ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:40 AM   #1
contingent
Student

Carbon Dating, Uranium Dating

My Roomate claims this:
"The process of radiological dating has several intrensic flaws, the most glaring of which is that it assumes set levels of the isotopes measured between samples origionally. For example, in U238 dating, the U238 decays into lead. The only problem with dating samples based on the ratio of the two is that lead occurs natrually, and often in the company of uranium and other heavy metals. The ratio of natural lead to uranium is not constant ether, as lead can occur with little or no radiological involvement.
Basically, there is no way of predicting the actual decay time on the remaining U238, as extra natural lead is everywhere and probably with the uranium wherever it may manifest. This same inaccuracy is inherant in all other methods of radiological dating. Nothing says that the levels of carbon 14 are or were constant at any point in history, or that the levels of solar radiation that cause the isotope in the atmosphere were ever constant."
contingent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 12:58 AM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I have to go now - I'll be back a little later, but for now I'll suggest that you get your roomate to look up "Isochron Dating".

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Scazon
Thinker

Carbon dating has been calibrated against other methods (dendrochronology, artifacts of known provenance, annually layered sediments and so on). It has been complicated by the use of fossil fuels and nuclear testing, as well as known problematic periods, for example one associated (perhaps) with the end of the last ice age.
Scazon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Spud1k
+5 Goatee of Pedantry

Originally Posted by contingent View Post
The only problem with dating samples based on the ratio of the two is that lead occurs natrually, and often in the company of uranium and other heavy metals. The ratio of natural lead to uranium is not constant ether, as lead can occur with little or no radiological involvement.
I'd like to hear how he can back up the two bolded statements. Specifically, I'd like to know how lead can end up in the same mineral as uranium if it didn't come from radioactive decay and whether he can produce examples. Also, there's the fact that the technique involves comparing the 206 and 207 isotopes of lead, which would fall apart if what he said was true.

"Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error" - Thomas Jefferson
Spud1k is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 02:55 AM   #5
Tubbythin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by contingent View Post
Basically, there is no way of predicting the actual decay time on the remaining U238, as extra natural lead is everywhere and probably with the uranium wherever it may manifest. This same inaccuracy is inherant in all other methods of radiological dating. Nothing says that the levels of carbon 14 are or were constant at any point in history, or that the levels of solar radiation that cause the isotope in the atmosphere were ever constant."
The half-life of Uranium-238 is very well known and pretty straightforward to measure.
As pointed out previously, carbon-14 levels are cross-checked with tree-ring data and such.
Tubbythin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 02:55 AM   #6
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_lead_dating

Originally Posted by Scazon View Post
Carbon dating has been calibrated against other methods (dendrochronology, artifacts of known provenance, annually layered sediments and so on). It has been complicated by the use of fossil fuels and nuclear testing, as well as known problematic periods, for example one associated (perhaps) with the end of the last ice age.
The two layered sediments with the best information are varves and ice cores. The ice cores are especially important for determining Carbon isotope ratios in the atmosphere in a given year.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 04:38 AM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Spud1k View Post
Specifically, I'd like to know how lead can end up in the same mineral as uranium if it didn't come from radioactive decay and whether he can produce examples.
And in fact how one can tell whether any specific sample of lead that is mixed in with uranium came from radiological or non-radiological sources. Is there an easily-discerned difference?

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 04:40 AM   #8
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Here's the skinny on isochron dating, by the way:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/isochron-dating.html

- Randall Munroe
Old 19th November 2008, 08:42 AM   #9
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And in fact how one can tell whether any specific sample of lead that is mixed in with uranium came from radiological or non-radiological sources. Is there an easily-discerned difference?
Yes. You won't find any lead in Zircon from non-radiological sources.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 09:55 AM   #10
ben m

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Uranium decays to one specific lead isotope, 206Pb; non-radiological lead is a particular fairly-constant mixture of about 50% 208Pb, 25% 207Pb, and 25% 206Pb.
ben m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 09:56 AM   #11
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Contingent, here is a good general reference on all things radiometric dating...

Radiometric Dating and the Geological Time Scale

That site also contains many common creationist objections to radiometric dating, such as your roommate has mentioned, plus the rebuttals to those arguments.

When in doubt, search Talk Origins
Old 19th November 2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

The short explanation is that the "problem" that's described in the original post is exactly why radiometric dating is only used in specific circumstances where the original values are known (usually because one of them started at zero). Many rock formations can't be measured this way because they don't happen to have any minerals with known convenient starting points like that, but the ones that do can.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 05:09 PM   #13
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Your roommate might get something out of this site:

Radiometric Dating: A Christian Perspective
Old 19th November 2008, 10:38 PM   #14
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Your tax dollars at work.
USGS publication on Geologic Time.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2008, 10:41 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Yes. You won't find any lead in Zircon from non-radiological sources.
Originally Posted by ben m View Post
Uranium decays to one specific lead isotope, 206Pb; non-radiological lead is a particular fairly-constant mixture of about 50% 208Pb, 25% 207Pb, and 25% 206Pb.
I did not know that. Thanks.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology