ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:14 AM   #41
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Its not like he pulled out a gun. He screamed at the guy who was interrupting a shoot. A shoot costs about $3,000 per hour on a sound stage if I recall correctly. So you screw up a scene (and this was the SECOND time the same person did it) and it costs money.
Yeah, because Christian Bale has a serious want for money.

And no, he didn't pull out a gun. But, even if I was losing money, can you name me a single job that doesn't require special apology, where I can yell at someone for 5 minutes and threaten to "kick his ass" with NO repercussions whatsoever?

Either way, Christian deserves to be mocked for this. And he is, frequently, and with much force.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Lonewulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 08:25 AM   #42
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
How recent? My friend worked with him on Avatar last year and said the guy's a total ass-wipe.
I had a friend who was on the Akademik Mstislav Keldysh while he was filming Aliens of the Deep. Noting that he was a perfectly reasonable, nice guy when he wasn't on the set, she asked him why he treated his crew so badly. "I've found that that's what works best to get things done," he said. Having spent a few years in film production as a low-level crew member, I can sympathize with this approach, as I know the types of personalities that are frequently attracted to the industry.

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade

Last edited by Buckaroo; 4th February 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 09:21 AM   #43
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
YBut, even if I was losing money, can you name me a single job that doesn't require special apology, where I can yell at someone for 5 minutes and threaten to "kick his ass" with NO repercussions whatsoever?
Head chef...

Gordon Ramsay anyone?

That said it's a hugely stressful job, everything has to be just right and mistakes cost money. After the shift is over he's just 'one of the guys'. He'll also back his staff to the hilt if they're halfway competent, I believe he walked out of one kitchen after one of the chefs got fired for a spurious reason.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 09:33 AM   #44
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

a) We're talking about acting. It's a piece of cake. The hardest acting job doesn't compare to digging ditches. I'm not buying the "stress" excuse.

b) Mistakes on the set cost money? Sure, But not Bale's money.

c) He's making a Terminator movie, for cripes sake. This isn't Shakespeare - or anything with a serious plot and necessary character development. He really needs to get over himself.

d) Someone commented on the "kind of people" who work on films, implying arrogance and incompetence. My experience is completely the opposite of that. Nearly everyone in all my acting endeavours has been talented and a team player. That is one of the main attractions of the craft for me: A group of creative, diverse people coming together to make art.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:37 AM   #45
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

It just occurred to me that Bale could be angry because he's realized that this project is a steaming pile of dung. I mean, again, it's a frickin' Terminator movie.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:41 AM   #46
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jmcvann View Post
d) Someone commented on the "kind of people" who work on films, implying arrogance and incompetence. My experience is completely the opposite of that. Nearly everyone in all my acting endeavours has been talented and a team player. That is one of the main attractions of the craft for me: A group of creative, diverse people coming together to make art.
Was that me? I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. I agree with you. What I meant was that the personalities tend to be strong, and often will respect an equally uncompromising, sometimes wrathful leader more than one who makes nice. Many exceptions, of course.

Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 10:05 AM   #47
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

It just occurred to me that Bale could be angry because he's realized that this project is a steaming pile of dung. I mean, again, it's a frickin' Terminator movie.
Going too far.

Terminator and Terminator 2 were great movies. And IMO, the Sarah Connor Chronicles, while it had some flaws, was a great series.

There's no need to attack the genre.

(Terminator 3 was a travesty, though)
Old 4th February 2009, 11:16 AM   #48
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have been on the edges of theater people for most of my life, and when I was living in SoCal knew a number of technicians who were in "the business", and I simply don't buy this "He is a talented artist, and therefore the rules of common decent behavior toward others do not apply" Bullcrap. It is just a slightly more intellectual version of the "Rules don't apply to a Celeb" mentality.
Look being upset and maybe shouting a four letter word once is one thing, going off into a total rage like Bale is another. I just do not buy this whole "Sensative Artist have a right to behave like asswipes" garbage.
And Bale has a history of bad behavior. The indicent with his mother right before the Dark Knight premiere comes to mind.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 11:18 AM   #49
Bob Klase
Master Poster

And IMO, the Sarah Connor Chronicles, while it had some flaws, was a great series.
"Was" a great series? Is it not a great series now or did you think it had been cancelled?
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 11:19 AM   #50
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And Bale has a history of bad behavior. The indicent with his mother right before the Dark Knight premiere comes to mind.
I wasn't here for that. Have a link/summary for me?
Old 4th February 2009, 11:20 AM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, and I have problems with the "it was an important emotional scence in the movie" either. It's a freaking action movie about humans vs robots, for Heaven's sake. We are not talking "Hamlet" or "Death Of A Salesmen" here.

Quote:
Agreed. And When I heard Uber Hack McG was directing T4, I wrote the project off.
Cameron is a total jerk by all accounts, but the guy knows how to write and direct a good action film. McG has not a clue. ALso not to mention McG should have defused this situation on the set instead of behaving like a total wimp. A director who cannot control his set is not, frankly, a very good director.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 11:21 AM   #52
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Bob Klase View Post
"Was" a great series? Is it not a great series now or did you think it had been cancelled?
Bwahahahaha!

I don't watch TV. It shows, doesn't it? I tend to rent out series on DVD, or buy it straight out (I bought the first season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles), so I tend to not pay attention to where the series is currently.

I stand (actually, sit) corrected.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:22 AM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't here for that. Have a link/summary for me?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/...d=networkfront

Charges were dropped, but it certainly suggests that Bale has, let us say, issues....
Old 4th February 2009, 11:24 AM   #54
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Agreed. And When I heard Uber Hack McG was directing T4, I wrote the project off.
Cameron is a total jerk by all accounts, but the guy knows how to write and direct a good action film. McG has not a clue. ALso not to mention McG should have defused this situation on the set instead of behaving like a total wimp. A director who cannot control his set is not, frankly, a very good director.
I admit some ignorance to specific Directors, but I was rather astonished that Bale was able to yell for that long with only some pathetic attempts at placating.

Honestly, if I were the guy working the lights, I'd be tempted to shout, "Fine! I get it! You can shut the **** up now!" (I'd say something witty, but I don't have a tendency to think on my feet, especially when people are yelling at me or distracting me from being able to think).

But I'd probably get fired, unlike Bale, and people on this thread would be saying how bad I was and that poor Bale got his feelings hurt.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Lonewulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 11:32 AM   #55
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

Going too far.

Terminator and Terminator 2 were great movies. And IMO, the Sarah Connor Chronicles, while it had some flaws, was a great series.

There's no need to attack the genre.

Great? Hmmmmm...I'll give you good. And "good" for "blow everything up" movies. But as I always say: Art is subjective. We all get to like what we like.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:35 AM   #56
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Was that me? I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. I agree with you. What I meant was that the personalities tend to be strong, and often will respect an equally uncompromising, sometimes wrathful leader more than one who makes nice. Many exceptions, of course.
Looking back - yeah, it was you. Your expansion on what you meant is well done. No harm. No foul.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:37 AM   #57
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Great? Hmmmmm...I'll give you good. And "good" for "blow everything up" movies. But as I always say: Art is subjective. We all get to like what we like.
Really? That's all you got out of it? "Blow everything up"? That describes Terminator 3 pretty well; it was just blowing things up.

It didn't have half of the message of T2 or T1, though, or the Sarah Connor Chronicles, all of which involve quite a bit more than just "blowing everything up". But yeah, art is subjective. I'm pretty sure that it's objectively true that there was a philosophical backdrop, and real depth to the characters, of T1, T2, and TSSC. Now, you can say that you don't *like* that particular depth, or that the philosophy was "weak" (much like one could say of The Matrix Trilogy), but you can't deny that it's *there*.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:42 AM   #58
Tbone
Graduate Poster

a) We're talking about acting. It's a piece of cake.
What an odd thing to say. This seems to imply that transplating Pauly Shore for Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump would make no difference at all.
Tbone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 11:46 AM   #59
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
What an odd thing to say. This seems to imply that transplating Pauly Shore for Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump would make no difference at all.
I'll make sure to tell that to my friend that works 14-hour shifts in factories, carrying equipment at awkward positions that weigh around 20 lbs., and where a single mistake could potentially mean a life-long major injury to death.

"Look at it this way, David... you could be ACTING! That's so much harder!"

Then he can feel much better about himself for the 7 days a week he works, for months on end.

Guess what happens if David yells like Bale did, for 5 minutes on end, with "I should kick your ass!", in front of HIS supervisor?

Note: He takes huge breaks, months on end. But he also works for months on end.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:06 PM   #60
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

I'll make sure to tell that to my friend that works 14-hour shifts in factories, carrying equipment at awkward positions that weigh around 20 lbs., and where a single mistake could potentially mean a life-long major injury to death.

"Look at it this way, David... you could be ACTING! That's so much harder!"

Then he can feel much better about himself for the 7 days a week he works, for months on end.

Guess what happens if David yells like Bale did, for 5 minutes on end, with "I should kick your ass!", in front of HIS supervisor?

Note: He takes huge breaks, months on end. But he also works for months on end.

So, only physical labor is "hard work"? Brain Surgery? Pfft. That's easy. It's just slicing stuff up!

The straw man's on the other foot, now!
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 12:30 PM   #61
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
So, only physical labor is "hard work"? Brain Surgery? Pfft. That's easy. It's just slicing stuff up!

The straw man's on the other foot, now!
Ah, so acting is as difficult as brain surgery?

Okay. A brain surgeon spends 5 minutes yelling at a nurse, and says, "I should *********** cut you/beat you up! I should *********** bust up your sonar machine!"

House is fiction, you know.

To make your rather pedantic point, you missed the forest for the trees. The forest was this: Christian Bale acted like an asshat. Period. End of discussion. Anything else is special pleading. "He works hard!!!1111oneoneone" is ignoring all of the many hard working jobs where you CAN'T get away with that kind of behavior. And yes, working 14 hours a day for 7 days a week IS hard work, period, and it STILL doesn't justify the behavior. Do you agree or disagree, or do you just have more pedant to play?

And I still say that he deserves to be mocked for it.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:37 PM   #62
NoZed Avenger
Penultimate Amazing

If Batman really went nuts I would've expected more cripplings and dead bodies.
NoZed Avenger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 01:02 PM   #63
NotJesus
Unsaviory

When it comes to going postal, Christian Bale can't hold Klaus Kinski's sack.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Werner Herzog calls this outburst "rather mild" by Kinski's standards.
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 01:07 PM   #64
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Ah, so acting is as difficult as brain surgery?

Okay. A brain surgeon spends 5 minutes yelling at a nurse, and says, "I should *********** cut you/beat you up! I should *********** bust up your sonar machine!"

House is fiction, you know.

To make your rather pedantic point, you missed the forest for the trees. The forest was this: Christian Bale acted like an asshat. Period. End of discussion. Anything else is special pleading. "He works hard!!!1111oneoneone" is ignoring all of the many hard working jobs where you CAN'T get away with that kind of behavior. And yes, working 14 hours a day for 7 days a week IS hard work, period, and it STILL doesn't justify the behavior. Do you agree or disagree, or do you just have more pedant to play?

And I still say that he deserves to be mocked for it.

I can't listen to the audio here at work, so I have not yet formed an opinion on Bale's behavior. jmcvann made an absurd claim that acting is "a piece of cake", and Tbone rightly called him out on it. You, then, decided to construct the strawman argument that Tbone was somehow saying that an actor's job is "harder" than your friend's manual labor.

My entire point is that there are many different types of "hard work", beyond just manual labor. I'm sure I could not do your friend's job, but I'm similarly fairly sure he couldn't do mine. Neither of us could do the brain surgeons job.

And, seriously, Lonewulf: I like you and agree with you on many issues, but you have a bad habit of jumping to conclusions and attributing positions to people that they haven't expressed. Neither Tbone or I, in the posts you responded to even mentioned Bale. Both of those posts only went to the point of whether acting can be "hard work", which doesn't in any way hinge on whether Bale's actions were justified.

And, I think, were he alive today, Heath Ledger might disagree about how stressful and demanding acting can be.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 01:09 PM   #65
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

I would think that the director or the rest of the crew should be more upset over a spoiled scene than the actor. This is what I like about the European approaching to film-making. They regard the actors as merely a necessary evil because they need bodies to move around and carry out action--the film is really the art of the director and the crew. The function of the actors is secondary. In the U.S. we have blended theater with cinema and simply point cameras at a "performance" and call it a film. The failure of this approach is borne out any time a movie is scripted around the "talents" of an actor. When you see the phrase "vehicle for [actor's name]" in a movie synopsis, you already know to avoid it like the plague.

Too many celebrities are just spoiled brats. In contrast, read what Tom Jones had to say to Larry King about how "difficult" it is to be a performer (I'll always admire him because of this anecdote):
Quote:
JONES: Oh, yes. And I knew that when I was a kid, I thought, if I could sing, you know, for a living, and not have to do a job of work that I don't like, which a lot of people -- most people...

KING: Ninety-five percent.

JONES: Exactly. To survive they have to go and do a job of work,. And then when they go home, they do something which is their hobby that they really like.

Well, singing was my hobby. And I thought if I could do this, you know, that would be it. What could -- how could I complain about anything after that? And that's what happened. And it turned out the way I thought it would, you know.

KING: So you've enjoyed all of this?

JONES: Oh, definitely.

KING: The whole ride?

JONES: Yes. There's no -- I mean, the little -- sometimes -- oh, I remember one time -- just a short story -- when I was doing my TV shows and I did a lot of them from London. And I had this big rolls Royce Phantom 6, you know, with my driver, you know. And I had been drinking the night before. I had been.

And so, I flopped in the back of the car to go to the TV station. So when we get there -- I was sleeping, you know, in the back. So he wakes me up. Come on. I though, Oh, my God. I got to go in there now. And it was a production day. I had to do a production number, you know? With these dancers. I thought, oh my God. I have to go in there now today and I have to get made up and I got to do all this.

So when I stepped out of the car, there was a hod (ph) carrier, which I used to do. They were extending the facility. And so there was a fellow carrying bricks up a ladder on his shoulder, which I used to do. You know, carrying...

KING: As a job?

JONES: As a job. As a kid. So when I stepped out of the car and I looked up and he looked down at me he said, Hey, Tom? You want to help me out with this? Because he knew that that's what I used to do. And I thought, My God, I'm complaining about -- you know, I'm thinking to myself, oh, I have to do this production number and this kid is going to be running up and down that ladder all day.

And I thought, Oh, you know, I sort of shook -- I walked in the studio. I sat down in front of the makeup girl. I said, OK, let's go. And she said, My God. You're happy this morning. What is it? I said, I just saw somebody doing the job of work that I used to do, you know, and I was complaining about coming in -- you know, not complaining but not wanting to come and do this today.

KING: Wow.

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 01:10 PM   #66
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Keith Ledger enjoyed his role and wanted to continue it, that's why he took pills to push himself... many authors do the same thing, actually. Taking various amphetamines has been a long-used practice, it's not like it's something new or exclusive to acting.

And remember what we're dealing with: The claim, which was what people were responding to, that he should be given preferential treatment because acting was uniquely difficult.
Old 4th February 2009, 01:23 PM   #67
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Having a stressful and demanding job that requires concentration does not give you the right treat the people around like crap.

Quote:
If Batman really went nuts I would've expected more cripplings and dead bodies.
Maybe Something like this

The DP "I swear to God, Mr Bale, I will never step into your line of sight again"?
Bale (grabbing the DP by his lapel and lifting him up) "DON"T SWEAR TO GOD,SWEAR TO ME!".
Old 4th February 2009, 01:30 PM   #68
tomwaits
Master Poster

Keith Ledger enjoyed his role and wanted to continue it, that's why he took pills to push himself... many authors do the same thing, actually. Taking various amphetamines has been a long-used practice, it's not like it's something new or exclusive to acting.
I think Stephen King wrote all of It on a cocaine binge.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 01:37 PM   #69
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Having a stressful and demanding job that requires concentration does not give you the right treat the people around like crap.
I agree. But, just because an actor (allegedly) treated someone like crap, doesn't give others the right to disparage an entire profession (or genre of film, for that matter). Do celebrities often get away with behavior that would be unacceptable elsewhere? Yes. Does that say anything at all about how hard they work? No.
Old 4th February 2009, 01:41 PM   #70
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

I agree. But, just because an actor (allegedly) treated someone like crap, doesn't give others the right to disparage an entire profession (or genre of film, for that matter). Do celebrities often get away with behavior that would be unacceptable elsewhere? Yes. Does that say anything at all about how hard they work? No.
Now who's talking strawman? Who claimed, or even came close to saying, that you could draw a conclusion about acting based on Bale acting out?

As for "allegedly", do you need a transcript?

Bale: kick your f***in ass! I want you off the f***in set, you prick!

Hurlbut: Im sorry.

Bale: No, dont just be sorry! Think for one f***in second! What the f*** are you doing? (Editors note: The following sentence is what makes this Deceiver-worthy.) Are you professional or not?

Hurlbut: Yes, I am.

Bale: Do I f***in walk around and rip down No, shut the f*** up, Bruce! Do I walk No! Nnno! Dont shut me up!

Bruce: Im not shutting you up.

Bale: Am I gonna walk around and rip your f***in lights down? In the middle of a scene? Then why the f*** are you walkin right through? Oh, dah-dah, dah-dah, like this in the background. What the f*** is it with you? What dont you f***in understand? You got any f***in idea about, hey, its f***in distracting having somebody walkin up behind Bryce in the middle of the f***in scene? Gimme a f***in answer! What dont you get about it?

Hurlbut: I was looking at the light.

Bale: Ohhhhh, goooood for you! And how was it? I hope it was f***in good, because its useless now, isnt it?

Hurlbut: Okay.

Bale: F***s sake, man, youre amateur. McG, you have f***in somethin to say to this prick?

McG: I didnt see it happen.

Bale: Well, somebody should be f***in watchin him and keepin an eye on him.

McG: Fair enough.

Bale: Its the second time that he doesnt give a f***. About what is goin on in front of the camera. Alright? Im tryin to f***in do a scene here and Im goin, Why the f*** is Shane walkin in there? What is he doin there? Do you understand, my mind is not in the scene if youre doin that.

Hurlbut: I absolutely apologize. Im sorry, I did not mean anything by it.

Bale: Stay off the f***in set, man. For f***s sake. Right, lets go again. No, lets not take a f***in minute, lets go again! And lets not have you f***in walkin in! Can I have Tom put this on, please?

McG: Tom, wardrobe, please. Can I have Tom, wardrobe?

Bale: You;re unbelievable, man. You're un-f***in-believable. Number of times youre strollin a-f***in-round in the background. Ive never had a DP behave like this. Ahhhhh, you dont f***in understand what its like workin with actors, thats what that is.

Hurlbut: No, thats not

Bale: Thats what that is, man, Im tellin you! Im not askin, Im tellin you. You wouldnt have done that otherwise.

Hurlbut: No, what it is, is looking at the light, and making sure that you were

Bale: [sound of something being knocked over] Im gonna f***in kick your f***in ass! If you dont shut up for a second, alright?

Various voices: Christian, Christian, Christian, Christian, its cool, its cool.

Bale: Im gonna go, you want me to f***in trash your lights? Do you want me to f***in trash em? Then why are you trashin my scene?

Hurlbut: Im not tryin to trash

Bale: You are trashin my scene! You do it one more f***in time, and I aint walkin on this set if youre still hired. Im f***in serious. Youre a nice guy! Youre a nice guy! But that dont f***in cut it when youre bulls****in and f***in around like this on set!

McG: I got it, I know, I get it.

Bale: Yeah, you might get it, he doesnt f***in get it! You might. He! Does! Not! Get it!

McG: I know. Good adjustments, okay? For real. Honestly. I get it. Just walk for 5 seconds, just for 5 seconds

Bale: No, I dont need any f***in walkin! He needs to stop walkin!

McG: I get that!

Bale: I aint the one walkin! Lets get Tom and put this back on, lets go again. Seriously, man, you and me, were f***in done professionally. F***in ass.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 4th February 2009, 01:45 PM   #71
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

And remember what we're dealing with: The claim, which was what people were responding to, that he should be given preferential treatment because acting was uniquely difficult.
Evidence that anyone in this thread mad the claim "that he should be given preferential treatment because acting was uniquely difficult.?

Evidence that Tbone made any such claim?
Old 4th February 2009, 01:48 PM   #72
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
I wonder how rich and famous you need to be before you can act like a complete tit like that and get away with it.
It's a sad fact of life that if you are handsome, rich, famous and very talented, you can get away with practically anything. Anything at all, enspecially if you are in an enviornment where everyone treats you like a god and bends to your every wish and whim and if the person on the other end isn't your equal.

I wonder if directors and studios might put up with obnoxious actors because of their talent, not their wealth and fame. If a B- or C- lister behaved like that, maybe they'd have alot less patience and tolerance.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 01:48 PM   #73
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Evidence that anyone in this thread mad the claim "that he should be given preferential treatment because acting was uniquely difficult.?

Evidence that Tbone made any such claim?
Ah, okay. Then the whole discussion, as far as I'm concerned, is void if no one did, as it's not a factor and shouldn't have been brought up at all, or spawned any kind of discussion.

"Acting is hard, just any other kind of job" doesn't seem to have much at all to do with the OP, and I follow enough derails as it is.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:18 PM   #74
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Now who's talking strawman? Who claimed, or even came close to saying, that you could draw a conclusion about acting based on Bale acting out?
Both jmcvann and dudalb were perferctly happy to use this incident as an excuse disparage "acting" in general, and this role, in particular:

a) We're talking about acting. It's a piece of cake. The hardest acting job doesn't compare to digging ditches. I'm not buying the "stress" excuse.

c) He's making a Terminator movie, for cripes sake. This isn't Shakespeare - or anything with a serious plot and necessary character development. He really needs to get over himself.
Yeah, and I have problems with the "it was an important emotional scence in the movie" either. It's a freaking action movie about humans vs robots, for Heaven's sake. We are not talking "Hamlet" or "Death Of A Salesmen" here.

Quote:
As for "allegedly", do you need a transcript?
As I mentioned above, I have not yet had the opportunity to hear the audio. So, yes, thank you.

Quote:
Bale: kick your f***in ass! I want you off the f***in set, you prick!

[snip]

Bale: I aint the one walkin! Lets get Tom and put this back on, lets go again. Seriously, man, you and me, were f***in done professionally. F***in ass.
That does seem pretty a-holish. I don't approve of such behavior, and it's unacceptable regardless of who is exhibiting the behavior. If this is common behavior for him, then he really needs to see someone about his anger issues.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:21 PM   #75
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Okay people let's get some facts straight please?

1) No one is saying acting is "harder" than another job. All that has been said is that filmmaking is a particularly stressful job, and that for an actor in particular it is very emotional. I am sure working in a factory or doing brain surgery is hard work, and can be quite stressful. I'd be willing to bet enormous amounts of money that it doesn't even hold a candle to the level of emotional stress you're exposed to on a film set.

On the point of money... one of the major stresses on a big film set is the knowledge that you're burning huge sums of money every time you delay. A decade ago the set of Xena cost $10,000 an hour to run, so I'd imagine that something like the set of T4 today would be costing $20,000 an hour easily. It doesn't matter if you're being paid $20 million or $10 an hour, you feel the stress of that pressure. The producer makes sure everyone feels that stress. It's actually one of the major factors for why productions shot on film tend to be better than productions shot on video - with film everyone is conscious that you're burning money, so everyone is more focused and on their game.

I highlight this because while working hard won't cause emotional outbursts, and even while being stressed may not cause emotional outbursts, being emotionally stressed certainly will.

2) There are particular circumstances that make this individual more prone to such an outburst. Firstly, he's a pretty intensive method actor. Those attempting to trash the film to refute this are way off base. Firstly, you haven't seen the film or read a script so you have NO idea whether there's much acting involved. Secondly, there's no direct relationship between the intensity an actor gives to a role and the amount of intensity a given role requires. Keanu Reeves is a prime example of a (particularly bad) actor who gives huge intensity to cardboard cut out characters.

Secondly, if reports are to believed, Bale took the death of Heath Ledger (six months earlier) particularly hard, as the two of them had become quite close shooting The Dark Knight. Bale was reportedly very angry about his death because he felt the two of them could have become close friends. I'm willing to give the man some slack.

Lastly, context is everything. This guy who screwed up on set here wasn't the runner or a lighting trainee. It was the DP. Maybe this guy was pissing everyone off with his behaviour. Even a 1st AD would be quite hesitant about telling a DP what to do, and in this case the director has a work history with the DP so that's going to make it harder. Bale may very well have been the only person on set who could tell this guy to cut it out and get away with it. But he's got the entire resentment and annoyance of the whole crew behind him; he's a spokesman for the frustration of every department of people who has been working so hard.

Because that's what it feels like on a film set. Everyone works together towards this single goal of getting the perfect take, and when some retard screws it up the ENTIRE CREW feel like their hard work has been betrayed. Not just some individual actor. But the actors, right there in the middle of the set, are most exposed to everyone's resentment and frustration, and they feel it more than anyone.

Now, I'm sure some of you think I'm trying to argue that acting is some sort of magical special job that excuses behaving badly, but you've got it wrong, that's not what I am saying at all. I'm just trying to get people to appreciate that this sort of acting puts you in a unique situation. Not necessarily more difficult, not necessarily more "special" but it's unique. The dynamic of that context lends itself to opening up people to that sort of outburst.

3) The infraction that caused the rant, while maybe not perceived as serious to non film people, is VERY serious in the context of the film industry. I cannot stress enough how absolutely wrong it is to do what the DP did. Frankly the most astounding thing for me is that such a high level DP would do something that ridiculously unprofessional on such a high profile film set. I don't agree with Bale's methods for expressing himself, but I agree with his sentiment.

4) Last point, please pay attention. THIS SORT OF THING IS COMMON IN THE FILM INDUSTRY. Don't weep about the poor DPs hurt feelings. I am sure he's done similar things to lighting assistants under his direction before. DPs are the worst offenders as far as these off-the-handle rants go - British DPs are world famous for it to the point that the psychotic ranting British DP is practically an industry cliche. Maybe you think this sort of thing is unprofessional. Maybe you think it's totally unacceptable. Fine. Don't ever work in the film industry. (Likewise I'd recommend you never join the military, or work in Gordon Ramsay's kitchen). Most ironic of all is seeing people excuse James Cameron's behaviour because he makes good films. Talk about double standards.

I see nothing newsworthy here. The First Assistant Director said it wasn't an issue at all, that Bale was totally fine and professional the rest of the shoot, and that there were no issues with him and the DP. The 1st AD should know, because he's the one in charge of the set.

And before you ask why he didn't stop Bale's tirade, one of your crucial roles as an AD is to manage personalities, and this AD had worked with Bale before. I'm guessing he knew Bale would calm down and go back to his usual professional self as soon as the incident was over. In this situation you shut up, you take it, and you move on. The worst thing you can try and do is justify yourself or talk reason to the ranter, which it sounds like the DP did.

There is, of course, one other thing to consider. I have no idea what the context of the scene is, so this is purely speculation, but it's possible the rant was a performance for the benefit of his co-star. If he needed her to be afraid or shocked at him, doing something like this immediately before another take would be perfect. I only suggest this because Bale did his first major acting job with Steven Spielberg, and Spielberg is famous for crossing the line between the set and the scene in order to get real reactions from his actors.

It's a possibility. The message is - don't assume you know all of the context, because in the film industry, you most certainly don't. Hell, I wouldn't put it past the production team that the entire thing is a publicity stunt.

For anyone who is interesting in where I am coming from, I am an Assistant Director, so I work intimately with cast, and I run film sets. I've also been acting since I was a child. No, I've never had a rant like that. No, I don't think I ever would. People cope with the unique stress of a film set in different ways. But what I do know is while I've seen total asshats spew anger, I have also seen really decent, kind, professional people go off on rants just like the Christian Bale one. So I'm not willing to crucify the guy over a single audio clip. Sorry.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 02:24 PM   #76
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Ah, okay. Then the whole discussion, as far as I'm concerned, is void if no one did, as it's not a factor and shouldn't have been brought up at all, or spawned any kind of discussion.

"Acting is hard, just any other kind of job" doesn't seem to have much at all to do with the OP, and I follow enough derails as it is.

Letting a topic go after a thoughtful exchange of ideas? What are you, the anti-Claus?

Seriously, I didn't see your post before composing my most recent response or I would've let it go there. I'm happy to drop the subject if you are.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:27 PM   #77
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

I'll buy that acting can be a hard job at times. It can't be fun to have to wake up at 5 in the morning, stand around for hours doing nothing, go through hours of make-up every day, be away from home for months at a time and have your privacy regularly invaded.

On the other hand, if actors don't like having the kind of life the vast majority of the world can only dream of, they can work 9 to 5 in an office or handle a cash register at the Dairy Queen for a living.

Isn't it ironic that the director, the person who should be upset that his take was ruined, couldn't care less about what happened and is perfectly willing to do it over but the actor is foaming at the mouth? Judging from what he says in the audio clip, "McG" doesn't care, so why should you?

Sure, a movie is a team effort but if anyone disciplines an employee, it's the boss. Not someone else hired to work for a project.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com

Last edited by EeneyMinnieMoe; 4th February 2009 at 02:41 PM.
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 02:33 PM   #78
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I propose that we send the phrase "going postal" to the recycle bin and replace it with "Bale-ing".
Old 4th February 2009, 02:52 PM   #79
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know what world Gumboot is living in ,but when the star of the second most sucessful film in history goes bonkers on a film set, that is going to be news when it leaks out.
I see nobody crucifying the guy,unless you consider poking fun at him for behaving like a jerk crucifiction.
Old 4th February 2009, 03:05 PM   #80
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Gumboot hit all the points I wanted to raise, but there is another small point worth mentioning. It seems like some of the arguments on this thread boil down to the notion that the job of creating a film must necessarily be less stressful than that of physical labor or of e.g. brain surgery, simply because the result of the work, the film itself, is "only" frivolous entertainment. I don't think I need to explain why when careers are on the line and, as Gumboot pointed out, money is at stake, the societal value of the final product is irrelevant. Working in the film industry, particularly for those on the backside of the camera but also for many actors, can be an astonishingly stressful gig.

Also, though this has no bearing on the Bale discussion (but was brought up earlier, I believe), one should not underestimate the physical labor involved in filmmaking. I worked in the grip department of a couple of features some years ago, and I've never in my life been so sore after coming home from my (standard) 14 hour days. It was a hell of a lot stress, and included some Bale-level incidents, but was also one of the more rewarding jobs I've had.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 4th February 2009 at 03:07 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts