ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th February 2009, 03:09 PM   #81
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
I'll buy that acting can be a hard job at times. It can't be fun to have to wake up at 5 in the morning, stand around for hours doing nothing, go through hours of make-up every day, be away from home for months at a time and have your privacy regularly invaded.

On the other hand, if actors don't like having the kind of life the vast majority of the world can only dream of, they can work 9 to 5 in an office or handle a cash register at the Dairy Queen for a living.

Isn't it ironic that the director, the person who should be upset that his take was ruined, couldn't care less about what happened and is perfectly willing to do it over but the actor is foaming at the mouth? Judging from what he says in the audio clip, "McG" doesn't care, so why should you?

Sure, a movie is a team effort but if anyone disciplines an employee, it's the boss. Not someone else hired to work for a project.

The director isn't the boss, by the way. In fact on a big Hollywood film the director's the most likely person to be fired.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 03:13 PM   #82
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
The director isn't the boss, by the way. In fact on a big Hollywood film the director's the most likely person to be fired.
That very thing happened halfway through a feature I was on, after which you could cut the on-set tension with a knife.

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 03:18 PM   #83
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't know what world Gumboot is living in ,but when the star of the second most sucessful film in history goes bonkers on a film set, that is going to be news when it leaks out.
I see nobody crucifying the guy,unless you consider poking fun at him for behaving like a jerk crucifiction.

I don't have any issue with people mocking him for behaving like a jerk. I bet the guy got a lot of stick from the crew after that incident. If they're anything like the crew I've worked with, Bale's rant was probably the running joke of the entire project. Mock "awards" are common at wrap parties, and I could see Bale being given a "Gentleman Award" or something.

No, I don't mind the mocking.

I do have an issue with people who are so quick to use this incident to argue that he is a jerk.

I'm trying to point out that you can't use this incident to make any meaningful judgments about Christian Bale's personality and whether he's a nice guy or not.

One of my pet hates is how the general population salivate over these out-of-context glimpses of the lives of celebrities and then makes these sweeping judgments about that person's personality, morality, or whatever.

Anyone who has much experience in film - particularly documentary film, understands well that if you monitor a person long enough - particularly in a stressful situation - you will always find enough material to portray them however you want.

That's why I would never, ever appear on one of those Survivor type shows.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 03:19 PM   #84
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
That does seem pretty a-holish. I don't approve of such behavior, and it's unacceptable regardless of who is exhibiting the behavior. If this is common behavior for him, then he really needs to see someone about his anger issues.
Glad we agree. Let's go get ice cream.
Old 4th February 2009, 03:22 PM   #85
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by gumboot
So I'm not willing to crucify the guy over a single audio clip. Sorry.
That's okay.

Neither is anyone else.

In case you missed the memo, there's history with Bale that goes beyond just one or two audio clips.
Old 4th February 2009, 03:30 PM   #86
roger
Penultimate Amazing

I know nothing about film, but I've worked construction (one summer), and I've spent a lot of time cooking in kitchens. That rant seemed pretty mild. When knives start flying in the kitchen (and yes, literally, I've observed this), you think "hmm, is something bothering Henry".

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 03:34 PM   #87
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
That's okay.

Neither is anyone else.

In case you missed the memo, there's history with Bale that goes beyond just one or two audio clips.

Ah yes, a history... that history would be the unsupported allegation of verbal assault against his mother would it? The incident that happened a couple of days after this one?

My, my, he yelled at his mommy. How dare he. Apparently she was mouthing off about his wife at the time. Of course a self-respecting person like yourself would never ever get into a shouting match with your relatives, would you?

Yeah, Bale is a total loose cannon.

Old 4th February 2009, 03:41 PM   #88
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that assault was purely verbal, and "wife and mother" just equated to "mother".

Glad you're so read-up, though. Glad to see that you're certainly good at educating yourself on a subject and reading posts before responding.

I'm sure you'll have more rolling eyes to impart. I certainly don't want to plague this thread with them, so I'll spare you mine.
Old 4th February 2009, 03:50 PM   #89
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Okay people let's get some facts straight please?

1) No one is saying acting is "harder" than another job. All that has been said is that filmmaking is a particularly stressful job, and that for an actor in particular it is very emotional. I am sure working in a factory or doing brain surgery is hard work, and can be quite stressful. I'd be willing to bet enormous amounts of money that it doesn't even hold a candle to the level of emotional stress you're exposed to on a film set.

On the point of money... one of the major stresses on a big film set is the knowledge that you're burning huge sums of money every time you delay. A decade ago the set of Xena cost $10,000 an hour to run, so I'd imagine that something like the set of T4 today would be costing $20,000 an hour easily. It doesn't matter if you're being paid $20 million or $10 an hour, you feel the stress of that pressure. The producer makes sure everyone feels that stress. It's actually one of the major factors for why productions shot on film tend to be better than productions shot on video - with film everyone is conscious that you're burning money, so everyone is more focused and on their game.

I highlight this because while working hard won't cause emotional outbursts, and even while being stressed may not cause emotional outbursts, being emotionally stressed certainly will.

2) There are particular circumstances that make this individual more prone to such an outburst. Firstly, he's a pretty intensive method actor. Those attempting to trash the film to refute this are way off base. Firstly, you haven't seen the film or read a script so you have NO idea whether there's much acting involved. Secondly, there's no direct relationship between the intensity an actor gives to a role and the amount of intensity a given role requires. Keanu Reeves is a prime example of a (particularly bad) actor who gives huge intensity to cardboard cut out characters.

Secondly, if reports are to believed, Bale took the death of Heath Ledger (six months earlier) particularly hard, as the two of them had become quite close shooting The Dark Knight. Bale was reportedly very angry about his death because he felt the two of them could have become close friends. I'm willing to give the man some slack.

Lastly, context is everything. This guy who screwed up on set here wasn't the runner or a lighting trainee. It was the DP. Maybe this guy was pissing everyone off with his behaviour. Even a 1st AD would be quite hesitant about telling a DP what to do, and in this case the director has a work history with the DP so that's going to make it harder. Bale may very well have been the only person on set who could tell this guy to cut it out and get away with it. But he's got the entire resentment and annoyance of the whole crew behind him; he's a spokesman for the frustration of every department of people who has been working so hard.

Because that's what it feels like on a film set. Everyone works together towards this single goal of getting the perfect take, and when some retard screws it up the ENTIRE CREW feel like their hard work has been betrayed. Not just some individual actor. But the actors, right there in the middle of the set, are most exposed to everyone's resentment and frustration, and they feel it more than anyone.

Now, I'm sure some of you think I'm trying to argue that acting is some sort of magical special job that excuses behaving badly, but you've got it wrong, that's not what I am saying at all. I'm just trying to get people to appreciate that this sort of acting puts you in a unique situation. Not necessarily more difficult, not necessarily more "special" but it's unique. The dynamic of that context lends itself to opening up people to that sort of outburst.

3) The infraction that caused the rant, while maybe not perceived as serious to non film people, is VERY serious in the context of the film industry. I cannot stress enough how absolutely wrong it is to do what the DP did. Frankly the most astounding thing for me is that such a high level DP would do something that ridiculously unprofessional on such a high profile film set. I don't agree with Bale's methods for expressing himself, but I agree with his sentiment.

4) Last point, please pay attention. THIS SORT OF THING IS COMMON IN THE FILM INDUSTRY. Don't weep about the poor DPs hurt feelings. I am sure he's done similar things to lighting assistants under his direction before. DPs are the worst offenders as far as these off-the-handle rants go - British DPs are world famous for it to the point that the psychotic ranting British DP is practically an industry cliche. Maybe you think this sort of thing is unprofessional. Maybe you think it's totally unacceptable. Fine. Don't ever work in the film industry. (Likewise I'd recommend you never join the military, or work in Gordon Ramsay's kitchen). Most ironic of all is seeing people excuse James Cameron's behaviour because he makes good films. Talk about double standards.

I see nothing newsworthy here. The First Assistant Director said it wasn't an issue at all, that Bale was totally fine and professional the rest of the shoot, and that there were no issues with him and the DP. The 1st AD should know, because he's the one in charge of the set.

And before you ask why he didn't stop Bale's tirade, one of your crucial roles as an AD is to manage personalities, and this AD had worked with Bale before. I'm guessing he knew Bale would calm down and go back to his usual professional self as soon as the incident was over. In this situation you shut up, you take it, and you move on. The worst thing you can try and do is justify yourself or talk reason to the ranter, which it sounds like the DP did.

There is, of course, one other thing to consider. I have no idea what the context of the scene is, so this is purely speculation, but it's possible the rant was a performance for the benefit of his co-star. If he needed her to be afraid or shocked at him, doing something like this immediately before another take would be perfect. I only suggest this because Bale did his first major acting job with Steven Spielberg, and Spielberg is famous for crossing the line between the set and the scene in order to get real reactions from his actors.

It's a possibility. The message is - don't assume you know all of the context, because in the film industry, you most certainly don't. Hell, I wouldn't put it past the production team that the entire thing is a publicity stunt.

For anyone who is interesting in where I am coming from, I am an Assistant Director, so I work intimately with cast, and I run film sets. I've also been acting since I was a child. No, I've never had a rant like that. No, I don't think I ever would. People cope with the unique stress of a film set in different ways. But what I do know is while I've seen total asshats spew anger, I have also seen really decent, kind, professional people go off on rants just like the Christian Bale one. So I'm not willing to crucify the guy over a single audio clip. Sorry.
Yeah, pretty much this.

ETA: It's also worth mentioning that many method actors can't just slip in and out of character. It takes time to wind up and time to wind down. For some it takes hours for some days.

Last edited by 332nd; 4th February 2009 at 03:57 PM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 03:51 PM   #90
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

Really? That's all you got out of it? "Blow everything up"? That describes Terminator 3 pretty well; it was just blowing things up.

It didn't have half of the message of T2 or T1, though, or the Sarah Connor Chronicles, all of which involve quite a bit more than just "blowing everything up". But yeah, art is subjective. I'm pretty sure that it's objectively true that there was a philosophical backdrop, and real depth to the characters, of T1, T2, and TSSC. Now, you can say that you don't *like* that particular depth, or that the philosophy was "weak" (much like one could say of The Matrix Trilogy), but you can't deny that it's *there*.
Again, we all get to like what we like.

Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
What an odd thing to say. This seems to imply that transplating Pauly Shore for Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump would make no difference at all.
Just because you inferred it does not mean I implied it. I would not argue there are skill levels in acting, but my comment compared acting to ditch digging. I stand by what I said.

Further, you seem to imply that Pauly Shore doesn't work hard. He may not be your taste (or mine) but developing a comic character like that takes effort and committment. And once created, it's much harder to find vehicles to put that character in front of the public. Great actors are pinned by stereotypes quite often. Fred Gwynne and Jason Alexander come to mind.

... jmcvann made an absurd claim that acting is "a piece of cake"...
...compared to ditch digging!

Keith Ledger enjoyed his role and wanted to continue it, that's why he took pills to push himself...
Wow! And you know the last part of this how? This comment will make all of your future comments much harder to consider.

Both jmcvann and dudalb were perferctly happy to use this incident as an excuse disparage "acting" in general...
Wait...what??? I an actor! I certainly would not disparage my craft. I know that it is easier than ditch digging!!

No one is saying acting is "harder" than another job. All that has been said is that filmmaking is a particularly stressful job, and that for an actor in particular it is very emotional.
I would argue that stage acting is much harder - emotionally - than film acting. On stage you have to get in character and stay there for 2, 3, 4 hours. No scene in film is more than a few minutes. It may be physically harder, but most films aren't even harder in that area.

Quote:
On the point of money... one of the major stresses on a big film set is the knowledge that you're burning huge sums of money every time you delay.
I'm guessing most actors let the director and producer worry about the money.

Quote:
There are particular circumstances that make this individual more prone to such an outburst. Firstly, he's a pretty intensive method actor.
Because he has chosen to be a method actor gains him no pity from me. If it works for him, fine, but it is not necessary. Anthony Hopkins is not a method actor. In my opinion, Hopkins is a much better actor than Bale. (Art is subjective.)
Old 4th February 2009, 04:04 PM   #91
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jmcvann View Post
Wait...what??? I an actor! I certainly would not disparage my craft. I know that it is easier than ditch digging!!
I'm an actor too and couldn't disagree more.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:06 PM   #92
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by jmcvan
Wow! And you know the last part of this how? This comment will make all of your future comments much harder to consider.
I've heard this often enough to not care.

Can't take that I might actually be wrong on something, and don't have the courtesy to show me exactly where I went wrong?

Guess what? I don't care. I really don't. To me, you're just words on the screen. Words telling me that they'll ignore me, well, I say, just put me on your ignore list and save me the hassle of wasting time reading your post just to see it. I go with what I know on the situation, and from what I know, Keith Ledger was pushing himself for the role.

Forgive me if that doesn't stroke your ego the right way, and please, spare me.

I can make it easier on both of us and just throw you on my ignore list as well. That way, we don't ever have to bug each other again.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Lonewulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 04:07 PM   #93
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Method acting? He's in a Terminator movie, not in A Streetcar Named Desire.

Of course you shouldn't phone it in just because you happen to be doing a silly movie- the Batman franchise is pretty silly but he, the rest of the cast and the director elevated it and turned it into real art by taking it so seriously- but, still, it's a movie called Terminator Salvation.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 04:14 PM   #94
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Of course you shouldn't phone it in just because you happen to be doing a silly movie- the Batman franchise is pretty silly but he, the rest of the cast and the director elevated it and turned it into real art by taking it so seriously- but, still, it's a movie called Terminator Salvation.
I've worked with method actors on commercials. Once they get on the meth train there ain't no stops.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:58 PM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

My favorite bit on Method Actors is in "Shaun Of The Dead" where the one actress teaches Shaun and the other survivors how to act like Zombies using Method Acting tecniques. Classic.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 05:58 PM   #96
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

I've heard this often enough to not care.

Can't take that I might actually be wrong on something, and don't have the courtesy to show me exactly where I went wrong?
I have no idea what you just said.

Quote:
Guess what? I don't care. I really don't. To me, you're just words on the screen. Words telling me that they'll ignore me, well, I say, just put me on your ignore list and save me the hassle of wasting time reading your post just to see it.
I've never put anyone on ignore. People like you are far too entertaining to ignore.

Quote:
I go with what I know on the situation, and from what I know, Keith Ledger was pushing himself for the role.
You go with what you think you know. That's the problem. And when you wrote "Keith" the first time I thought it was a simple lapse. The guy's name is Heath. That you don't even know his name casts more doubt on what you claim to know about his death.

Quote:
Forgive me if that doesn't stroke your ego the right way, and please, spare me.

I can make it easier on both of us and just throw you on my ignore list as well. That way, we don't ever have to bug each other again.
Again, no. Watching the e-spittle fly in your posts is way too much fun.
Old 4th February 2009, 06:10 PM   #97
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

It's a movie.
About Batman.
I can see how any one scene can be so wrought with tension..
C'mon!
It's a freakin' live-action cartoon!
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 06:16 PM   #98
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
It's a movie.
About Batman.
C'mon!
I agree 100%. I also have no problem with people who think more of it. Art is subjective.
Old 4th February 2009, 06:55 PM   #99
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that assault was purely verbal, and "wife and mother" just equated to "mother".
It was his mother and sister actually, not his wife. And in the UK verbal assault is illegal. According to numerous sources the charge was one of verbal assault, not physical assault.

Given that neither the mother nor sister laid a complaint, nor were any charges laid, it's a total non-story.

Sounds to me like someone heard them arguing and called the police.

Old 4th February 2009, 07:01 PM   #100
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I would argue that stage acting is much harder - emotionally - than film acting. On stage you have to get in character and stay there for 2, 3, 4 hours. No scene in film is more than a few minutes. It may be physically harder, but most films aren't even harder in that area.
I disagree completely. It's vastly easier to remain in character on stage than in a film. Aside from this, that's not all I am talking about. A lot of the factors that make screen acting so emotionally stressful simply don't exist on stage.

Screen acting is the equivalent in theatre of trying to give your absolute best performance during a technical. Most theatre actors agree that technical rehearsal are the most difficult, and most theatre actors don't even try give a performance during a technical rehearsal.

I'm guessing most actors let the director and producer worry about the money.
Did you read my post? The producer generally makes sure everyone on set is worried about the money. It comes with the territory.

Because he has chosen to be a method actor gains him no pity from me.
Who asked you to pity him?

Last edited by gumboot; 4th February 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 4th February 2009, 07:07 PM   #101
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Someone else who can't read a post. There's absolutely no correlation between the perceived dramatic quality of a film, and the amount of dramatic effort the actors put into their performance.

Like I said, Keanu Reeves is known for going loopy on set to maintain intense character focus.

Another example is Eddie Murphy; despite being a comedy actor the director of Shrek said Murphy's intensity and focus was so great that for weeks he actually thought the actor despised him.

Viggo Mortensen's method acting efforts to become Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings films are legendary.

Every decent actor puts as much effort as they can into every role they do, no matter how "undeserving" you might think that role is of such attention.

Old 4th February 2009, 07:09 PM   #102
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

It's a movie.
About Batman.
C'mon!

Er... this happened on the set of the new Terminator film, not on Batman.

Old 4th February 2009, 07:11 PM   #103
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
I've worked with method actors on commercials. Once they get on the meth train there ain't no stops.

Exactly. Some people need to have a read of the vast elaborate back stories I've seen actors come up with for walk-on parts!

Old 4th February 2009, 07:28 PM   #104
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

I have no idea what you just said.
Really? It was written in plain English. Perhaps if you bothered to learn it, you may be able to communicate with others. Here's a breakdown:

--I said something about Heath () Ledger.

--You said I was wrong, and that you couldn't trust anything from me at all from that point onward.

--You did not provide me with any ACTUAL information of how Heath Ledger died. I.E., you did not correct the problem, you just pointed your finger and laughed, like a child, not an adult.

I certainly hope that was easy to understand. If not, I can make it even simpler:

"When you say someone's wrong, it's usually polite to say WHY they're wrong."

I hope that's better! I can't think of any other way of dumbing it down...

Quote:
I've never put anyone on ignore. People like you are far too entertaining to ignore.

You go with what you think you know. That's the problem. And when you wrote "Keith" the first time I thought it was a simple lapse. The guy's name is Heath. That you don't even know his name casts more doubt on what you claim to know about his death.
And yet, you provide nothing for me to go on, besides "you're wrong and everything you say from here on in must be wrong, too (presumably, regardless of subject)". You're right, it's Heath. For some reason, I keep hearing "Keith" when I think of his name.

Yes, I have a problem with names, and I got used to spelling it wrong. So horrible. It sure means I'm uneducated.

Quote:
Again, no. Watching the e-spittle fly in your posts is way too much fun.
I'm certainly glad you're entertained. If you had anything to correct me with on how he died, such as an article, or some bit of interesting information that, you know, educates people (the E in JREF, in case you missed it), you would have offered it by now, of course. It's obvious that you just need someone to artificially feel superior to.

As it is, I'll make the first move. As you're not interested in adult conversation, I'm not interested with any with you.

Welcome to the ignore list. Feel free to remain "entertained", however. I couldn't care less.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Lonewulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 07:33 PM   #105
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

It was his mother and sister actually, not his wife. And in the UK verbal assault is illegal. According to numerous sources the charge was one of verbal assault, not physical assault.

Given that neither the mother nor sister laid a complaint, nor were any charges laid, it's a total non-story.

Sounds to me like someone heard them arguing and called the police.
Well, okay.

Perhaps Bale isn't a bad person after all. Maybe he's a perfectly nice guy out in the real world with very few real negative quirks, and just an ******* at times in the acting studio. That's okay. I got no horse in this race. I admit I could be wrong. I certainly have been wrong many times before, when it comes to the acting studio; I admit I'm no expert when it comes to celebrities.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 4th February 2009, 07:38 PM   #106
Pardalis
Banned

The first AD is usually the one who gets fired first.

An actor told me earlier that Bale's tantrum could also be explained by him not being able to get in the mood of the scene, and by lashing out at the DP he got himself angry enough for the scene (sort of a way for him to get hyped up). Notice how he keeps saying they need to do another take right away, "Let's go again"?
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 07:42 PM   #107
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

If you think acting is easy or that it doesn't matter if the actor is distracted and the scene doesn't work when cut, I invite you to get your 8x10 color glossies put together and head out to Hollywood and audition. I know a thing or two about how hard it is to get though an audition, and how many people try their damnedest to get chosen even for small parts.

I also know a thing or two about how hard it is to put on a good performance when people are distracting you doing things they should not.

And finally, the only difference between what happened here and what happened a thousand times with a hundred actors you know and love is that somebody has the temerity to make this clip public. It wasn't right when they did it to Bill O'Reilly, when he was MUCH more abusive than this for much less of a issue on the set, and it wasn't right now.
Old 4th February 2009, 07:51 PM   #108
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Er... this happened on the set of the new Terminator film, not on Batman.
The difference would be?
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 07:54 PM   #109
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

The difference would be?
Reality?

Old 4th February 2009, 08:00 PM   #110
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
An actor told me earlier that Bale's tantrum could also be explained by him not being able to get in the mood of the scene, and by lashing out at the DP he got himself angry enough for the scene (sort of a way for him to get hyped up). Notice how he keeps saying they need to do another take right away, "Let's go again"?

Yeah that was in line with my thinking, actually. I thought he might have been doing it for the sake of his co-star, but it may have been to get himself in character also.

What people need to understand about method acting is they believe you cannot fake an emotion. If, in the scene, you are supposed to be angry, that means you actually have to become angry. If you can't manifest that internally from your own life experiences, you'll need to manifest it right there and then on the set.

I did a job once with an actor who told the whole crew that he'd sometimes interact with us in character and that no one should be hurt by it because he didn't mean anything by it.

Initially that was really weird, but after a while we all really got into it, and would initiate stuff ourselves to help him out. In the end it actually acted as a fantastic bonding exercise that brought us all together - we all felt like we had a claim to this guy's performance.

Old 4th February 2009, 08:01 PM   #111
Tbone
Graduate Poster

...compared to ditch digging!
So if I can dig a great ditch, I should be a shoe-in for an Oscar? All good actors of the world should be able to dig with the best of those other diggers? I really don't understand the point you're trying to make, other than the physical activity between digging and acting is different. Is physical activity the absolute only factor you see in how stressful and difficult a job is?

Of course, there's a counter-point to that as well. Christian Bale had to nearly go from the near-skeleton you see here to the physical condition you see him in Batman Begins in the space of 6 months. That has to put a tremendous amount of stress on your lungs, heart, and body in general. I don't I could see your average ditch digger doing that.

...besides, most people dig ditches with backhoes and excavators around here

Last edited by Tbone; 4th February 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Tbone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 08:05 PM   #112
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Tbone
So if I can dig a great ditch, I should be a shoe-in for an Oscar?
*headdesk*

Sigh. This thread is only going to get worse, isn't it?

To put it another way:

Not all jobs are equal.

Acting is hard, and can be hard, yes. But I don't think that it's uniquely difficult. But people want it to be treated uniquely, as there are many difficult professions that are very stressful and intensely hard on the mind and body that you just can't get away with yelling at length at people who are around. That was the point, at least, or the one I was pursuing. I don't think anyone was really suggesting that anyone can act, or that anyone can be a successful actor, or that acting can be accomplished overnight.

Perhaps the whole acting gig does require a different pair of gloves. I don't know.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 4th February 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:13 PM   #113
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

Quote:
If you think acting is easy ...
Two of my favorite quotes. Both by John Malkovich. I would consider him the best actor mentioned in this thread so far, except for, perhaps, Anthony Hopkins. The quotes:

"You can't work in the movies. Movies are all about lighting. Very few filmmakers will concentrate on the story. You get very little rehearsal time, so anything you do onscreen is a kind of speed painting."

"I've always felt that if you can't make money as an actor, you`re either incredibly stupid or tragically unlucky."
Old 4th February 2009, 08:22 PM   #114
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
So if I can dig a great ditch, I should be a shoe-in for an Oscar? All good actors of the world should be able to dig with the best of those other diggers?
*sigh* [sarcasm on] yes. exactly what i said. all actors are equal.[sarcasm off] oh, and the best actor doesn't always win the oscar, either.

Quote:
Christian Bale had to nearly go from the near-skeleton you see here to the physical condition you see him in Batman Begins in the space of 6 months.
in his mansion. with his trainer. or after driving his beemer to the gym. or being driven while he checks his bank account. you've got me. much harder than the ditch digger.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:25 PM   #115
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Reality?
It's BATMAN! and TERMINATOR!
These are... sit down, take a deep breath, and contemplate.. FICTION!
Comic book FICTION!
Old 4th February 2009, 08:25 PM   #116
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

You did not provide me with any ACTUAL information of how Heath Ledger died.
we know HOW he died. you made an assumption of WHY he died.

Quote:
As you're not interested in adult conversation, I'm not interested with any with you.

Welcome to the ignore list.
wait...WHO is taking their ball and going home?
Old 4th February 2009, 08:32 PM   #117
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

...I'm sorry.

Can someone please remind me what we were even talking about?
Old 4th February 2009, 08:34 PM   #118
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

It's BATMAN! and TERMINATOR!
These are... sit down, take a deep breath, and contemplate.. FICTION!
Comic book FICTION!
That's nice. What exactly is your point?

Old 4th February 2009, 08:55 PM   #119
Number Six
JREF Kid

Geez, what an ass. I don't know what that guy is like in the rest of his life but there's no excuse for treating someone like that. Do you think there's ever been a scene where everything was set up perfectly and that guy flubbed a line and it had to be re-done? Of course there has although even if there hasn't that doesn't excuse treating someone that way.

If someone on that set had gone over to Bales and simply beat the hell out of him for talking like that then that person might have lost his job but he'd more than make up for it if it all became public, including the abuse Bales was dishing out. He'd become a folk hero.

And someone said it wasn't as bad as O'Reilly?...are you talking about that 90 clip where O'Reilly says "f*** it, we'll do it live?" If so there is no comparison between that and what Bales did. Go back and watch the O'Reilly clip again.

Last edited by Number Six; 4th February 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Number Six is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 09:05 PM   #120
Tbone
Graduate Poster

in his mansion. with his trainer. or after driving his beemer to the gym. or being driven while he checks his bank account. you've got me. much harder than the ditch digger.
Yeah, this is just going to become a tennis match with strawman arguements, so I'm just going to end it (hurray for Internet arguements).

*headdesk*

Sigh. This thread is only going to get worse, isn't it?
Not neccessarily

To put it another way:

Not all jobs are equal.

Acting is hard, and can be hard, yes. But I don't think that it's uniquely difficult. But people want it to be treated uniquely, as there are many difficult professions that are very stressful and intensely hard on the mind and body that you just can't get away with yelling at length at people who are around. That was the point, at least, or the one I was pursuing. I don't think anyone was really suggesting that anyone can act, or that anyone can be a successful actor, or that acting can be accomplished overnight.

Perhaps the whole acting gig does require a different pair of gloves. I don't know.
So, basically, not something you would call "a piece of cake." Pretty much everyone alive and dead has, at some point in their lives, lost control over some relatively insignificant thing, something they should have just ignored and moved on. But I've flipped out at people and people have flipped out at me. Almost always apologies were presented, accepted, and things moved on. But occasionally not, and things suffered. So if this incident caused the movie to go under, or someone to get fired unjustly (as was threatened), but Bale was let off the hook because of his celebrity, that would be preferential treatment. Bale settling down afterwards (perhaps apologising, I won't speculate outside parenthesis) and getting back to work is not a unique treatment. For most of the planet, that's normal.

For the record, I have a huge heterosexual man-crush on Christian Bale, and not just he's the freakin' Batman
Tbone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts