ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Kthulhut Fhtagn
Graduate Poster

Thumbs down Atheism is Treason

Don't convert to save your soul! Do it for 'merica

Normally stuff like this doesn't even register on my radar; I'm free speech to the bone and just shrug off statements like this as patently inaccurate. Actually this one caught my eye because, according to what I'm reading, this sign could be a hoax. Now the sign itself is being attributed to one Reverend E.F. Briggs who, assuming my research is correct, the good reverend appears to have died back in 2006. This particular page was added about a week ago and links to another forum with similar pictures. Now it'd make sense for it to pop-up now considering the ongoing controversy of the atheist sign posted across the street from a nativity scene, particularly if you read the part at the top which reads "Attention: Lunatic Atheists & Their Lawyers". It also appears as if the good Reverend has made other signs bashing atheism so this sign wouldn't be out of character; save for his apparently irreversible case of deadness.

Hoax: Yay or Nay?
Kthulhut Fhtagn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:51 PM   #2
the PC apeman
Muse

I wonder where and when the photo was taken. The address mentioned (Monongah, WV) is a small community most notable for a historic coal mining disaster. The town is about two hours from me here in the state's capital. News here tends to cover our entire small state. I don't recall seeing anything on this. It's the sort of thing that would catch my notice.

Last edited by the PC apeman; 23rd December 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: poor driving time estimate
the PC apeman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Radrook
Banned

Insubordination
Radrook is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Insubordination
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 12:50 PM   #5
bokonon
Illuminator

I think that's what passes for a joke in Radrook's neck of the woods. Atheism isn't treason (betrayal of country), it's insubordination (refusal to be subordinate to God). LOL, right?
bokonon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by bokonon View Post
I think that's what passes for a joke in Radrook's neck of the woods. Atheism isn't treason (betrayal of country), it's insubordination (refusal to be subordinate to God). LOL, right?
Hmmm. A bit of a Scriptural thought on this:

Render unto Caesar that which is Ceasar's.

That's where treason fits, in the world of taxes, kings and laws.

Render unto God that which is God's.

This would be prayer, worship, and striving to live right by God's laws.

No, Atheism is Treason doesn't wash in America.

IF one actually lived in a theocracy, then maybe. Depends.

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

I'd rather be a traitor to these people, than a traitor to my reason or my own heart.
Old 24th December 2008, 02:41 PM   #8
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Hmmm. A bit of a Scriptural thought on this:

Render unto Caesar that which is Ceasar's.

That's where treason fits, in the world of taxes, kings and laws.

Render unto God that which is God's.

This would be prayer, worship, and striving to live right by God's laws.

DR
As Bernard Lewis points out in "What Went Wrong, the "render unto Ceasar..." phrase doesn't exist in the Koran, and -that- is the primary difference between Islam and the West.
EVERYTHING belongs to Allah, so atheism is treason in Islam.
A few more decades of capitalistic hedonism might have the effect of softening the hard line on unbelief, in Islam.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

According to the Snopes message board, the billboard is real, but Snopes itself has not done an article on it:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=3755

Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Insubordination
^Bigotry.

(Durr, hurr, hurr, one word responses, hurr.)
Old 24th December 2008, 02:49 PM   #10
bokonon
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post

Yeah, the thing kind of breaks down right out of the gate. Anti-God does not equal anti-American.

Unfortunately, there are some people who think it does. They're generally the same people who say things like "Katrina was sent to punish the sinful people of New Orleans." They think God rewards the devout and punishes those who stray from "the way." In their minds, it actually stands to "reason" that the more people go godless, the more likely it is that God's wrath will descend upon us all.

It is almost impossible to convince such people that they're mistaken.
bokonon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
I'd rather be a traitor to these people, than a traitor to my reason or my own heart.
Beautiful. Worthy of adding it to a signature.
Ron_Tomkins is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Beautiful. Worthy of adding it to a signature.
Old 25th December 2008, 08:30 PM   #13
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

"Traitors lead to Civil War"

If there is such a war, I think it is less likely that the atheists are going to be the ones to start it. It seems to me that the fundamentalists (of any religion) are the ones gearing up for a fight. And, that is what we must be wary of.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy