ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th November 2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Adding a picture as a background on Microsoft Works Word Processor

I am trying to add a picture of Dante's Divine Comedy to the background of a page I am writing, with the writing over the image rather than above or below. However, If I add a text box it simply wipes part of the image clear, leaving a white space for me to write in. That's not what I want, I want the words clearly written over the image.

How do I do so?
Old 10th November 2008, 08:48 AM   #2
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Go to the drawing toolbar and click on "draw." Choose "order" and "send to back."
Old 10th November 2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks, but I don't have a drawing toolbar. Just File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tools and Table.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:14 AM   #4
jsiv
King of Svalbard

Is there not a "text wrapping" option somewhere when you have the picture selected? Maybe in a Format/Layout menu or if you right-click it? In Word, the type of wrapping you want is called "behind text".
Old 10th November 2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, I found a box in format that says 'Send to back', however, it is non-activated (It won't allow me to activate it by being black) and it will not activate even if I click on the image.

P.S, No, I got it to activate, but clicking 'send to back' does nothing. I drag the image over the text but they all scuttle out of the way.

Last edited by Undesired Walrus; 10th November 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2008, 09:47 AM   #6
jsiv
King of Svalbard

Yeah, you can only send objects forward/backwards (at least with Word). Text isn't an object unless it's inside a text box.

What you are looking for is text wrapping, which controls the flow of text around objects (like pictures).
Old 10th November 2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Ya mean this?

Old 10th November 2008, 10:06 AM   #8
jsiv
King of Svalbard

That sucks. Maybe Works doesn't have the option.

In Word it looks like this:

Not an ideal solution, but what if you put your text inside a text box and just place that over the image?
Old 10th November 2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

That does suck. What version do you have?
Old 10th November 2008, 11:47 AM   #10
jsiv
King of Svalbard

This is Word 2007. I guess maybe it's one of the things they took out to make Works cheaper.

If you don't need 100% Office-compatibility, you could always give OpenOffice Writer a try. It's a lot cheaper than Word.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:04 PM   #11
pingnak
Thinker

Microsoft Works is Bundleware GARBAGE. Microsoft provides it as a way for computer manufacturers to bundle something 'free' (or nearly so) that sort-of looks like they gave you useful tools.

Try OpenOffice.org. It is the real deal, and it it free.

You will still need Works temporarily, as virtually no other Office Suite, not even Microsoft Office will import a MS Works document. You are THAT boned. You will need to copy/paste the contents of a Works document to an OpenOffice document.

In Works :
Press Control+A (Select All)
Press Control+C (Copy to clipboard)

Now go to OpenOffice (or MS Office or WordPad):
Press Control+V (Paste from clipboard)

OpenOffice will let you set a background image trivially. It also has a drawing program that will let you free-form mix images and text.

Last edited by pingnak; 10th November 2008 at 12:16 PM.
pingnak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks man.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:17 PM   #13
jsiv
King of Svalbard

Office handles Works files fine.

But yeah, OpenOffice is pretty decent (and presumably you don't have to deal with advanced Office files where compatibility is somewhat lacking anyway, or you'd already have Office?)

The text box thing should work though, as a quick workaround.
Old 10th November 2008, 02:55 PM   #14
Mahatma Kane Jeeves
Future New Forum Member

You want to Format the Text Box and change the Transparency to 100%. This is separate from Text Wrapping.
Mahatma Kane Jeeves is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2008, 06:10 AM   #15
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
I am trying to add a picture of Dante's Divine Comedy to the background of a page I am writing, with the writing over the image rather than above or below. However, If I add a text box it simply wipes part of the image clear, leaving a white space for me to write in. That's not what I want, I want the words clearly written over the image.

How do I do so?

Hello,

As i can see , the patchwork nature of MS has already been mentioned. I would start by clicking the HELP function and seeing what it says there. But if you go to the 'search on the web' option for HELP make sure that you are getting information about the MS product and version that you are using. (Like MS Word 2003, vs MS Word 2007)

There are so many strange glitches in MS as well, there are tiimes a function will not work and times that they will, sometimes it is best to save the text in a seperate file. Shut down the program and try again, sometimes it even helps if you restart the whole computer. Strange but true, MS gets settings and stuff goobered up all the time. Functionality of features often gets hung up and a restart of the program or the machine will often help.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 12th November 2008 at 06:12 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet