ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Closed Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:41 PM   #10161
AlaskaBushPilot
Master Poster

It was Yakima at one time, not sure about now. I believe I caught an article not long ago with him being involved in the wine industry in some capacity. He was referred to as the former paving company owner so that's him.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:58 AM   #10162
Sonny2
Muse

Thanks for the info. I have some relatives in Yakima, maybe I should ask if anyone knows him.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:35 AM   #10163
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Are Kit's documentary and discovery of the suit now off the table?
Where they ever really on the table?
Old 26th November 2012, 11:49 AM   #10164
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
Why ? Stand by your post or don't post at all. Kinda just wastes my time posting back to ya don't it.
I'm not sure what you're babbling about, mate. The comment I deleted wasn't directed towards you, it was a double-post, as far as I can tell, we weren't even engaged in any conversation to begin with, haha.

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 26th November 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 11:52 AM   #10165
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Do you have any specifics ?

Where this took place ? Who did he pretend to be ?
It took place here, I was told he was going by the name "CBengalensis," although, I don't have much in the way of evidence, but hey, evidence is lacking throughout this rumour-mill.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:54 PM   #10166
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
...the way the Roger Patterson story itself would - it's an amazing story really. A con man who has a fatal disease but pulls off the big score before he dies and leaves a legacy outlasting every scientist that scoffed at him. An ironic triumph/tragedy...
It is an amazing story. For numerous years I've accused Roger Patterson of being 'the smartest man in the room'. And he's been pulling it off in spite of the fact he's been dead for the last 40+ years. To tweak a now famous wisdom, 'smart is as smart does'. I suppose one can call him many things instead - lucky, stupid, fearless, shameless, whatever - but when you perpetrate a monster hoax and 44 years later it's still producing income because its veracity is still being questioned and 'studied', you've won, you've cosmically OUTSMARTED EVERYONE.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:07 PM   #10167
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
It is an amazing story. For numerous years I've accused Roger Patterson of being 'the smartest man in the room'. And he's been pulling it off in spite of the fact he's been dead for the last 40+ years. To tweak a now famous wisdom, 'smart is as smart does'. I suppose one can call him many things instead - lucky, stupid, fearless, shameless, whatever - but when you perpetrate a monster hoax and 44 years later it's still producing income because its veracity is still being questioned and 'studied', you've won, you've cosmically OUTSMARTED EVERYONE.
"Everyone" is a bit of a stretch.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:09 PM   #10168
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I suppose it depends on how you look at it. For me personally, Roger only outsmarted a few people in the grand scheme of things... The majority of the world either doesn't buy it or doesn't care.

I'm not saying he didn't create a great and iconic hoax, he did, but I think that has more to do with the gullibility and general "want" of the small section of the general public who want this kind of Monster Lore to be real.

Patty will always be an iconic image which most people can instantly recognise... but in the real world, most people just look at it and don't see the creative genius of Patterson, they just see a fella in a costume.

The image of Patty, and the "Surgeons" photo of Nessie are now Monster History, they'll go down as probably being the most used images in any Readers Digest editions known to man.

But most people don't see the story, they just see the fella in the costume. Therein lies the problem with Roger Patterson ever truly realising fame, even in death.
Old 28th November 2012, 05:16 PM   #10169
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

He outsmarted a relative handful of people.. I really don't see how that counts for much ..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:00 PM   #10170
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Gilbert Sundrome wrote:
Quote:
I'm not saying he didn't create a great and iconic hoax, he did, but I think that has more to do with the gullibility and general "want" of the small section of the general public who want this kind of Monster Lore to be real.
Yeah, Roger did a great job, with his "hoax"...

Some folks like it because they are "gullible"....and others like it, simply because Patty's movements/flexibility, and tight body contour are unlike any suit ever seen.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 28th November 2012 at 06:01 PM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #10171
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post

Yeah, Roger did a great job, with his "hoax"
Yes, the hoax was a success.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:13 PM   #10172
StankApe
Banned

There goes the neighborhood..........
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 06:15 PM   #10173
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Some folks like it because they are "gullible"....and others like it, simply because Patty's movements/flexibility, and tight body contour are unlike any suit ever seen.
Of course it's unlike any other suit; it's the first bigfoot suit ever.

Well, probably the first. Certainly the most successful because, as I'm sure you'll agree, it fooled lots and lots of folks into buying into the bigfoot craze. As silly as that is.

Glad you're on board.

Last edited by Resume; 28th November 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:01 PM   #10174
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Gilbert Sundrome wrote:

Yeah, Roger did a great job, with his "hoax"... http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...50-F370AG3.gif

I am pretty sure those making the film never dreamed it to be the film that ended up happening, ( well! crappy film but crazy following) Don't really seem like a lot was put into it to me, they got a suit rented a camera went for a horse back ride and filmed someone walking down the creek bed. In other words it just happened to be one of those ~ One in a million type things that somehow worked out ~ Nothing special just a fluke back in the day's of black and white when life was simple and boring, people needed a perk and they got the PGF.

Last edited by RedRatSnake; 28th November 2012 at 07:03 PM.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:08 PM   #10175
jerrywayne
Muse

Bottom line: No way simple Roger Patterson could fool Mr. Yeti.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:13 PM   #10176
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Most folks tend to fool themselves.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:46 PM   #10177
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Great suit indeed. It's head changes shape often, as seen in various clips.

It even makes outrageously large blinking motions as sy shows. Must be huge baggy eyelids, I guess.

I wonder what adaptation Roger was trying to convey? What are giant baggy eyelids good for?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 09:10 PM   #10178
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Or....no way a manipulated, and completely irrelevant....(being the opposite of the illusion required, to explain-away Patty's moving/bending fingers)... 'Doll-Hand Illusion' could ever fool a whole gang of "Critical Thinkers"...

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 09:14 PM   #10179
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Great suit indeed. It's head changes shape often, as seen in various clips.

It even makes outrageously large blinking motions as sy shows. Must be huge baggy eyelids, I guess.

I'm glad you can see, and acknowledge, the apparent eyebrow movement, LT...

It is actual 'eyebrow movement'....in the animation, you can see how the protruding eyebrow shades the 'white spot' that is at the bottom of her right eye.....as it lowers.

That white-ish object/lump is clearly visible in several Frames...three of them are in this montage...

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 28th November 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:32 PM   #10180
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Disappointed.

Was hoping for more colors . . . and squiggly lines.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:34 PM   #10181
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's really unprecedented primate physiology in action that we are seeing here. The whole brow ridge (which is a bone shelf) comes down and over the eyes for an instant just like a shutting car trunk lid. Normally the eyelids move to cover or "close" the eyes, but here part of the skull itself hinges up and down.

No way would a hoaxer do that. Hoaxers just don't do extremely unrealistic things to their costumes. Because of that it has to be real.

Last edited by William Parcher; 28th November 2012 at 09:42 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 09:37 PM   #10182
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's very obviously not the eyebrows moving up and down. The bone of the skull moves as if it were a kind of flexible alien structure not of this planet.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:41 PM   #10183
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The more I look the more it becomes obviously a fact that the eye socket (another bone structure) drastically changes shape.. like we can do with our lips.

The skull itself can instantly change shape. Sweaty has brought us these facts.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:00 PM   #10184
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The nose, like Pinocchio, also appears to change length/shape. Amazing suit. We really need to see that Roger gets an award.

Or maybe we need to explain the evolutionary consequences of all of this craniofacial variability? Amazing hominid...no wonder the DNA is so special...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 10:11 PM   #10185
Castro
Critical Thinker

Fascinating.The long-time suspected morphing abilities of bigfoot finally proved.

Last edited by Castro; 28th November 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:49 AM   #10186
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's very obviously not the eyebrows moving up and down. The bone of the skull moves as if it were a kind of flexible alien structure not of this planet.

Why couldn't it be a combination of thick skin and hair that is moving up and down, William??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRXyIjocwLo

The two Frames used in that animation are non-consecutive Frames...they are Frames 348 and 368...

Frame 348...the frame in which the eyebrow appears lower....just happens to coincide with the exact moment when Patty's face first becomes hit/lit-up with direct sunlight, as she is turning her head towards Roger.

Patty lowered her eyebrow as a response to the direct sunlight, in her face.

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 29th November 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 29th November 2012, 06:40 AM   #10187
demonunderyourbed

what no pointless coloured lines to go with the pointless giff.??
bigfoot can now shape shift aswell ..
demonunderyourbed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 06:47 AM   #10188
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Why couldn't it be a combination of thick skin and hair that is moving up and down, William??

Frame 348...the frame in which the eyebrow appears lower....just happens to coincide with the exact moment when Patty's face first becomes hit/lit-up with direct sunlight, as she is turning her head towards Roger.

Patty lowered her eyebrow as a response to the direct sunlight, in her face.
You still buy into the whole Lance Armstrong mystique, don't you?
Old 29th November 2012, 06:53 AM   #10189
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Because you have demonstrated that the skull bone is moving. That is now a fact. Maybe you don't even realize what you have discovered.

These are different things...

Eyebrow
Brow ridge
Eyelid
Old 29th November 2012, 07:01 AM   #10190
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I raise my hand and block the sun when it's in my eyes...

How the sun can be in Patty's eyes at ~1:30pm with her head looking at the ground is an exercise for the class, I guess.

Old 29th November 2012, 07:08 AM   #10191
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If you stop to think about it a dropping brow ridge bone would be a great adaptation. The problem with moving quickly in a forest is that you get your eyes poked out by branches and twigs. A "bone flap" could be lowered to essentially protect the eyeballs.

The purpose of this could be debated. But what can't be debated is the fact that the skull itself is changing shape. That is shown right there on the film.

I can't remember if Sweaty is a Creationist, but if so, such a feature could be attributed to God's creation.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:52 AM   #10192
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Would make more sense to just have the bigger/lower ridge there, rather than to invent a moving one. Plus, I also use my arm/hand to shield my eyes from brush. It works much better than a brow ridge ever could. A brow ridge would not be very effective for eye protection in dense brush, imo.

Besides all that, wiki says the brow ridge has nothing to do with eyeball protection, it's for strength of that area of the skull, and many forest dwelling hominids don't even have much of one at all.

It also seems to say that bipedalism reduced the need for the ridge.

Seems much more likely that it's to protect the eye socket area during combat.

Those grizzly bears don't like to give up their food.

Old 29th November 2012, 09:08 AM   #10193
GT/CS
Illuminator

Yes, but you don't walk through the forest with a pig under each arm!
Old 29th November 2012, 11:12 AM   #10194
Drewbot
Illuminator

The moving brow ridge could be an adaptation for mating as well.

IN DAVID ATTENBOUROUGH VOICE:

The Male hides in the bushes, whilst the female walks seductively across a well groomed open area, typically with a dry creek-bed. She signals her willingness to mate by quizzically furrowing her brow ridge.

perhaps Patty mistook the long-haired wig wearing Bob Gimlin for a male sasquatch.

Last edited by Drewbot; 29th November 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:16 AM   #10195
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Because you have demonstrated that the skull bone is moving. That is now a fact. Maybe you don't even realize what you have discovered.

These are different things...

Eyebrow
Brow ridge
Eyelid

Old 29th November 2012, 11:21 AM   #10196
SweatyYeti
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I raise my hand and block the sun when it's in my eyes...

How the sun can be in Patty's eyes at ~1:30pm with her head looking at the ground is an exercise for the class, I guess.

Patty's cheekbone becomes lit-up by the sunlight in Frame 348, LT. Therefore...the direct sunlight could very well also be shining in her eyes.

Hence...the lowering of her eyebrow.

Old 29th November 2012, 11:24 AM   #10197
GT/CS
Illuminator

So the eyebrows bounce up and down while the boobs stay rigid.
Patty is a seriously screwed up animal!!!

Hey Sweaty, do you want to discuss wrist bands?
Old 29th November 2012, 11:25 AM   #10198
GT/CS
Illuminator

Patty's cheekbone becomes lit-up by the sunlight in Frame 348, LT. Therefore...the direct sunlight could very well also be shining in her eyes.

Checkmate by LTC.
Old 29th November 2012, 11:31 AM   #10199
Drewbot
Illuminator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Young_male_chimp.png

You really think this frontal torus is going to move because of a little bit of sun?

That thing is a helmet for the eye socket. It doesn't move.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 11:34 AM   #10200
dafydd
Banned

Why the desperate need to believe in the existence of bigfoot?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal