ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st November 2008, 05:15 PM   #1
EGarrett
Illuminator

The law of gravity necessitates a God.

I know you atheist scum don't like to hear this, but I have to confront you with the truth.

Look at the world around you, you will observe that there is a law of gravity. Everything that we see rests upon something else. If something is lifted, it must be LIFTED by something. Otherwise, it drops.

But according to our observations, the earth itself rests upon nothing. Therefore, LOGIC necessitates an unlifted lifter. This is God.

I hope my point is clear.
Old 21st November 2008, 05:20 PM   #2
The Drain
Master Poster

Sounds fair enough. My previous skepticism is overturned. You can count me as one of your converts.
Old 21st November 2008, 05:21 PM   #3
jimtron
Illuminator

Count me in as another one of your converts. Your logic is iron-clad.
Old 21st November 2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Zep
Banned

But... Who is holding up who is holding the thing that holds up the Earth?!!!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 05:24 PM   #5
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

It's elephants all the way down.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

Well, creationists have known all along what truthers have only recently discovered. We'd need a source of gravity, otherwise burning buildings would never collapse on their own. Everyone knows that without God, skyscrapers would fall UP.
Old 21st November 2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Third Eye Open
Graduate Poster

I'm sorry, but you have it backwards.

It is the fact that things fall that is unnatural. Look in space, everything floats!
The reason we don't float down here on earth is because something is holding us to the ground.

That's right, intelligent falling. The only logical alternative to gravity. Curvy space? Bent time? This is all non-sense. Any rational person can see that someone must be holding us down!

And for any being to be holding us down, he must have LOTS of arms, or appendages.

The evidence of this can be seen from the fact that humans have been getting taller. This is because there is more of us now, and it is more difficult for him to push down on all of us as hard. Therefor midgets are obviously chosen.

Think about it? What kind of being could have enough appendages to hold us all to the earth, and appendages that are flexible enough to follow us wherever we go and get all tangled with each other.

Obviously it is none other than Our LORD the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

May HIS Red Sauce run thick, always

RAmen.
Third Eye Open is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 05:30 PM   #8
EGarrett
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
God by definition is the unlifted lifter. He must be, it's the only possible explanation. Don't you see?
Old 21st November 2008, 05:46 PM   #9
The Drain
Master Poster

Yup, I see. Like I told you, you've got me convinced.

Last edited by The Drain; 21st November 2008 at 06:28 PM.
The Drain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by EGarrett View Post
I know you atheist scum don't like to hear this, but I have to confront you with the truth.

Look at the world around you, you will observe that there is a law of gravity. Everything that we see rests upon something else. If something is lifted, it must be LIFTED by something. Otherwise, it drops.

But according to our observations, the earth itself rests upon nothing. Therefore, LOGIC necessitates an unlifted lifter. This is God.

Wow, man. That's heavy.
Tricky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Hokulele
Official Nemesis

You are too late.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

- Tragic Monkey
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 01:44 AM   #12
jimtron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Ooh, you had me, and now you lost me.
Old 22nd November 2008, 01:50 AM   #13
six7s
veretic

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
You are too late.
Time is an allusion
Old 22nd November 2008, 02:28 AM   #14
IndridCold
Student

Aren't you talking about the Sun? Doesn't the Sun hold us in place?
IndridCold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 02:38 AM   #15
theMark
Critical Thinker

Talking

Originally Posted by IndridCold View Post
That’s why I stopped reading that sorry excuse for a newspaper.

theMark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 02:40 AM   #16
not daSkeptic
Graduate Poster

Just so I'm on the same page as everyone else, which way is up from God's perspective?
not daSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 02:40 AM   #17
six7s
veretic

Heliocentricism? Pah! Any fule kno that Torquay is the timeless, motionless centre of the Universe
Old 22nd November 2008, 02:42 AM   #18
six7s
veretic

Originally Posted by daSkeptic View Post
Just so I'm on the same page as everyone else, which way is up from God's perspective?
The way his pecker goes when heathens like you prostrate themselves before him
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:39 AM   #19
Legend
Focu Meu!

I, like the Drain, am totally and utterly convinced there is a God.

Wow.

That has blown my mind.

The awes of logic.

I guess every atheistic professor that has studied the universe for decades are completely incorrect, and this foolproof theory will rock their beliefs at the very basis.

Theist intellectuals (who again have been studying these topics as focal points in their lives) will definitely be all over this one and add it to their arsenal of bulletproof ************.

Well done on a marvellous discovery Pr. E. Garrett.

Alex.

Last edited by Legend; 22nd November 2008 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
Legend is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:58 AM   #20
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
It's elephants all the way down.
UNBELIEVER! EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S TURTLES! STONE THE HERETIC!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 04:22 AM   #21
Legend
Focu Meu!

I love you people.
Legend is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:27 AM   #22
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I hope this is a troll. It would be sad if someone actually believed this.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:53 AM   #23
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
I hope this is a troll. It would be sad if someone actually believed this.
Sigh. Time to break out the dictionary.

Satire. Parody. They are the Twin Goddesses of internet humor.
Old 22nd November 2008, 06:10 AM   #24
Apathia
Illuminator

Unbelievers fail at having gravitas.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 06:30 AM   #25
Björn Toulouse
Cavitus Rectum

God by definition is the unlifted lifter. He must be, it's the only possible explanation. Don't you see?

OK, but that's all He does. Nothing else.

Belisarius
Björn Toulouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 06:39 AM   #26
Whiplash
Acting like a maniac

Originally Posted by Björn Toulouse View Post
OK, but that's all He does. Nothing else.

Well, it's all he can do to hold us up, and without him, we'd have nothing!.

Maybe that's why he can't find time to do any real miracles and heal amputees and so forth. The world is probably pretty damn heavy.
Old 22nd November 2008, 06:47 AM   #27
Cainkane1
Philosopher

You're not going to win friends and influence people with these lines. I think my point is clear you creationist scum. Actually that was a joke but you may take it seriously if you want to.
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:07 AM   #28
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Creationist scum, evolutionist scum, atheist scum... hell. How about you human scum?

Digital lifeforms FTW.
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:29 AM   #29
leonAzul
Illuminator

Someone open a window; the air is just getting too funky in here :-/
Quote:

Trying to make it real compared to what?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by leonAzul; 22nd November 2008 at 07:31 AM.
leonAzul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:36 AM   #30
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

There is, in fact, no law of gravity. At least, not here in Missouri. I have looked through the state statutes in detail, and I can attest that there is no statute or ordinance that states that all bodies have some shared attractive force, or that objects in Earth's gravity must fall at 33 fps squared, or any other such thing.
As far as the state of Missouri is concerned, you may freely float off into space.
(provided you don't litter on the way, or interfere with commercial airline traffic.)
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:36 AM   #31
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
It is the fact that things fall that is unnatural. Look in space, everything floats!
The reason we don't float down here on earth is because something is holding us to the ground.
No! You don't float because you SIN! Jesus never sinned and he could walk on water and fly up to heaven! You must turn to god before you burn in eternal HELLFIRE!

This thread rocks.

Quote:
There is, in fact, no law of gravity. At least, not here in Missouri. I have looked through the state statutes in detail, and I can attest that there is no statute or ordinance that states that all bodies have some shared attractive force, or that objects in Earth's gravity must fall at 33 fps squared, or any other such thing.
Gasp!
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:50 AM   #32
EGarrett
Illuminator

When you drop a pen, does it fall toward the sun?? Of course not!! We observe that things fall DOWN when they are not lifted. The earth and the "sun" do NOT fall. Thus we must have an Unlifted Lifter. We can observe this! We have no other explanation! It must be God. And don't you dare call it magic!

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
A good find, and a good idea, but it is not actually the same.

Originally Posted by Legend View Post
I, like the Drain, am totally and utterly convinced there is a God.

Wow.

That has blown my mind.

The awes of logic.

I guess every atheistic professor that has studied the universe for decades are completely incorrect, and this foolproof theory will rock their beliefs at the very basis.

Theist intellectuals (who again have been studying these topics as focal points in their lives) will definitely be all over this one and add it to their arsenal of bulletproof ************.

Well done on a marvellous discovery Pr. E. Garrett.

Alex.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
Sigh. Time to break out the dictionary.

Satire. Parody. They are the Twin Goddesses of internet humor.
Nonsense! What could I possibly be satirizing??

Last edited by EGarrett; 22nd November 2008 at 07:53 AM.
EGarrett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:27 AM   #33
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Being serious for a second, what do you say when people say "The laws of nature, the laws of gravity are proof there is a designer"?

The response is important, as many people tend to honestly believe this is rock solid evidence there is a designer.
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:38 AM   #34
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

It's pea-brained turtles all the way down!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:10 AM   #35
tomwaits
Master Poster

I prefer a large disc.

Held up by 4 elephants.

Standing on a giant turtle.

Whose sex is yet to be determined.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:21 AM   #36
Ausmerican
Illuminator

There is no such thing as gravity.

The Earth sucks.

That is all.
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:22 AM   #37
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

God and His attending angels.
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:35 AM   #38
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Unbelievers fail at having gravitas.
Gravitas and Cooper's droop... enemies of us all!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:50 AM   #39
kedo1981
Master Poster

"The law of gravity necessitates a God.

I hope my point is clear."

Moronic blather like this makes me want to come up with a stronger mocking response than LOLOLOLOLO

I readily admit I don’t know enough to say for sure that there is no God.
But I do know enough so say that anyone who claims to know the mind and will of a being such as God is a liar.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:10 AM   #40
learner
Graduate Poster

Re gravity; I get brewers droop. therefore there is no god. he/she couldnt be that cruel.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy