ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:32 PM   #1
jahbrations
New Blood
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
Pro Uri Gellar article with crazy innuendos regarding James Randi

I just read this crazy article called "Uri Geller and the YouTube Video Smear" by Peter Fotis Kapnistos, and I was blown away by the lowdown accusations of the author.

He basically is accusing James Randi of being an online child predator based on the fact that some internet user who goes by the name Randi Schimnosky - posts pro pedophile content on Mother Jones' website.

It's a shockingly absurd article that borders on pure slander. I was wondering if anyone from the JREF community has seen this?

I can't posts links yet, but if you google Uri Geller and the YouTube Video Smear, you'll find the article.

Sorry if this was posted already, I did a search for the author's last name and didn't turn up any results in the forum.
jahbrations is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:36 PM   #2
makaya325
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,325
Aw, whats the matter Uri? Just because did good by exposing you as the fraud you are, you make up harmful rumors that could be damaging to his reputation, due to the fact that the public accepts most crap without critical thinking.
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Pantaz
Muse
 
Pantaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 981
It's covered in today's Swift article, A Champion Grubby Speaks Out
Pantaz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Limbo
Jedi Consular
 
Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,077
"Randi claimed that he made the tape under the direction of the police chief of Rumson, New Jersey, to entrap harassing obscene callers."

Is there a copy of any kind of police documentation that would prove this?
__________________
"Faith in what?" he asked himself, adrift in limbo.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,705
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
"Randi claimed that he made the tape under the direction of the police chief of Rumson, New Jersey, to entrap harassing obscene callers."

Is there a copy of any kind of police documentation that would prove this?
Whether such documentation can be produced or not, the fact that Randi was not arrested as a result of this incident proves the truth of what he says.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Limbo
Jedi Consular
 
Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,077
So that's a no?

I wonder if the police chief of Rumson, New Jersey knows anything about this? Maybe someone should give him a call?
__________________
"Faith in what?" he asked himself, adrift in limbo.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,705
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
So that's a no?

I wonder if the police chief of Rumson, New Jersey knows anything about this? Maybe someone should give him a call?
This crap has be hashed and re-hashed over and over by the weak minded believers in woo who have nothing substantive to add to humanity. IF THERE WAS ANYTHING TOO IT, Randi would have been charged. He has not been.


Give him a call yourself.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 22nd April 2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Removed explectives!
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Kernel Hapablap
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 85
I feel bad for Randi. I have been reading his books recently, some of which were written in the 80's, and in them, he has so thoroughly debunked the likes of, for example, Uri Geller, and Peter Popoff - that the tone of his writing takes on a "well, they're done for now" sort of attitude. But these douche-nozzles are still around! Is there nothing he can do?
Kernel Hapablap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:14 PM   #9
makaya325
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,325
Originally Posted by Kernel Hapablap View Post
I feel bad for Randi. I have been reading his books recently, some of which were written in the 80's, and in them, he has so thoroughly debunked the likes of, for example, Uri Geller, and Peter Popoff - that the tone of his writing takes on a "well, they're done for now" sort of attitude. But these douche-nozzles are still around! Is there nothing he can do?
These scammers and charlatans want to get revenge on Randi, and that is by spreading lies.
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Questioninggeller
Illuminator
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,048
Randi wrote:

Quote:
...
Yes! You finally got something right, "journalist"! I flooded the media, law enforcement, the U.S. Postal Service, and New Jersey police, with that document, and later related the entire matter to an audience at Cal Tech. But you forgot (?) to mention that on that same occasion, as I finished reading the document, I took the opportunity of flooring a nasty chap who had made similar accusations about me, and had been boasting about it loudly. One shot, to the chops. He went down, and was carried out. VERY satisfying, I assure you. Want some, Mr. Kapnistos? I got some...
...
I remember reading about that.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Questioninggeller
Illuminator
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,048
UFOs and the Bible

Originally Posted by jahbrations View Post
I just read this crazy article called "Uri Geller and the YouTube Video Smear" by Peter Fotis Kapnistos, and I was blown away by the lowdown accusations of the author.
Search google for "Peter Fotis Kapnistos". There's some funny articles, the guy is crazy.

The following is his own words:

Quote:
Interview with Peter Fotis Kapnistos, American Journalist
Paul Dale Roberts
Alienseekernews.com
February 20 2009
...
Just before dawn on Saturday, April 20, 1974, as I sat near the port of the Aegean island of Mykonos, I met a Man in Black who telepathically revealed to me a metal seal, the cap of a well pipe in the flagstone near my feet, with the design of what he said was the universe engraved on it. The man was well dressed, like a bridegroom, or a young business executive. I could hear his soft voice in my mind with perfect clarity. He told me that his father had claimed the judgment of Hitler's soul. Astonished by that weird idea, I tried to get up from my chair and walk on. But the stranger stopped me. Stepping forward, he stretched out both his arms with his fingers extended in my direction. Then he turned and looked across the bay. Dawn had arrived. But a thick black line or dark rectangular object blocked out part of the orange sun.

I heard him say, Peter, will you look at me? When I did, the man fixed his concentration and asked me; do you know what I must do?

He then broke the metal seal by melting its small central rod with a forceful gaze. I could see a cloud of steam or vapor swirling around his forehead. I heard the loud trumpet-blast of a ship's horn, but I didn't see any large boats moving in the harbor. He walked towards me and said; know the faith, as he passed by my chair. Then he disappeared into the village footpaths behind me. The sun looked normal again.
...
If we describe those mysterious aerial phenomena in the Bible as UFOs, some critics wrongly take it for granted that we have somehow tried to identify them as products of alien technology. But that, of course, doesn't really mean a thing, because the word technology can imply anything from a pair of synthetic slippers to an array of galactic supercomputers. What's more, the Bible seems to describe baffling events like time dilation, such as the stopping of the sun's movement in the sky.
...
Paul: What do you think the alien agenda is?

Peter: There are possibly several alien agendas, according to the exopolitics of Michael Salla and Alex Collier. Just as there are many life forms in the ocean, there are perhaps many different types of intelligent extraterrestrials. Reports of small beings with outsized heads and locust eyes could represent an agenda to manipulate life on earth in a way that might be harmful to humans. If they are occupants of unidentified submersible objects or USOs, they could be mining our planet's oceans for natural resources. Criminal experiments on humans that were abducted could have a sinister aspect with long-term consequences. If they feed on human endocrine products, as some writers have suggested, perhaps they see humans as just another type of core resource.
...
Some people accuse me of saying that Aleister Crowley was Hitler. But that's not true. We know that Hitler had up to three or four doubles or political decoys. I merely suggested that Crowley might have been one of them. After all, he was an originator of the supernatural ideas of Nazism and even wrote the nonsense that when he was born, a few hairs on his chest formed the shape of a swastika.
...
Yes, I have been to Santorini a few times. I did museum photography for Spiridon Marinatos, the archaeologist who discovered the ruins there. Atlantis was a global bronze-age civilization with its hub probably in Santorini. A volcano destroyed it. The sound of that volcano blast could be heard as far away as Spain. Its soot and ashes destroyed all vegetation in the entire Mediterranean. But don't make the mistake of trying to date Atlantis with the volcano. That was only the last of a long series of eruptions. The very old civilization of Atlantis was far more ancient than the last eruption we know of.
...
So Peter Fotis Kapnistos believes he had an experience with a man in black, Crowley was a double for Hitler, he believes Atlantis existed, he knows of an "alien agenda," and websites choose to associate with this type of thinking?
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:12 AM   #12
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,093
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Whether such documentation can be produced or not, the fact that Randi was not arrested as a result of this incident proves the truth of what he says.
Limbo is aware of this as he/she had started a thread on this libel in this thread.

The subsequent backpedalling by Limba was embarrassing.

But it doesn't seem to have stopped Limbo spreading the unsubstantiated muck.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:19 AM   #13
Limbo
Jedi Consular
 
Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Limbo is aware of this as he/she had started a thread on this libel in this thread.

The subsequent backpedalling by Limba was embarrassing.

But it doesn't seem to have stopped Limbo spreading the unsubstantiated muck.

Aware of what? The scandal? Yes, I was aware of it. How is that "backpedaling", exactly?

Or perhaps you think that "the fact that Randi was not arrested as a result of this incident proves the truth of what he says" is what I should be aware of. If you're willing to make that fanboi assumption, go right ahead. I'm not. Such an assumption, coming from the "skeptical" folk, smacks of hypocrisy. I doubt Randi fanbois would make such a generous assumption if the tables were reversed.
__________________
"Faith in what?" he asked himself, adrift in limbo.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."

Last edited by Limbo; 23rd April 2009 at 07:24 AM.
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:10 AM   #14
Ysidro
I'm watching you
 
Ysidro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,320
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Aware of what? The scandal? Yes, I was aware of it. How is that "backpedaling", exactly?

Or perhaps you think that "the fact that Randi was not arrested as a result of this incident proves the truth of what he says" is what I should be aware of. If you're willing to make that fanboi assumption, go right ahead. I'm not. Such an assumption, coming from the "skeptical" folk, smacks of hypocrisy. I doubt Randi fanbois would make such a generous assumption if the tables were reversed.
Ok then. Call the cops. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Well? Let me guess "I'm not going to do your homework for you" or some other phrase will be your reply. And then I'll point out you made the claim and we'll go back and forth for awhile while you continue to slander and libel someone.

There, I think I just summed up the next five pages. Do I get the million?
__________________
This is a sig file. Does anyone even read this stuff?
Ysidro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:36 AM   #15
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,093
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Aware of what? The scandal? Yes, I was aware of it. How is that "backpedaling", exactly?

Or perhaps you think that "the fact that Randi was not arrested as a result of this incident proves the truth of what he says" is what I should be aware of. If you're willing to make that fanboi assumption, go right ahead. I'm not. Such an assumption, coming from the "skeptical" folk, smacks of hypocrisy. I doubt Randi fanbois would make such a generous assumption if the tables were reversed.
I was referring to the original thread you started and your one and only mealy-mouthed follow up post in it, as you well know.

Quite a number of posters gave their opinions of you rehashing this libel, and continuing it here as though you were unaware of this is disingenuous.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 23rd April 2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:47 AM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,705
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Aware of what? The scandal? Yes, I was aware of it. How is that "backpedaling", exactly?

Or perhaps you think that "the fact that Randi was not arrested as a result of this incident proves the truth of what he says" is what I should be aware of. If you're willing to make that fanboi assumption, go right ahead. I'm not. Such an assumption, coming from the "skeptical" folk, smacks of hypocrisy. I doubt Randi fanbois would make such a generous assumption if the tables were reversed.
Snicker.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:02 AM   #17
Senex
Philosopher
 
Senex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: School for Rumpology, CT
Posts: 5,834
Some of us like to use our spare time on the internet for the betterment of ourselves and others. I for one would love to know who to write to make whoever wrote this crap about about Mr. Randi think twice about slandering people on the internet.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 05:43 PM   #18
George 152
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,012
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I was referring to the original thread you started and your one and only mealy-mouthed follow up post in it, as you well know.

Quite a number of posters gave their opinions of you rehashing this libel, and continuing it here as though you were unaware of this is disingenuous.
And the libellers shouldn't think for one moment that Randi won't take action.
A certain Canadian 'psychic' beat a court case by dying (which was a surprise to him)..
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 05:48 PM   #19
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,705
Originally Posted by George152 View Post
And the libellers shouldn't think for one moment that Randi won't take action.
A certain Canadian 'psychic' beat a court case by dying (which was a surprise to him)..
Well not such a surprise for Earl, actually. The scuttlebutt at the time was that he committed suicide.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:20 PM   #20
Limbo
Jedi Consular
 
Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I was referring to the original thread you started and your one and only mealy-mouthed follow up post in it, as you well know.

Quite a number of posters gave their opinions of you rehashing this libel, and continuing it here as though you were unaware of this is disingenuous.

I guess I might be a little pissed too if someone questioned the integrity and honesty of my hero and asked for some sort of evidence to back up his story.
__________________
"Faith in what?" he asked himself, adrift in limbo.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,705
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
I guess I might be a little pissed too if someone questioned the integrity and honesty of my hero and asked for some sort of evidence to back up his story.
Randi is not My Hero. This crap has been all over the Internet for years. Considering the number of idiots who hate Randi, do you not think that at least one of them would have pursued this story if it was true?

The fact that nothing has come of this, provides proof that Randi is innocent of the claims made. If you think there is something to it, phone the police.

I am a little pissed by idiots, innuendo, and liars.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 04:58 AM   #22
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,198
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
I guess I might be a little pissed too if someone questioned the integrity and honesty of my hero and asked for some sort of evidence to back up his story.
Randi is not my hero. But, the accusation that he is a pederast is a sleazy one, with nothing to back it up. I have enough faith in human nature to hope many people would find such an unfounded accusation disgusting, no matter whom it was levied against. Stating that we are doing so simply because James Randi, our alleged hero, is the one accused is downright stupid.

If someone is going to call anyone a pedophile, then they should be prepared to follow through with some concrete evidence or shut the hell up. It's not a charge to be made or taken lightly. Perhaps you are willing to take it at face value, but others are not. Since you apparently are, then put your money where your mouth is, and call the police.
__________________
"It's obvious that you seem to be threatened by me for some reason and I find that extremely amusing." - Jodie

Last edited by desertgal; 24th April 2009 at 05:04 AM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 05:54 AM   #23
AndyD
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 522
Quote:
Today, over half of the Swiss population believes that William Tell really lived. A modern scientific view of the Tell account implies that any healthy adult male should be able to reproduce his success. But in reality, William Tell represents one in a million.
William Tell was real because over half the Swiss population believes so? If this is his standard of evidence, I'm less than convinced. If I found that sort of appeal to popularity convincing, I'd be a Catholic.

About.com: Urban Legends assures us that 65% of Brits believe King Arthur was real yet only 47% believe Richard the Lionheart ever lived. 58% think the fictional Sherlock Holmes was real and 51% give Robin Hood the thumbs up.

Or, to put it another way "over half of the British population believes that fictional characters were real whilst almost half believe the very real Richard the Lionheart was fictional". So much for the general public's grasp of reality.

If historians can't even determine beyond doubt that William Tell even existed (and the overwhelming consensus seems to be that he's fictional), it's going to be an uphill battle to convince me to take legendary superhuman tales about him at face value, no matter how many people think he was real.

Last edited by AndyD; 24th April 2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: My spirit guides failed me repeatedly - again
AndyD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 07:52 AM   #24
chillzero
Penultimate Amazing
 
chillzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,546
Mod WarningSeveral posts removed. Please remember to post on topic, and not to bicker over personal issues in threads.
Posted By:chillzero
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 08:05 AM   #25
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus
 
Drudgewire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9,421
Since the non-personal issue part of my post was removed too, I'd like to point out I STILL would love to see a youtube of Randi knocking somebody on his rump.
__________________
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet

Last edited by chillzero; 24th April 2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Removing mod box
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 08:52 AM   #26
Senex
Philosopher
 
Senex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: School for Rumpology, CT
Posts: 5,834
Edited by chillzero:  Edited to remove quoted mod box, and comments. Do not comment on moderation in threads.

On-topic, people who disagree with others and fabricate reasons that their opposition is immoral should be lit up. Can someone provide something I can tangibly use my outrage at?

Last edited by chillzero; 24th April 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 10:36 AM   #27
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,783
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
I guess I might be a little pissed too if someone questioned the integrity and honesty of my hero and asked for some sort of evidence to back up his story.
It's not about that. One thing that makes skeptics unpopular is that they hold the same standard for everybody. The fact that we don't follow conventional partisanship is just not accepted generally as even possible, much less understood.

Truth is: if an accuser was slandering somebody I didn't like (eg: the Pope) and asserted that he didn't need proof, I'd call that accuser a sleazebag, too.

This assignment of burden of proof to the claimant is not just a skeptical thing: slander and libel are actionable in most nations, and people who invent or circulate false and harmful claims should expect punishment via the law.
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 10:55 AM   #28
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,634
Limbo...look to your own life and morality here. It's in serious question. In the end, you know the truth but are posting still because this is the "internet" and not reality to you. It's like going up to someones house and spray painting on it, yet here, you can claim credit and still not feel like it is something you did personally. But, it is.

Just because you can't get "caught" doesn't make it morally correct and in the end that reflection will still be upon you and how the world and even you yourself feel about you.

Do yourself a favor. Think and act like you would in "real" life, because this is "real" and sadly these posts of yours are going to eat your soul away.
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 11:04 AM   #29
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,783
Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Truth is: if an accuser was slandering somebody I didn't like (eg: the Pope) and asserted that he didn't need proof, I'd call that accuser a sleazebag, too.
I just thought of a concrete example...

Back about ten years ago when there was that tragic death during that quack therapy called holding therapy (treating kids that don't bond with their adopted mothers by squashing them in a sleeping bag and re-enacting birth &c). The kids are often stripped down to their underwear, to get as close as possible to their 'birthday suit'.

A journalist wrote that that these quacks invented a therapy where they have to strip kids down to their underwear and hold them entirely because they were sexually attracted to juveniles.

I wrote a letter to the editor to point out that while there was no question that these people were quacks, bu there was no evidence for these other serious allegations, and it behooves a newspaper to think twice about such serious slander.



It's considered very serious by the law because the impact is so hard to reverse despite proving one's innocence.
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by blutoski; 24th April 2009 at 12:21 PM.
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 03:09 PM   #30
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 22,634
very good point. Slander and spreading lies only reflects back on the person telling the lies. Unless Uri himself is posting this stuff, it's going to look bad for him.
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 03:13 PM   #31
Limbo
Jedi Consular
 
Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by kittynh View Post
Limbo...look to your own life and morality here. It's in serious question. In the end, you know the truth but are posting still because this is the "internet" and not reality to you. It's like going up to someones house and spray painting on it, yet here, you can claim credit and still not feel like it is something you did personally. But, it is.

Just because you can't get "caught" doesn't make it morally correct and in the end that reflection will still be upon you and how the world and even you yourself feel about you.

Do yourself a favor. Think and act like you would in "real" life, because this is "real" and sadly these posts of yours are going to eat your soul away.

It's just that the whole False Memory Syndrome Foundation accused members thing concerns me a little. There is a potential for a conflict of interest, perhaps? Can anyone tell me more about Randi's involvement with the False Memory Syndrome Foundation? Note I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm just looking for more information. In and of itself, there's nothing wrong with that. Obviously I'm not a Randi fan, but if I was I'm sure I would be offended by my posts too. I can understand that. But it seems to me that the principles of skepticism require a little more detachment from you guys. You're too close to the issue to think impartially. You guys are way, way too emotional about it. You guys need to step back from the pull of personal loyalty, from your admiration of Randi, and calm down, and really examine your partiality.
__________________
"Faith in what?" he asked himself, adrift in limbo.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."

Last edited by Limbo; 24th April 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 03:37 PM   #32
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,783
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
It's just that the whole False Memory Syndrome Foundation accused members thing concerns me a little. There is a potential for a conflict of interest, perhaps? Can anyone tell me more about Randi's involvement with the False Memory Syndrome Foundation? Note I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm just looking for more information. In and of itself, there's nothing wrong with that. Obviously I'm not a Randi fan, but if I was I'm sure I would be offended by my posts too. I can understand that. But it seems to me that the principles of skepticism require a little more detachment from you guys. You're too close to the issue to think impartially. You guys are way, way too emotional about it. You guys need to step back from the pull of personal loyalty, from your admiration of Randi, and calm down, and really examine your partiality.
Ah, yes... the "non-apology-apology" that is so popular with politicians.

My favourite version: [Pope Forgives Molested Children]

Can we seek your forgiveness for being so irrationaly upset with you for merely circulating shocking slander?
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 03:44 PM   #33
kerikiwi
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,175
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
But it seems to me that the principles of skepticism require a little more detachment from you guys. You're too close to the issue to think impartially. You guys are way, way too emotional about it. You guys need to step back from the pull of personal loyalty, from your admiration of Randi, and calm down, and really examine your partiality.
Can you be specific as to which 'guys' you are referring to?
Give an example of 'too emotional', 'personal loyalty' and 'partiality'?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 03:45 PM   #34
Limbo
Jedi Consular
 
Limbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
Can you be specific as to which 'guys' you are referring to?
Give an example of 'too emotional', 'personal loyalty' and 'partiality'?

You know who you are.
__________________
"Faith in what?" he asked himself, adrift in limbo.

"Faith in faith," he replied. "It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief."
Limbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 03:55 PM   #35
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,783
User CP... Edit Ignore List... Add a Member to Your List... "limbo"... [Okay]
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 04:01 PM   #36
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,198
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Can anyone tell me more about Randi's involvement with the False Memory Syndrome Foundation?
If you read the description of FMSF, I think it is fairly apparent that Randi brings the principles of skepticism to the advisory board, along with a number of other board members.

Quote:
But it seems to me that the principles of skepticism require a little more detachment from you guys. You're too close to the issue to think impartially. You guys are way, way too emotional about it. You guys need to step back from the pull of personal loyalty, from your admiration of Randi, and calm down, and really examine your partiality.
So, you have some impartial evidence that shows these allegations are true, then? Other than theories about Randi's own suppressed memories?
__________________
"It's obvious that you seem to be threatened by me for some reason and I find that extremely amusing." - Jodie
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 04:25 PM   #37
The Professor
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 718
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
"Randi claimed that he made the tape under the direction of the police chief of Rumson, New Jersey, to entrap harassing obscene callers."

Is there a copy of any kind of police documentation that would prove this?
These tapes came out in another legal case I believe. They seem to be a matter of public record I would guess.

I've heard that the police that were supposedly involved have died.
The Professor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 04:30 PM   #38
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,705
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
These tapes came out in another legal case I believe. They seem to be a matter of public record I would guess.

I've heard that the police that were supposedly involved have died.
"I've heard that the police that were supposedly involved have died."? OK.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 04:35 PM   #39
The Professor
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 718
I could be wrong. If so .... Why haven't they been asked about this?
The tapes are extremely obvious.
The Professor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2009, 04:37 PM   #40
Azrael 5
Philosopher
 
Azrael 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,897
Snipped from an email sent to me by The Professor:
Quote:
Were you the one who molested the young boys like your hero did? Is that why you want to be like him.
I think most know the implication of "hero".
__________________
"I achieve these results through a mixture of magic,misdirection,suggestion and showmanship"-Derren Brown
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.