ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th February 2009, 02:37 PM   #1
yrreg
Master Poster

What's wrong with this definition of God: maker of heaven and earth and everything?

Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post

[...]
Posted by yrreg
I am exasperated with atheists way of thinking and speaking, like repeating the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Santa Claus, Xenu, etc. argument against God which I understand to be:

"Maker of heaven and earth and everything."

I've asked before, but I'll try again. Do you have a better definition of God, because that one's really terrible. I mean it's just no use to your argument at all.

What's exactly, specifically wrong with my definition of God?
as maker of heaven and earth and everything.

Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Wally
Thinker

Too vague.
Wally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Minarvia
fading orb

I'd say, too vague. And I'd say, until heaven is proved to be real, how can you include that in a definition?
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Tanstaafl
Unindicted Co-conspirator

Yes, it's too vague.

How are you supposed to know which people to hate from only that?

Expelled exposed!
Sylvia Browne
Tanstaafl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 02:52 PM   #5
yrreg
Master Poster

That's not being exact and specific; please be exact and specific.

Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Too vague.

That is why I am very exasperated in exchange of ideas with you guys, you tend to tergiversate and/or prevaricate and even calumniate, instead of being exact and specific in reacting to the issue.

Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

The problem is that you have yet to offer any supporting evidence that this is true.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 02:54 PM   #7
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Please see the half dozen threads you've posted in where this was explained to you for pages and pages in formulations of various numbers of words.

In fact, I think this might be the challenge for this thread.

Who can tell me what's wrong with this definition in the form of a limerick? First one to do so can pick the next format.
Old 11th February 2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

I we are simply discussing potential definitions of gods, there's no problem with it.

Just as I can define god as "a human-like father figure who lives on Mount Olympus and shoots lightning bolts at people" or "a creature made of spaghetti and meatballs that has supernatural powers".

Simply stating a definition has no relevance to the actual existence of the entity in question. And I'm just as justified in questioning/doubting/disbelieving the existence of Zeus or FSM as I am your god.

Heck, why don't I just define god as "the entity who created your god". My god is then, by definition, more powerful than yours. It has no actual impact on reality, of course...but if we're just talking definitions, then my god is, by definition, better than your god.
Old 11th February 2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Too vague.
Originally Posted by Minarvia View Post
I'd say, too vague.
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl View Post
Yes, it's too vague.

It's not exact and specific enough.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 11th February 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

That is why I am very exasperated in exchange of ideas with you guys, you tend to tergiversate and/or prevaricate and even calumniate, instead of being exact and specific in reacting to the issue.

Yrreg
But when people get exact and specific (even redundantly so) you demand that they write posts no longer than a few sentences.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)

Yrreg
I like to define God as "The Sum of All Things". What's wrong with this definition?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Tanstaafl

God is an imaginary figure used by the unethical to extract money and loyalty from honest people.

Expelled exposed!
Sylvia Browne
Tanstaafl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

A tergiversator named Gerry
Who's grammatic usage was hairy
Offered a proof of God
Quite logically flawed
Was evidence lacking? Yes, very

Next contestant must write a Haiku. If Dr. A or Mercutio join this thread perhaps one will treat us to a sonnet.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 11th February 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Wally
Thinker

Yrreg
Because that definition can just as well apply to the laws of physics. Not enough differentiation from natural phenomenon.
Wally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:12 PM   #15
asmodean
Turing Complete

That is why I am very exasperated in exchange of ideas with you guys, you tend to tergiversate and/or prevaricate and even calumniate, instead of being exact and specific in reacting to the issue
Drop the thesaurus and BACK AWAY SLOWLY!

Most Christians treat the Bible like a software license. They don’t actually read it, they just scroll to the bottom and click, ” I agree.”
asmodean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:13 PM   #16
billydkid
Illuminator

It doesn't mean anything.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Twiler
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
A tergiversator named Gerry
Who's grammatic usage was hairy
Offered a proof of God
Quite logically flawed
Was evidence lacking? Yes, very

Next contestant must write a Haiku. If Dr. A or Mercutio join this thread perhaps one will treat us to a sonnet.
Guy talks about God.
Does he speak English with skill?
Apparently not.

And the problems with the definition are:

1. The assumption of the existence of heaven.
2. The assumption of a unified creator.
3. The assumption all things requiring a creator.

Last edited by Twiler; 11th February 2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Decided to attempt communication with Yrreg.
Twiler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Next contestant must write a Haiku.

Yrreg makes demands.
Result can be nothing but
tergiversation.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:22 PM   #19
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Twiler View Post
Guy talks about God.
Does he speak English with skill?
Apparently not.
Now you must choose the new form of Gozer the Traveler. And no Torgs, that's been done to death.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 11th February 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:22 PM   #20
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Yrreg
Actually, if we were really to argue the definition on a logical level, then you are stating that God created three things:
Heaven
Earth
Everything
The way this is stated, "Heaven" and "Earth" are not included in "Everything"; they are somehow separate. But if "Everything" doesn't include "Heaven" and "Earth", then its not "Everything", is it?

You may argue that, obviously, that is not what you intended; and that it should be adjusted to say, "maker of Heaven and Earth and everything else"

But then, we have the problem of God himself. Would not god be included in "Everything"? If "Everything" doesn't include god, then again its not "Everything". So if God really created "Everything", then God created Himself. But that obviously just doesn't make sense.

So, from both logical and linguistic viewpoints, your definition just doesn't make sense.

Well...you asked!
Old 11th February 2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Actually, if we were really to argue the definition on a logical level, then you are stating that God created three things:
Heaven
Earth
Everything
The way this is stated, "Heaven" and "Earth" are not included in "Everything"; they are somehow separate. But if "Everything" doesn't include "Heaven" and "Earth", then its not "Everything", is it?

You may argue that, obviously, that is not what you intended; and that it should be adjusted to say, "maker of Heaven and Earth and everything else"

But then, we have the problem of God himself. Would not god be included in "Everything"? If "Everything" doesn't include god, then again its not "Everything". So if God really created "Everything", then God created Himself. But that obviously just doesn't make sense.

So, from both logical and linguistic viewpoints, your definition just doesn't make sense.

Well...you asked!
Maybe Gerry is as witty as Douglas Adams? No, you're right. Probably not.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:27 PM   #22
joobz
Tergiversator

Too vague.
Nominated!

It's not too often you see someone reprimanded for a post by giving the meaning of that post.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:30 PM   #23
joobz
Tergiversator

Yrreg
In truth, I see nothing inherently wrong with that definition. In fact, it's practically the exact definition given in the Nicene creed.

So, I say, go ahead and use that definition.

Now, all you need to do next is prove that there is indeed a maker of heaven and earth and everything.

You'll also need to prove there's a heaven, but I'll be happy if you can prove that the earth has a maker.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser

Last edited by joobz; 11th February 2009 at 03:32 PM.
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:31 PM   #24
Twiler
Master Poster

Now you must choose the new form of Gozer the Traveler. And no Torgs, that's been done to death.
Okay. Someone try expressing these threads in the form of a flow-chart.
Twiler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:35 PM   #25
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by Twiler
Sorry, a sonnet has already been requested.

What can one do with an ideal idea
Which can only be said in very few words
Or tergiversation grows like chia
That evil atheists farm on the boards
And refuse to follow wordcount restraints
Leading to prevarication and hate
It truly would try the patience of saints
While I am left here to dangle my bait
Posting my questions until satisfied
That my definitions are well taken in
While all have agreed that atheists lied
As false evolution left them in sin
But I the believer never once strayed
From my true god the impossibly vague

Please forgive the meter.

Now we can do flowcharts

Last edited by quixotecoyote; 11th February 2009 at 03:45 PM.
quixotecoyote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:36 PM   #26
Sven
Student

It doesn't define your god, you're just summing up things you claim your god did.
Sven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:40 PM   #27
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Forget marshmallow men, I want a giant Natalie Portman made out of mackarel.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:43 PM   #28
Tanstaafl

Hey, I'm easy, I'll take Natalie Portman exactly as she is!

Expelled exposed!
Sylvia Browne
Old 11th February 2009, 03:46 PM   #29
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
Holy Mackerel...Piscivore can't even spell the word properly.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:49 PM   #30
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
I like to define God as "The Sum of All Things". What's wrong with this definition?
After reading the bible, the best definition for the Christian God is arguably "The Scum of All Things".

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:52 PM   #31
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

It is not a definition, yrreg. It explains nothing about the god you claim it defines.

I've pointed this out to you before. Here, for example.

Suffice to say that "maker of heaven and earth and everything" defines nothing.

It does not tell us if god is powerful, loving, good, evil, female, past, of if any of those terms even apply.

That is what is wrong with your "definition". It does not define anything.

Feel free to use it if you want, but don't go flinging accusations of "Tergiversator!" and "Non-Thinker!" when somebody tells you it fits the concept of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or the Invisible Pink Unicorn, or the Great Green Arkleseizure.

You failed to provide information on your god that would rule such things out. Thus, with your "definition", you cannot claim those ideas are not your god.

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:56 PM   #32
Sven
Student

Originally Posted by Piscivore View Post
The proper way to serve Natalie Portman is covered with hot grits.
Sven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:58 PM   #33
JFrankA
Illuminator

Quote:
"Maker of heaven and earth and everything."
Okay..

Flow chart:

God --> makes heaven

God --> makes Earth

God --> makes everything

Everything =/= Heaven

Everything =/= Earth

God =/= Heaven

God =/= Earth

Therefore:

God c Everything (Sorry, that's the best I can do to get the "is a subset of" symbol)

Therefore:

God created God.

....what do I win?

oohh I hope it's Natalie Portman..... alive, please....no dressing...

Last edited by JFrankA; 11th February 2009 at 04:01 PM.
JFrankA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 03:59 PM   #34
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by JFrankA View Post
Okay..

Flow chart:

God --> makes heaven

God --> makes Earth

God --> makes everything

Everything =/= Heaven

Everything =/= Earth

God =/= Heaven

God =/= Earth

Therefore:

God c Everything (Sorry, that's the best I can do to get the "is a subset of" symbol)

Therefore:

God created God.

....did I get it?
Not bad!

You just need to pick the new form.
Old 11th February 2009, 04:01 PM   #35
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
I like to define God as "The Sum of All Things".
Can we have that as a spreadsheet formula?

Old 11th February 2009, 04:01 PM   #36
Bob Klase
Master Poster

I made my own breakfast today. Since I made it and not god, either god isn't god because he didn't make everything, or I am god because I made something that must be included by the term 'everything' even though it isn't everything itself.

Either way, your definition fails.
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 04:03 PM   #37
Merko
Graduate Poster

If God made everything, then God made the table I'm sitting in front of. However, I made the table I'm sitting in front of. Therefore, it follows from your definition that I am God.

However, I am not God. You know this, because if I was God, I would be infallible, and therefore you can trust me absolutely on this matter.
Merko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 04:03 PM   #38
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Holy Mackerel...Piscivore can't even spell the word properly.
I make that sort of mistake often when I try to spell phonetically.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2009, 04:03 PM   #39
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

It's a good definition of the deist god. Most of the gods of existent religions have more attributes in addition to the ones you've listed: they intervene in human affairs, they have opinions about human behavior, and they seem to have emotions or something like them.
Old 11th February 2009, 04:06 PM   #40
joobz
Tergiversator

Here you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yrreg flow chart.jpg (53.0 KB, 80 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy