ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:32 PM   #121
Number Six
JREF Kid

Maybe I'm an exception but I can never in my life recall talking to someone like Bales talks to that guy and I'm certain that if I ever did then it was only for a few seconds. For someone to talk to someone else like that for four solid minutes is unusual.
Number Six is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2009, 10:48 PM   #122
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
Someone else who can't read a post. There's absolutely no correlation between the perceived dramatic quality of a film, and the amount of dramatic effort the actors put into their performance.

Like I said, Keanu Reeves is known for going loopy on set to maintain intense character focus.

Another example is Eddie Murphy; despite being a comedy actor the director of Shrek said Murphy's intensity and focus was so great that for weeks he actually thought the actor despised him.

Viggo Mortensen's method acting efforts to become Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings films are legendary.

Every decent actor puts as much effort as they can into every role they do, no matter how "undeserving" you might think that role is of such attention.
Obviously, it would be very disrespectful and inconsiderate to let other people working with you know that you are not taking the job very seriously but, well, it's a Terminator movie! How ridiculous it is to bring method acting to it?

Unless John Connor gets laid off work, abuses his wife, gets sent to prison, becomes an alcocholic or exposes a corrupt union, all that is really called for is to walk on set, read the lines and get off.

You'd think most sane people would consider it an opportunity for some light-hearted fun while marking time between real work. A chance to party and socialize alot, like the cast of Charlie's Angels reportedly did.

I think the difference between someone like Eddie Murphy and Keanu Reeves is that Reeves is being just silly and Murphy is doing real work. Comedy is even harder to do than drama- harder to write, harder to act- and does demand alot of discipline and effort to create. That's something you do need to stay up long hours writing on the computer for and hours going over with your writers and castmates. And something you need to spend alot of time working on alone, too.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com

Last edited by EeneyMinnieMoe; 4th February 2009 at 10:55 PM.
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 02:30 AM   #123
dtugg
Banned

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
Obviously, it would be very disrespectful and inconsiderate to let other people working with you know that you are not taking the job very seriously but, well, it's a Terminator movie! How ridiculous it is to bring method acting to it?

Unless John Connor gets laid off work, abuses his wife, gets sent to prison, becomes an alcocholic or exposes a corrupt union, all that is really called for is to walk on set, read the lines and get off.

You'd think most sane people would consider it an opportunity for some light-hearted fun while marking time between real work. A chance to party and socialize alot, like the cast of Charlie's Angels reportedly did.

I think the difference between someone like Eddie Murphy and Keanu Reeves is that Reeves is being just silly and Murphy is doing real work. Comedy is even harder to do than drama- harder to write, harder to act- and does demand alot of discipline and effort to create. That's something you do need to stay up long hours writing on the computer for and hours going over with your writers and castmates. And something you need to spend alot of time working on alone, too.
Perhaps he is trying to get in character. Perhaps he is John Connor. Being John Connor would be more stressful than any character that I can imagine. So, what if the premise is ridiculous? That doesn't mean that the actor portraying him isn't attempting to become the character. Great actors do that and I think that Bale is a great actor.

Personally I don't give a damn that Bale chewed out this dumbass for a few minutes. I will still watch the movie and it will probably be well done. He might be a jerk with a bad temper, but so what. Nobody would even care if he wasn't Batman.
dtugg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 03:35 AM   #124
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

*pokes nose into thread*

What's all this about? We're judging an audio clip out of context without any personal experience of any of the people involved?

I'm up for that! His rant was hilarious. Made me laugh for a few minutes. The guy got into Bale's eyeline during a take, he was a jerk. Bale yelled at him for longer than anyone could have thought possible, he was a jerk.

Everyone's a jerk! Yay! Who knew that long hours and emotional careers such as movies would result in spats?

What's next?

Last edited by tkingdoll; 5th February 2009 at 03:36 AM.
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 05:56 AM   #125
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

You don't seem to understand. Method actors always act that way. That's their way of acting. Like Redtail said, they'll use the method on a TV commercial.

You're also making the mistake of judging a film by it's predecessors. Neither I nor you have any idea what the dramatic context is of this new Terminator film.

Great, so no one should ever dare attempt to improve a genre by injecting some quality drama into it? Why try bother with any character development in Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line? Your average war film is just a hero firing from a hip against a backdrop of special effects.

Getting fired? Domestic violence? Alcoholism? Please. You know what's really emotionally intense and strenuous? Trying to save the entire human race from murderous robots.

Wow. Just wow.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 06:02 AM   #126
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Yeah, this is just going to become a tennis match with strawman arguements, so I'm just going to end it (hurray for Internet arguements).
Tell me about it.

Quote:
So, basically, not something you would call "a piece of cake."
Really not. There's many jobs I wouldn't call "a piece of cake", though.

Quote:
Pretty much everyone alive and dead has, at some point in their lives, lost control over some relatively insignificant thing, something they should have just ignored and moved on. But I've flipped out at people and people have flipped out at me. Almost always apologies were presented, accepted, and things moved on. But occasionally not, and things suffered. So if this incident caused the movie to go under, or someone to get fired unjustly (as was threatened), but Bale was let off the hook because of his celebrity, that would be preferential treatment. Bale settling down afterwards (perhaps apologising, I won't speculate outside parenthesis) and getting back to work is not a unique treatment. For most of the planet, that's normal.
Good point. If the man WAS fired, that would be a big deal. If it all resolved itself and people apologized and went out for ice cream (okay, that part's optional), then no problem.

Quote:
For the record, I have a huge heterosexual man-crush on Christian Bale, and not just he's the freakin' Batman
Eh. I found him more convincing as Bruce Wayne than as Batman. That's not necessarily a point in his direction.

Either way, I'm neutral on Bale.
Old 5th February 2009, 06:47 AM   #127
tomwaits
Master Poster

As a side note, there was a hilarious bit on Stephen Colbert the other day about this. He berated Steve Martin who kept walking on camera. "WE ARE DONE, PROFESSIONALLY!"
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 06:59 AM   #128
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
I've heard this often enough to not care.

Can't take that I might actually be wrong on something, and don't have the courtesy to show me exactly where I went wrong?

Guess what? I don't care. I really don't. To me, you're just words on the screen. Words telling me that they'll ignore me, well, I say, just put me on your ignore list and save me the hassle of wasting time reading your post just to see it. I go with what I know on the situation, and from what I know, Keith Ledger was pushing himself for the role.

Forgive me if that doesn't stroke your ego the right way, and please, spare me.

I can make it easier on both of us and just throw you on my ignore list as well. That way, we don't ever have to bug each other again.
Who is this "Keith" Ledger?
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 07:06 AM   #129
Lonewulf
Humanistic Cyborg

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Who is this "Keith" Ledger?
I corrected myself already. Sheesh.

Last edited by Lonewulf; 5th February 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Lonewulf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 08:38 AM   #130
Buckaroo
Graduate Poster

Getting fired? Domestic violence? Alcoholism? Please. You know what's really emotionally intense and strenuous? Trying to save the entire human race from murderous robots.
I think this may become my new signature line.

"When you're slapped you'll take it and like it." -- Sam Spade
Buckaroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 09:54 AM   #131
jmcvann
Navel Gazer

(Noting the smiley, this is more for others than you, gumboot)

It is much harder to act in a manner that will resonate with people (the audience) who have actually seen or gone through getting fired, domestic violence, etc., than it is to portray how someone would behave in a totally ridiculous situation. In the latter, you could do almost anything since people will have no frame of reference. But I guarantee you what we will get is lots of tense neck muscles, wide-open eyes and people shouting "Run! Run!" as they are the only "logical" choices.

I will say again, though, that movies appeal to wide ranges of audience. And that's a good thing. I don't want all movies to appeal to me. I have seen the previous Terminator movies, but only on TV as I would not pay to see those. I find them campy fun. Others find them to have a deeper message. No one is wrong. I think Picasso is over-rated and I cannot stand Phillip Glass. Other people find them brilliant. No one is wrong.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:45 AM   #132
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
As a side note, there was a hilarious bit on Stephen Colbert the other day about this. He berated Steve Martin who kept walking on camera. "WE ARE DONE, PROFESSIONALLY!"

I got a feeling that line has already entered into the language, and will haunt Bale for a long,long,time to come.
Bale is certainly taking a PR hit over this, and frankly, deserves to. I am not saying he is a total a--wipe,but some angry managements sessions would not hurt.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 01:41 PM   #133
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Great, so no one should ever dare attempt to improve a genre by injecting some quality drama into it? Why try bother with any character development in Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line? Your average war film is just a hero firing from a hip against a backdrop of special effects.
Though they both have bullets and blood, there's a huge difference between Saving Private Ryan and a campy action franchise. One's a great movie, the other is something even alot of the people who love it admit is fun trash. Comparing the two is like comparing a Rambo movie to The Deer Hunter.

Christian Bale is a great actor but, by me, he needs to get a sense of humor and healthy sense of deattachment from his work. That's true for all professions- whatever you do for a living, you shouldn't take yourself too seriously.

Colin Farrell is a pretty good actor and he admits his action flicks were nonsense to "put @$$e$ in seats".

EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 02:17 PM   #134
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Christian Bale is a great actor but, by me, he needs to get a sense of humor and healthy sense of deattachment from his work. That's true for all professions- whatever you do for a living, you shouldn't take yourself too seriously.
I think the key is take your work seriously, but not yourself.
I just cannot buy letting people off the hook for bad behavior because "they are passionate about their work". Controling your passions is what it is all about.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 02:31 PM   #135
LibraryLady
Emeritus

My favorite send up of method acting:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

A tomato doesn't sit down!
Old 5th February 2009, 05:50 PM   #136
Gangularis
Muse

LOL..

James Lipton does the Christian Bale rant..

http://www.hulu.com/watch/56219/late...-reenacts-bale

Last edited by Gangularis; 5th February 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Gangularis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 06:20 PM   #137
tomwaits
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gangularis View Post
LOL..

James Lipton does the Christian Bale rant..

http://www.hulu.com/watch/56219/late...-reenacts-bale
oh, my...

that was great.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 08:12 PM   #138
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I can tell most of you have never worked in filmmaking.

I have barely done much in the industry, myself. But, even I can attest to what gumboot is trying to say.

Does anyone have any idea how easily shots can be ruined by distractions like that? Well, obviously not that DP. But, still... it is rather frustrating.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2009, 08:22 PM   #139
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

If I ever exploded at a co-worker in front of everybody in the office like that, I'd be in very, very serious trouble.

Working on a film might be different than working at an agency, yes, but it's got to be unprofessional behavior to swear out a fellow employee anywhere.

Old 5th February 2009, 10:05 PM   #140
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

This must have been what made Charlie's Angels such a great film. Not quite as good as Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle, but still great.

Old 6th February 2009, 12:34 AM   #141
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Nice to know that James Lipton has a sense of humor!
Old 6th February 2009, 12:42 AM   #142
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

If I ever exploded at a co-worker in front of everybody in the office like that, I'd be in very, very serious trouble.

Working on a film might be different than working at an agency, yes, but it's got to be unprofessional behavior to swear out a fellow employee anywhere.
Not in Construction.
Not in Kitchen.
Not in The Military.
Not in theatre/film.

And that just from my experience off the top of my head.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:46 AM   #143
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Though they both have bullets and blood, there's a huge difference between Saving Private Ryan and a campy action franchise. One's a great movie, the other is something even alot of the people who love it admit is fun trash. Comparing the two is like comparing a Rambo movie to The Deer Hunter.

Colin Farrell is a pretty good actor and he admits his action flicks were nonsense to "put @$$e$ in seats".
So all people should be the way you think they should be... gotcha.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:50 AM   #144
Gangularis
Muse

I've worked in pizza shops, taxi jobs, CALL CENTERS - I guarantee there's nothing more stressful than working in a ****** cubicle call center environment.. especially customer support for internet service. Imagine how irritated you get when you lose internet connectivity. Imagine being on the receiving end of that anger, call, after call, after call, week after week after week..... And yet, you'd be out the door faster than you could say "this job sucks" if you acted out on your frustrations.

Bale needs to control his temper. Yes.. i understand it would be VERY frustrating to deal with that, when you're trying to focus But you don't go off on a tirade, and then justify it by saying it's frustrating. That's what little children get away with, not adults.
A lot of jobs require a great deal of focus, and can be very frustrating when someone or something ruins that focus.. but to go off like an atom bomb is a completely unprofessional way to deal with it.. further more, if you're making millions of dollars, and being made famous by those running the picture, I think it's petty to gripe in such a crude manor. Lodge a complaint, state your case, but don't go off on an condescending lunatic tirade that just makes you look like a jerk in front of everybody.. It's unprofessional, end of story.. There's no rationalizing it.

Last edited by Gangularis; 6th February 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Gangularis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 01:01 AM   #145
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

I've worked in pizza shops, taxi jobs, CALL CENTERS - I guarantee there's nothing more stressful than working in a ****** cubicle call center environment.. especially customer support for internet service.
No, I've done that too, not even close. Also you are forgetting that Bale is a big money draw. If you got tipped 10 bucks for every "successful"* call, and then had to split it 50/50** with the company you worked for, AND THEN someone who should know better screwed you up, who would catch hell? You or him?

*Successful being mediocre.
** Actors rarely get 80/20.
Old 6th February 2009, 01:18 AM   #146
Number Six
JREF Kid

Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
Not in Construction.
Not in Kitchen.
Not in The Military.
Not in theatre/film.

And that just from my experience off the top of my head.
They go off like that for four minutes straight? I would wager that the only time that ever happens for four minutes straight is when there is a severe imbalance in power between the abuse-r and the abuse-e, in which case the abuse-r knows s/he can treat the abuse-e that poorly and get away with it because of the power imbalance.

One instance might be the military where part of the deal going in is that someone of a higher rank is allowed to treat people of lower rank like garbage. Another might be some sports situation where the coach can treat the players like crap, although that stereotype might be enhanced by the Bobby Knights of the world. In some instances the player might be famous too but still the expectation often is that the coach is boss and can do whatever he likes. Another might be in films where the actors are famous and the crew is anonymous and replaceable. What's going to be bigger news, if famous actor Christian Bale is replaced on a movie or if the key grip is replaced?

That kind of abuse would never happen in a relationship where there was any semblance of a power balance. If there was a power balance then after awhile the abuse-e would have had enough and either walk away or else stand up to the abuse-r. But the abuse-e in that audio clip probably had no other choice than to take the abuse unless he wanted to lose his job, and losing your job has much more severe consequence, financially speaking, when you're a film crew member than when you're the star of a film.

It reminds me of audio I've heard of domestic abuse relationships, where the guy just rains down insults on the woman and the woman just basically alternately apologizes or says nothing or tries to mollify the guy and yet the abuse just goes on and on and on. She's completely powerless. She's just waiting and hoping it ends. And the guy taking the abuse in that audio seemed completely powerless too. All he could do was apologize and wait and hope that Bale's anger passed. It was truly an ugly thing to hear.
Number Six is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 02:53 AM   #147
Gangularis
Muse

No, I've done that too, not even close. Also you are forgetting that Bale is a big money draw. If you got tipped 10 bucks for every "successful"* call, and then had to split it 50/50** with the company you worked for, AND THEN someone who should know better screwed you up, who would catch hell? You or him?

*Successful being mediocre.
** Actors rarely get 80/20.
You've done phone based tech support that's solely for home users having internet connectivity issues??
Even if that's so, how does that justify anything you're saying?
It doesn't.
One session being screwed up does not mean the movie got screwed up..
That's like saying one screwed up service call caused the entire company to go under.. and you got the blame for it.

You're trying to rationalize childish behavior. Bale is making buttloads of money.. all he has to do is ACT in front of a camera.. There's so much more work that goes into these films.. especially those that are filled with special effects. Who do you think makes more money? The guy creating all of the CGI of a film, or the actor that reads lines off of a script? Who do you think works the longest hours, of the two? Your contrarian justification for his behavior is pure rationalization. He has every right to get upset, and lodge a complaint, or even bitch about it - in private - with his personal hairdresser. What you don't do, as a professional, is blow your top in front of everybody.. That's simply NOT what a professional, no matter the line of work, does..

Last edited by Gangularis; 6th February 2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 6th February 2009, 03:14 AM   #148
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Number Six View Post
They go off like that for four minutes straight? I would wager that the only time that ever happens for four minutes straight is when there is a severe imbalance in power between the abuse-r and the abuse-e, in which case the abuse-r knows s/he can treat the abuse-e that poorly and get away with it because of the power imbalance.
Yes, and more. Not every time mind you, but often enough.

Quote:
One instance might be the military where part of the deal going in is that someone of a higher rank is allowed to treat people of lower rank like garbage. Another might be some sports situation where the coach can treat the players like crap, although that stereotype might be enhanced by the Bobby Knights of the world. In some instances the player might be famous too but still the expectation often is that the coach is boss and can do whatever he likes. Another might be in films where the actors are famous and the crew is anonymous and replaceable. What's going to be bigger news, if famous actor Christian Bale is replaced on a movie or if the key grip is replaced?
Yeah, that's the point. Other than friends or family who would care if the key grip gets replaced?

Quote:
That kind of abuse would never happen in a relationship where there was any semblance of a power balance. If there was a power balance then after awhile the abuse-e would have had enough and either walk away or else stand up to the abuse-r.
Agreed. Then again who said there was a sembalnce of power?

Quote:
But the abuse-e in that audio clip probably had no other choice than to take the abuse unless he wanted to lose his job, and losing your job has much more severe consequence, financially speaking, when you're a film crew member than when you're the star of a film.
Kinda... I worked grounds at a ren faire last summer. My boss was a *****. When she found out last week that I have an MFA in Acting and I was only there because my fiancee was living in a big city(Chicago) for the first time and wanted me there, bosslady begged me to come back this year. I won't unless she pays through the nose. I may have other options, she may too. If she does and I don't, I'll either deal with it and hope it won't hurt me or cave and take the job. If she doesn't and I do, she'll do the same. It's how the bussiness works.

Quote:
It reminds me of audio I've heard of domestic abuse relationships, where the guy just rains down insults on the woman and the woman just basically alternately apologizes or says nothing or tries to mollify the guy and yet the abuse just goes on and on and on. She's completely powerless. She's just waiting and hoping it ends.
It reminds me of Undergrad and Grad and many other jobs.

Quote:
And the guy taking the abuse in that audio seemed completely powerless too. All he could do was apologize and wait and hope that Bale's anger passed. It was truly an ugly thing to hear.
Yeah it was very ugly. So was what they guy did. I don't think it was worth what Bale gave him but that's what he got. Having said that, my head prof in grad is hated by many who know him. I've gotten work because I put up with him. (I've been yelled at by RIs and it was far worse and far longer, the biggest chore at the time was not to seem bored or find him funny). Others who yelled back out kicked out, but, got work because of it... Theatre/ Film is filled with egos, if one can't handle it one should leave.

Last edited by 332nd; 6th February 2009 at 04:56 AM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 03:46 AM   #149
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

You've done phone based tech support that's solely for home users having internet connectivity issues??
Even if that's so, how does that justify anything you're saying?
It doesn't.
No I haven't. Have you acted on camera before?

Quote:
That's like saying one screwed up service call caused the entire company to go under.. and you got the blame for it.
No, it's like you saying you were on the phone and were fiddling with a $20,000 piece of equipment (for no reason other than you just liked to do it) and then totaled it... and your boss said "meh".

Quote:
You're trying to rationalize childish behavior. Bale is making buttloads of money.. all he has to do is ACT in front of a camera..
If that's all he has to do then why aren't you doing it? (It's FAR harder than you think.)

Quote:
There's so much more work that goes into these films.. especially those that are filled with special effects.
I do this for a living so I know this. I have to wonder though, is if the story was that Bale was horsing around on set, between takes and wrecked lights, and Hurlbut went off on him, would you be so hard on him?
Quote:
Who do you think makes more money? The guy creating all of the CGI of a film, or the actor that reads lines off of a script?
What does CGI have to do with this? Ah well, The actor does. (Granted this shows your utter ignorance of acting and how hard an actor works... But then all you did was pick up a phone...)

Quote:
Who do you think works the longest hours, of the two?
It depends but the actor is likely. (In undergrad and grad I was at school at 8am and left at 6pm... unless I was in a show then I left at 10:30pm-11:00pm... Except for tech week then it was 12:00am-1:00am.)
Quote:
Your contrarian justification for his behavior is pure rationalization.
And your justification is...?

Quote:
He has every right to get upset, and lodge a complaint, or even bitch about it - in private - with his personal hairdresser.
Says who?

Quote:
What you don't do, as a professional, is blow your top in front of everybody.. That's simply NOT what a professional, no matter the line of work, does..

Call me after a couple of wet techs.

Last edited by 332nd; 6th February 2009 at 04:52 AM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 04:14 AM   #150
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I've worked in pizza shops, taxi jobs, CALL CENTERS - I guarantee there's nothing more stressful than working in a ****** cubicle call center environment.. especially customer support for internet service.

*sigh*

Once more with feeling; the unique issue with acting is not that it is particularly stressful, but that it is particularly emotional.

Follow along closely. It is an actor's job to be emotional. It is an actor's job to be angry. These are not side effects, or signs of a poor actor. They are a requirement.

Was it your job, at the call centre, to be angry? No. Did your career future rely on you being really incredibly angry? No. So why do you think there's any relevance comparing that job to acting?

Some of you keep making remarks along the lines of "If I got angry like that at my job I'd be fired".

Is it a job requirement for any of your jobs that you are highly emotional and often angry?

No it isn't.

In fact, for anyone working in customer service, it's a requirement of the job that you don't get angry or emotional.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 04:49 AM   #151
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

They were covering the story this morning on the BBC, or, rather, were about to. They gave a warning that people might want to block their ears and started to play the tape. When it was apparent that the tape had not been bleeped, they stopped it suddenly, apologised and went on to another story without explaining what the incident actually was.

Oops.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 05:10 AM   #152
ArmillarySphere
Muse

zooterkin: *laugh*

As far as I can tell from the transcript, what pissed Bale off was how the DR kept justifying himself. The rule of any human interaction is that if you screw up, fess up. Nothing less will satisfy, or there's no guarantee you won't do the same thing next time.
ArmillarySphere is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 07:01 AM   #153
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I'm not sure anyone thinks Bale was justified in screaming at the guy for nearly 4 minutes. What people like me have been saying is that the incident was nothing of significance, in the context of a film set.

You're trying to rationalize childish behavior. Bale is making buttloads of money.. all he has to do is ACT in front of a camera..
Um no.

Who do you think makes more money? The guy creating all of the CGI of a film, or the actor that reads lines off of a script?
Um, you really don't know what you're talking about. The main reason big-name actors get paid so much money is because of the advertising value their name brings. A huge part of their job is promoting the film, which usually involves months of work, traveling around the world, doing hundreds and hundreds of interviews, and trying to ensure you don't make a single wrong step and give the film bad publicity.

Who do you think works the longest hours, of the two?
Out of an actor or a graphic artist? An actor. Easily. And while the actor's away from their family for six months filming, then away for another six months while they promote the film, the graphic artist gets to leave work at the end of every day and go home to see his family. If he's feeling sick he can probably call in and have the day off. The actor just has to suck it up and do their job regardless of how they feel.

A standard shoot day on a film set is 12 hours, and 14 - 16 hours would be fairly typical (I've done plenty of 18+ hour days). If actors require a lot of make up or prosthetic work it will be even longer (it took 8 hours to do John Rhys Davies' makeup for the Lord of the Rings films). My friend is an artist for Weta Digital, and he works pretty long hours, but that's mainly because his girlfriend is living in London at the moment, so he's just working as much as he can. Most of his work mates work a fairly regular 9 - 6 kind of day, unless there's some special meeting or something in the evening.

Old 6th February 2009, 07:30 AM   #154
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

That kind of abuse would never happen in a relationship where there was any semblance of a power balance.
Film crews are very hierarchical.

But the abuse-e in that audio clip probably had no other choice than to take the abuse unless he wanted to lose his job, and losing your job has much more severe consequence, financially speaking, when you're a film crew member than when you're the star of a film.
Actually I disagree with that. If Bale managed to get the DP fired (unlikely), it's probably not going to harm the DPs career much at all. He'll be off that job, but the director will use him on his next job, and other directors will use the guy still. If he's a top level DP (and this guy is) he probably has his next couple of jobs lined up already.

In contrast if an actor behaved badly enough that they actually got booted off a set they'd probably have real trouble working again. Remember the major contribution a big-name actor makes to a film is advertising. Before his weirdo religion thing, Mel Gibson was considered a guaranteed 100 million at the box office.

But the industry is fickle, and an actor can literally go from super hot to used goods in the space of a couple of news articles. An actor with lost credibility who misbehaves on set is a liability, and people will dump him in favour of the next hottest star.

Old 6th February 2009, 07:32 AM   #155
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Like in most corporate environments? I might get in trouble if I acted this way in my office, but I'm sure those further up on the org chart wouldn't get more than a talking to from HR.

People keep talking about how famous people "get away" with this sort of thing, but they don't, really. Oh, they're not likely to get fired in the middle of a film, for obvious reasons, but, unlike the rest of us, their mistakes are recorded and distributed around the internet. And if an actor gets a reputation for being "difficult", they can have a very hard time getting future work.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 10:37 AM   #156
Number Six
JREF Kid

Yeah it was very ugly. So was what they guy did. I don't think it was worth what Bale gave him but that's what he got. Having said that, my head prof in grad is hated by many who know him. I've gotten work because I put up with him. (I've been yelled at by RIs and it was far worse and far longer, the biggest chore at the time was not to seem bored or find him funny). Others who yelled back out kicked out, but, got work because of it... Theatre/ Film is filled with egos, if one can't handle it one should leave.
It sounds to me like you're trying to equate what the guy did with what Bale did. There is no comparison. The guy made a mistake, as people do from time to time, _including_ Bale. Is Bale berated like that when he makes a mistake? No, and if someone tried to he wouldn't stand up for it. But he inflicts it on others because he can and he knows nobody will stop him. He's a bully.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:42 AM   #157
Number Six
JREF Kid

Actually I disagree with that. If Bale managed to get the DP fired (unlikely), it's probably not going to harm the DPs career much at all. He'll be off that job, but the director will use him on his next job, and other directors will use the guy still. If he's a top level DP (and this guy is) he probably has his next couple of jobs lined up already.
I was thinking in terms of, if a major star loses $20 M movie role he's still independently wealthy whereas if a regular guy it out of work for a month then it's a big deal because regular guys live much closer to the edge then do wealthy people. But if you factorr in the idea that wealthy people live a more lavish lifestyle and therefore they need a lot more money then I could see how losing a $20 M would be a big deal.
Old 6th February 2009, 11:22 AM   #158
ravdin
Illuminator

If anyone still cares, Bale has taken full responsibility for his tantrum:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/2009...ovies_eo/98799

So it looks like everything will be all right. The cameraman has his job and lots of public sympathy, Bale has grown up a little, and the rest of us have had a few good laughs at a famous person's expense.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2009, 11:26 AM   #159
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So because they have a job the requires them to be emotional actors have a right to behave any way they damn well please?
Sorry, I am STILL not buying it. There is such a thing as rules of halfway decent behavior, and I have not been shown that ANYBODY has a right to be exempt.
No one is arguing that the DP was not out of line and Bale had a right to get upset. It is how overboard Bale was that is causing the critiscism.
Frankly, this is just the "Talented Sensative Artist are above the rules" crapola all over again.
Old 6th February 2009, 11:29 AM   #160
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
If anyone still cares, Bale has taken full responsibility for his tantrum:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/2009...ovies_eo/98799

So it looks like everything will be all right. The cameraman has his job and lots of public sympathy, Bale has grown up a little, and the rest of us have had a few good laughs at a famous person's expense.

Case closed, except for what SNL will do with this.
I hope Bale has learned from this, and he might get a little professional help with his anger. If not, it might really get him into trouble.
Look, I have been around actors enough to know that it is an emotional job. But, dammit, you have to learn to control it, you have to learn to be able to turn it off, although maybe not instantly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts