ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags david ray griffin , jinmin shinbun

Old 26th January 2009, 01:48 AM   #1
adversity1
Scholar

After David Ray Griffin visits Japan, leading left newspaper abandons 9/11 truth

Hi JREF,

You may remember from threads such as 'David Ray Griffin in Japan (appearing with anti-semites and UFO believers)' and the ScrewLooseChange post about David Ray Griffin's appearance at the '9/11 Truth Forum in Osaka'. It was at this forum where I, and others skeptical of the truth movements claims, had the chance to confront David Ray Griffin about the lies and deliberate misinterpretations that he has peddled for years with hardly any criticism.

Here's a summary of the day:

http://screwloosechange.blogspot.com...-in-osaka.html

I had not made it down to the "People's Newspaper" afterwards to find out what the aftershocks were to this event, but it was already clear by the end when the Editor of the paper gave a closing address that quoted Chomsky's debunking of conspiracy theories that the "People's Newspaper" was not convinced on 9/11 conspiracy. This despite the fact that they had peddled this line for over three years.

Last weekend I went to pick up some video of the event at their offices and got a copy of the paper they put out directly after the event. This issue is a STEP by STEP debunking of Griffin's claims which points out the errors and logical fallacies of the so-called "truth movement" and ends with the lead editor concluding that "after putting on this event, I want to make it clear that I can no longer advocate for the truth movement with any confidence". At multiple points the People's Newspaper notes that Griffin supports conspiracy theories about the events of Pearl Harbor, and the reactionary character of his rhetoric (I know from a personal account that the newspaper editor went to a 'truth conference' in Tokyo and was shocked to find himself surrounded by Japanese fascists'). If you visit the paper's site here: http://www.jimmin.com/index.html you will find that they are no longer endorsing 9/11 truth books or positions. These results speak for themselves. The truth movement has not only lost a community of potential believers here, one of the biggest left newspapers in Osaka has finally restored its name by slaying this absurd albatross.

The results speak for themselves (if you read Japanese):

I'm not sure exactly how much my own intervention added to the "People's Newspaper" and conference attendee's rejection of conspiracy mumbo-jumbo. Watching the video, I think I came off a bit arrogant. Frankly I could have been a bit more cordial. I think it is likely that one of the 'People's newspaper' staff that earlier questioned Griffin about obvious evidence of a plane at the Pentagon did a lot more damage, in a more methodical way. Griffin's absolutely pathetic attempts to refute the obvious evidence was also a clincher I believe.

So let's sum up:

What should have been the impetus for "energizing" the "truth movement" in Osaka has instead severed this movement from one of the few left organizations in the country that supported them. Besides another left publication called "Shuukan Kinyoubi", the only ones left are the UFO crackpots like Yumi Kikuchi and obvious anti-semites like Richard Koizumi.

Now hopefully the process of reflection:

Why were we duped?
Why were we so eager to believe that the US government/Israel is omnipotent?
Why did we ignore the existence and intent of fundamentalist and extremist Al Queda?

can begin.

Lessons for skeptics:

Even people that are hardcore into the conspiracy theory, and yet still retain a social understanding of the world, can probably be reasoned with. In this case, my participation was only an opportunity the People's Newspaper needed to free themselves.

It is worth confronting deniers where they appear.
Like they do, we must play to the audience and answer THEIR questions, not get distracted by the double talk of paid liars whose only interest is in keeping the game shucking and jiving.

I will try to get the video up at some point. Walter Ego, could you help me with video editing? Need to do quite a bit of sub-titling...Pat and Brainster, would you post this as a follow up to the Osaka conference? Let me do a little editing over the next couple days before you do it though...

Last edited by adversity1; 26th January 2009 at 01:58 AM.
adversity1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 02:22 AM   #2
bonavada

Originally Posted by adversity1 View Post

Like they do, we must play to the audience and answer THEIR questions, not get distracted by the double talk of paid liars whose only interest is in keeping the game shucking and jiving.

I will try to get the video up at some point. Walter Ego, could you help me with video editing? Need to do quite a bit of sub-titling...Pat and Brainster, would you post this as a follow up to the Osaka conference? Let me do a little editing over the next couple days before you do it though...

Excellent job. Looking forward to seeing the video.

BV
bonavada is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 03:57 AM   #3
ref
Master Poster

Excellent, adversity1, excellent!

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 05:09 AM   #4
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

DRG is a truther dinosaur. I am amazed they keep him on as the high priest, I mean his list of "facts" are debunked canards from 2005-2006.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Great job, Adversity1! I'd be happy to put up your post on SLC when you feel it's ready. One suggestion: Since most of us can't read Japanese, you might take just one point of the debunking that the People's Newspaper did and translate that part for us.

Kudos again for fighting for the rationalists!

Last edited by Brainster; 26th January 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Bravo, Adversity1!

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 09:54 AM   #7
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Nice work! You can be proud.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Freakin' awesome.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

よい仕事.
Old 26th January 2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Tweeter
Banned

Awesome, Bravo, good job.....
Now only if we knew how to read Japanese.
Tweeter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 02:02 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Am I right in presuming that a lot of the Japanese politicians who support Griffith are the same bozos who try to whitewash Japan's history from 1932 to 1945. I would not be surprised.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 02:07 PM   #12
Galileo
Illuminator

Hi JREF,

You may remember from threads such as 'David Ray Griffin in Japan (appearing with anti-semites and UFO believers)' and the ScrewLooseChange post about David Ray Griffin's appearance at the '9/11 Truth Forum in Osaka'. It was at this forum where I, and others skeptical of the truth movements claims, had the chance to confront David Ray Griffin about the lies and deliberate misinterpretations that he has peddled for years with hardly any criticism.

Here's a summary of the day:

http://screwloosechange.blogspot.com...-in-osaka.html

I had not made it down to the "People's Newspaper" afterwards to find out what the aftershocks were to this event, but it was already clear by the end when the Editor of the paper gave a closing address that quoted Chomsky's debunking of conspiracy theories that the "People's Newspaper" was not convinced on 9/11 conspiracy. This despite the fact that they had peddled this line for over three years.

Last weekend I went to pick up some video of the event at their offices and got a copy of the paper they put out directly after the event. This issue is a STEP by STEP debunking of Griffin's claims which points out the errors and logical fallacies of the so-called "truth movement" and ends with the lead editor concluding that "after putting on this event, I want to make it clear that I can no longer advocate for the truth movement with any confidence". At multiple points the People's Newspaper notes that Griffin supports conspiracy theories about the events of Pearl Harbor, and the reactionary character of his rhetoric (I know from a personal account that the newspaper editor went to a 'truth conference' in Tokyo and was shocked to find himself surrounded by Japanese fascists'). If you visit the paper's site here: http://www.jimmin.com/index.html you will find that they are no longer endorsing 9/11 truth books or positions. These results speak for themselves. The truth movement has not only lost a community of potential believers here, one of the biggest left newspapers in Osaka has finally restored its name by slaying this absurd albatross.

The results speak for themselves (if you read Japanese):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3397/...0ed7f955dc.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/...3920cb4bcb.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/...18833532fc.jpg

I'm not sure exactly how much my own intervention added to the "People's Newspaper" and conference attendee's rejection of conspiracy mumbo-jumbo. Watching the video, I think I came off a bit arrogant. Frankly I could have been a bit more cordial. I think it is likely that one of the 'People's newspaper' staff that earlier questioned Griffin about obvious evidence of a plane at the Pentagon did a lot more damage, in a more methodical way. Griffin's absolutely pathetic attempts to refute the obvious evidence was also a clincher I believe.

So let's sum up:

What should have been the impetus for "energizing" the "truth movement" in Osaka has instead severed this movement from one of the few left organizations in the country that supported them. Besides another left publication called "Shuukan Kinyoubi", the only ones left are the UFO crackpots like Yumi Kikuchi and obvious anti-semites like Richard Koizumi.

Now hopefully the process of reflection:

Why were we duped?
Why were we so eager to believe that the US government/Israel is omnipotent?
Why did we ignore the existence and intent of fundamentalist and extremist Al Queda?

can begin.

Lessons for skeptics:

Even people that are hardcore into the conspiracy theory, and yet still retain a social understanding of the world, can probably be reasoned with. In this case, my participation was only an opportunity the People's Newspaper needed to free themselves.

This is great news! I wish all the communist pinkoes would join the 9/11 False movement.
Galileo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 06:40 PM   #13
adversity1
Scholar

Ok, will post up some translation in a couple days. Hopefully video too...
adversity1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Thunder
Banned

And they say we are not winning.

Again, it has been proven, that debunkers really don't have to work hard to defeat 9-11 truthers. They defeat themselves.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 06:51 PM   #15
Thunder
Banned

Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
This is great news! I wish all the communist pinkoes would join the 9/11 False movement.
how very....1950s of you.

I'm sure Joe McCarthy, the KKK, Neo-Nazis, Adolf Hitler, George Lincoln Rockwell, and other right-wingers would be happy to know that "the Truth"...is on their side.

Last edited by Thunder; 26th January 2009 at 06:52 PM.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 07:17 PM   #16
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by Tweeter View Post
Awesome, Bravo, good job.....
Now only if we knew how to read Japanese.
Go learn.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2009, 07:37 PM   #17
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
Go learn.

I find it quite amusing how he implies none of us can read Japanese.....right after Hokulele's post.
Old 26th January 2009, 07:51 PM   #18
Hokulele

本当ね.
Old 27th January 2009, 06:10 AM   #19
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
本当ね.

Sorry, I can't read Japanese!

Old 27th January 2009, 08:01 AM   #20
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

It says something like:

"Don't you think? truth"

(I cheated <.< >.>)

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 27th January 2009 at 08:03 AM.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 11:01 AM   #21
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The only word I know in Japanese is the most common word in console rpgs:

"....."
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2009, 12:17 PM   #22
Hokulele

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
It says something like:

"Don't you think? truth"

(I cheated <.< >.>)

In this context, it means "Very true."
Old 27th January 2009, 11:07 PM   #23
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

Meh. I bet DRG could pick up a few sympathetic ears in what's left of Aum Shinrikyo (sp?)
Old 27th January 2009, 11:09 PM   #24
adversity1
Scholar

Trying to edit this post but the edit button is not appearing. Any ideas?
Old 27th January 2009, 11:52 PM   #25
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

You mean the OP?

You can report your own OP (the triangle with the "!" on the left) and in the message to the mods/admins you can describe what you would like to have changed.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 07:57 AM   #26
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

You're only allowed a limited time to edit your own posts - I think it's 2 hours, but don't quote me on that.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:16 AM   #27
CurtC
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
本当ね.
Sorry, I don't speak hex characters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hokulele.jpg (11.3 KB, 822 views)
Old 28th January 2009, 11:27 AM   #28
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

You're only allowed a limited time to edit your own posts - I think it's 2 hours, but don't quote me on that.
Why not?
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Arus808
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
Sorry, I don't speak hex characters.
Need to turn on Character Encoding > Shift JIS for your browser (And auto detect)

“Life may begin at 30, but it doesn’t get real interesting until about 150.”
“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2009, 07:54 PM   #30
adversity1
Scholar

Hey Brainster, I PMed you my updated post.

Apparently, I'd have to start a whole new thread to post the update.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:03 PM   #31
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

You can update this thread with a new post to update your OP.

Nice work.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2009, 12:51 AM   #32
NagP
Thinker

I have obtained the article on the People's Newspaper and reading it now.

Thanks, adversity1.
NagP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2009, 08:22 AM   #33
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Why not?

What did I just say?
Old 19th April 2009, 09:26 AM   #34
NagP
Thinker

One of the Japanese opposition menbers of the House of Councilors, Yukihisa Fujita, recently published a book about 9/11CT.
(Mr. Fujita seems to be one of the members of "Political Leaders for 9/11 Truth")
One of the coauthurs is David R. Griffin.

I am a bit concerned about this book because it might fuel 9/11CT movement in Japan a little.
But it may not have a big influence to the public because of the failure of DRG in Osaka to promote 9/11CT.
NagP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2009, 09:30 AM   #35
240-185
Muse

Unfortunately, Fujita has more audience outside Japan...

My 9/11 Crackpot Index
240-185 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2009, 09:35 AM   #36
NagP
Thinker

Originally Posted by 240-185 View Post
Unfortunately, Fujita has more audience outside Japan...
You mean he is popular in the United States and Europe?
Old 20th April 2009, 12:01 AM   #37
240-185
Muse

As far as I know about trutherism in Europe, he is well known just because he's a deputy who dared challenge the "official version" in a session of the japanese assembly. And it is *just* that: an argument from authority.

Twoofers like to bring this kind of argument to point that "some people from the international community disagree with the official version".

My 9/11 Crackpot Index
240-185 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 05:00 AM   #38
chillzero
Penultimate Amazing

Hi,
[as mod]
Probably best to just make it a new post in this thread. No need for a new thread that would be merged here anyway.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 10:04 PM   #39
NagP
Thinker

On June 14th, Yukihisa Fujita appeared on a Japanese television show "Sokomade itte iinkai" and presented his 911 CT.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE

An American TV producer Dave Spector called him a fool, but his objection was weak.
I'm afraid that this show may have some impact on Japanese public.

Last edited by NagP; 16th June 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 17th June 2009, 08:13 AM   #40
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NagP View Post
On June 14th, Yukihisa Fujita appeared on a Japanese television show "Sokomade itte iinkai" and presented his 911 CT.

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

An American TV producer Dave Spector called him a fool, but his objection was weak.
I'm afraid that this show may have some impact on Japanese public.
Sounds to me like someone needs to do a Japanese version of 9/11 Myths.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories