfoot Suit Rental™ late charges and my 420 Bazooka Joe™ comics that Dr. Meldrum just wishes Bigfoot and anything and everything to do with 'it' would just go the **** away. I doubt we even want to know the hours he's spent agonizing over the stupid-stupid-stupid idea of him going public with his (for all intents and purposes) 'belief' in Bigfoot.

I'd not be surprised to find out he's already switched sides. If he hasn't, or won't, something that could happen is: Probably not in the near future, but a little later in his career, possibly when he knows he closer to death, and of course there's still no Bigfoot, he's going to 'certify' in some kind of scientific manner, something, maybe a print, a hair, a bone, definitely something not easily repulsed by laymen, as genuinely Bigfoot. It's an almost no lose proposition. At the worst it helps him. At best it exalts him. And he gets the last laugh. The ******!
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 05:18 PM   #51
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I'd bet all my Bert's Bigfoot Suit Rental™ late charges and my 420 Bazooka Joe™ comics that Dr. Meldrum just wishes Bigfoot and anything and everything to do with 'it' would just go the **** away. I doubt we even want to know the hours he's spent agonizing over the stupid-stupid-stupid idea of him going public with his (for all intents and purposes) 'belief' in Bigfoot.
I can see that being the case. I know I feel that way sometimes.
Old 1st July 2009, 06:23 PM   #52
makaya325
Banned

I'd not be surprised to find out he's already switched sides. If he hasn't, or won't, something that could happen is: Probably not in the near future, but a little later in his career, possibly when he knows he closer to death, and of course there's still no Bigfoot, he's going to 'certify' in some kind of scientific manner, something, maybe a print, a hair, a bone, definitely something not easily repulsed by laymen, as genuinely Bigfoot. It's an almost no lose proposition. At the worst it helps him. At best it exalts him. And he gets the last laugh. The ******!
Why do you say that? According to media articles and tv programs, he seems like a fanatic, hellbent on proving it exists and ignoring scientific skepticism
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 06:56 PM   #53
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

If he hasn't, or won't, something that could happen is: Probably not in the near future, but a little later in his career, possibly when he knows he closer to death, and of course there's still no Bigfoot, he's going to 'certify' in some kind of scientific manner, something, maybe a print, a hair, a bone, definitely something not easily repulsed by laymen, as genuinely Bigfoot. It's an almost no lose proposition. At the worst it helps him. At best it exalts him. And he gets the last laugh. The ******!
From what I've seen, the standard tactic for proponents who realize that Bigfoot doesn't exist and don't want to admit it (or switch to the paranormal explanation) is to say that they've given up on looking for evidence and now want to devote their efforts to protecting "those magnificent animals."

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 07:01 PM   #54
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by AtomicMysteryMonster View Post
From what I've seen, the standard tactic for proponents who realize that Bigfoot doesn't exist and don't want to admit it (or switch to the paranormal explanation) is to say that they've given up on looking for evidence and now want to devote their efforts to protecting "those magnificent animals."
Not really AMM. The standard tactic is to conclude bigfoot is not an animal because it can not be found, and to say its an alien/shapeshifter/etc
Old 1st July 2009, 07:14 PM   #55
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
If it matters, I do not subscribe to the mid-tarsal break theory.
I still find it hard to believe Krantz used a cast of a cast to come up with a foot structure, which Meldrum then ran with...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 07:15 PM   #56
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by makaya325 View Post
Not really AMM. The standard tactic is to conclude bigfoot is not an animal because it can not be found, and to say its an alien/shapeshifter/etc
My example specifically refers to people who don't want to go that route (and those who don't want to admit that Bigfoot doesn't exist).

AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2009, 09:30 PM   #57
makaya325
Banned

My example specifically refers to people who don't want to go that route (and those who don't want to admit that Bigfoot doesn't exist).
Its called Denial AMM, lol. While some may know bf doesnt exist, they will refuse to admit it, and will instead jump to different theories: Kind of like iceberg hopping: We can only hope that they face the truth when they all melt.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:42 PM   #58
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

That's funny. Actually, I feel bad for the guy - not that he can't take care of himself. He's just gone too far out on a limb (as a 'scientist') it seems.

Is the 'Mid-tarsal Break' theory is his alone? That one never made real sense to me. Especially in light of the fact there's been barely a print that exhibits anything even resembling such a feature. It's a viable theory for a heretofore unheard of primate trait, AND a common anatomical feature of a heretofore unknown and otherwise unseen primate? To paraphrase a classic - "First time formulating a theory...doctor?" Seems he missed class that day they taught theorizing.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2009, 03:20 PM   #59
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Is the 'Mid-tarsal Break' theory is his alone?
As far as I know, yes.

Quote:
That one never made real sense to me. Especially in light of the fact there's been barely a print that exhibits anything even resembling such a feature.
I recall that he first came up with the theory upon discovering a trackway where some of the tracks showed only the front part of the foot being impressed in the ground. Boith myself and others have pointed out that this sounds like a trackway consisting of overlaid bear tracks and some non-overlaid front paw tracks.

Outside of that, the only other tracks that are said to have this feature are some tracks found by Paul Freeman (which appear to be overlaid bear tracks) and a single track associated with the Patterson-Gimlin filmsite (which has other explanations).

Old 12th November 2009, 10:12 AM   #60
Drewbot
Philosopher

Is this investigator Curt Nelson, the same as the DNA Doctor that they used to test the DNA at the cabin, featured in Monsterquest?

http://www.sasquatchillustrationproj...-01/4533189920
Old 12th November 2009, 10:23 AM   #61
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Seems to be him. BFRO goes to Oklahoma 2001.

Quote:
EXPEDITION TEAM
Roger Roberts, Private Investigator (Oklahoma) -- Expedition Leader and Coordinator
Brett Elliott, Full-time Military (Oklahoma) -- Expedition Executive Officer, Logistician
Alton Higgins, Assistant Professor, Biology (Oklahoma) -- Lead Scientist, Experiment Coordinator
Reid Nelson, Anthropologist (New Mexico) -- BFRO Curator Representative, Primate Studies Consultant
Curt Nelson, Research Microbiologist (Minnesota) -- Field Researcher, Science Consultant
Dan Nedrelo, Biologist & Wildlife Photographer (Wisconsin) -- Field Researcher, Wildlife Consultant
Mike Simpson, Clergyman (Alabama) -- Field Researcher, Base Camp Operations
Jackie Castillo, Retired Nurse (Arkansas) -- Camp Nurse, Assistant Field Researcher
Aaron Simpson, Student (Alabama) -- Assistant Field Researcher
Old 12th November 2009, 10:30 AM   #62
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

On BFD...

Originally Posted by Jeff on BFD
Does anyone know where Curt Nelson stands regarding the possibilities of sasquatch?
Originally Posted by Stacy Flowers
I'm not sure if he still is, but he at least used to be BFRO, along with his brother Reid (Reed?).
Originally Posted by uffda
Yeah, I was gonna say, Curt Nelson is with the bfro.
Originally Posted by Judaculla
Formerly BFRO. He and the BFRO parted ways in 2005. He has no love for Matt.
Old 5th January 2010, 09:13 AM   #63
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

ISU Headlines

ISU anatomy professor Meldrum, author of 'Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science,' interviewed for appearance on 'Today Show'

Quote:
"My intent was to portray the science behind the legend, and point out the accumulating trace and physical evidence that a growing number of scholars and professional scientists are giving objective consideration, both publicly and privately," Meldrum said.
Who are these "growing number of scholars and professional scientists"?
Old 5th January 2010, 09:30 AM   #64
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

ISU Newsletter

Quote:
Dr. Jeff Meldrum presented his paper, "A survey of footprints attributed to the Yeti: Is the Himalayan mystery on firm footing?" at the American Association for the Advancement of Science - Pacific Division (AAAS-PD) meetings held in San Francisco, August 17-19, 2009.

"Is the Himalayan mystery on firm footing?" Do you think his answer to his own question was no?
Old 6th January 2010, 08:14 AM   #65
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Fools and their money...

Quote:
Dr. Jeff Meldrum received an award of $7125 from Fidelity Investment (Richard Stepp) for the North American Ape Project (NAAP) 2007: Sasquatch in the Central Rockies and the Colorado Plateau.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 08:16 AM   #66
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Jeff Meldrum was awarded a grant in the amount of $23,000 for Field investigation of
Sasquatch in southern Colorado, by Fidelity Investments (with University Research
Committee match)
Sounds like nice work if you can get it...

Old 6th January 2010, 08:32 AM   #67
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The Whopper with cheese....

Quote:
$130,000 to Dr. Jeff Meldrum, from the Mayfield Foundation in support of Meldrum's project titled "North American Ape Project (NAAP): 2008." The North American Ape Project (NAAP) seeks to detect and collect evidence through support from the Mayfield Foundation. This will be undertaken primarily by means of hair snags monitored by camera traps. In addition, fieldworkers will record vocalizations, document tracks and sample associated scat. Habitats will be analyzed for availability and distribution of food resources.
Old 6th January 2010, 08:48 AM   #68
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Dr. Jeff Meldrum received an award of $11,900 from Dr. Richard Stepp/Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund for his research “Sasquatch in the Central Rockies.”
I knew he was getting money, but wow! No wonder he belives in sasquatch!

He must be over a quarter mill by now...

Old 6th January 2010, 08:51 AM   #69
Bitter Monk
Thinker

The Whopper with cheese....
I'd call that the Royal with cheese.

ThePonderingPossum.com
Bitter Monk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 08:53 AM   #70
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm...Whitewolf Productions...

Quote:
Dr. Jeff Meldrum received a grant of $12,000 from Fidelity Investments for the project “Sasquatch in the North Cascades.” He was also awarded matching funds and equipment totaling nearly $5000 from Whitewolf Productions and associated sponsors.

Old 6th January 2010, 08:56 AM   #71
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Jeff Meldrum • A field investigation of sasquatch in the North Cascades Fidelity Investments, $11.2K
Quote:
Dr. Jeff Meldrum received a $4000 award from Dr. Richard Stepp via Fidelity Investments, for continuing fieldwork under the North American Ape Project.
I think we can dispense with any arguments about funding or science regarding sasquatch...

Old 6th January 2010, 09:00 AM   #72
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I have record of all known grants and awards to him. I think it's approaching $200K. It's not entirely clear because the editors of the ISU Newsletter and ISU Headlines are slackers.

His listed monies do not include book sales or payments for speaking at various events and television productions.

Current Grant Funding
Meldrum. Varioius Private Donations. Hypothesis: An unrecognized primate responsible for footprints.

LOL. Alternative Hypothesis: A recognized primate responsible for footprints.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:02 AM   #73
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Whitewolf Productions is Doug Hajicek/"Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science"/MonsterQuest.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:05 AM   #74
WGBH
Graduate Poster

Don't forget monies he's earned selling plaster foot casts copies at Bigfoot symposiums. I have personally seen the feeding frenzy around his Bigfoot carnival tent.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:08 AM   #75
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Then there is other funding specific to work with his collection of plaster casts...

Quote:
Jeffrey Meldrum, Project Title: Three-Dimensional Virtualization of Footprints, Fund Agency Name: Regal Ridge, Total Award: $4545.00

Quote:
Dr. Jeff Meldrum has received matching awards totaling $10,000 from Thomas & Susan Stepp and John Green funding the project, 3D Virtualization and Archiving of Footprints.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:20 AM   #76
The Shrike
Illuminator

I have record of all known grants and awards to him. I think it's approaching $200K. It's not entirely clear because the editors of the ISU Newsletter and ISU Headlines are slackers.
Nice work. I agree that there is value in this information for countering the whole "we can't get money to study bigfoot" nonsense.

Folks should bear in mind, however, that if this is money ISU knows about, then it's not like Meldrum can use this to trick out his office jacuzzi. Presumably, all of those smaller grants were given to him in response to some kind of a proposal. Thus, he's bound to actually do the things he outlined in each proposal, e.g., use the money to travel to some museum, buy some piece of equipment, hire staff to pore over endless stealth cam video. Two hundred grand wouldn't last very long for a field study. It's likely that ISU is taking overhead (~ 50% off the top is typical) for any grant over $5000. I pay $900/month for a truck, plus $0.45/mile. A graduate student runs the professor ~ $30 -$40k annually.

Yes, there is an obvious, material benefit to Dr. Meldrum continuing in his bigfoot delusions. But that doesn't mean that he's personally making money through his "research." His books, sure. But if he's actually doing what he claims to be doing in terms of his research program, he'd eat through $200k very quickly.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 09:33 AM   #77
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I agree that there is value in this information for countering the whole "we can't get money to study bigfoot" nonsense.
But it won't function as a real counter when you get right down to the local folks who make up the fabric of the folktale. I'm talking about the Okies, Texans and Ohioans who would insist that their turf is chock full of Bigfoots and would be even easier to survey than the PNW or Rocky Mountains.

Does anyone know who owns that big collection of plaster casts in Meldrum's lab? Is it him, or the ISU?
Old 6th January 2010, 09:40 AM   #78
Drewbot
Philosopher

You mean, there might be a grad student somewhere at Idaho State University, helping Dr. Meldrum with his Bigfoot research? Imagine the tail that dude pulls at the Pocatello Pub on quarter beer night.

$$$

($$$= Cool Underground Stuff.)
Old 6th January 2010, 09:41 AM   #79
Bitter Monk
Thinker

Does anyone know who owns that big collection of plaster casts in Meldrum's lab? Is it him, or the ISU?
I'm almost certain it is his personal collection. IIRC Krantz willed his own extensive collection to Meldrum when he passed.

The last I checked the average cost was around $40 for a cast replica. I've amassed my own collection via horse trading with others. Cast replicas are the de facto baseball cards of the bigfoot world.

ThePonderingPossum.com
Bitter Monk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2010, 09:45 AM   #80
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You see Shrike, a Bigfooter could still say that "we can't get money to study Bigfoot for anywhere other than the PNW and Rockies". Look at the sighting map. Meldrum needs to set up funded projects on the other side of the country.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sight map.jpg (50.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by William Parcher; 6th January 2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: switched to smaller map
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal