ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 4th May 2012, 07:17 AM   #1241
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,181
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Thanks, everyone for your reactions, but I am still waiting for Foster Zygote to return.

However, just the same I will say to everyone that this question of God or no God, it has engaged also atheists interminably to this day and everywhere in the internet, and more so in the internet because it is easy and quick to write in the internet and get oneself published.

Now, my opinion or conviction even though I must have already said this piece time and again in my writing in this forum, is that atheists are not genuinely thinking when they write about God in the Christian faith, because they insist on not getting the concept correctly.

Not genuinely thinking because to my observation they always delimit their thinking reach when it comes to God, so that in their delimited thinking they already set as off-limits any thinking that they will exercise with their mind as tabooed when it touches on the concept of God, in accordance with as I already stated God in the following two statements in the Christian faith:
In the beginning God created heaven and earth. Genesis 1:1
I believe in God the Father almighty creator of heaven and earth. Apostles' Creed verse 1
If atheists do not impose upon their mind the off-limits consideration of the concept of God as per the two statements above, meaning they do not self-censor their minds, then they must first of all consider how the concept of God came about in the minds of the people who did formulate the statements.

Of course that is a matter of intellectual curiosity, how people come about to inform their mind about the concept of God as per the two statements above.

At least therefore for atheists who still have such an intellectual curiosity, they can dialog with me; otherwise they will go into all directions of irrelevancy.


Yrreg
I believe your assertion above is just plain wrong. Simply not correct. Implacably, repeatedly, boringly wrong. Many atheists, like theists, have thought well and hard about all the things you're mentioning here. Some have gone through catechism and even divinity school and lost their faith, while others have found faith in a flash. Many have probably studied it in greater depth than you have, including long and tedious study of the scholastic arguments for and against ontological proof, and the anthropological, psychological and philosophical discussion of how some of those ideas came about. You should probably do the same thing before assuming that the issue is as simple as you make it out to be. There are reasons why theists and atheists, as well as everything in between, still exist, and you have not even scratched the surface.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 07:24 AM   #1242
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor
 
jsfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,599
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
What do you say, the concept of God in the Christian faith as creator of the universe came about from thinkers of antiquity who looked around and observed the universe and come to the conclusion that there is an entity creator and in charge of the whole cosmos; now atheists are so insistent that there is no entity in charge -- which is obviously an irrational attitude.
You have repeated that the concept of God in the Christian faith as creator of the heavens and Earth. However, that concept is far from complete. Sure, characterizing something by its deeds and accomplishments is reasonable, but you have limited yourself to just two (creator of heavens, creator of Earth), so your personal concept of God in the Christian faith has little to distinguish it from the concept of God in many, many other faiths.

Is not your God distinguishable from all the rest? Your insistence that God as maker of the heavens and Earth is sufficient for the Christian concept is obviously an irrational attitude.
__________________
A proud member of the Simpson 15+7, named in the suit, Simpson v. Zwinge, et al., and founder of the ET Corn Gods Survivors Group.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 07:25 AM   #1243
jond
Graduate Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,872
I, for one, am happy that FZ has been designated as Yyreg's special friend for this go-round. I was worried that FZ had been a bit bored lately and that he might have been engaged in guiltless masterbation.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 07:32 AM   #1244
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor
 
jsfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,599
I have another question, Yrreg: How many gods are there in the Christian faith?

No, I don't mean whether it is one or three or three-in-one. Besides the creator of heavens and Earth, how many others are there? One of the commands, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," clear admits to the existence of other deities. I'm just curious as to how many there are.
__________________
A proud member of the Simpson 15+7, named in the suit, Simpson v. Zwinge, et al., and founder of the ET Corn Gods Survivors Group.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 07:56 AM   #1245
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeBentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,334
I've heard it argued that some flavors of Christianity are polytheistic in everything but name, with concept of the Trinity, the Virgin Mary being considered a Goddess by any practical definition, and Saints qualifying as demigods.
__________________
- Opinions require evidence and no before you ask defining something as "Something doesn't require evidence" doesn't count.
- In extreme cases continuing to be wrong when you've been repeatedly proven to be wrong is a form of rudeness.
- Major in philosophy. That way you can also ask people "why" they would like fries with that.
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 08:40 AM   #1246
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,431
Originally Posted by yrreg
Now, my opinion or conviction even though I must have already said this piece time and again in my writing in this forum, is that atheists are not genuinely thinking when they write about God in the Christian faith, because they insist on not getting the concept correctly.
Which is funny, because many of us wait until the theists define "god". Which means YOUR SIDE is the one not defining it correctly.

Quote:
Of course that is a matter of intellectual curiosity, how people come about to inform their mind about the concept of God as per the two statements above.
First, you have to prove that those two statements are relevant to the discussion. You've yet to do so--you've merely insisited that we accept them as relevant, and say we're "not genuinely thinking" if we disagree with you.

Quote:
Ask Dawkins and also Hawking where the laws of nature or physics come from, and also in re evolution where does the original rise of life come from
That's like saying "Paintings don't exist--the painters can't explain the process by which canvase and pigments form!" Abiogenesis=/=evolution. The fact that you equivocate between the two strongly suggests that you do not have an informed opinion on the matter.
__________________
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 08:57 AM   #1247
Sun Countess
Appearance of intelligence
 
Sun Countess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,172
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
I will just say here that it is the teaching of the Christian faith that God's existence is known from evidence in the existence of the material universe.
And I will counter by saying it is the teaching of the Scientology faith that the evil Lord Xenu sent frozen thetans into the volcanoes of the earth, thereby infecting humans with bad thoughts.

In other words, it's an assertion. Is not my imaginary friend, Susie, evident to everybody with a properly working brain? Susie seems to think so. How can you argue against somebody who takes such a childish position as "My boss man is real because he says so!!"

Quote:
That is for the atheists who deny the existence of any parts of the universe that are not material; for all other humans who admit the existence of other parts of the universe that are not material, then there is also evidence.
Can they prove this evidence? There are people who believe that ghosts and demons are real, and they seem to admit that evidence to themselves. The big problem is they can't seem to show it to other people. It's all inside your heads.


Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Now, you emphasize that it is anthropomorphical for Christians to address God as Father, that is analogical.
Yes, dear, of course it is. Women ain't ***, version 1.0.
Quote:
Power is experienced by man from his father.
Women ain't ****, part 2.0.

Quote:
Wherefore analogically man addresses God the creator of the universe as also father, but not all completely and restrictively as like his biological father.
For a mother is really just an afterthought in the whole biological creation process. Or, as I like to call it, women ain't ****, part 3.0


Yrreg, can you explain why men are the only important entities in all the religions that have been invented and enforced by men? You seem to be delimiting yourself with this particular concept.



Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
You are always looking for authority to depend on, use your own mind to think.
Since this was addressed to me, I'd like you to ask whose mind you think I'm using to do my thinking? Or what authority you think I depend on? Certainly not a bunch of misogynistic religious zealots who need an imaginary bully behind them to keep their women in line.

Here's the thing, yrreg. I could figure out that all this "god" stuff was a crock of nonsense about the same time I figured out that Santa was all make-believe. I learned about the greek and roman gods before I ever learned anything about Yahweh, and he seemed just as silly and make-believe as the others. Only a lot meaner.

Quote:
Okay, you don't accept some entity built the universe, then what is your ultimate explanation for the existence of the -- now this is not irrelevant, the nose in your face?
There's a whole lot of biological processes that could explain the existence of the nose on my face, and it doesn't start with someone imaginary entity who got the whole universe started. I suggest you read some books on biology and evolution if you want those answers.

Quote:
Seriously, men in antiquity have thought about the ultimate explanation for everything that has a beginning and an ending, and they have come to the concept of God as the creator of the universe, and they put it down in writing for record to posterity, here are two example of such records: <snip religious musings of ancient men>
Are we no better than superstitious men in antiquity? Maybe you don't think you are, because you think they give you some extra authority that atheists and good Christian women don't have. "Well, I'm just as cool as those ancient goatherders because I've got Yahweh on my side! Go me! Woman, get me a sandwich, and make sure you don't use the wrong pickles!"

Do you think that ancient men got it all right when it came to disease prevention, sewage systems, or space exploration? Why in the world do you look to them as an authority when it comes to any type of "ultimate explanation?"


Quote:
About evidence, look up my exchange with Loss Mentor I mean Leader on what is evidence, what is the target of evidence, and how evidence operates to be a piece of proof for the existence of something the certainty of whose existence is in doubt.
yrreg, I've read this entire thread. I find your definition of evidence very, how shall we say.....delimiting.

Last edited by Sun Countess; 4th May 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: i really hate silly typos as they may delimit the presentation of my ideas
Sun Countess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 09:16 AM   #1248
Lowpro
Philosopher
 
Lowpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,075
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Well, I don't think you are thinking properly, when you say that the universe needs no creator, unless you insist that the universe is eternal and/or created itself, in which case the universe is God, it created the parts of Itself which are changeable and have a beginning and an ending.
Yes universe created itself (without anthropomorphized intention), and you saying that the universe must be God then is untenable. The creator is not his creation.

Quote:

Now, you will say that I am admitting the existence of a pantheistic God, everything is God.

Well, everything is God for coming from God, but in that everything there is a God that is Himself not a part of anything but everything else comes forth from Him.
Which is why your assumptions that the Universe is God is untenable. You say that if the universe created itself then it must be God by virtue of being of God, that is simply untrue. That's like saying God saw the Universe create itself then took all the credit...

Quote:

So, if you just attend to that God Who is the author of everything else that is not Himself, then you have got to God in His concept as the creator of the universe.
I don't believe in a God that created everything, or even anything. It's unnecessary and because God is unnecessary, a redundant useless fifth wheel if you want to be poetic about it, then to conclude that God is required for the universe flies in the face of reason and is an untenable conclusion.

Quote:
Honestly, in this new thread but merged with an old one by the powers that be here, I am into asking atheists with that question, The Concept of God with Atheists, namely, what do you have in substitute for God?

So, your answer is that the universe has always been around; I can take that but with my explanation above, and then I don't have to deal with scientists who tell us that the universe has a beginning.



Yrreg
Beginning is relative to your reference frame. Your explanation above is not tenable and to accept it as such means you are unreasonable.
__________________
"If I actually believed that Jesus was coming to end the world in 2050, I'd be preparing by stocking up on timber and nails" - PZ Myers

Last edited by Lowpro; 4th May 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Lowpro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 09:18 AM   #1249
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,339
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
On (i): the nose is certainly testimony to the creator God architect and engineer and operator who keeps your nose on your face otherwise it should fall off.

On (ii):...Again, go examine and research and think about infinite regress and come tell me what you find out...
On (1): Could you explain why my nose is a testimony to any god, let alone a creator one?

On (2): Not a lot, actually. Is this question related to your concept of a correct god?



Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
...
So, your answer is that the universe has always been around; I can take that but with my explanation above, and then I don't have to deal with scientists who tell us that the universe has a beginning. ...
That's interesting.
Where did you find scientists who said that?
I'd like to read it for myself.
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 10:23 AM   #1250
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,121
Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
I think "the creator of the physical universe" is not a bad definition for capital-G God.

It makes the question "Does God exist?" equivalent to the question "Is there a Creator?"


The problem is that yrreg does not stop there.
He defines his god as the "creator of the universe", and then assumes that such a definition clearly indicates the triune Christian god of the Catholic faith.

His definition, is so vague as to be almost useless for his purposes. Earlier in this thread he admitted that if the universe were uncaused (or self-caused), then the universe would be god. He intentionally keeps his definition this vague because then he can claim that anything, anything at all, is god.

It's part of his ever-lasting "gotcha" attempt, to try and prove that non-believers believe in something he can retroactively define as god. And therefore we're all Catholics.

Maybe one day he'll address the many problems with his convoluted argument. But I doubt it.
Part 1
Part 2
__________________
It is sad that this is necessary:
Argumentum Ad Hominem: "You are wrong because you are ugly."
Not Ad-Hom: "You are wrong and you are ugly."

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 10:29 AM   #1251
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,567
Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
I have another question, Yrreg: How many gods are there in the Christian faith?

No, I don't mean whether it is one or three or three-in-one. Besides the creator of heavens and Earth, how many others are there? One of the commands, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," clear admits to the existence of other deities. I'm just curious as to how many there are.
There are dozens of references to other gods in the babble; xians tend to gloss over this awkward legacy from the polytheistic/henotheist era.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 11:39 AM   #1252
Halfcentaur
Philosopher
 
Halfcentaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,645
The common placeholder argument about some thing that is capable of doing whatever I want it to.

What is the difference between saying "the thing that creatred heaven and earth and everything" and "the maker"?

You're still just assuming a placeholder. To not recognize the weakness of this argument, you have to have an agenda which is clouding your reasoning.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 02:21 PM   #1253
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,181
Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
I think "the creator of the physical universe" is not a bad definition for capital-G God.

It makes the question "Does God exist?" equivalent to the question "Is there a Creator?"
Quite. And that, of course, is the big question, where theists and atheists part.

There are plenty of reasons why people choose one or the other, I'm sure, and I have no interest in attacking any of the reasons others prefer faith, but for my part, the question seems to resolve to this:

We start with the realization that the origin and extent of the universe are utterly beyond my ability to grasp or understand. They're unfathomable mysteries. We can verbalize these things and explain some of them using laws and formulas, but there remains something about infinity, singularity and other such ideas that is dark and not intuitive.

I now have two choices. I can look at the scientific approach, which digs piece by piece into those mysteries, never quite getting to the end. but chipping away. What science does figure out makes sense, even if it's difficult to understand, stands up to rational inquiry, is self-correcting, and requires no faith in beings or agencies that exist outside the universe itself.

Or, I can shunt the mystery to a creator. The creator also surpasses understanding, but also requires a mechanism of operation that cannot be explained and cannot be reconciled with things we know. The unfathomable mystery of the universe is not really solved at all, simply shifted from the physical universe we at least know to exist, to another we can never prove. But assigning the mystery to God gives us permission to pass over the mysteries of the universe. It still doesn't make sense, but that's because God works in mysterious ways which we are not even permitted to understand.

The main difference between the two mysteries seems to be that the second acts capriciously, suspiciously like a magnified and multiplied human being, demanding worship and punishing unorthodoxy. God doesn't help us understand anything, but rather gives us an easy excuse for why we can't.
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 02:36 PM   #1254
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,431
Originally Posted by bruto
Or, I can shunt the mystery to a creator.
The reason I consider gods to be intellectually invalid concepts is that to be valid, a concept must have evidence to support it. To say "Goddidit" is to accept that there is some being--God--without having any actual evidence for it. God is nothing more than a means to explain the unknowable. It has no definition except to that it's undefinable, has no abilities except those which are unknowable, has no nature except that which is indescribable.

The honest position to take on this sort of thing is to say "I don't know", and either leave it at that or work to learn it. I've taken the former stance: I don't know what started the universe, or life, and I'm content with that lack of knowledge. My area of interest is megafauna, which you don't get until well after life arose, which doesn't happen until well after the universe starts. Others, like Hawking and Ward, take the later stance: they work to uncover the answers to those questions. What they do not do, however, is to postulate entities prior to having some supporting evidence other than "I dunno". And when they do, science has failsafes to ensure they get called out on it.

Basically, it all boils down the question of whether you're willing to accept concepts without supporting evidence, and whether you're willing to admit the limits of your own knowledge. As much as theists rail at atheists for not accepting the limits of our knowledge and the like, it's actually us atheists who are willing to stand naked in the face of the mysteries of the universe and admit "I don't understand that at ALL...."
__________________
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 02:55 PM   #1255
Sun Countess
Appearance of intelligence
 
Sun Countess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,172
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Quite. And that, of course, is the big question, where theists and atheists part.

There are plenty of reasons why people choose one or the other, I'm sure, and I have no interest in attacking any of the reasons others prefer faith, but for my part, the question seems to resolve to
<snip awesomeness for brevity>

The main difference between the two mysteries seems to be that the second acts capriciously, suspiciously like a magnified and multiplied human being, demanding worship and punishing unorthodoxy. God doesn't help us understand anything, but rather gives us an easy excuse for why we can't.
I heartily approve of this post.
Sun Countess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 03:00 PM   #1256
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 36,001
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
What is the concept of God with atheists?

In the West the concept of God among Christians is founded on the following two statements from the Christian faith:

In the beginning God created heaven and earth. Genesis 1:1
I believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. Apostles' Creed verse 1

Addressing the atheists of this forum: I would like to inquire whether you have this concept of God as per the two statements above.


Yrreg
I like to think that Thoth and Nu had a baby called "the universe"
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 03:42 PM   #1257
yrreg
Master Poster
 
yrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,388
You mean you don't want to think, you just want to shout spaghetti or penis.

Originally Posted by slingblade View Post

Originally Posted by Yrreg

Let us examine the concept of God in the history of ideas.

There used to be a free online history of ideas in the internet, then some university it seems got the copyright to it, and now I can't use it easily, but it takes a lot of work to dig up the nuggets there.

I will look up that free online history of ideas again, and you do likewise; then we will exchange thoughts on what the ancients think about the concept of God as creator of the universe, what are their grounds for accepting and propounding this concept of God, the complete and ultimate explanation for the existence of the universe.

Why should I? God doesn't exist.


You mean you don't want to think, you just want to shout spaghetti or penis.


Well, there is no way to talk with people who don't want to think but to shout spaghetti or penis all the time when you want to stir up their thinking faculty.


Thinking is more than reasoning, more than logic, it is the totality of the mind finding an answer to question, which question can be a problem in real life how to survive, or a curiosity in regard to the complete and ultimate explanation for existence.

For example, you are put in a maze, you have been caught by a wicked evil hunter who delights in observing how you being a human just like himself but unlucky to have been caught and held captive by him, will find your way out of the maze. He tells you that there is a way out, only one, and if you don't find it you will die of hunger, no food and water intake; so you must think and act to find your way out where you will be given food and water -- before you pass out and die from hunger and thirst.

Now, tell me, slingblade, will you get really very busy and resourceful with your mind and body and do some genuine thinking and quick acting, or will you shout shrilly at the evil sadistic hunter, he is a spaghetti and a penis?

Now, this thread on The Concept of God with Atheists, though now merged with an older one of mine, it is my idea to find out how atheists think but they don't think, they just want to shout spaghetti, penis, guiltless masturbation.

By the way, don't forget to think and find the way out of the maze.

And if you do think genuinely think, using your mind, and you have the innate curiosity to occupy your mind with the question about a complete and ultimate explanation for existence, what will you come to as a complete and ultimate explanation for the question of existence?

No, no, don't shout spaghetti, penis, guiltless masturbation.

I say, THINK!



Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 03:46 PM   #1258
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,076
yrreG, why are you unable to think about The Flying Spaghetti Monster? Is thinking (about it) so very difficult for you?

Do you have the concept of The Flying Spaghetti Monster in your mind? Good! Now you're thinking!
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 03:48 PM   #1259
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,076
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Well, I don't think...



Yrreg
Have you tried thinking about The Flying Spaghetti Monster? Why are you locked into your non-thinking by your iron age god?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:03 PM   #1260
yrreg
Master Poster
 
yrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,388
You say nothing, then you think that you came from nothing, that is not thinking.

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post

Originally Posted by Yrreg
The Concept of God with Atheists, namely, what do you have in substitute for God?
*Very slowly and clearly* Nothing.

You're assuming the need you have to fill in the blanks in our knowledge with all purpose thought Spackle, personify it, and label it God is a need that we all share.

I've seen this dance before. You're going restate and redefine your question again and again until you get an atheist to describe some personal opinion of theirs that sorta sounds like something vaguely religious or spiritual if you take it out of context, squint at it, and tilt your head then make some sad attempt at declaring atheist just as religious as everyone else.

You say nothing, then you think that you came from nothing, that is not thinking.

[The rest of your post is irrelevant.]

But at least think by examining your attitude of not wanting to think, insisting instead that nothing is the origin of everything which is of course not thinking.

But if you really want to insist that nothing is the origin of everything, then think further on how nothing works to become everything like -- not being irrelevant now, the nose in your face.

Now, you have a totally new concept of nothing, it is the origin of everything that you don't want to think genuinely think about as to the origin of.

That is what atheist scientists are so hard put up with, they have no intention to think: so they seize on nothing to explain everything, but of course they still have to explain nothing as something, guess what.

But read them first then think genuinely about their explanation, and it should dawn upon your conscious mind: how they are into mental but dishonest prestidigitation of facts and concepts and words.



Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:07 PM   #1261
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,076
yrreG, you should think about what created your god(s). Are you able to think about that?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:10 PM   #1262
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing
 
catsmate1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,567
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
You mean you don't want to think, you just want to shout spaghetti or penis.
We tend to leave not thinking and shouting to theists, they have more practice.

Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Well, there is no way to talk with people who don't want to think but to shout spaghetti or penis all the time when you want to stir up their thinking faculty.
There is just as much evidence that the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists as there is that your god exists; in fact the ethos of the FSM is more logical and consistent.

Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Thinking is more than reasoning, more than logic,
Really..............
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
it is the totality of the mind finding an answer to question, which question can be a problem in real life how to survive, or a curiosity in regard to the complete and ultimate explanation for existence.
You you want to abdicate reason because it shows your god probably doesn't exist. Pathetic.

Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
For example, you are put in a maze, you have been caught by a wicked evil hunter who delights in observing how you being a human just like himself but unlucky to have been caught and held captive by him, will find your way out of the maze. He tells you that there is a way out, only one, and if you don't find it you will die of hunger, no food and water intake; so you must think and act to find your way out where you will be given food and water -- before you pass out and die from hunger and thirst.


Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Now, this thread on The Concept of God with Atheists, though now merged with an older one of mine, it is my idea to find out how atheists think but they don't think, they just want to shout spaghetti, penis, guiltless masturbation.
I repeat

Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
And if you do think genuinely think, using your mind, and you have the innate curiosity to occupy your mind with the question about a complete and ultimate explanation for existence, what will you come to as a complete and ultimate explanation for the question of existence?
Perhaps you should start thinking about your god and the lack of evidence that it exists?
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:14 PM   #1263
slingblade
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,636
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post

By the way, don't forget to think and find the way out of the maze.
I did that. When I emerged from the maze, I discovered god doesn't exist.



Your turn.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:15 PM   #1264
Sun Countess
Appearance of intelligence
 
Sun Countess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,172
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Thinking is more than reasoning, more than logic, it is the totality of the mind finding an answer to question, which question can be a problem in real life how to survive, or a curiosity in regard to the complete and ultimate explanation for existence.
Knowing how to survive is important. It's what helps keep you alive. What exactly does it accomplish to gaze at your navel and wonder about a magic man up in the sky making the sun go up and down?

Quote:
For example, you are put in a maze, you have been caught by a wicked evil hunter who delights in observing how you being a human just like himself but unlucky to have been caught and held captive by him, will find your way out of the maze. He tells you that there is a way out, only one, and if you don't find it you will die of hunger, no food and water intake; so you must think and act to find your way out where you will be given food and water -- before you pass out and die from hunger and thirst.
This would be a real problem that would need a real solution. The hunter is real and he is torturing me.

Your god has no such power. He's not real, and he has absolutely no impact on my life or on any aspect of this universe. He's a made-up entity, used to fill in the gaps of human knowledge, or to give power to people who would otherwise possess none.


Quote:
You say nothing, then you think that you came from nothing, that is not thinking.
Where did your god come from, yrreg? If you say nothing, then you think he came from nothing, that is not thinking. You can't special-plead his way out of existence. If you think he really exists, where did his ultimate existence come from?
Sun Countess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:18 PM   #1265
yrreg
Master Poster
 
yrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,388
You are into the fallacy of ignorance, claiming ignorance is not thinking.

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Yrreg, your God does not exist. It's a story, made up by primitive peoples with a limited understanding of the universe and how it came to be.

We also have a limited understanding of the universe and how it came to be, albeit a far greater understanding than people thousands of years ago, but instead of making up a story, we're content to say "we don't know yet, we'll try to find out".

The source of your misunderstanding is revealed by your question above where you ask what atheists have in substitute for God. We've been telling you for years, we don't have anything as a substitute for God.

Until you understand this very basic and vital point, your monologues here (for your posts are not dialogue; you rarely discuss anything but merely restate your argument with increasing rudeness until you get carded) are pointless exercises.

You are into the fallacy of ignorance, claiming ignorance is not thinking.

However, I suggest you read the atheist scientists socalled who have a nice explanation, namely, nothing is the origin of everything, but read more insight-fully, and see how they understand nothing.

You see, your insistence that you don't know the complete and ultimate explanation of existence, is just that, stubbornness to not think; but you forget to mention that you must be humble and not be so presumptuous as to employ your brain to think on for a sensible answer to the question of the complete and ultimate explanation for existence.

You have gone into the fallacy of ignorance, but you have forgotten to accompany it with the fallacy of appeal to your humility, that should win you the atheists' Nobel Prize for ignorance and humility.


I am having or attempting to engage in a thinking-ful dialog with people here, but if they don't want to think instead of shouting penis, etc., then claim that I am into a monologue, what can I do but continue to explain my ideas and hope to engage someone who will really genuinely relevantly think on my ideas, and engage me with their thoughts.

By the way, how do you get out of the maze that I put slingblade in.

You say, I don't know.

[ You mean, I don't think. ]


Shame, you are again into the plea of ignorance but you should say also that you are just a very humble brain.




Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:20 PM   #1266
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,076
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
I don't think.




Yrreg
You don't think about where your god(s) came from? Why don't you think (about that)?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:23 PM   #1267
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,431
Originally Posted by yrreg
You say nothing, then you think that you came from nothing, that is not thinking.
Learn physics and evolutionary biology. You're wrong.

Quote:
But if you really want to insist that nothing is the origin of everything, then think further on how nothing works to become everything like -- not being irrelevant now, the nose in your face.
Did you exist yesterday? It's a serious question--I'm trying to understand your perspective here.

Quote:
Now, this thread on The Concept of God with Atheists, though now merged with an older one of mine, it is my idea to find out how atheists think but they don't think, they just want to shout spaghetti, penis, guiltless masturbation.
Considering the FSM has every bit as much validity as your Christian god as far as deities go, and your god is obsessed with sex, I'd hardly say it's OUR problem.

Quote:
And if you do think genuinely think, using your mind, and you have the innate curiosity to occupy your mind with the question about a complete and ultimate explanation for existence, what will you come to as a complete and ultimate explanation for the question of existence?
This is gibberish...

Quote:
That is what atheist scientists are so hard put up with, they have no intention to think:
You DO realize there are atheist scientists on here, right? For example, me. You just said that I have no intention to think, and pretended to say what I believe (which you got completely wrong, by the way). It's easy to insult people en mass--are you willing to do it face to face?

Quote:
But read them first then think genuinely about their explanation, and it should dawn upon your conscious mind: how they are into mental but dishonest prestidigitation of facts and concepts and words.
Projection always astounds me. You honestly can't see that this is actually more applicable to your Bible than to science, can you? I always wonder why.
__________________
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:24 PM   #1268
Kid Eager
Illuminator
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,536
Congratulations, Yrreg - you have managed to to combine god, spaghetti and penises in a single post.

I pity you. What sort of bizarre thought processes are needed to combine these words in a single content-free post?

Sure, you must be frustrated that nobody is agreeing with whatever thought it is that you're trying to convey, but let's be honest here: you are producing nothing new - this 32 page thread is testament to that. This is your very own Well Of Failed Arguments.

I await the moment that you come up with something new or logical. Until then, please refer to my previous answers to your previous posts on the same topic within this thread - it will save you and I a lot of time.
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:31 PM   #1269
yrreg
Master Poster
 
yrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,388
Correction: I am or call myself a liberal Christian...

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

Originally Posted by Yrreg
You are always looking for authority to depend on, use your own mind to think.
That's a really strange accusation, coming from a Catholic...


Correction: I am or call myself a liberal Christian, but I have a very complete and extensive Catholic education in the best schools at home and abroad.


How is your nirvana getting on?

You see, Ryokan, that is the big difference between Christianism and Buddhism, Christianism is into rationalism in the most expansive perspectives of existence, but Buddhism is into irrationalism.

Take this irrationalism of Buddhism on the non-self: throw a stone at a Buddhist who is looking at you, he will duck even though he insists that he has no self: but of course he will tell you even his ducking to save his head is a delusion or illusion or hallucination.

But whose delusion illusion or hallucination, pray tell me.


By the way, I don't seem to have seen the inscription at the bottom of your message box indicating that I have saved you from Buddhism, I like that inscription -- or I just imagine that it is no longer there, sorry for the illusion.



Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:36 PM   #1270
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,076
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
throw a stone at a Buddhist who is looking at you, he will duck even though he insists that he has no self: but of course he will tell you even his ducking to save his head is a delusion or illusion or hallucination.



Yrreg
Throw a stone at a Christian who is looking at you, will he turn the other cheek for you to throw another one? But of course he is lying about turning the other cheek.

LOL.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:39 PM   #1271
yrreg
Master Poster
 
yrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,388
But no atheists are writing against Spiderman.

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post

Originally Posted by Yrreg
Originally Posted by yrreg
Think of an entity greater than God in concept in the Christian faith as creator of the universe.
Everything that actually exists is greater than the Christian god. Spiderman wouldn't be defeated by iron chariots. Superman wouldn't get nailed to a cross.

Can you think of anything less powerful than the Christian god? Why didn't people make up a really powerful and intelligent god rather than the stumbling boob they have to apologize for now?

Well, I have a dialog for you, have you come to the insight that you atheists have not one of you even written anything against Spiderman, but your so-claimed scientists and so-claimed deep-thinking philosophers have written and continue to write to explain that God is not needed, nothing gives origin to everything.


Atheists don't think, they just shout penis, spaghetti, and guiltless masturbation, and then rest on their defense of ignorance and yes, humility.



Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:44 PM   #1272
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,076
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
Well, I have a dialog for you,
That will be a change.

Quote:
have you come to the insight that you atheists have not one of you even written anything against Spiderman,
Spiderman isn't an idiot like the made up Christian god. There isn't really anything bad to be said about him.

Quote:
but your so-claimed scientists and so-claimed deep-thinking philosophers have written and continue to write to explain that God is not needed, nothing gives origin to everything.
You might want to think about that.

Quote:
Atheists don't think, they just shout penis, spaghetti, and guiltless masturbation, and then rest on their defense of ignorance and yes, humility.
Penis, spaghetti, guiltless masturbation and yes, humility exist. There is no evidence that any god(s) do. That's why you get so mad about it.

Quote:
Yrreg
Try thinking (about The Flying Spaghetti Monster).
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:49 PM   #1273
yrreg
Master Poster
 
yrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,388
No, don't shout penis, just contemplate how your nose does not fall off your face.

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post

Originally Posted by Yrreg
Well, I don't think you are thinking properly, when you say that the universe needs no creator, unless you insist that the universe is eternal and/or created itself, in which case the universe is God, it created the parts of Itself which are changeable and have a beginning and an ending.
What created god(s)? I'd like for you to actually think about your answer to that. If you choose not to think about it, then I'd rather you didn't answer it with anything foolish.

You are asking the question who created God if God created everything.

That is what you are into, and I have someone with that non-question in this board earlier, I told him to look up infinite regress and do some genuine thinking.

So, I will give you the same instruction.


Now, we are into a dialog, I am reacting to you asking you to enlighten yourself on infinite regress: do I see you getting acquainted with infinite regress and coming back to me, so that we can continue to dialog on God Who is the glue that ties everything securely together in the domain of existence?

Or you will shout back at me: penis, masturbation without guilt, and of course spaghetti.

And I will just ask you to contemplate how your nose does not fall off your face.



Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:53 PM   #1274
yrreg
Master Poster
 
yrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,388
Easy to say I have not answered questions, tell me which ones.

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post

Originally Posted by Adman
You received a number of answers which you failed to address. Why is that? You asked the question. Why didn't the answers merit an answer in return?
They went off-script.

Easy to say I have not answered questions, tell me which ones.

But don't shout things like what slingblade did, penis, and also someone else an ex-Christian, guiltless masturbation.



Yrreg
yrreg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:57 PM   #1275
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator
 
EventHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,001
Yrreg. I assumed that during the time you were gone you would attempt to study the English language and learn how to understand and use it properly so that you can communicate in a logical and understandable manner. I see I was wrong.
__________________
"One of the hardest parts of being an active skeptic - of anything - is knowing when to cut your losses, and then doing so."
-Phil Plait
EventHorizon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 04:58 PM   #1276
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,339
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
....For example, you are put in a maze, you have been caught by a wicked evil hunter who delights in observing how you being a human just like himself but unlucky to have been caught and held captive by him, will find your way out of the maze. He tells you that there is a way out, only one, and if you don't find it you will die of hunger, no food and water intake; so you must think and act to find your way out where you will be given food and water -- before you pass out and die from hunger and thirst....
Are you saying the Judeo Christian god is like an evil hunter?
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 05:00 PM   #1277
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,431
Originally Posted by yrreg
Correction: I am or call myself a liberal Christian, but I have a very complete and extensive Catholic education in the best schools at home and abroad.
Than you should know that the Catholic definition of "god" comes form many, many other sources than those two quotes.
__________________
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Dinwar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 05:12 PM   #1278
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,076
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
You are asking the question who created God if God created everything.

That is what you are into, and I have someone with that non-question in this board earlier, I told him to look up infinite regress and do some genuine thinking.
You'll need to do some genuine thinking first. Iron age goat herders have been telling you what to think.

Quote:
So, I will give you the same instruction.
I'd prefer you answer the question, if you can do so logically. So far, you've not used logic.

Quote:
Now, we are into a dialog, I am reacting to you asking you to enlighten yourself on infinite regress: do I see you getting acquainted with infinite regress and coming back to me, so that we can continue to dialog on God Who is the glue that ties everything securely together in the domain of existence?
But what created your god(s)? You may only answer logically and so far you haven't. Title your post "This post contains logic" if it has any logical arguments so I'll know to read it.

Quote:
Or you will shout back at me: penis, masturbation without guilt, and of course spaghetti.
The universe is evidence that The Flying Spaghetti Monster created it and was destroyed in making it. Just look at the nose on your face or your penis and think.

Quote:
And I will just ask you to contemplate how your nose does not fall off your face.
I'll ask you to contemplate how The Flying Spaghetti Monster keeps your penis from falling off.


Quote:
Yrreg
And really think about it.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 05:19 PM   #1279
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
 
pakeha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,339
Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
You are asking the question who created God if God created everything.

That is what you are into, and I have someone with that non-question in this board earlier, I told him to look up infinite regress and do some genuine thinking.
Why is that a non-question, yrreG?


Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
And I will just ask you to contemplate how your nose does not fall off your face. ...
Does this count as a miracle, yrreG, that my nose doesn't fall off my face?
__________________
How many zeros? Jabba
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2012, 05:21 PM   #1280
slingblade
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,636
Gerry? You don't have the power to put me anywhere.

God doesn't exist.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.