IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Bunch of rocks (and one numbskull) in the news

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...15171902?f=rss

Yep, I can see a big white unicorn eating a corn dog!

Any UKians heard of this before? Apparently this is Face on Mars comes home. Looking at the pictures and realizing that they're satellite imagery, you could probably find anything you want in fly-over pics of the Andes.
(But taking a cue from the Face on Mars dude, he's not telling anyone the coordinates... likely because he knows Phil Plait will get another satellite to fly by in different lighting conditions and come up with totally different images.)

ETA: Oh, really funny... The headline is that he's prepared to prove it. That would seem rather simple. Get down there and find evidence of man-made chisel marks and such. But no... he's got permission from the Peruvian government to do a closer fly-by and of course isn't telling us where. Do I hear "Geraldo - Giant Rocks" TV special in our future. He's looking for suckers to invest, I'm betting.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 4th December 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2008, 11:52 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Google Earth has a lot to answer for.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 12:04 AM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I saw a cloud that looked like an elephant once.

People live in the clouds and make pretty shapes for us to look at.
Old 5th December 2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

What gets me, although it shouldn't knowing what the fabled MSM puts on the air, is that in this week's or month's news, they cover some idiotic claim like this as news.

Mumbai, Thailand, BoE reducing prime rate to lowest in 50+ years, the economy, twenty-five major retailers probably going out of business in Q1, some black fellow elected president,.... and they report on some feeb who sees barely discernible shapes in pictures of the Andes!

I saw this over lunch on television here. It shouldn't get me as angry as it does, but there were a couple of twits oohing and aahing over the pics. All I could say was, "It's a rock, stupid!" I nearly got into a fight, but I brandished my forkful of fish and chips and drove them off.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Do "Deformed Rabbit", it's my favourite.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 04:37 AM   #6
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Hogwash recipe.
Take 2 tectonic plates. Push one under the other.
Add rivers and stir.
Smoke Marijuana while observing results.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
You made my day. Pterry deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature for that line alone.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Hogwash recipe.
Take 2 tectonic plates. Push one under the other.
Add rivers and stir.
Smoke Marijuana while observing results.
Which reminds me..... While trying to find this story on the web to post it here I ran across another, actually interesting one. Did anyone see the bit about the 2600 year old stash they found in the Gobi? Seems that they'd segregated the male/female plants so they only left the potent stuff and buried the guy with his weed for the afterlife.

I knew there was a reason I was in China.

Old 5th December 2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Big Les
Philosopher

This would be Mr William J. Veall, currently going by "Bill". This is his "project";

http://www.imagecare.co.uk/nascodex/
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Big Les
Philosopher

More here;

http://cibercentre.cat/SacredLamb/Home.html

Lamb my arse.

Last edited by Big Les; 5th December 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Wow!

Thanks (I think.... I'm now dizzy....), Big Les. Wonderful pseudo-scientific garbage. I gather from all of that that he's been at this a while. So I reckon he's going to get his 15 minutes.

Old 5th December 2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Steelmage
Muse

Okay, I do not see anything that they say is there on the mountain that they say is there.
Steelmage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2008, 06:42 PM   #13
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Which reminds me..... While trying to find this story on the web to post it here I ran across another, actually interesting one. Did anyone see the bit about the 2600 year old stash they found in the Gobi? Seems that they'd segregated the male/female plants so they only left the potent stuff and buried the guy with his weed for the afterlife.

This was many centuries before the invention of Doritos. What did they do when they got the munchies?
Old 5th December 2008, 06:49 PM   #14
screensnot
Scholar

Wow that is amazing. But, I wonder why he didn't mention the formations 12km NE of the two faces. The ones that looked like Donald Trump, G. W. Bush, and Simon Cowell having a circle jerk.
screensnot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2008, 01:49 AM   #15
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
This was many centuries before the invention of Doritos. What did they do when they got the munchies?
Fried won tons, grasshopper. You have many miles to go before your journey is complete, apparently.

Old 6th December 2008, 04:10 AM   #16
shadron
Philosopher

OK, just for grins I did a little analysis on the pics on Bro. Veall's images on his web page. On the first page he shows "altar" with the supposed writing on it; for those who are blind to his imagination, he shows another image on a "more..." page. The two are obviously extracted from the same image (first of all, no maps service is going to update some forgotten crag in the Andes very often, and for he second, all the snow patterns are identical). Now, Veall states at the bottom of the page that the images have been "lightly retouched to enhance definition for transmission over the Internet". Indeed. Unfortunately, the point of this all is in that "definition".

After rotating one image and then resizing it downward to match the other in resolution, here are the two images side by side:

Image3.jpg

The one on the left is the enhanced image on the second page. The enhancements include:
- touch up on the "letters" on the stone (apparently done in snow on the altar), particularly the first and third characters, but including all.
- all the surroundings except the altar are grayed out.
- the color on the altar is played up, particularly the green, which is only hinted at in the right image.
- the pic is stretched in the vertical direction about 12%, giving more room for the letters to be better depicted.

Now, NASA photo users enhance some of NASA's astronomical photographs (over and above the fact that many are false color images anyway) for more spectacular results in public consumption, but that's not really an attempt to deceive. This does appear to be. Why am I not surprised?

Shame on him for trying to con a poor country like Peru, anxious to get some tourist attention. Shame on them for believing him, if they bite.

Last edited by shadron; 6th December 2008 at 04:22 AM.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2008, 04:19 AM   #17
shadron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jhunter1163
Fried won tons, grasshopper. You have many miles to go before your journey is complete, apparently.
More likely fried grasshoppers, Won Ton, at least at a lower altitude. Though, you can't discount the Japanese connections there.

Last edited by shadron; 6th December 2008 at 04:25 AM.
shadron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2008, 06:09 AM   #18
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

It's just like the song says...

"Paredolia stikes deep..."

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2008, 06:55 AM   #19
Big Les
Philosopher

Shadron - you mind if I incorporate your analysis into my blog post? It's rather splendid.
Old 6th December 2008, 07:35 AM   #20
shadron
Philosopher

Have at it. PM or post the URL to your blog please. If you need an original of the image, just PM me.
Old 6th December 2008, 08:15 AM   #21
Confuseling
Irreligious fanatic

When even Sky News doesn't take you very seriously it's time to nestle back into the warm embrace of obscurity.

Join my petition. Fight the vile slurp spider scourge. Harass Darat. Can you afford not to?
Confuseling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2008, 09:04 AM   #22
biomorph
Muse

Of course there's always that hidden mystic message,

Answers on a postcard please......
biomorph is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2008, 11:38 AM   #23
Big Les
Philosopher

I love that! And thanks Shadron.
Old 6th December 2008, 12:04 PM   #24
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
Of course there's always that hidden mystic message,
How did you manage to circle the hand but miss the bleeding foot on the other side????!!11OmfG!1l;M!l

You've found Jesus' tomb.
Old 6th December 2008, 05:46 PM   #25
biomorph
Muse

Missed that! LOL

Damn bigfoot gets everywhere
biomorph is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2008, 02:26 AM   #26
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by shadron View Post
More likely fried grasshoppers, Won Ton, at least at a lower altitude. Though, you can't discount the Japanese connections there.
Ha! I thought of appending that to my post. Funny thing is, fried grasshoppers (more accurately crickets) are a snack at Chez Foolmewunz... my significant other eats them all the time when having beer. She refers to them (now, after I coined the expression) as "gecko food".

Old 8th December 2008, 05:59 AM   #27
sophia8
Master Poster

Looking at that 'sacred lamb' picture, all I see is a polar bear screwing a dolphin. (Honest)

(I am NOT drunk)
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2008, 02:35 PM   #28
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

A lamb, and an oryx. I'm pretty sure neither of those animals were anywhere near the Andes in 4000 BC. Of course, I'm sure that just proves that it was global civilization (probably from Atlantis) that carved the "sculptures". At least the face on Mars actually looked like a face with the right lighting conditions.

Wow! That looks like a lamb if you squint and cross your eyes. It's a sculpture!

Last edited by CORed; 21st December 2008 at 02:40 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:46 AM   #29
Autolite
Graduate Poster

Well, if you tilt your head to the right and squint your eyes a bit, it kinda looks like Annette Funicello on a bad hair day...
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:55 AM   #30
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I believe that find dated to the Chong Dynasty.

When they got to the tomb door, they heard a voice inside saying, "Dave's not here, man!"
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:41 AM   #31
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
I see giant pink rabbit on Earth...
http://googlesightseeing.com/maps?p=...002233,0.00655
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:27 PM   #32
JcR
Banned

Should I be paying more attention to my pet rock
after seeing this ?

Yes I have a pet rock... Keeps me lonely to.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal