ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags egyptology

Old 17th December 2008, 03:23 PM   #1
cj.23
Master Poster

Book of Vivifying the Soul Forever - fiction?

OK, here is an interesting one. A number of the webpages alleging links between Horus and Christianity cite often lengthy passages from a text supposedly called the Book of Vivifying the Soul Forever. (odd title to start with.) I can find no trace of this book, and note a lot of people suspect as I do that it never actually existed. Any sceptic with good google-fu or access to a good library and a bit of time care to try and track down the earliest mention or any bibliogrpahic details? ANET knows no such text.

cheers
cj x

My dull life blogged http://jerome23.wordpress.com
cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

I would recommend PM'ing GreNME, as he has put a bunch of time into researching the Horus thing. Most of it can be found on the Zeitgeist threads over in CT (sorry in advance), and he has a website posted up somewhere. Give me a few minutes and I will try to find some links.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:36 PM   #3
cj.23
Master Poster

Cheers Hokulele - I should talk to him. I spent a lot of time a few years back responding to Tom Harpur's claims, and of course Freke & Gandy. I'm more of a Mithras nonsense debunking chap myself as you may have gathered, but I have had a lot of run in with Acharya's people

Interestingly I think the book referred to is the Papyrus of Ani, a Book of Going Forth by Day or Egyptian Book of the Dead. Unfortunately I can't find the passages ascribed to it in the text of the ms! Still it's a start I guess?

cj x

cj.23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
LibraryLady
Emeritus

It is not listed on the Library of Congress catalogue or on Worldcat. I checked the 14 volume Encyclopedia of Religion with no luck. It is not mentioned in the Handbook of Egyptian Mythology or the Dictionary of African Mythology, The Ancient Gods Speak: A Guide to Egyptian Religion, or Legends of the Egyptian Gods.

I have a friend whose hobby is Egyptology (he also reads 14 languages). I'll ask him if he knows this book.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:43 PM   #5
cj.23
Master Poster

Thanks Library Lady, very much appreciated. I'm wondering if it might actually be a chapter title from E Wallis Budge's somewhat fanciful translation of an Egyptian Book of the Dead - sounds like his kind of chapter heading to me! It must be one of the most cited non-existent books, up there with HPL's Necronomicon, which at least had the decency to be admittedly fictional!

The original request came from Jeffersonian-Marxist over at www.richarddawkins.net/forum I'm just following it up as best I can for him.
cj x

Old 17th December 2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Actually, the book exists...I wrote it myself in one of my ancient past lives. However, as no major publishers would pick it up, I had to self-publish. It became something of a cult classic among a select minority of followers, but soon faded into obscurity.

However, if it is being re-published in modern times, in any form, I will have to take steps to ensure that I receive the appropriate royalties.

A little tidbit of trivia about it...it was originally intended as a cook book, entitled, "Book of Vivifying the Soup Forever"; however, an unfortunate (or fortunate?) typo led to the current title. Amazingly, everything I'd said about how to vivify soup turned out to be applicable in vivifying one's soul (in a very metaphorical sense, where the soul is equated to lumps and chunks of various food products floating in a savoury broth).

It was, you might say, the very first "Chicken Soup for the Soul"
Old 17th December 2008, 03:56 PM   #7
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by cj.23 View Post
Thanks Library Lady, very much appreciated. I'm wondering if it might actually be a chapter title from E Wallis Budge's somewhat fanciful translation of an Egyptian Book of the Dead - sounds like his kind of chapter heading to me! It must be one of the most cited non-existent books, up there with HPL's Necronomicon, which at least had the decency to be admittedly fictional!

The original request came from Jeffersonian-Marxist over at www.richarddawkins.net/forum I'm just following it up as best I can for him.
cj x
I'm at work, so I jaunted over to the shelf to get Budge's translation, but it does not appear in there, either in the table of contents or the index.
Old 17th December 2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

OK, here is the post where GreNME first jumps into the Horus/Christ fray.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...20#post2975320

There is some good stuff for the next several pages, and then all heck breaks loose (metaphorically speaking). I found another post where he lists his recommended reading. Be right back.

ETA: Here is the list of recommended reading. Oof!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...90#post3571990

Last edited by Hokulele; 17th December 2008 at 04:04 PM.
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2008, 05:02 PM   #9
LibraryLady
Emeritus

I checked the Invisible Library but it doesn't appear there.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts